Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If it matters, today padded a lotta stats
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,943

If it matters, today padded a lotta stats

Nov 18, 2017, 3:39 PM

Clemson had suffered a bit this year statistically owing to injuries, heavy substitutions, and quality of opposition...if it matters, today helped a bunch since Clemson ran up 662 yards of offense and allowed just 216, and scored 61 points and only allowed 3.

Clemson's offense was 35th nationally, generating 434.7 ypg. That has now risen to about 455.4, which should be good for 28th-29th, depending on how Washington State does later tonight. Clemson was 38th nationally in scoring offense at 32.7ppg; after today that rises to 35.7, good for either 25th or 26th nationally.

Clemson's defense was 8th nationally, allowing 297.6ypg. That now falls to 290.1ypg, which should be good for 5th-6th, depending on how UGA does against Kentucky. Clemson's scoring defense was 7th overall, allowing just 15.0ppg...after today that falls to 13.9ppg, which would put Clemson at 4th nationally.

FWIW.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If it matters, today padded a lotta stats

Nov 18, 2017, 3:42 PM

Let's hope we do about the exact same thing next week.
I don't see any reason why we can't beat the Coots by 30.
I really believe we shut them out

Nov 18, 2017, 4:23 PM

Don’t thing we’ll shut them out because it’s on their home field and they’ll be jacked up for the probably the first quarter or so. I imagine them going up early but by the 3rd or 4th, begin to pull away.

All for a shut out though.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2017, 3:44 PM

Quoze , I love your poasts but do you like maffstistics better than the football ?

Asking for a friend who has stock in Texas Instruments.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 18, 2017, 3:57 PM

> Quoze , I love your poasts but do you like
> maffstistics better than the football ?
>
> Asking for a friend who has stock in Texas
> Instruments.

Heh. Nope. I do like the maffs, though, because it definitely gets indicative, especially when you look at who played who, and how they did.

For instance, for all the hand-wringing about "bias", Alabama and Clemson remain the only teams in the nation that are Top-25 in both total offense, and total defense.

When you see a team like Oklahoma ranking 85th overall in total D, it definitely explains why you see the coaches' booth shaking as Mike Stoops does his HULK MAD! thing. (There's another one I saw that's even more priceless, he's throwing stuff and completely freaking out and sort of making the whole booth rock but I can't find it on youtube anymore.) This one'll give you the idea, though....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA0DOBSy2jg

Also tells you the most iffy of the contenders is probably Miami, since they are Top-25 in neither offense nor defense, and while they did pull away again today, they got rocked by UVA and completely out-stated. They rank just 30th overall (which will drop a lot after today) on O and 34th overall on D, and that is just not...convincing, for a team that is now 11-0.

Nov 18, 2017, 3:44 PM

Quoze , I love your poasts but do you like maffstistics better than the football ?

Asking for a friend who has stock in Texas Instruments.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 18, 2017, 4:02 PM

yep

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Nov 18, 2017, 4:34 PM

I love your posts quozzel, but those stats mean nothing to me. Do you think they matter to the committee?

Nov 18, 2017, 4:52 PM

> I love your posts quozzel, but those stats mean
> nothing to me. Do you think they matter to the
> committee?

Probably not, though Oklahoma being a statistical outlier and having the 85th-ranked defense in the country certainly doesn't help them in the Committee's eyes since they're trying to be as objective as possible. The truism "defense wins championships" may be a cliche...but, well, it's a truism because it's, you know, true. And the Committee will well-remember similar Oklahoma teams getting crushed by us in 2014 and 2015.

Those numbers also tell you that Miami is dominant on neither side of the ball. On the old bell curve they'd get middle-of-the-road "B" grades on both offense and defense, but they are overwhelming nowhere...and as good on neither side of the ball as the true heavyweights, those being the usual suspects (drum roll), Clemson and Alabama.

Which is interesting, at least to me. 'Cause guess who else is in that company? Auburn. Statistically they're well ahead of Georgia on offense, and are certainly more-balanced than Alabama. Can the Tide really hold off a team as good as they are, down five starting LB's?

I doubt it. What it means is that Auburn is probably going to win the Iron Bowl...and then the SEC this year. And wouldn't that change the entire conversation around the playoffs?

But no, the numbers on their own don't mean a ton, especially the way we sub so many guys and don't chase stats.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,943
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic