Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
And for all the whining...the numbers
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1
   | View Original Thread |

And for all the whining...the numbers

Sep 20, 2018, 12:36 AM

This is the thing that would scare the absolutely crap out of me...if I was an opposing coach looking to take down Clemson. The more you look at the numbers, the scarier Clemson looks.

Clemson hasn't been firing on all cylinders to start the year. As usual. The reason is also the usual: a lot of new pieces, and the vast numbers of players Clemson is playing, in key moments, early on in football games. If you've been paying attention, it's been kind of hard to miss that Clemson has played 3 QB's significant snaps already. And 4 RB's. And 10 WR's. And 5 TE's, 10 OL's, 13 DL's, 9 LB's, and 10 DB's...it goes on. And on.

Dabo plays his guys. Yes, it's inconvenient, especially early. The team looks clunky, often never seems to get in a rhythm. You're having to live with a bunch of Young Player mistakes, often all at once.

And yet...the performance metrics. They're good. Shockingly good, given the perception.

For all the catwerwauling and hand-wringing and external condemnation, Clemson ranks #20 overall in total offense, at 513.0 yards per game. For as "unstoppable" as everyone claims Alabama has looked, the Tide rank just six spots ahead of Clemson, coming in at #14 nationally at 544.7 ypg. Georgia? They're ranked #31 overall, at 488.3 ypg...and they've played absolutely nobody. Well, (cough), South Carolina.

Defense? Clemson ranks 10th overall in total D, giving up just 268.0 ypg. Georgia is (slightly) ahead of us at #7 overall, giving up 258.7 ypg...though again, they've played no one with a pulse yet. Alabama is giving up 302.3 yards per game...good for just 23rd nationally, well below their usual output.

Obviously, Clemson's composite output is the best among the three teams.

You can factor in other contenders, I suppose. Ohio State and Oklahoma are offensive juggernauts thus far. Ohio State is #3 overall (603.0 ypg) in terms of offense, Oklahoma #12 (551.3 ypg). The big problem with both is their defenses: Ohio State is giving up seventy yards a game more than Clemson is, at 345.7ypg (51st nationally), and Oklahoma is doing what Oklahoma has done ever since Brent Venables left town, giving up 384.7ypg...which is good for 80th overall, nationally. Rock on, Sooners.

Parse those stats how you will. What's also interesting to me is that Clemson has, by a bunch, the best statistical win of the year, a true OOC road win at A&M, a venue few other teams would voluntarily play. While other squads have feasted on neutral-site games at best and FCS teams quite often, Clemson went to the most valuable franchise in college football...and beat them, with what amounted to Clemson's "C" game. Not awful.

FWIW.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 1
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic