Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Welcome to Blacksburg!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Welcome to Blacksburg!!!

Sep 27, 2011, 10:51 PM

A couple of Do's and Don'ts to help you enjoy your Hokie experience

DO

Have a safe trip on your way to B'burg

Park at the commuter lot on Prices Fork Road ($10?) if you don't have a parking pass or park Downtown Bburg both a 20 min walk. Some private parking is available at some homes and churches on the east back side of the Stadium

Go take a tour of campus. We love it and are very proud of it.
Must visits
Drill Field
War Memorial
April 16 Memorial
War Memorial Chapel
Duck Pond
West End Market (Voted best college dining hall in the USA)
Tailgates
Downtown Bburg

Come early and stay late. Hokie fans will welcome you to their tailgates and Downtown Bburg is built around VT. Great pubs and restaurants.

Get to the gates at least 30 minutes prior to Kickoff. Big games always brings out the worst in technology (ticket scanners) and new idiots at the gates(private contractor). It is a pretty big stadium and it may take a while to get to your seat for...

See Enter Sandman. You will want to see the Hokie entrance. We like it, give it a peek. Folks seem to like it.

Cheer like hell for your team

Buy a $9 Smoked Turkey Leg at the stadium if you are starving

Go to Bull & Bones (south of Downtown) for great wings and microbrews

Go to TOTS Top of the Stairs for a rail if you really like alcohol and the frat scene

Go to Famous Anthony's for a good cheap breakfast

Go to the New River for tubing or fishing.

Go to The River Course or Draper Valley for some great golf. (The River Course was just named a top 10 scool coirse in the country).

If you stay in Roanoke, The Downtown Market area has a decent club scene and it is safe to walk the steets unlike many urban Downtown areas.

Do have a great, safe trip and a wonderful time.

Don't

Be alarmed by the heavy security and police (both marked and undercover) Ever since 4/16 the Feds have opened the checkbook to security and Bburg and VT is having no trouble spending it. Security and cops are EVEYWHERE.

Walk around with an open container. Put it in a cup and put it in the trash,

Pee where you are not supposed to. Littering, PIP and DIP are the three most written citations in Bburg

Park where you are not supposed to. You will get to meet the ######### at.
ValleyTowing and donate $160 or so to their get out of hell fund

Go looking for trouble. It is easily found.

Engage with stoopid drunken arsehole students. I think our students are some of the best fans in the country but that doesn't mean there arent some of those stoopid drunken ######### that ALL campuses have.

Don't be in a hurry to leave post-game. Traffic can be a PITA and you can join folks on a cool fall evening to tailgate or walk downtown to a pub or restaurant.

Miss this opportunity to come to Bburg

Here are a couple of links to help you get Hokiefied

Hokiesports.com will have a gameday guide posted on their main page by Wednesday

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/gameday/

Techsideline.com is the very un-official Hokie fan board that will welcome all Tig's. TSL will provide lots of insight and previews of the game later this week.

www.techsideline.com

If y'all have questions or comments leave it in this thread or visit techsideline.com

Enjoy and GO HOKIES!
Hope to see y'all again in December for a re-match!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Welcome to Blacksburg!!!

Sep 27, 2011, 11:07 PM

Makes me wish I had bought tickets - thanks!

Sep 27, 2011, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the advice, especially as far as parking is concerned.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2011, 11:20 PM

Do they write tickets for open containers or will it just cause a cop to check your ID?

Sep 27, 2011, 11:33 PM

Put it in a cup if you don't want an open container ticket.
If you are under age LEO will check your ID if you are carrying a "solo" cup. They are aggressive.

Sep 27, 2011, 11:55 PM

Thank you. I have never really seen an open container ticket here so I never would have really thought about that. Sounds like a #### move by the cops

I've never had a problem with carrying a beer with a koozie

Sep 28, 2011, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Welcome to Blacksburg!!! ]

I always take a couple roadies while walking to the stadium in Blacksburg. Just don't advertise the fact you are consuming alcohol and use some common sense.

what does "for a rail" mean? a drink or like a beer tasting

Sep 27, 2011, 11:22 PM

????

null

Re: what does "for a rail" mean? a drink or like a beer tasting

Sep 27, 2011, 11:35 PM

A "rail" is a drink made with all of the liquors on the bar rail. I was told I had one one tome but I don't remember it. ;)

nice, thought it might have been Blacksburg specific

Sep 27, 2011, 11:46 PM

or a special bar concoction.

ever have a mat shot? tasty

null

Re: nice, thought it might have been Blacksburg specific

Sep 27, 2011, 11:49 PM

A rail is a dressed up mat shot IMHO.

Sep 27, 2011, 11:43 PM

Now that is a good ACC family post. Tip of the hat to that Hokie. Hope our Tiger family can return the favor next year. ---- but still hope we beat you.:)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lead, Follow, or Get out of the Way.
Sine Pari- The tip of the spear.
Cofounder / USASOC Black Daggers 2001

Sep 28, 2011, 1:11 PM

A bump for the working folks.

And thought I would forward this link about Bud Foster's Foundation Tailgate.

It is right across the street from the commuter lot on Prices Fork Road and it's free! BBQ, live music, games, prizes and cash bar and the gameday shuttle has a stop at the tailgate. You can rsvp at the link below.

http://www.blacksburgtailgate.com/home.htm

Sep 28, 2011, 1:49 PM

As an Texas A&M grad and now a transplanted Hokie...I see many similarities in both Tech and Clemson (land grant schools, military presence, vet/ag, similar student enrollment, etc).. I hope all Clemson fans travel safe and enjoy their trip to Blacksburg. Going to get cold for game time so "pack up your mini's"! If walking through Lot 8...look for the big dodge pickup with A&M plates and stop by for a beer. If you are in the donor lots...you do not have to worry about cops...we drink every game and do not use solo cups including sitting up a liquor bar. I have never been bothered by cops in 5 yrs of being a Hokie Club Member. Be careful as you get right outside the stadium though as law enforcement is everywhere.

Again safe travels and enjoy your stay!

Sep 28, 2011, 2:29 PM

As a Hokie living in Charleston, this post and the replies to it really make me happy. All the animosity on Clemson's board makes me cringe. There seems to be a lot of hatred towards VT fans. I've never seen the type of behavior described by Tiger fans, not saying it doesn't exist though. As a CLASSY Virginia Tech fan, and sometimes Clemson fan (when they aren't playing us of course), I would just like to say, may the best team win. Good luck, Tigers. You're going to need it.

Sep 28, 2011, 4:32 PM

" All the animosity on Clemson's board makes me cringe. There seems to be a lot of hatred towards VT fans."

I don't get it either. It certainly is a new phenomenon. It must be the invisible internet "vocal" minority. Because all of the Clemson folks I know (and the one that is going to the game as me guest) consider CU & VT as very similar institutions and fan-bases. It is just a handful of rabble rousers stirring the pot.

It is like a Tig posted earlier, if you are looking for the bad side pf things, you will see them. If you are looking for the good side you'll see that as well.

I was surprised by it as well

Sep 28, 2011, 5:14 PM

I've always liked Clemson, and I thought the feeling was mutual. The hatred for VT I've seen on this board was a big surprise.

With that being said, there have also been quite a few level posters that just want to talk football. The discussions with those folks have been nice.

www.techsideline.com

Sep 28, 2011, 2:36 PM

Been trying to join the forums here for about a week and having to wait for them to create my account due to my "free e-mail" account... I understand them not wanting abuse from outsiders, but jeez...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

email staff@techsideline.com***

Sep 28, 2011, 2:38 PM

Re: email staff@techsideline.com***

Sep 28, 2011, 2:42 PM

I have and heard from Chris today after a few days wait, waiting for him to set up my account, hopefully soon... no complaints but the forums are on lockdown...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the info.

Sep 28, 2011, 2:38 PM

Looking forward to a fun time and great game!!

I think we know what a big stadium is

Sep 28, 2011, 4:36 PM

but thanks

I knew that was coming!***

Sep 28, 2011, 7:22 PM

hold the phone

Sep 28, 2011, 5:08 PM

they sell TURKEY legs at HOKIE games? that is downright hilarious

And they are downright GOOD. Highly recommended!***

Sep 28, 2011, 5:15 PM

That's cannibalism!***

Sep 28, 2011, 5:54 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another do..

Sep 28, 2011, 5:31 PM

Mikes Grill-great burgers...the neverending debate on techsideline is whether Five guys is better, but I always eat at Mikes when I go back for a game.

And I def agree to go in early, there always seems to be congestion at the gates as it gets closer to gametime, just be sure to grab a few extra minis for the early arrival!

Five Guys is better

Sep 28, 2011, 6:34 PM

;)

I was really wanting to go to this game, but I'm

Sep 28, 2011, 6:41 PM

having a cash flow problem at the moment.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic