Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Real ? Why does everyone think the ACC is so awful
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Real ? Why does everyone think the ACC is so awful

Oct 14, 2019, 9:22 AM

Over the last few years when playing other P5 teams the ACC represents themselves more than well. Heck Pitt should’ve beaten Penn State.

I’m not saying it’s a great conference but I really do t u sweat and how the Big 10 as an example is suppose to be really good but the ACC is suppose to be horrible. Because there is parody besides Clemson?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Real ? Why does everyone think the ACC is so awful

Oct 14, 2019, 9:22 AM

Don’t understand* stupid auto correct

it looks like the ACC is improving over last year

Oct 14, 2019, 9:24 AM

What we really need is FSU, Vt or Miami to start having 10 win seasons and challenging us for the title. It will change perception the most.

I think Louisville made the best hire and will challenge us sooner than anyone else.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly.....good points.***

Oct 14, 2019, 9:27 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't seen much improvement yet

Oct 14, 2019, 9:41 AM [ in reply to it looks like the ACC is improving over last year ]

UNC and Louisville are both definitely better. Wake is maybe slightly better.

NC State, BC, Cuse, and GT are all wayyyy worse.

Everyone else is pretty close to the same. Unfortunately most of the teams in this group were bad last year and are programs the ACC really needs to have fielding better teams (FSU, VT, Miami).

IMO that's a net loss over last year.

Right now ... SEC & B10 each have 4 teams w/ losing records

Oct 14, 2019, 10:26 AM

the ACC only has 1.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's almost meaningless on it's own.***

Oct 14, 2019, 10:58 AM

Oct 14, 2019, 10:44 AM

The ACC does not have many traditional powerhouse programs.

I think when FSU and Miami are down, then the ACC really needs superstar players to elevate its perception.

Louisville is not a power but Lamar Jackson made people think Louisville was good. Even in their best season with him they never won 10 games but nationally people thought they were good.

This year AJ Dillon is the only big name outside of Clemson's team and he is a very quiet star player.

So naturally everyone sees the ACC as Clemson and nobody else because nobody recognizes the names of the good players.

Oct 14, 2019, 10:51 AM

It’s comical that this narrative gets thrown around by analyst and fans across the sport. “Clemson plays no one” blah blah blah...And literally EVERY TIME the smoke clears Clemson is right there putting d*cks in the dirt.

Please do not fall for that “Well it’s about this year and not the past!” All they are trying to do is undermine and minimize everything Clemson has done.

We are the best team in the country period...no question.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

The ACC isn't a bad football conference.

Oct 14, 2019, 11:15 AM

From top to bottom, I think it's a very solid conference. We might not have several top 25 teams like the SEC and Big 10 have, but we also don't seem to have the truly awful teams at the bottom that those conferences have.

As you stated, the ACC has more than held its own recently against other conferences, including the SEC. The national media simply doesn't want to acknowledge that, for a variety of reasons. They simply want to tout the SEC, and to a lesser extent, the Big 10.

I don't see the narrative changing anytime soon, but for the ACC to get more respect, it would be nice to have traditional powers like FSU, Miami, and Virginia Tech become top 25 programs again. It would be even better if at least one of those becomes a consistent top 10 team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nahhh ... we'll just keep collecting ACC titles ...

Oct 14, 2019, 11:52 AM

let the rest of the ACC continue to flounder.

Oct 14, 2019, 11:58 AM

I think the number of private schools in the ACC really affects our football output more so than in any other sport. If you happen to flip over to ACCN to watch any non-football content, you will see ACC putting multiple teams in the Top 10 of every sport. But football is very money-centric. I think B10 and SEC only have 1 private school each in their conference. ACC has what - 4 I think? Hard for private schools to field big time football programs and facilities, historically speaking.

Oct 14, 2019, 12:01 PM

For those saying they don't get how the ACC has gotten the current reputation. What's the biggest OOC win for the ACC this year not including Clemson? What's the best 2 or 3 wins? What was the biggest 3 OOC wins for the ACC last year not including Clemson?

The ACC is not as bad as the media professes, but

Oct 14, 2019, 12:54 PM

when the ACC has a sole prime time game like the NC State vs Syracuse game last Thursday night it is hard to change the "ACC = bad" narrative. That was one ugly game and if that is all I saw of the ACC I would say the league is bad as well.

Unfortunately, the college football media power brokers (ESPN being chief among them) grab a narrative and stick with it no matter what the facts may say. The AP Poll media is made up of a bunch of sports writers - each with their own agenda that is reflected in every AP poll. Just about every year Michigan is highly ranked in the early season AP Polls yet has done nothing worthy of such ranking. Likewise, the SEC is always over-represented and over-valued in the early season polls. Yet the media spin masters talk up these early season rankings as an excuse to keep their favored SEC teams ranked higher when the inevitable intra-conference SEC losses start to accumulate. Look at the Florida vs LSU game as an example. LSU convincingly beat Florida by two touchdowns but Florida only dropped 2 spots in their biased polls. If Clemson had lost in the same fashion to LSU - how many spots do you think we would have dropped?

The SEC and Big10 know the early season polls favor them because of the large number of "homers" among the sportswriters. Sportswriters have a vested interest in ranking their favored conferences and teams highly in order to keep selling their articles and gaining clicks. There is a reason the Big10 and SEC do not schedule any big conference match-ups among their traditional conference powers before mid-October with most not happening until November. They want to protect the early season rankings while they pad their stats and resumes - to their credit they have successfully manipulated this system to their advantage for years. The only good news is that the CFP is slowly but surely making these early season polls irrelevant and is starting to force some of them to reconsider their early season out of conference opponents.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The ACC is not as bad as the media professes, but

Oct 14, 2019, 12:57 PM

Was it really any worse than the Florida Auburn game?

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic