Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Most Disappointing NCAAF program is?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Most Disappointing NCAAF program is?

Sep 11, 2019, 6:42 PM

Can't decide if it's Tennessee the last 5-6 years? Or FSU the last 4?

Tennessee has more resources than FSU. Bigger stadium. Bigger endowment. Plays in the SEC-ond conference. Have amazingly recruited well still! Have gotten some really good coaches to come there(Pruitt, Dooley, Kiffin, Chaney, Butch Jones, Brady Hoke).
FSU just won one in 2013 and had a NC winning coach. But, my how he failed his last year there! Then handed over to Taggert who has not been able to right the ship that started sinking on Fisher's watch.

Which is the biggest dumpster fire?

How? With all the resources and name recognition have these programs fallen as hard as they have? I know things are cyclical and things go round. So, one day it will be our time. But, geez FSU and Tennessee! At least, at one point we had the excuse of others having more toys the recruits want to see on official visits. Or big stadium. Or reputation for putting players in the NFL. These teams actually still do a good job with most of that; but still struggle mightily.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most Disappointing NCAAF program is?

Sep 11, 2019, 6:44 PM

its FSU to me. Just my gut.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For me its Texas and Texas A&M

Sep 11, 2019, 6:53 PM

Texas is a football crazy state. Both Texas and A&M are HUGE schools with 40,000+ undergrads. Both programs have outstanding facilities. Texas is the second most populated state in the country. Texas produces more Division 1 recruits than any other state in the country.

There is no reason that both of these programs aren't Dominant programs...but neither seems to be able to get it done.

Dabo didn't have any of these advantages, and has been able to get Clemson to the CFP the last 4 years straight.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if we are talking all time

Sep 12, 2019, 12:52 PM

A&M is the most underachieving. Never have had a period of greatness despite huge money, support, access to talent etc.

Rutgers is probably the most abysmal program of all time.

miami

Sep 11, 2019, 6:56 PM

they just don’t really seem to matter anymore

Re: miami

Sep 11, 2019, 7:15 PM

Miami - I can see that! Based on the players at their disposal. Or what should be players at their disposal.
As far as facilities - culture - fan base - etc. they fall short!

Player wise - I agree! They get the players and who wouldn't want to go to school that close to the beach(not me; but a bunch of kids would love it). Really no excuse for them; you're right considering they are top 10 sometimes to top 15 in recruiting and always 2nd to 4th in recruiting in the ACC.

Re: miami

Sep 11, 2019, 7:20 PM [ in reply to miami ]

More worried about gettting their “swagger back than building a program.

I vote UCLA w chip kelly

miami

Sep 11, 2019, 6:56 PM

they just don’t really seem to matter anymore

FSU has not been disapointing to me

Sep 11, 2019, 7:01 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couldn't happen to a better bunch***

Sep 11, 2019, 7:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FSU has not been disapointing to me

Sep 11, 2019, 7:15 PM [ in reply to FSU has not been disapointing to me ]

THIS

I can go the rest of my life without hearing the axe chopping chant.

Kansas...come on, Les***

Sep 11, 2019, 7:10 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 7:19 PM

D1? Kansas easily. Hopefully Les Miles changes things over there.

the coots, they were cycling in, but........................

Sep 11, 2019, 7:25 PM

;)

Sep 11, 2019, 7:30 PM

It would have to be South Carolina right? Since I dont follow their team I visit this website called fgf. I know none of yall have heard of it but it's a gamecock forum and I read their expectations and predictions. Some of the stuff on there makes me worry a little about our game against them but the last 5 or so years they've just been a total dud. I just expect a lot more from them for some reason.

Sep 11, 2019, 8:10 PM

It can't be u of sux. Why HRT? Because friends - you have to have had something in the past that suggest you are "disappointing"! For u of sux - them being bad is normal.

My question is more geared toward those programs that have: resources, rich history, prior success, recruits well, etc.

Can't disagree totally about Kansas! I mean - just take some of the players from Texas that Oklahoma passes over! And Oklahoma St pass over and make a squad Kansas!

I agree too about UCLA! I mean, they have had some good coaches there as well. Big California state university like that. In football rich California! Crazy!

Sep 11, 2019, 8:28 PM

A lot of schools have one thing in common..Clemson. Clemson put a lot of schools in a tailspin. It started way back when with USC. Tn, Ga, OSU, NE, FSU, LSU, AL, AU, OK, AND I AM SURE THERE ARE MORE. Once we started going momentum, we started picking up better players from all the areas that the great players come from. The difference makers on all these other teams. CU has been rising to the top with all these quality guys. Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 8:46 PM

Yep! And with social media being what it is - it isn't likely to change anytime soon. The best kids want to go where they know the best go. Where the best players, coaches, facilities, chances of making it to the league are, etc.

These kids were not born during the time when ND, Michigan, Southern Cal, etc. were blue bloods of the sport. These kids have grown up knowing Clemson as one of 3 or 4 places the very best want to get offers from!

It's a recipe for the rich getting richer honestly! CU and staff must remain on the cutting edge of offense/defense. And on the various ways to communicate with people in this era. And keep the hunger for more going. If so, sky's the limit.

Anyone see the Saban commercial where he has his championship rings on? Recruiting pitch! Trying to use history to stir up recruits he is suddenly losing to Georgia and Clemson. He has been losing them to Ohio St.

In short, CU has a chance to be good for a long time. The ghost of days long gone can't sway most recruits who have never seen the old school "VOTED ON" past National championship schools way. They don't care and don't even know about it! If CU plays it's cards right at this moment in time it can have it's pick of players. Coaches. Even as you said - from other people's back yard!

From a standpoint of historic program status...

Sep 11, 2019, 8:07 PM

IMO it’s a tie between Tennessee and Miami. At this point Tennessee probably has been the biggest underachiever considering their long-time lack of success in an $EC East that’s been pathetic forever now. Even with the bowdenesque Mark Richt at UGA, Tennesse managed nothing in the last 15 years. Vol nation must be on suicide watch by now.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look At this

Sep 11, 2019, 8:16 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqlko223sFw

Yep! Vols Nation is pretty upset!

Shawn Elliott came from App St. then went to SC and was key to their little run. He left and they went down hill.

It's really been 3 years for FSU and about 10-12 for Tenn

Sep 11, 2019, 8:50 PM

My answer is therefore Tenn.

Re: It's really been 3 years for FSU and about 10-12 for Tenn

Sep 11, 2019, 9:13 PM

Don't think Meeechigan or Notre Dame fans are feeling too good right now. Both programs churn out the same type of disappointing teams every year.

Domers made the CFP last year

Sep 11, 2019, 9:19 PM

so they’re definitely feeling better than any of those programs previously mentioned. Now Michigan... that’s another matter. They just plain suck. Most overrated team pre-season.

Sep 11, 2019, 9:17 PM

Charleston Southern. They let an easy game slip through their fingers this past Saturday.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 9:20 PM

In SC and about 100 miles from Clemson but who cares.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rice***

Sep 11, 2019, 9:38 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 9:43 PM

Virginia Tech probably belongs on this list. I thought they would have more success with the latest coach, but they can’t even get a top 25 ranking any more.

I'd like to say the dirt peckers are most disappointing

Sep 11, 2019, 9:54 PM

except I'm so pleased by their disappointingness.

Southern California

Sep 12, 2019, 12:40 PM

The Trojans still basically have "pick of the litter when it comes to west coast talent"! They pick and then everyone else picks who they didn't want!

Why then can't they seem to win consistently?

Crazy!

People talk about Willie Taggert - but Clay Helton has just as good of a recruiting class with bad results as well. Is he on the hot seat? With the resources there; there should be no way they struggle like they do.

'Cause they pick too many west coasters.

Luckily we're now getting the few good ones they have.

southern cal is one of the most successful programs in history

Sep 12, 2019, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Southern California ]

They've only had a few down years, made the Rose Bowl not long ago and won national titles less than 20 years ago.

Sep 12, 2019, 12:41 PM

Someone should do a thread about the most "over-achieving" NCAAF program!

I would say with the success Clemson has had without the aid of a "composite top 10 recruiting class" is amazing!
APP St. would go in there.
Who else?

Sep 12, 2019, 12:50 PM

Overachieving?

Clemson - Check
App State - Check

Duke
Washington
Troy
San Diego State
Northwestern (last year)
Army (maybe Navy a few years ago but been down of late)
UCF
Memphis
Kentucky

And if the media hasn't constantly hyped them up, I would actually say notre dame.

Sep 12, 2019, 12:44 PM

Tennessee

It isn't just the last 5-6 years... it has been close to 15 years now. The last 5-6 years have just gotten more and more bonkers.

And the real reason: they have no natural instate rival to local talent and *should* be able to pluck talent from the whole south east. Miami, FSU, and Florida plus the Texas schools consume each other and then have to fight off outsiders.

Their recruiting base is one of the

Sep 12, 2019, 12:58 PM

Biggest reasons why they suck - not an advantage. Tennessee(the state) ranks low in HS talent and UT is shutoff from going elsewhere due to better programs all around them. When they were good they were doing what Clemson is doing now. They were grabbing guys nationally. It will take some luck and the right coach to ever make them relevant again. The good news for them is that no one outside of UGA in the East has really pulled away from the rest of that dismal group.

Re: Their recruiting base is one of the

Sep 12, 2019, 2:43 PM

IDK, Yeah, Tenn HS isn't *that* strong but it is not as pitiful as most of the NE or MW. Being the only came in town in a weak stat should at least make them respectable. They should be able to siphon out some of the North Georgia talent and they used to own the Commonwealth of Virginia ... that was kinda VT's rise was cutting the Vols out. (FYI, I am from Va and half of my fam is either VT or UT - athletics (baseball, volleyball, softball, etc)- ... and I was almost a Vol until Clemson offered me more money -academics.

I agree, our rise has hit Vols from some talent but I would look at their inability to keep Tenn talent and then being cut off from VA as being a bigger factors.

By far it is So Cal, and it's not even close

Sep 12, 2019, 12:47 PM

There is only maybe 2-3 more programs with the advantages that the real USC has and they've done absolutely nothing for over a decade.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: By far it is So Cal, and it's not even close

Kinda agree but they did win the PAC and a Rose Bowl a couple years back...

The entire ACC (other than us obviously)

Sep 12, 2019, 12:48 PM

Found juan.

Sep 12, 2019, 12:49 PM

Coot.

I'm not disappointed when teams from other conferences suck

Sep 12, 2019, 12:54 PM

But once great programs like FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Pitt have such weak programs these days.... it is robbing us of a much better, much more exciting football season.

So last season didn't excite you?***

Sep 12, 2019, 12:58 PM

4 or 5 games did. We played 15.***

Sep 12, 2019, 1:20 PM

FSU and Miami***

Sep 12, 2019, 12:53 PM

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: The REAL USC and Miami. Hands down.

Sep 12, 2019, 2:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

enjoyed my trip to TallaLASThee in 2018. No disappointment..***

Sep 12, 2019, 2:41 PM

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic