Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those that say get over Rick Barnes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

For those that say get over Rick Barnes

Mar 20, 2011, 9:51 PM

the response is #### no. Clemson paid him well for his services and instead of being grateful for his time in Tiger Town he decided to slam the State of South of Carolina and our schools on his way out. That is classic ###### bag behavior. There were many reasons he decided to leave here but the school system wasn't one of them.

Barnes ought to be in a Miller Lite commercial. He needs to "man up" to the real reasons he left Clemson. Screw his choking a$$. May he have many more years of NCAA disappointments.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm with you; he's a snake.***

Mar 20, 2011, 9:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He didn't slam the state of South Carolina, that's BS. Rick

Mar 20, 2011, 9:58 PM

just left to take a better job at the time. Barnes fought for Clemson; did a lot to get our program turned around & headed in the right direction.

He also is the one who suggested to TDP that we take a good luck at Brownell.

Sounds like he had some really good advice for us, thus far. Let's see what Brownell can do with recruiting.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

luck=look, . *l****

Mar 20, 2011, 9:59 PM

Message was edited by: Crump®

Whatever. His off camera comments were elitist so

Mar 20, 2011, 10:00 PM [ in reply to He didn't slam the state of South Carolina, that's BS. Rick ]

being at University of Texas is the right fit for him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Whatever. His off camera comments were elitist so

Mar 20, 2011, 10:05 PM

The comments he made bout the physical condition of the school his daughter attended was absolutely correct. His comments led to action on that school.

He said more than just the physical condition of the school

Mar 20, 2011, 10:58 PM

He took a shot a SC Public schools in general.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=FUkoAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ps8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=1538,2957139&dq=rick+barnes+on+sc+schools&hl=en

Re: He said more than just the physical condition of the school

Mar 21, 2011, 11:00 AM

Tell me where he was wrong or lied about our schools?

He didn't leave in the middle of the night and not tell his players like some other coach we had.

Barnes apologized to the Gov. after that but I still don't know where he was wrong?

His timing was awful but that's about it.

Barnes done more for Clemson basketball than any coach we've ever had. He told the whole ACC to kiss our a$$ including Dean, Mike and the refs

Uhhhhhhhhh

Mar 20, 2011, 11:10 PM [ in reply to He didn't slam the state of South Carolina, that's BS. Rick ]

wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

How is that wrong? So, he made a comment about the

Mar 21, 2011, 1:08 PM

SC public schools system. Who hasn't made a comment or two about the SC public school system? & wasn't his daughter in a not so great school (because of zoning)?

Just curious, or was there something else that was nonfactual in my post?

Well, he did make unnecessary remarks about SC's schools. Link:

Mar 21, 2011, 9:10 PM

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=FUkoAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ps8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=1538,2957139&dq=rick+barnes+on+sc+schools&hl=en

Another thing: there is nothing wrong with SC's schools. Do a little digging and you'll be surprised to find that we have one of the best education systems in the nation (percentage that graduate high school, percentage that goes to 2 or 4 year school on scholarship). Don't buy into national education rankings. Those go off standardized testing and SAT scores which NEWSFLASH...SC schools let anyone take and report without question. Some state aren't required to and don't test (or report scores) from every student to raise their state average cough, cough..Connecticut. So I'd say that anyone saying SC's schools are bad, is dead wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually....yes he did. He specifically mentioned the

Mar 21, 2011, 8:36 AM [ in reply to He didn't slam the state of South Carolina, that's BS. Rick ]

poor education system in SC as a reason he was leaving.

I'm sure Pickens County is on par with whatever he found in Austin - plus, he could put his kids in any private school he wanted.

It was a classless thing to say and I get a small amount of enjoyment out of any Longhorns loss because of it.

Exactly, how much money was that prick making?

Mar 21, 2011, 9:15 PM

He could easily afford private school if he felt his daughter wasn't getting an adequate education.

He didn't think that until he needed an excuse to leave.

Re: Exactly, how much money was that prick making?

Mar 25, 2011, 9:22 AM

You are correct.

Re: He didn't slam the state of South Carolina, that's BS. Rick

Mar 21, 2011, 10:43 PM [ in reply to He didn't slam the state of South Carolina, that's BS. Rick ]

Way off base.....on everything.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rick who???

Mar 20, 2011, 10:00 PM

very much over him. hope he enjoys a nice long offseason

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do not regret having him

Mar 20, 2011, 10:15 PM

When I have diehard, and I mean diehard gamecock family members who looked forward to the next Clemson/UNC hoops game, to "see how many fights there were going to be," he had to have done something right. The only sport that I would rather beat another team more than the gamecocks is in basketball. UNC is my personal biggest rival in basketball, and I love the hate he created between us and them, which is probably a huge reason NC State wants him. NC State is UNC's biggest football rival, but they want to take Duke's spot as UNC's biggest basketball rival.

I think he left because of Duke and UNC, and went somewhere he felt he had more of an opportunity, and where Kansas was the only threat. He didn't want to publicly say that, and a knee jerk statement was the comment about the schools here, which I don't think he meant. Plus I know I remember he apologized after being called out by the superintendent, so what happened to forgiveness?

He was involved in Clemson football games as well, and was already being labeled "The Danny Ford of basketball."

In my opinion that is the reason everyone here hates him so much, because they can't help wonder what could have been under him. If Clemson, and some names that I will not mention that were at Clemson in the sixties took basketball more seriously then, maybe we would be more of a national presence now.

Re: I do not regret having him- most CU people see it as

Mar 20, 2011, 10:37 PM

the be all and end all. I certainly do. They don't cope well with someone leaving for another school period. It was the same with Pell as with Barnes. The reason for leaving isn't really important it is just more the fact you chose to leave. For all the good friendly things about CU we do not react well to folks when this happens

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I do not regret having him- most CU people see it as

Mar 20, 2011, 10:48 PM

I guess I have only experienced this with Barnes, I was not even born whenever Pell coached here. I think we would probably consider a move in football a lateral one, too bad we have not been in the situation to have Alabama knocking on our door, because a move like that would not be lateral, and if (People may laugh now) it were to happen with Dabo someday, he would likely jump to 'Bama in a heartbeat, but of course I am sure some were worried about Ford, and I assuming the reason 'Bama never came after him was because when Bear retired I believe we were on probation?

If Brownell continues to enhance this program I hope a job does not come open at Indiana. We need to get to the point where good coaches want to stay at Clemson in basketball. Barnes was a coach that could do more with less talent, and that's what it's going to take, along with us keeping that coach, for us to ever recruit at the level of the major basketball schools. Brownell looks like he has the ability to be that type of coach as well.

Get over Rick Barnes

Mar 20, 2011, 10:38 PM

The guy did a lot for Clemson. Got us to the tourney and the sweet 16. Challenged the elite Dean Smith (still would like to see Brownell do this to Coach K and Huckleberry). Texas was a better job. Let it go.

Re: Get over Rick Barnes

Mar 21, 2011, 12:31 PM

I agree- Barnes moved on to a better job. Thats what people in this country do. No one is slamming Bowers for going pro and "leaving his school behind" or "not finishing what he started". Who cares if he slammed the school system? Although I doubt it was his reason for leaving, it WAS and IS the truth.

Re: For those that say get over Rick Barnes

Mar 20, 2011, 10:50 PM

If Barnes could have kept his pants zipped up he might still be at Clemson.

Mar 20, 2011, 10:58 PM

Put it this way, the cheerleaders may have met his "long horn" several times since he's been there

Mar 21, 2011, 11:07 AM

Where's your proof that Rick ran with the cheerleaders?

He's been gone for along time now so I'm sure your source is safe by now

Mar 20, 2011, 11:11 PM [ in reply to Re: For those that say get over Rick Barnes ]

This always gets brought up, but I have never heard where it originated?

Don't SC schools rank at the bottom?

Mar 21, 2011, 8:17 AM

So what's the big deal?

Most of you.

That depends on what your ranking is based on...

Mar 21, 2011, 9:45 AM

if you are looking at SAT scores then yes. Of course, this is not a good measurement since many more students in SC who have no chance or intention of going to college take the SAT than in most other states. This skews the results. There have been some other ways to measure the quality of education which are a little better and SC is not doing well in those but there is much argument about the validity of all of them.

The best way to measure school success is to look at the state representation in the areas that matter such as applied sciences, engineering, medical, education, and writing nationally. I'm not familiar with an studies like this. Most often, a study of this kind would focus on how much money people make skewing the results toward those in money handling type jobs, Lawyers and MBA's. Not a good way to do it.

While schools in SC have allot of work to do, they are not as bad as some would think. Take away the national standards and let the local school boards run everything and you will see huge improvements.

Message was edited by: Smplman®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let us not be deceived by phrases about ‘Man taking charge of his own destiny.’ All that can really happen is that some men will take charge of the destiny of others. . . . The more completely we are planned the more powerful they will be. - C.S. Lewis

Why would a kid fork out the $60 to take the SAT...

Mar 21, 2011, 9:51 AM

if they have no intention of going to college?

Good question but it happens all the time in

Mar 21, 2011, 10:28 AM

SC. It is a fact. SC HS students are encouraged to take the SAT even if they don't plan to go to college. Maybe there is a some federal program funding allot of them.

I grew up in Washington State and less than 5% took the SAT at my school when I was there and they have pretty good rankings. Interesting thing is, they had their own pre-college test as do many other states. So, if you plan to attend an out of state school, you take the SAT. These are usually the very best students. Wow, look at our SAT scores!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let us not be deceived by phrases about ‘Man taking charge of his own destiny.’ All that can really happen is that some men will take charge of the destiny of others. . . . The more completely we are planned the more powerful they will be. - C.S. Lewis

I named my favorite snake after him...

Mar 21, 2011, 8:46 AM

...and I still delight in his inevitable collapse in the Dance.

That said, the freshmen comingin to play under Coach Brownell this fall were just entering elementary school when Barnes bailed on us. Tommy Bowden hadn't even set foot on campus, and 9-11 was better known as a TV show with voice-overs by William Shatner, not international terrorism.

Barnes was the girl who dumped you just before the senior prom to date the quarterback. It stung for quite a while.

But as Hank Snow said: "It don't hurt anymore..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y_9KLPKa_I

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like rick Barnes, he was good for Clemson BB, lay off

Mar 21, 2011, 9:57 AM

its been almost 15 yrs

Rick left us 13 years ago and we sit here today....

Mar 21, 2011, 11:09 AM

Rick had ONE MORE WIN in the NCAA tournament as the Clemson coach than Brad does at this point. One more. Rick went to the ACC semifinal ONCE...Brad has already done that in year one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you mean Rick got one more win at Clemson

Mar 21, 2011, 11:32 AM

Than Coach Brownell? Because I feel certain he's got more than 1 more NCAA tournament win than coach Brownell in his career.

exactly...Rick only had two NCAA wins at Clemson

Mar 21, 2011, 11:39 AM

Brad's already got one.

OK

Mar 21, 2011, 11:45 AM

Rick was only here for 4 years. He took over (unbelievably) a program in worse shape and only 64 teams got in the tourney during his time (this years team would not have made it, or would have had a much tougher "1st round" draw. This is nothing against coach Brownell (he's gonna do great things here). Its to give a more proper prospective on the good things coach Barnes did. Lay off re man. He was a good coach for us and just moved up to a better job. If the current administration isn't careful, the same thing could happen with coach Brownell too.

Thank you for getting it...***

Mar 24, 2011, 9:40 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But back in Barnes time.....

Mar 25, 2011, 9:07 AM [ in reply to OK ]

the ACC would send practically the whole conference to the dance. The mid-majors have risen since those days and now take up several tournament slots each year. The ACC was certainly more difficult in those times, but the days when you could cruise into the dance after going 7-9 in ACC play are over.
And I don't think there's a tougher draw than the crap we had to go through this year with the whole travel fiasco.
It is hard to get into the tournament now for different reasons than it was then. Back then, it was because the ACC is like the Big East is now. Now, there are so many established mid-majors that you can't just tag along if you are in a major conference and finish 7-9.
That being said, yes, Barnes is a good coach.

Difference being Rick lost in the Sweet 16 not the round of

Mar 24, 2011, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Rick left us 13 years ago and we sit here today.... ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yet he only defeated double digit seeds....

Mar 25, 2011, 9:08 AM

which is fine, but let's not pretend that his victories were over teams as good as even West Virginia was this year. We beat Miami (Ohio) and Tulsa that year. We were certainly impressive against Minnesota before coming up short.

Re: Yet he only defeated double digit seeds....

Mar 25, 2011, 9:27 AM

Minnesota with it's band of travelling all-stars that never set foot in a classroom.

Barnes is liar. I agree. Hope he chokes forever.***

Mar 21, 2011, 11:37 AM

nm

Re: Barnes is liar. I agree. Hope he chokes forever.***

Mar 21, 2011, 2:24 PM

How is Barnes a lair????

i agree...get over it! move on. why in the world do you

Mar 21, 2011, 1:57 PM

continue to whine about it? he does not care, and most everyone here does not care. so let go.
he did well while he was here and gave us a taste of winning.
it is amazing that people have this hatred for Shyatt b/c he let the program go back down. you have to remember, this is big business.
heck, i do not blame him for going to TX-more money, better prestige...

isn't Shyatt one of the main reason Florida has done so well

Mar 25, 2011, 7:48 AM

and won national championships in basketball recently??

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: isn't Shyatt one of the main reason Florida has done so well

Mar 25, 2011, 9:28 AM

Shyatt is a great assistant coach, but he is not cut out to be a head coach. His time at Clemson proved that.

Barnes would have been an idiot not to go to Texas...

Mar 24, 2011, 6:52 PM

Yes, he was paid well at Clemson, but not the kind of money Texas pays. And though he had raised the level of excitement around basketball at Clemson, I think he looked around and saw that the best he was going to do was to finish fourth in the ACC. That was fine at the time, but he knew the fan base would want more and more as time went by. Same thing with Purnell. He had a good club, but always underachieved in the NCAA. Time to look ofr a new gig. I don't blame Barnes at all.

Amen and amen.***

Mar 24, 2011, 8:26 PM

nm

Somebody had to be sitting next to Donovan.....

Mar 25, 2011, 8:22 AM

and it just happened to be Shyatt. I think Shyatt is a good assistant. There are a ton of guys in the game that are good assistants, but just don't have what it takes to be a good head coach.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic