Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Please give me your opinion of Directv
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Please give me your opinion of Directv

Jan 20, 2018, 9:12 PM

Not Directv Now, simply Directv with a home mounted dish. I'm having major issues with Comcast since August.
We are looking at Choice plan on Directv. It offers all ESPN channels, local TV and 175 channels for $50 per month. (Plus $7 per month for additional receivers so in our case $64 per month with 3 tv's)
We are now in a trial period with Sling using Fire TV. Its confusing to toggle between Fire TV and Sling then change input for antenna for local channels. Its almost more than a person my age can handle. I like LIVE tv. I don't watch past episodes of shows. I like to surf channel going up and down the channel line up. Sling you exit the show you are watchung then go to a grid then toggle that until you find a show you want to watch, then select that show for it to come on your tv. No local channels are almost a deal breaker for me. Its a hassle to change inputs for the antennae. Sling costs $50 per month for orange and blue plus sports package. Directv is only $14 more plus it includes many more channels and local tv.
So I'm shopping from Comcast to Sling and maybe on to Directv.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

had DIRECTV for about 2 years

Jan 20, 2018, 9:22 PM

And have always been pleased with them. The signal is always good and reliable even in storms and their customer service has been good. I think we have the same package you are describing and I get all the channels I want to watch.

Had dish before switching to directv and they were terrible. The signal would go out if it was just cloudy outside and they were aggravating to deal with. If your gonna go with satellite DIRECTV is the best.

Re: Please give me your opinion of Directv

Jan 20, 2018, 9:25 PM

I was with Direct TV for several years after being with TWC, which you probably don't have access to. My biggest problem with Direct was that every time the weather was windy or rainy my TV began pixelating and would sometimes have to reboot. Also, like all other providers that low price is for a year and then the price goes back up like all the rest. Switched back to TWC (Spectrum) and for the most part, other than cost have been pleased.

Had DIRECTV for 15 years and never had a problem...just

Jan 20, 2018, 10:02 PM

switched to DISH and have had no problems. Made the switch to save $100/month, if DIRECTV would have worked with us we would probably not have switched. DIRECTV's customer service got worse when ATT took over.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2018, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Please give me your opinion of Directv ]

Could have been interference from trees. I had that issue once and it only happened when a storm came up. The wind would blow the trees and interference moved the dish no problems

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

I’ve had DirecTV and Spectrum/Time Warner

Jan 20, 2018, 9:31 PM

Jan 20, 2018, 9:33 PM

The thing about directv is that the price you gave is probably only for the first 12 months and then it goes up a good bit. I cancelled directv several months ago and went to SlingTV. Now I get a letter from Directv almost daily begging me to come back for $25 per month and a $300 visa gift card.

Btw, I think YouTubeTV offers local channels. But I don’t believe you can get it on Amazon Fire.

I have DirecTV since 2003.

Jan 20, 2018, 9:36 PM

Absolutely love it. For approximately 2 weeks in 2005 I switched to TWC and ended up going back with DirecTv.

Great picture and quality channel lineups. I recently switched to the new Genie2 system they have recently put out. It’s amazing. There is only one DirecTV box in the house now and all the other TVs receive the signal wirelessly. No need for set top boxes with each TV.

Get the Genie2 when you sign up.

Re: I have DirecTV since 2003.

Jan 21, 2018, 7:53 PM

So you record off of one box and all TVs can see the recordings. If you don’t have boxes how do you select the channels. With two locations I would need two genies right? What I have is limited to recording 2 things at one time and watching one of them. Is that the same with the genie. I like directtv

Re: I have DirecTV since 2003.

Jan 21, 2018, 8:25 PM

No the HR24 down to HR20 series was like that (HD recording) capable. The only one they still support is the HR24. The rest is now GENIE driven with Mini-Clients as they call them. They now have wireless bridges so you do not even have to run cable to different rooms now. Basically, if you are within a certain distance and you have the power you can tune to your TV without a coax Cable now.

I’ve had DirecTV for almost 3 years and like it a lot.

Jan 20, 2018, 10:06 PM

Much better than cable. I’ve had a few times when it went out due to weather, but I seemed to have more of those issues with cable.

I have never had any customer service issues with them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Their commercials are the most annoying ones

Jan 20, 2018, 10:06 PM

recently, and I would never subscribe to their service.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jan 20, 2018, 10:20 PM

I have had direct tv for 13 years and this past dec I was paying 175/ month, I called to have my rates lowered by 60$ and it was the deciding factor for me sticking with them.
A word of advice though, every time they offer new equipment they put you in a 2 year contract if you refuse new equipment, they don’t renew a contract.
Overall I am pleased with direct tv. I found that by selecting a streaming service, you will be giving up one Channel you like for another across sling, directvnow, and psvue. With directv I get to keep all the channels I want with no hassle.
Just keep calling them every time your bill goes up to get a new discount added.

Just killed everything AT&T a week or so ago, including

Jan 21, 2018, 10:43 AM

DirecTV. DirecTV was great, and had it since 1996. Service good unless a thunderstorm came to the south, then would go out for a bit. Do need a good, limb-free view of southern sky. The issue became cost for us. DTV is VERY convenient to scroll channels like you say, and get local channels. Good lineups if you get the package that gives you the channels you want. We just got cable internet on my street, so went to that to get rid of 2mbps dsl. That opened the door to streaming, and my wife already had amazon prime, which gave us a lot of movies and shows. So we got a Roku, and it works great. From a cost side it makes sense to kill DTV for us, but you are correct that it's more work to change inputs between Roku and digital antenna. I will say this, the picture quality on local channels is MUCH better from the digital antenna and my DTV was. Not even close. I would look on the web for a table that shows the channel lineups for Sling, Youtubetv, Hulu, playstation, set tv, directv now, and the like. See which has the lineup you like and what the costs are. Ignore local channels since you can get those with $50 digital antenna, you just have to switch input to see them. I'm still going through the 7-day trial period on the various services, so cannot recomment one yet. Good luck!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just killed everything AT&T a week or so ago, including

Jan 21, 2018, 1:26 PM

Thanks.
I wish Youtube TV was in Charleston but its not.

Re: Just killed everything AT&T a week or so ago, including

Jan 21, 2018, 8:01 PM [ in reply to Just killed everything AT&T a week or so ago, including ]

I have everything ATT. Originally direct wasn’t but as you know ATT bought them. I have never had a problem with any of them except my ATT Home security. My camera went out and I’m having a hard time getting that taken care of. If I have a problem with any of it at either location they are quick to respond. I’ve been with some form of ATT since the ma bell days.. my email is @bellsouth.net

had directv for 8 years

Jan 21, 2018, 3:46 PM

then they absolutely refused to come off a $40/month increase
i canceled and got a great 2 year rate with comcast
directv keeps calling me offering deals which they refused to do when i asked
after 2 years if comcast tries to screw me i'll switch again

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2018, 4:44 PM

I had directv for years. when there was bad weather we would lose our signal and the price kept inching up higher and higher . I switched to a local telephone cooperative with TV and have been very pleased.

Jan 21, 2018, 4:55 PM

Had Direct TV from 1997-2016. Then AT&T bought them. Prices went up. Lots of fees. AT&T is a very fee based company.

I switched my TV to Spectrum as I was already using them for internet and phone. I have been very happy since. Have every channel known to man plus very fast internet. I have had no issues with Spectrum.

As many others have mentioned DirecTV does go out with rain. Nothing you can do about it.

I am ready to disconnect my directv because

Jan 21, 2018, 5:02 PM

of their service. When I signed up on the phone, the csa told me my monthly bill would be $75 for the package I wanted. My first bill was double that. I called and was told it would be corrected on the next bill. It was not. I'm about 6 months in, and it has not been corrected yet. However, at this point, I will incur a $300 cancellation fee. From now on, I record any conversations I have with those lying, two bit, money-hungry jerks.

I've been with Directv & Comcast for over 20 years.

Jan 21, 2018, 6:46 PM

I did not read any Reply that I could disagree with. Cut to the Chase, DTV did go South after ATT bought them out, mainly with Customer care and Price increases. I always tried to stay out of Contract to make them give me incentives to renew in one-year increments. But the Cord Cutters are now getting their attention so they are realizing they like their current Customers better. In fact this week, I got $30.00 off for a year just for signing up for another year. Contract till Jan 2019. Regarding Comcast, I get their Internet but if you Bundle with an SD Signal and minimum channels its cheaper. I do not even have their box connected, I just use the Internet. But with Comcast, you really have to call every 6 months instead of every year to get the reduced rate. They always find some new PROMO. Be prepared to expect constant Price Increases with new Price Saving Promos on a Regular basis. It really is a Cat and Mouse game. As a last-ditch effort, tell them you hate to leave-em and then ask for a SUPERVISOR!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Re: I've been with Directv & Comcast for over 20 years.

Jan 21, 2018, 7:44 PM

Stay away from directtv They give you one rate over the phone and then you get a bill for twice that amount So
Many of the channels are useless Go with cable

Re: I've been with Directv & Comcast for over 20 years.

Jan 21, 2018, 8:12 PM

I had DirecTV in south Florida and was pretty okay with the price and the occasional outage in severe storms (by severe, I mean you're worried more about your roof than not getting a game).

When we moved to the Upstate, I stuck with them. Then the rates went up, and up, and up.

I was paying nearly $100 a month and didn't really have squat for channels, no DVR, etc. I'd call monthly, get $15 or $20 knocked off for a time, then right back up it'd go. To get anything more than a bunch of home shopping and Spanish channels, they'd want a contract extension.

I'd been a customer for over 10 years.

I finally put on my man pants and told them to F off.

Got a $30 antenna from Wal Mart, mounted that thing in the pipe left from my dish, used one of the many web resources to point it to the stations I like, and never looked back.

I am getting well over 40 channels over the air, and I am about as rural as it gets in SC.

I plopped a $30 firestick in the TV, and it's got all kinds of stuff. You can youtube all day, Crackle movies and shows are free, etc.

I'm an Amazon Prime member just for the free shipping, but there's a ton of movies and shows on there too.

During college football season, I subscribe to Playstation Vue or Sling (I tried the new Hulu Live last season, but it buffered just about every game). That's like $45 a month, and I challenge you and everyone here to name a single college football game that you had access to with DirecTV (ANY DirecTV package) that I did not.

It's not difficult hitting the input button on a remote to switch between the antenna and firestick or whatever- set up a universal remote and you're good. If you dont like reaching for the firestick remote, use the Alexa voice control or get one of those Bluetooth remotes or use your phone. Getting a bluetooth universal remote or one of those Alexa Echo dot thingies is still cheaper than a month of DirecTV.

In short, screw DirecTV. Too little, too late getting into the streaming biz, and they didn't take care of their loyal customers.

I get WAY more for less money now.

Great service, not cheap, customer service is terrible.

Jan 21, 2018, 7:46 PM

If you ever have to call them you will be on the phone for an hour minimum. Just horrid.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2018, 7:49 PM

I have had directtv for over 20 years. I like it, never have a problem that they don’t send someone out in a timely manner. I don’t have any premium movies channels just the sports package. You will need a digital antenna for extremely bad weather like hurricanes etc with cloud interference. I like it because I have my Home and a fifth wheel permantky parked at the lake. I only have to pay one bill and then pay for each extra box

Jan 21, 2018, 9:58 PM

No Fox with DTV

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

I've got Fox w/ DTV

Jan 22, 2018, 9:38 AM

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic