Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chronic wasting disease in deer is bad.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 509

Chronic wasting disease in deer is bad.

Sep 19, 2019, 5:28 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/18/ted-nugent-says-new-michigan-hunting-rules-will-tr/

The spread of this disease caused SCDNR to ban the use of scents in an effort to prevent transmission through urine into SC. So far the disease has not reached SC deer but it has spread from places like Michigan south to Arkansas.

Supposedly the disease is not transmissable to humans but I wouldn't eat a deer exposed to this. It's related to mad cow disease which had human cases documented to come from cows. In humans it ends up being a disease called CJD. Our neighbor died from it and it is a horrible disease. Furthermore it is impossible to track because deer can carry it for many years before showing symptoms.

As far as I see it Ted Nugent is on the wrong side of this. I understand the ruling ticks people off but CWD is a huge and growing problem in wild deer and is spreading. With cows we were able to control it by changing their feed among other measures. But in the wild deer population its nearly impossible to control. That being said I don't think baiting deer, or stopping the practice, would have any real impact. As noted in SC, urine and scent excreted by deer carries it and it can be transmitted that way. So it is a pointless measure really.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is believed to be spread by crowes as well

Sep 19, 2019, 6:42 AM

Which really makes the whole hunter spreading it by scent argument pretty insignificant

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

I'm hoping our legislature gets together on this and bans

Sep 19, 2019, 8:33 AM

the Robinson brothers from crossing the state line.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chris is a big time jerk......but man I love their music

Sep 19, 2019, 9:01 AM

started reading the new book. Its pretty good and man, once again, what a prick Chris Robinson is, but I will still listen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine copy was a pre-ordered gift, so it supposed to be here

Sep 19, 2019, 9:08 AM

next week. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

let me preface what I am about to say with

Sep 19, 2019, 6:53 AM

I grew up rabbit and deer hunting nearly every weekend. I am pro hunter and love it.

I am also pro animal and I have never agreed with being able to hunt over bait. That’s just not in the spirit of the sport of hunting. We killed plenty of good size bucks in eastern GA for many years and never used scents nor did we use corn/salt licks.

Maybe I am too old school, but I think you have to scout, find scrapes and eventually sit for what seems like weeks at a time to find ol’ mossy back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I grew up hunting deer with dogs.

Sep 19, 2019, 7:29 AM

I remember Saturdays when we would have 80 sanders and a dozen packs of dogs and kill almost 30 deer. Very few people drive with dogs these days and NO ONE does it like we used to do. Even our own club has changed.

Used to be we'd wake up at 5am. 50 to 80 people showed up. We ate eggs, grits, sausage, buscuits, drank coffee etc. Then we'd get a head count and pick a drive based on the number of standers. Each road was marked with stands by pie plates.1 miles apart. Once we had the drive figured out we'd blow the whistle and everyone got in a circle. They'd count off based on how many trucks we had to take standers. Then each number went to a truck and the standers were put out. The drivers with the dogs would come later and go into the drive. Most drivers walked although some were on horseback. Hearing those woods light up right at sunrise with 120 dogs is something I'll never forget.

3 horm blows signaled the end of the morning drive. Standers and their deer were picked up. Went back and skinned the deer then had lunch. Usually cube steak and gravy with buscuits, ham, collards, green beans, and sweet tea. Then everyone slept and/or listened to Jim Phillips calling the Clemson game. Then we circle up, count off and did it again in the afternoon. Clean those deer then divide into piles based on the number wanting meat. We evened up the cuts in the piles and you drew a number from a hat. Then you got the pile with that number.

Some day I will write a book about this.

Also everyone used 2 3/4" shells. Anything larger was not allowed. So much more dangerous with 3 or 4" shells and they eyeball the distance. Just not the same. Less safe.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have a pocket of it in Virginny. While it is bad for hunters,

Sep 19, 2019, 7:05 AM

there aren’t enough hunters and the deer population is out of control.

Frankly, there needs to be a significant culling.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We have a pocket of it in Virginny. While it is bad for hunters,

Sep 19, 2019, 7:13 AM

I think in those instances, hand out buck tags and extend doe days as long as it makes sense. Maybe in certain areas that are flush, just let it be open season....

I am not a game management person, but I agree, in a lot of areas, they need to cull the herd

the coyotes have trimmed our population nicely in sc***

Sep 19, 2019, 7:35 AM [ in reply to We have a pocket of it in Virginny. While it is bad for hunters, ]

Now someone's gonna have to hunt coyotes.***

Sep 19, 2019, 8:59 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is why I put out

Sep 19, 2019, 9:02 AM

Sardines every week.

Widespread distribution of ACME catalogs, imo.***

Sep 19, 2019, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Now someone's gonna have to hunt coyotes.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$50 per coyote in our club.***

Sep 19, 2019, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Now someone's gonna have to hunt coyotes.*** ]

Very nasty stuff

Sep 19, 2019, 7:33 AM

Anything that can be done to limit the spread should be done even if it might not be perfectly effective.

I’m with you on baiting being against the spirit of the hunt - might as well fence them in and run them past the shooters. There are so many deer in SC, if you can’t find one to shoot you need to stick to buying your meat at a grocery store.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you want to bait them - plant some apple or pear trees

Sep 19, 2019, 8:23 AM

my grove is like a singles bar for deer. Have to run them out every morning after they party there all night.

It hit Missouri where my family owns land and house

Sep 19, 2019, 8:44 AM

About 6-7 years ago or even before. Really decimated the deer population by killing off a lot of breeding does. I haven’t hunted out there in years but my Dad goes every year and stays 6 weeks for Bow- Muzzle- and Rifle season. He said the population is still recovering from the first epidemic of the disease.

His Bow deer from last year pic attached

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“This is a Rosa Parks moment,” Mr. Nugent told reporters

Sep 19, 2019, 8:53 AM

What does this have to do with the Outkast song?***

Sep 19, 2019, 8:55 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Drama queen statement.

Sep 19, 2019, 9:24 AM [ in reply to “This is a Rosa Parks moment,” Mr. Nugent told reporters ]

I can deal with no natural scents or bait. Heck most of SC prohibits bait or used to before CWD.

Hadn't heard his name in a while, so I was wondering if

Sep 19, 2019, 9:35 AM [ in reply to “This is a Rosa Parks moment,” Mr. Nugent told reporters ]

Nugent was still a piece of shit. Turns out, he's still a piece of shit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 509
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic