Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lewis Grizzard and the Clemson / Georgia game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Lewis Grizzard and the Clemson / Georgia game

Jan 22, 2013, 8:58 AM

For the younger crowd, Lewis Grizzard was a great writer of opinion and satire for the AJC and he died much too young. He was a huge Georgia fan, and in this column from the 80's he summed up just how important the Georgia/Clemson game was back then.

Lewis Grizzard: To My Son
Great moments in a would be father’s life

To my Son, if I ever have one:

Kid, I am writing this on September 3, 1984. I have just returned from Athens, where I spent Saturday watching the University of Georgia, your old dad’s alma matter, play football against Clemson.

While the events of the day were still fresh on my mind, I wanted to recount them so if you are ever born, you can read this and perhaps be able to share one of the great moments in your father’s life.

Saturday was a wonderful day on the Georgia campus.

We are talking blue, cloudless sky, a gentle breeze and a temperature suggesting summer’s end and autumn’s approach.

I said the blessing before we had lunch. I thanked the Lord for three things: fried chicken, potato salad and for the fact he had allowed me the privilege of being a Bulldog.

“And , Dear Lord,” I prayed, “bless all those not as fortunate as I.”

Imagine my son, 82,000 people, most whom were garbed in red, gathered together gazing down on a lush valley of hedge and grass where soon historic sporting combat would be launched.

Clemson was ranked number 2 in the nation, and Georgia, feared too young to compete with the veterans from beyond the river, could only dream, the smart money said, of emerging three hours hence victorious.

They had us 20-6 at the half, son. A man sitting in front of me said, “I just hope we don’t get embarrassed.”

My boy, I had never seen such a thing as came to pass in the second half. Todd Williams threw one long and high, and Herman Archie caught it in the end zone, and it was now 20-13.

Georgia got the ball again and scored again, and it was now 20-20, and my mouth was dry, and my hands were shaking, and this Clemson fan who had been running his mouth the whole ballgame suddenly shut his fat face.

Son, we got ahead 23-20, and the ground trembled and shook, and many were taken by fainting spells.

Clemson’s kicker, Donald Igwebuike, tied it 23-23 and this sacred place became the center of the universe.

Only seconds were left when Georgia’s kicker, Kevin Butler, stood poised in concentration. The ball rushed toward him, and it was placed upon the tee a heartbeat before his right foot launched it heavenward.

A lifetime later, the officials threw their arms aloft. From 60 yards away, Kevin Butler had been true, and Georgia led and would win 26-23.

I hugged perfect strangers and kissed a fat lady on the mouth. Grown men wept. Lightening flashed. Thunder rolled. Stars fell, and joy swept through, fetched by a hurricane of unleashed emotions.

When Georgia beat Alabama 18-17 in 1965, it was a staggering victory. When we came back against Georgia Tech and won 29-28 in1978, the Chapel bell rang all night. When we beat Florida 26-21 in the last seconds in 1980, we called it a miracle. And when we beat Notre Dame 17-10 in the Sugar Bowl that same year for the national championship, a woman pulled up her skirt and showed the world the Bulldog she had sewn on her underbritches.

But Saturday may have been even better than any of those.

Saturday in Athens was a religious experience.

I give this to you, son. Read it and re-read it, and keep it next to your heart. And when people want to know how you wound up with the name “Kevin” let them read it, and then they will know.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lewis Grizzard and the Clemson / Georgia game

Jan 22, 2013, 9:01 AM

He should have named his son after the clock operator who let two seconds run off the clock after Clemson had run the ensuing kickoff out of bounds and within field goal range.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2013, 9:09 AM

I was there that day and it was a long ride home.

I did love Lewis' daily column in our newspaper though. My family prayed for Lewis and wanted him to live. We still miss him, Even his cousin, Ludlow Porch is gone now too. RIP.

Jan 22, 2013, 9:11 AM

He was a talented writer and humorist, and I miss him too, even if he did describe Clemson as "Auburn with a lake".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2013, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Lewis Grizzard and the Clemson / Georgia game ]

I was there and I still don't think he made it. Great exciting but disappointing game.

Jan 22, 2013, 11:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Lewis Grizzard and the Clemson / Georgia game ]

Lewis was the best and Ludlow (actually Lewis' step-brother) was almost as funny. Those boys knew where to find good Barbeque and sweet tea and Lewis knew where the cold beer was located.

Quote from Lewis:

"I was Bulldog born and Bulldog bred
and when I die I'll be Bulldog Dead!"

or the ref who picked up the late hit out of bounds flag

Jan 22, 2013, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Lewis Grizzard and the Clemson / Georgia game ]

I was at that game too.....we truly got "Vinced" with the home-cooking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: or the ref who picked up the late hit out of bounds flag

Jan 22, 2013, 10:17 AM

Yeah, I thought I remembered a flag, but I wasn't 100% sure, so I didn't mention that part of it. With the penalty and the two seconds that should have remained on the clock, the kick would definitely have been within Iggy's range.

Larry Munson calls the game

Jan 22, 2013, 9:07 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEiDhrqEx_s

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Didn't we try a long kick right before Butler's bomb

Jan 22, 2013, 9:12 AM

or was that another year where we traded long kicks at the end?

That was the tie game in '83 when both teams missed FGs

Jan 22, 2013, 9:31 AM

near midfield at the end of the game. The '84 game was sickening. After the game, i think it was Lampley that
had his stupid joke - "who killed Clemson? The Butler
did it." How we felt then must have been how UGA players
and fans felt in '86 and '87.

Wasn't "The Butler Did It" after the puntrooskie?

Jan 22, 2013, 9:38 AM

I thought Leroy Butler was the upback that got the snap. Maybe it was just FSU fans that had that T-shirt.

It was written on the back and you could see it on TV as they were leaving Doak the next year after we wore them slap out.

Re: Wasn't "The Butler Did It" after the puntrooskie?

Jan 22, 2013, 9:41 AM

Leroy Butler was definitely the upback who ran the play.

The puntrooskie was in 1987***

Jan 22, 2013, 10:45 AM

1988.***

Jan 22, 2013, 10:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That was the tie game in '83 when both teams missed FGs

Jan 22, 2013, 9:59 AM [ in reply to That was the tie game in '83 when both teams missed FGs ]

86 and 87 could not happen to a more deserving fan base or team. Those 2 games are the reason why I keep 1 VCR and 2 video tapes. Just to hear" Vince Dooley is watching deja vu as David Treadwell lines up for a 38 yard attempt, We will let the crowd call it............" Wow goose bumps.

Refs and timekeeper were homers!

Jan 22, 2013, 11:11 AM

Georgia, if playing in Death Valley, would have lost by double digits. Unfortunately, Grizzard wrote alot of his stuff while guzzling beer and bragging about it. Most parents hated him!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After the 3 seconds and the flag dissapeared....

Jan 22, 2013, 11:47 AM

There was a sheet of plywood put up where 85 goes into Ga that read .... " Now entering Ga , Set your watch ahead 3 seconds "

and the butler did it to us on a fake punt against fla st.

still the worst ga game was when we stuffed hershel 3 in a row and woos dooley kicked it for the tie....

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic