Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting story from former Clemson coach Chuck Reedy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Interesting story from former Clemson coach Chuck Reedy

Aug 24, 2009, 9:35 PM

on Dan Scott's show this morning regarding the recruiting of Herschel Walker. I am paraphrasing of course, but I'll tell it as accurately as I can.

He said he was recruiting Herschel for coach Ford and would go to his high school every Friday. He knew UGA was the main competition. Herschel was from a poor family, but he did have a car; an old beat-up Ford. Just before signing day, Coach Reedy pulls up in the parking lot, but does not see the old Ford. He does notice a brand new Trans Am, and assumed it belonged to one of the coaches. He learned pretty quickly that it belonged to Herschel. Coach Reedy did not come right out and say that UGA bought it for him, but he did laugh and say "That's when I knew we were in trouble". He went on to say that Herschel did not sign on signing day, but waited until after Easter. Shortly after that, he said he rode out by Herschel's house. Herschel and his family lived in a small wood frame house. When coach Reedy got there, the old house was still there, but right in front of it stood a freshly built larger brick home. He laughed and said "A lot of stuff went on back then".

I'd heard a lot of stories about Herschel's recruitment and how dirty it got, but this was the first time I heard it straight from the mouth of a coach that was there. Yet we were the ones labeled as a "rogue program" and got hammered by the NCAA and ACC.

Sorry if German's, but thought it was worth mentioning just in case.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I had heard the car story multiple times, but the house part

Aug 24, 2009, 9:42 PM

is news to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson bought him a motorcycle but UGA bought him a car***

Aug 24, 2009, 9:53 PM

The house story is true and also

Aug 24, 2009, 11:18 PM [ in reply to I had heard the car story multiple times, but the house part ]

his parents ended up with state jobs. Georgia and North Carolina got by with murder in the 70's and we paid the price.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make no mistake

Aug 25, 2009, 8:21 AM [ in reply to I had heard the car story multiple times, but the house part ]

EVERYONE (90+%) was cheating big time back then. If a real tell book was written people would be shocked by what transpired.

Labeling us as the bad egg was really a joke especially with what went on at ugag.

If the ncaa was really serious about policing the sport they would have given alabama the death penalty.

They are already in trouble again.

Guess who sat on the infractions committee back then. Hint

Aug 24, 2009, 10:23 PM

He wasn't employed by Clemson.

VD hisself?***

Aug 24, 2009, 10:26 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yep.***

Aug 24, 2009, 10:32 PM

There has never been a more followed recruitment. We use to

Aug 24, 2009, 10:41 PM

call newspapers all over the South trying to get the latest. I am sure my bank employer didn't mind the phone calls as I just had to know the latest. To use a line from the best play by play man (& best homer) I ever heard, "He broke our Hearts!"

Re: Interesting story from former Clemson coach Chuck Reedy

Aug 24, 2009, 11:47 PM

I don't know about the house but the car I do know about. My best friends son was a wide receiver during Hershel's 2nd year. He did have a Transw Am it was 2 years old. Said none of these kids got a new car but one a couple years old, said Dooley wan't stupid. Hershel did have a room at the Holdiay Inn in Athens that he could use any time because of the the news media constantly calling, he needed a quiet place to "study". These are words straight from a kid who I knew almost as a son. We've sat around & had quiet a few beers & he told me all of this. There's also a few other stories he told me about parties at Doolie's house when he was out of town. Also Danny Ford told this story in person,to few of us one night, about sitting at Hershel's living room & a rat runs across the floor, Hershel's dad jumps up & crushes him & holds the rat up & says "I got him" Danny said "I thought what am I doing here

Aug 25, 2009, 8:24 AM

now thats funny

Aug 25, 2009, 8:26 AM

reedy has told that story many times. it is the way it was in the good old days.

We just got outbid.***

Aug 25, 2009, 9:50 AM

Reedy has lots of good stories. The one about John Johnson

Aug 25, 2009, 10:21 AM

is pretty good too.

Care to share, I haven't heard that one***

Aug 25, 2009, 10:33 AM

I'm pretty sure Ryan Bethea didn't buy his IROC Z28

Aug 25, 2009, 10:54 AM

that he drove around at first week after graduation with his own money.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic