Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Another Dabo quote about fans that don't believe
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 69
| visibility 1

Another Dabo quote about fans that don't believe

Jul 19, 2009, 12:14 AM

"You've got to believe. If you don't believe, don't come. It's that simple. Be all in or not. You don't have to like me, hey, you don't have to believe in me but believe in these kids, believe in Clemson University, otherwise stay home. It's really that simple."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Another Dabo quote about fans that don't believe

Jul 19, 2009, 12:32 AM

**AMEN**

Dabo also said, " Steve Spurrier's a believer ".***

Jul 19, 2009, 8:46 AM

That should be reposted here everyday...***

Jul 19, 2009, 12:41 AM

I agree again completely***

Jul 19, 2009, 12:46 AM

and u get a point***

Jul 19, 2009, 12:52 AM

At least he's smart enough to know that a lot of

Jul 19, 2009, 12:54 AM

Clemson fans DON'T believe in him. I appreciate him putting the kids first.

And a lot DO***

Jul 19, 2009, 1:00 AM

And even more do believe...

Jul 19, 2009, 1:13 AM [ in reply to At least he's smart enough to know that a lot of ]

or at least are willing to wait a year or so to make up their minds. If Tommy Bowden were nearly as unpopular as he seemed to be on here, Death Valley would have been nearly empty for many games the last few years. It's the vocal minority that give a misguided view of the "fanbase", a term I personally can't stand. The vast majority of Clemson fans come to the games for the sake of the game and not because of the identity of the coach.

Amen to that.***

Jul 19, 2009, 10:46 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most fans are rational, realistic, & cautiously optimistic!***

Jul 19, 2009, 11:24 AM [ in reply to And even more do believe... ]

Unfortunately, you're none of the three.***

Jul 19, 2009, 12:57 PM

Not to a pumper like you! no. Go call your buddy Shyatt!!***

Jul 19, 2009, 4:14 PM

Re: At least he's smart enough to know that a lot of

Jul 19, 2009, 8:43 AM [ in reply to At least he's smart enough to know that a lot of ]

I am one of those fans.His actions last year on the field to please the fans does not mean that he will be a great head coach.Dabo and Tommy now have both made promises to the fan base.I will believe when i see this team come out and do what is expected of it by winning the ACC.Football wise,Clemson should never ever lose to the likes of NC State,Maryland,Virginia,Wake Forest,TCU,and South Carolina.If Dabo wants to convince us doubtere that he is the man,win 10 games or more next year and i will believe.

I don't think you will find too many people "expecting" us

Jul 19, 2009, 9:40 AM

to win the ACC or 10 games. That is a very lofty expectation for next season and that kind of thinking just sets you up for disappointment. I certainly will hope that we win the conference next year and 10 or more games, but I'm not expecting it. That way I will be very excited when it happens, not merely satisfied.

Re: I don't think you will find too many people "expecting" us

Jul 19, 2009, 12:29 PM

The ACC is a weak league.Dabo has no excuse winning less than 8 or 9 games.

I sorta look at this way.............

Aug 18, 2009, 8:08 PM [ in reply to At least he's smart enough to know that a lot of ]

If I didn't already believe in Clemson University and the young folks who represent her,there's nothing Dabo or anyone else could say to get me to join IPTAY and buy season tix every year and stand and scream my stupid head off at every game.

I've been "all in" my entire life and Dabo's gonna get all the support me and the Boss can muster.

Jingoism time's over. There's a bunch of us who think there's considerable talent on this team and its time to prove it on the field. I think Dabo's the man to do the proving.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2009, 8:44 AM

YOU TELL EM DABO,I BELIEVE 110 PERCENT. I REALLY BELIEVE THAT THESE MEN WILL PLAY THEIR HEARTS OUT FOR YOU....

Jul 19, 2009, 8:51 AM

It is not about the kids playing their hearts out.Its about winning the game.

Aug 19, 2009, 4:39 AM

You are wrong...bottom line.

I don't care if it's Clemson or Coastal Carolina, Alabama or App. State, Florida or Furman...it IS about kids playing their hearts out!

The fact is that some fans (I'm assuming you are one of them) only invest their $$$ at this point in their lives. Don't try and discount the fact that these young people go above and beyond for their teams.

To disparage them because you sit at home, or even in the stands and have a "sideline opinion" is sad. They give the effort...you should give the respect.

We all want to win, players and fans alike...but they are sacrificing, while you, my friend...are b##ching on an internet forum. NO CONTEST!

That is the point. They will play hard for the guy. I think

Jul 19, 2009, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Another Dabo quote about fans that don't believe ]

we all know, they didn't always play hard for Tommy. And when it got tough, they definitely could not look to Tommy for inspiration. There was nothing about his demeanor the showed confidence. NOTHING. Every coach we have now is a competitor. I can't wait to see if it will carry over to the team, but at least we won't have to watch a guy walking away from the action in heated moments, chewing on grass, and looking like somebody just ran over his dog.

Re: That is the point. They will play hard for the guy. I think

Jul 19, 2009, 9:10 AM

Is it enough just to play hard every game?I thought we played the game to win championships.If playing hard and not winning is believing,i am not all in.

Win.

Jul 19, 2009, 9:16 AM

The coach's job is to win.

We have cheerleaders in uniform to motivate the fans. Just win, Coach. The fans will take care of their end very well. Fans have not been the problem at Clemson, ever.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Win.

Jul 19, 2009, 9:21 AM

How come so many Clemson fans dont get that simple fact?

Dabo wasn't my first choice, but it is unproductive to not

Jul 19, 2009, 11:01 AM

give our full support to him as Clemson's coach. If he proves to be unable to take Clemson to the ACC title game in the next several years then I think everyone, myself included, will be looking for options. I believe that Clemson, FSU, Miami, North Carolina, Ga Tech and Va Tech should be the yearly forces in the ACC, just like Florida, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Alabama, and Auburn are in the SEC.

These schools represent the best tradition of winning in their respective conferences, and should only on rare occassions not be one of the favorites to win their respective divisions in their conferences.

For that reason, Dabo needs to at least get us to the ACC title game in the next 2/3 years, as their will certainly be enough talent at Clemson to do so.

Re: Dabo wasn't my first choice, but it is unproductive to n

Jul 19, 2009, 11:07 AM

Right on. I cant understand why people are already hating on the guy who came in midseason and saved us from what was going to be a losing, embarrassing season. What he lacks in experience he has made up for in his choice of assistants (minus Napier) and passion for the game. I feel confident that he will get us to the ACC championship game in the next two to three years and I think we should all be behind him for at least two seasons. The way most people on this board are, I dont think any HC would want to come here. You are on the hot seat with some people here before you even get started.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one is hating on the guy. By not being "all in" .......

Jul 19, 2009, 12:08 PM

I'm NOT a hater, simply an adult that thinks talk is cheap, that cute slogans are simply that, and is tired of disappointment, mediocrity, failed expectations, and a lot of BS.

Dabo can say all he wants, but I think he needs to be careful with calling fans out. Everyone isn't all in, but everyone knows he's the coach and want Clemson to be successful and support him and the team. If they are cautiously optimistic they should be respected for that opinion, which is their right. This guy wasn't even coaching a few years ago and just got handed the keys to the castle when he hadn't earned it nor paid his dues and worked his way up. Therefore, he needs to earn that position, which means winning, not running his mouth. TB ran his mouth a lot and look where he is now!

I'm sorry but you have got way to much patience

Jul 19, 2009, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Dabo wasn't my first choice, but it is unproductive to not ]

Dabo does not have several years to win the division or championship. I am guessing 3 at the most.

Because to many of them are ok with mediocrity.***

Jul 19, 2009, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Win. ]

Then stay home. I've read your posts here and on CUTigers.

Jul 19, 2009, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Re: That is the point. They will play hard for the guy. I think ]

You are one negative nellie. It was more fun to watch the last 7 games last year than it has been in a long time. If we had a Qb with some guts, we could have been 5-2 in that stretch. As I've said many times, Willy is my choice to lead us this year, but I also like Parker; and both of them have more fire in their belly than Harper. And whoever wins the battle will have earned it on the field. Harper was annointed the starter by Bowden and Spence without ever facing an opponent. Bowden always said the best players will play, but that was many times not the case. Dabo will bench Willy, Sapp, Da'Quan or whoever if they don't lay it on the line. Go back and look at the first time we beat FSU under Bowden and watch Charlie's run on the goal line where he lost a helmet. that is what playing hard will do for you: not running out of bounds versus Maryland because you did not want to take a hit from a linebacker, and you have to settle for a field goal that ultimately cost us the game.

Wow. That rant looked like one of CJ's all over the field runs.

Re: Then stay home. I've read your posts here and on CUTigers.

Jul 19, 2009, 9:30 AM

Is it negative to expect your coach to win football games?

No, but I wouldn't hobble a horse before he came out of the

Jul 19, 2009, 9:58 AM

gate either. The guy went 4-3. Came within ahair of beating the team Walt is in luuuuuhhhve with, wothout CJ, and after an ill advised throw by a senior receiver on a trick play. We had Nebraska on the ropes, with a QB that passedupp a wide open CJ many , many times and a defense that once again, folded when they could have stood up and won the game.

Dabo has gotten coaches to come to work at Clemson that seem like they love for the game itself. The exact oppposite of Bowden, who according to a friend of mine once said that the thing he hated most about coaching was , " the games ". Dabo, wehn asked what he was doning this July said, " Just sittin' on the couch eatin' cheetos and dreamin' about the first game ". He beat BC, who Bowden found a way to lose to everytime. He beat The Coots when everyone knew that was gonna be a loss. Give him a chance.

He is being given a chance, but good grief, some of you ....

Jul 19, 2009, 12:18 PM

folks think if we aren't screaming Dabo's name off the roof tops and pledging in Dabo we trust that we aren't true fans. That's nonsense and makes not only you, but Clemson, look stupid. Everyone has a right to our opinion. And being cautiously optimistic is not only our right, but given Clemson football since 1991, pretty smart emotionally!

You know TNET, realism & cautious optimism = negative .....

Jul 19, 2009, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Then stay home. I've read your posts here and on CUTigers. ]

to get called a TRUE Tiger fan or to be labeled positive you have to blindly follow our president, AD, & coaches. You have to not point out anything real or obvious, but put on those orange colored glasses and stick your head in the sand like an ostrich and go all in.

Re: You know TNET, realism & cautious optimism = negative .....

Jul 19, 2009, 12:58 PM

Last year at this time we were being told how great the team was and would win the ACC.The coaches went along with tht hype.I cannot express the letdown i felt last season.When Dabo makes his believe statement or about being all in,i prefer to wait and see the results on the field this year.We have been let down too many times since Danny left.I was not a member of the Tommy Bowden cult and will not proclaim Dabo as a great coach until he does sometihng great.

and we went 4-3 down the stretch. Nothing to brag about.

Jul 19, 2009, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Then stay home. I've read your posts here and on CUTigers. ]

I don't care how exciting we are I just want to win. Danny Ford'd brand of football to many was not exciting but he won. When people look back on a career they don't dwell on how exciting you were they remember wins and losses.

Re: That is the point. They will play hard for the guy. I think

Jul 19, 2009, 9:48 AM [ in reply to That is the point. They will play hard for the guy. I think ]

Spud, I'm with ya man. The goal for all Clemson fans is for Clemson to win, that goes without saying. For people not to see the difference in the way the team played under Dabo and Tommy are either blind or just don't know anything about football at all.

LOL! The team was better but it wasn't night & day. Let's

Jul 19, 2009, 12:14 PM

be honest, the offense & play calling those last few games left a LOT to be desired.

Hiring Dabo was a huge gamble whether some of you folks ant to admit it or not, then he made a huge gamble with his choice of OC.

Frankly, these guys DO have a lot to prove. Rather than calling out the fans, these guys should shut up, coach, and get our support & respect the old fashioned way ... earn it!

You think Danny Ford cared about cheap slogans, or making his team tough and winning games and letting the rest take care of itself?

LOL. Believe what? That we win every game 45-0?

Jul 19, 2009, 9:28 AM

That we win the ACC this year? What?

I like Dabo and think we have a pretty good chance to win the division this year but so do FSU, State, and Wake.

Puffing out your chest and saying "I'm all in" over and over sounds good but don't mean much.

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bingo***

Jul 19, 2009, 10:59 AM

To some it does mean a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Jul 19, 2009, 11:27 AM [ in reply to LOL. Believe what? That we win every game 45-0? ]

Cease with your pointless details....Pishaw***

Jul 19, 2009, 6:42 PM [ in reply to LOL. Believe what? That we win every game 45-0? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2009, 9:42 AM

Did not have the slogan finish the job too?How did that go?

"you don't have to believe in me "

Jul 19, 2009, 10:58 AM

Well, yeah, we kinda do have to believe in you. Seeing as how you're the highest paid coach on campus and given the reigns of our football program. We have to believe you are going to win. You will be held to the same standards as your predecessors. Believe that.

Re: "you don't have to believe in me "

Jul 19, 2009, 12:18 PM

You got that right.

Jul 19, 2009, 12:27 PM

We supported Bowden for ten years because he said the right things.When it comes do to it,all of Dabos quotes,cheerleading antics,and displays of team unity dont matter.If Dabo can coach these kids to ACC titles and win much bigger than Bowden,he will have done his job and be deserving to be called a great coach.If his kids play hard but cannot win more 7 wins a year,he will be fired in five years or less.Football is about winning nothing less.

That's like saying I'm not American if I don't .........

Jul 19, 2009, 12:35 PM

buy the BS Obama is selling!

I think Dabo needs to be VERY careful calling out fans!

I support Clemson, ergo, I support Dabo, but before I give my full respect & before I get giddy and go "all in", he's going to have to show me more than I've seen so far and he's going to have to earn it! which BTW is the opinion of pretty much every fan, alum, & IPTAY donor I know OFF Tnet. It's called "cautious optimism" and being rational & realistic.

But hey this is Tnet, so me, and the average fan that thinks like me, despite my CU diploma & IPTAY membership, isn't a true tiger nor a real fan! Whatever!

Re: That's like saying I'm not American if I don't .........

Jul 19, 2009, 12:47 PM

agreed

Re: That's like saying I'm not American if I don't .........

Jul 19, 2009, 12:56 PM [ in reply to That's like saying I'm not American if I don't ......... ]

The only "BS" Dabo seems to be selling is the Team. He said you might not like him but at least get behind the team and believe in what they can accomplish. It looks like he is saying that if you dont believe this team can win, then dont bother going to the games. I feel the same way. I will be behind Dabo now until he proves he cant put us in a position to win. Other than FSU last year, we were put in a postion to win every game we played with a patchwork staff and the old rob spence bubble screen playbook. I dont think you arent a true tiger or a real fan because I know you support the team.

I support Dabo & the team because I .......

Jul 19, 2009, 1:04 PM

support Clemson. I'm simply not going "all in" because I've been "all in" all my life and I'm tired of getting my heart broken!

And let's be honest, Dabo has a LOT to prove! He has said himself that he is VERY lucky to be given this opportunity. He knows he's on a short leash and only has a few years to prove he can do what TB couldn't. It was a VERY risky & unconventional move by TDP hiring Dabo.

Therefore, he doesn't exactly have the clout to be calling out fans. I think he needs to focus on the TEAM & WINNING! Focus on the things he can control, then let the rest fall into place.

Re: I support Dabo & the team because I .......

Jul 19, 2009, 1:08 PM

"you don't have to believe in me but believe in these kids, believe in Clemson University, otherwise stay home."

I dont think hes really calling out fans. If you disagree with the above statement, then you simply arent a fan.

LOL!! Saying stay home to IPTAY members that are

Jul 19, 2009, 4:18 PM

disappointed a WR coach is our HC IS calling out the fans like it or not!!

Re: LOL!! Saying stay home to IPTAY members that are

Jul 19, 2009, 6:14 PM

"you don't have to believe in me but believe in these kids, believe in Clemson University, otherwise stay home."

I dont know one IPTAY member who cant agree to that statement. If you are going to help pay a scholarship for a kid you should be able to believe in that kid and in Clemson University. Hes not asking you to shout out his name and cheer for him, he is asking you to do that for Clemson and for the team. Since apparently you are an IPTAY member, I would assume you already do that and I cant understand how you are disagreeing with that statement.

I'm simply saying he needs to

Jul 19, 2009, 7:49 PM

focus on coaching and winning and do a lot less talking!! Esp where it concerns fan support!! Talk is cheap. TB talked plenty, but where did it get him? The best leaders lead by example and by results, not talking!!

Re: I'm simply saying he needs to

Aug 18, 2009, 9:49 PM

How exactly is he not focusing on "coaching and winning"? Media is part of the business. He gets microphones thrown in his face all the time, gets asked questions and is expected to answer them. Would you rather him be a ######## and close off all information to the public? Im not getting what you are saying here. Do you honestly believe he is spending countless hours a day practicing his media quotes instead of preparing for the season?

Was I not an American...

Jul 19, 2009, 1:13 PM [ in reply to That's like saying I'm not American if I don't ......... ]

for not buying the BS George Bush was selling?

sorry, wrong board***

Jul 19, 2009, 1:16 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But it isn't the wrong board for Blue Caddy's comment...

Jul 19, 2009, 1:26 PM

Yeah, whatever you say. Shows your bias.

My post was intended for the entire thread.....

Jul 19, 2009, 3:10 PM

don't be a jerk and think you can guess my political bent---you'd be wrong.

It was an analogy, NOT a political statement.***

Jul 19, 2009, 4:20 PM

"not buying the BS Obama's selling".........puh-leeze

Jul 19, 2009, 5:31 PM

not only was it a political statement but it invited another.......analogy or not.

My opinion and it's my right and Barry DOES suck, even

Jul 19, 2009, 7:52 PM

many of his biggest supporters are already disappointed! Barry will be a one-termer, bank on it!! I only hope America can recover from the damage his one term does!

I believe in the players and I believe in Clemson

Jul 19, 2009, 1:39 PM

but Dabo is going to have to show me first. Here's hoping that he does.

Aug 18, 2009, 7:45 PM

I love this statement. The best statement I have ever seen on here in a while. I am with you 100%. Go Tigers! These kids are great no matter what. May God be with these kids and all the other kids playing football across this country. Especially the tigers. Again, Get all in or don't be in at all.

Aug 19, 2009, 2:52 AM

That is exactly what I was trying to get fans to realize when TB was at CU. If the fans had shown more support for his players, they may have won more games. Being positive can be contagious, but so can being negative.

When Joe Torre took over as manager for the braves his first goal was to teach them how not to lose.

After the Bama loss, TB never had a chance !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with that 110%***

Aug 19, 2009, 7:41 AM

Go Tigers!!! Go Dabo!!!! Boo Birds Go Home!!!***

Aug 22, 2009, 9:50 AM

...and keep your filthy hands off my rock!***

Aug 22, 2009, 3:25 PM

but I am a fan so I am entitled to nothing less than a

Aug 22, 2009, 4:26 PM

perfect season!! I pay money for this!