Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does headlock on Simmons not count as holding
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Does headlock on Simmons not count as holding

Jan 20, 2020, 12:11 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does headlock on Simmons not count as holding

Jan 20, 2020, 12:16 PM

Apparently all the LSU holding on everyone on every play doesn’t count.

Refs called it even. We could have held as much as they did, but oddly we were trained not to do so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Holding on every. single. play.

Jan 20, 2020, 12:34 PM

And the LSU swamp trash trolls would never acknowledge it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jan 20, 2020, 7:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Does headlock on Simmons not count as holding ]

Apparently all the LSU holding on everyone on every play doesn’t count.

Refs called it even. We could have held as much as they did, but oddly we were trained not to do so.

Yeah, Ohio State probably feels the same about the officiating, but those calls actually cost Ohio State the game... they were the better team otherwise. LSU on the other hand just couldn’t be stopped.

Lets stop acting like the OSU penalty cost them the game

Jan 21, 2020, 7:07 AM

It happened in the 3rd quarter.

Those Pac12 officials didn't call a single holding penalty

Jan 20, 2020, 12:16 PM

the entire game. LSU certainly got away with more than their share of it but Clemson benefitted from some of the no-calls as well.

Frankly, if the officials aren't going to call it, why not do it.

There were three calls in the game that I really question; 1) the illegal block on Tee after the Galloway catch, 2) the LSU player touching his hand down OOB that was completely ignored by the official standing right there, and 3) the offensive PI call on Tee that negated a TD.

That said, if called/not called (as the case may be), while the final score would have been closer, not sure final outcome changes. LSU was simply the better team last Monday night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Those Pac12 officials didn't call a single holding penalty

Jan 20, 2020, 3:29 PM

I don't know if I would have had a problem with the offensive PI on Tee had it not been for their first TD pass. You either let them play or you do not. It seemed like the standard changed sometime within the game.

Jan 20, 2020, 5:30 PM [ in reply to Those Pac12 officials didn't call a single holding penalty ]

1. That blind side block is a new rule to protect the players. The thing i didn't like about it is how is tee Supposed to block that guy if he isn't looking. is he su[pposed to just watch the play go by ?

2. I think the hand out of bounds was easy to miss and LSU hurried up and got the next play off before replay could call down.

3. The call on Tee wasn't blatant put it was clear - especially from the ref's position. Tee grabs the DB's shoulder pad and pulls quite a bit. Unfortunately, that was directly in the ref's vision. From the camera angle it looked like give and take, but from the ref's angle - pretty clear.

Jan 20, 2020, 11:19 PM

For #1, the refs on the RefCast said Tee could block him in that situation, just not 'forcibly' block him.

And to add a #4 to the post above, they all agreed there was a missed pick/block OPI on LSU's TD to go from 28 to 35

He did get his left hand on Simmons back there...

Jan 20, 2020, 12:32 PM

but thats not a true holding in my mind...besides, Simmons was blocked on that play by where he blitzed and doubtful he could have made that play if they didnt grab his back there.

Re: He did get his left hand on Simmons back there...

Jan 20, 2020, 1:05 PM

Here is the definition of holding: b. Holding. The hand(s) and arm(s) shall not be used to grasp, pull, hook, clamp or encircle in any way that illegally impedes or illegally obstructs an opponent

The offensive player clearly did grasp Simmons in a manner that impeded his movement.
Whether Simmons could have made the play, is irrelevant to it being holding.

Jan 20, 2020, 2:09 PM

Holding is part of the game. We should do it on every play. The few times it would be called would not outweigh how much benefit we would gain from it. I think some coaches have figured it out in terms of benefit. Wouldn't doubt if the really smart ones have not studied their game film and devised a formula on rewards vs. No rewards. I would start teaching team the proper technique to hold w/o getting flagged. Same for PI. The smart OC AND DC has to always be looking for an advantage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2020, 2:42 PM [ in reply to He did get his left hand on Simmons back there... ]

Exactly. He’s too light to run right into a 300 pounder and think he’s going to bowl him over. Don’t block yourself. And no, holding simply isn’t a penalty any more. Hold on every play and they might call it twice but more than likely only when an extended arm has a full hand of jersey from the side and pulls someone down.

Jan 20, 2020, 5:30 PM [ in reply to He did get his left hand on Simmons back there... ]

Simmons missed his gap and Joe walked right through it.

Jan 20, 2020, 2:44 PM

The RG and RT look worse - they have an identical arm bar across the throat while grabbing jersey.

There was a play where Simmons sacked the QB

Jan 20, 2020, 3:09 PM

and then he got bent backwards and nearly injured because 77 had him wrapped up the entire time and then fell down and brought Simmons with him. It was terrible... and not called.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You might be looking for the.......

Jan 20, 2020, 5:48 PM

.....O-Cry-O message board. This is Tigernet. We lost.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2020, 5:39 AM

Near fall; escape-

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic