Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Random question #2 - electric mowers, your experience?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 181

Random question #2 - electric mowers, your experience?

Aug 28, 2014, 8:57 AM

My current mower (a self-propelled Troy Built) is getting close to the end of its lifespan (I've had it a decade, with 2 cross-country moves). Its plastic and rubber parts are cracking, have broken off, or dry rotted. I have to manually put the belt back on the self propelling motor a few times per season. Because of the plastic break downs the bagging attachment doesn't fit properly any more, etc.

Now understand APM is very frugal (I can rub to nickels together and make the buffaloes fart), so I can/will hold onto the TB for as long as needed. However, last year I replaced my old gas-powered trimmer with an electric and I love it.

Just wondering, have any of you used an electric mower and if so, what has been your experience with them? Are they powerful enough to get the job done? How long will a charge last? etc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frugal? Me too. I have a reel mower.***

Aug 28, 2014, 8:57 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Props to you sir. If practical, I would do the same.

Aug 28, 2014, 8:59 AM

But I am afraid a reel mower could not handle my SW VA terrain and flora.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It helps that I only have about 800 sq. ft. to mow.***

Aug 28, 2014, 9:01 AM

With that much yard, you should get a GSP***

Aug 28, 2014, 9:07 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky.

Aug 28, 2014, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Frugal? Me too. I have a reel mower.*** ]

Mine's fake.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see how it's possible for an lith-ion mower

Aug 28, 2014, 9:01 AM

to be efficient considering lith-ion blowers aren't powerful enough to get the job done.

I do love my lith-ion weed eater though

I dunno, this looks pretty good:

Aug 28, 2014, 9:07 AM

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-20-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-3-in-1-Cordless-Lawn-Mower-LM2001/204746234?N=5yc1vZc5arZ1z0ylm1Z1z0zy82

No experience with an electric mower. How big is the area

Aug 28, 2014, 9:03 AM

you need to cut?

I think I could only even remotely consider electric if I were cutting about 1000 square feet.

Frugal? $100 at wal-mart will prolly get you a 19" push mower.

A few weeks ago I sat on the porch and watched

Aug 28, 2014, 9:05 AM

across the street as a neighbor took out their brand new electric mower and proceeded to cut about 3 feet into their yard. After about ten minutes of struggling to cut anything, he went in to the garage and got his gas powered mower to handle the job.

Oh, and Husqvarna FTW***

Aug 28, 2014, 9:05 AM

yes, this is my concern***

Aug 28, 2014, 9:08 AM [ in reply to A few weeks ago I sat on the porch and watched ]

Granted, their lawn is thick, but that's my only experience

Aug 28, 2014, 9:14 AM

with electric mowers...

I have a Greenworks

Aug 28, 2014, 9:08 AM

I have the 40-volt, 19-inch Greenworks, bought off of Woot! a while ago (link to the woot! page: http://tools.woot.com/offers/greenworks-cordless-3-in-1-lawn-mower).

Current model year webpage: http://www.greenworkstools.com/gmax40v/gmax-40v-mowers/19-inch-cordless-lawn-mower-battery-inc/

I had trouble out of the box, it wouldn't start. I called the Greenworks customer support line (only open M-F 9-5 EST...really?), the lady who answered the phone was very helpful and was able to give me a couple trouble shooting steps and the number for my nearest authorized repair center, just in case the tips didn't help. Ends up there's a sheet metal stop opposite the electric switch, meant to be a stop for the draw bar safety handle. If it doesn't retract enough, the starter won't reset and it won't start. Bent the sheet metal down about 1/4-inch and it works.

Now, onto the good stuff - the electric motor does not have as much power as a gas engine and it will stall if the grass is really tall or if you're trying to cut too fast. Not entirely a problem, just back it up a little, restart and push through. The bag attachment is adequate, but smallish and the mower will slow/stall as the bag gets full.

It takes me all of one battery and most of the second battery's life to get the whole yard done -- a little less than a 1/4 acre of our lot is cleared, minus the house, takes me about an hour to push mow including all the stops to empty the bag. Both batteries came with the mower, but only one charger. A lot of online reviews have said "make sure you buy a second charger," but I think if you plan ahead and have both batteries charged ahead of time, you'll be OK.

Now for the what I think are the pluses - it's nowhere near as loud as a gas mower, no ear protection required and I could hear my wife yell at me from the door. Nowhere near as much vibration through the handle. And it's a helluva lot lighter than a gas mower. My yard seems to be 3/4 hill, so this was a nice surprise to not have to lug 100+ pounds of mower back up the hill, only the 60 or so that this one weighs.

I've been using it all summer. It's not a bad mower. I would NOT get this if I was still living in Florida and had that shittyassed Floritam/St. Augustine grass, it's just too thick and would swamp the mower's power. And if I had a larger yard I wouldn't want it because of battery life.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

wait a sec.

Aug 28, 2014, 9:13 AM

you listed "can here my wife yelling at me from the door" under the plusses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point

Aug 28, 2014, 9:15 AM

Although it was because dinner was ready, so....mixed results?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Yea, sounds like gas mower is definitely the way to go***

Aug 28, 2014, 9:22 AM [ in reply to wait a sec. ]

thanks. This is consistent with my trimmer experience.

Aug 28, 2014, 9:22 AM [ in reply to I have a Greenworks ]

Works fine, as long as I have both batteries at the ready and work within the machine's limitations. The light weight, less noise, no pulling a cord, and the lack of fumes from mixed gas are huge pluses over the old gas trimmer.

Screw mowers period

Aug 28, 2014, 9:09 AM

www.tigerturf.com

I like mowing my yard...psycho move, I know***

Aug 28, 2014, 9:14 AM

not my cup of tea***

Aug 28, 2014, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Screw mowers period ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Mowing my lawn is the only peace I get in life.

Aug 28, 2014, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Screw mowers period ]

I have one of these:

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ $$$$ money***

Aug 28, 2014, 11:02 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Always invest in your happy place.***

Aug 28, 2014, 11:36 AM

i cant see the stripes***

Aug 28, 2014, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Screw mowers period ]

Re: Random question #2 - electric mowers, your experience?

Aug 28, 2014, 9:59 AM

I have a 24 volt Worx 19" push mower from Sears that's about
5 years old. It has its + & - stated in the posts all ready. The original battery died 2 years ago and Sears stopped supplying parts for it. Had to order from Worx warehouse in Charlotte for $230.00 + shipping. Brother said he could do better and he did. He found a set at a local
battery supply house. Runs good the batteries profiles are
higher than the originals so I can't lock the cover or use
the original charger. He bought another charger and hooked
them in sequence. It takes 24 hours to charge both batteries, 12 hours per battery.

Mow your own lawn? You sound poor***

Aug 28, 2014, 10:02 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

frugal, so I do not become poor***

Aug 28, 2014, 10:13 AM

not a mower, but the Kobalt electric weedeater

Aug 28, 2014, 10:05 AM

sold at Lowes is BOSS. Got tired of spending 45 minutes trying to crank the old weedeater every time I had 5 minutes of stuff to cut. So I bought the battery weedeater. This one will mow down small pine trees. And it's ready to go instantly.

$149 is a bit pricy, but worth it. Never had an electric mower.

yes, I like my electric trimmer

Aug 28, 2014, 10:12 AM

that's why I'm considering the electric mower

My reccomendations

Aug 28, 2014, 10:34 AM

FTW

Replies: 30
| visibility 181
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic