Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is why I avoid political news
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,337

This is why I avoid political news

Feb 17, 2020, 11:18 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/17/business/media/coronavirus-tom-cotton-china.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

First off, he didn't say it was a biological weapon run amok. He said it may have escaped from a lab. That's all. They study bats and coronavirus in Chinese labs. Chinese labs have a history of leaking out SARS, and almost started another outbreak of SARS after the first one when it leaked from a lab. They stopped it with only a few infections of lab workers.

Second, if the virus started in this market, as China suggests, it would not be too difficult to go over there and test the animals in THAT market. This obvious move was never done. They SHOULD have closed the market, made the vendors leave every single animal there, and systematically test them starting with the most likely candidates. To date no exact replica of this virus has been found in any animal. In theory, there is an exact replica of the original strain in that market, before they closed it and the animals "vanished".

Third, the only comprehensive study of the first 41 known cases of the disease indicates patient zero had NO CONTACT with the seafood market. 10 DAYS later, there are 3 more infections. Only one of those had contact with the seafood market. Then another 4 days go by with no further infections. Then most of the subsequent cases have contact with the seafood market. But again, the first patient had NO CONTACT with the seafood market. 10 days go by before any other patients appear. Then those 3 cases...2 of them ALSO had no contact with the seafood market.

Fourth, information about the virus was initially suppressed by the Chinese government. The numbers released were deflated. Yet the Chinese reaction to the disease was disproportionate to the announced number of cases and deaths.

While the theory that this is a biological weapon release, or a population control measure, or whatever other dingbat theories are out there, what Senator Cotton is concerned about is valid. To date, China has handled this very similarly to how they handled SARS (early on at least):

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/13/world/asia/13doctor.html

And they have had SARS infect lab workers even after SARS officially ended:
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2004/05/ill-chinese-lab-workers-didnt-handle-sars-virus

Imagine that. A doctor gave an early warning about SARS when it first appeared and he was silenced. Two Chinese lab workers catch it several years later and no one knows how they got it because they allegedly didn't work with SARS in the lab, even though it was there.

It is not a crazy conspiracy theory to think this may have accidentally escaped from a lab. Perhaps one studying bats. Crazy is the theory it was biologically engineered, and released to control the Chinese population, or as a biological weapon. But it's NOT crazy to refuse to believe Chinese news about viruses. History has so far repeated itself, and once again China has shown they can not be trusted. It's not a crazy theory to think this was totally natural too. Although the earliest cases seem to indicate this did NOT start in that seafood market. And that's what's so great about totalitarian regimes. We will likely never know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tom Cotton's a hysterical wingnut.

Feb 17, 2020, 11:59 AM

So he didn't say it was a bioweapons lab, he said it's "China's only bio-safety level four 'superlaboratory'." That is not a colossal distinction.

He also said this is the "biggest and most important story in the world" and "worse than Chernobyl." He then added, "This situation's at least a million billion times worse than I could have possibly imagined" and then he jumped out the window.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a big distinction. There's no indication this is a

Feb 17, 2020, 2:23 PM

bio-weapon. There is a distinct possibility it could have escaped from a lab though. And yes, it is worse than Chernobyl, although handled similarly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's a big distinction. There's no indication this is a

Feb 17, 2020, 8:55 PM

There is that inference though and Cotton's theory has been debunked, but he still repeats it. It's strictly political. Far too many American's are receptive to all kinds of conspiracy theories. Like Andrew McCabe. The Justice Department ended a 2 year investigation of him and determined that he did nothing that could be criminally prosecuted.

But according to Trump and his supporters, McCabe is still guilty and needs to be in jail. The Trump method of creating and sustaining a following by claiming the 'deep state' and other conspiracy theories works. And it works for far too many Americans. It's a national disgrace that higher education has been too expensive for too long and we have a whole lot of really uneducated people.

Not to mention Tom Cotton is an assh*le. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It hasn't been debunked.

Feb 18, 2020, 7:45 AM

Unless you cite state-controlled Chinese news as the gospel.

We know within literally 10 miles, exactly which farms and pigs in Mexico started the swine flu. We know this because it started in Mexico, then quickly came to the US. We were the front lines, and we figured it out, and released everything openly.

We STILL don't know where SARS came from in 2002 because China. We likewise will never know where this thing came from because China. If this started in a seafood market, why were the animals there not systematically checked. In theory one of those animals would have a perfect genetic match. We found that in Mexico with the swine flu. This would debunk Cotton's theory of an accidental release. And the first case recorded had no contact with the seafood market. 10 days go by then 3 more cases, and 2 of the three of them had no contact. Those first three cases with no contact with the seafood market....do we know their profession? Because it wasn't a vendor in the seafood market.

This may have happened naturally, or not. We won't know this time any more than with SARS because China. But a whole lot of words have been put in Tom Cotton's mouth for suggesting something that is reasonable to at least investigate.

Don't bother

Apr 2, 2020, 3:00 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is why I avoid political news

Feb 17, 2020, 12:52 PM

If you're saying CNN and New York Times and whatnot are too overtly political and trend too far left, yeah, I would agree. They do, and they need to regain their equilibrium and get back to as much middle-of-the-road NPR/BBC-type reporting as possible and stop their editorializing. I don't wanna see talking heads, I want facts.

That said, even CNN loathes and despises Beijing and isn't exactly buddies with Xi. In fact this was their front page AS WE SPEAK, in fact:
https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/02/asia/xinjiang-china-karakax-document-intl-hnk/

It's a pretty brutal expose on what the ethnic Chinese are doing to re-program Muslims for being, you know, Muslim.

I agree that the questions you're asking need answering and China is hardly being forthcoming because, of course, The State Can Do No Wrong, but how is that any different than the utter shielding from accountability Fox News and the so-called "conservative media" do for Trump? They've effectively become exactly the same kind of State TV you're bitterly decrying from China...which is exactly why Trump feels free to do whatever he wants...whenever he wants, and there really seems no bottom to how low he feels empowered to go.

So you're mad the press dismisses Tom Cotton? Well...he earned it. Because when Tom Cotton - himself guilty of massive and habitual distortion - starts repeating master Machiovellian Steve Bannon's talking points, the legit press - sorry, mainstream media is conditioned to just go click, because if Bannnon's lips are moving, 95% of the time he's lying through his teeth.

Boy who cried wolf, you know?

This is quite the damning commentary on the media:

Feb 17, 2020, 10:26 PM

"So you're mad the press dismisses Tom Cotton? Well...he earned it. Because when Tom Cotton - himself guilty of massive and habitual distortion - starts repeating master Machiovellian Steve Bannon's talking points, the legit press - sorry, mainstream media is conditioned to just go click, because if Bannnon's lips are moving, 95% of the time he's lying through his teeth.

Boy who cried wolf, you know?"

My goodness, we expect so little of the media, and darn if they don't deliver.

null

Re: This is quite the damning commentary on the media:

Feb 17, 2020, 10:49 PM

How's that? Steve Bannon has been widely credited as the guy who decided that the Republicans needed to stop going after the Democrats, and start challenging the media. "Flood the zone with sh!t" was a direct Bannon quote.

When you lie and sow misinformation by deliberate policy - and Bannon does - your credibility goes away too. The press is rightly hostile and suspicious of anything Bannon says or does precisely because he delights in sowing chaos and discord. So when Cotton - who doesn't have a lot of cred with the media himself - comes along parroting Bannon talking points, why on Earth would they suddenly take him seriously? Especially when he's spewing rhetoric?

I’m confused. You are the one saying that a US Senator is just a puppet

Feb 17, 2020, 11:57 PM

for Steve Bannon, even though I didn’t see Cotton reference that guy at all. You (or, the NYT) are the one saying he claimed it was a bio weapon gone amok, even though he 1) never said that and 2) took to Twitter to clarify that he never said that.

I didn’t see where Cotton attacked the media here. He questioned the origin story of this virus. Is that grounds for ridicule? Is this another “the science is settled” and we just need to get on board?

They are welcome to not take him seriously...they are not welcome to misrepresent his comment and then blast him for it, just because he’s mean to them. This is what I mean when I say we expect so little of them. Your comment reads as if a misrepresentation is understandable, see Cotton is antagonistic toward the media.

null

They put words in his mouth.

Feb 18, 2020, 7:53 AM

To discount what he says is to accept Chinese state-controlled media. Which is really where they want to get us eventually.

Take the swine flu in 2009. It started on pig farms in Mexico and quickly spread to the US and became a global pandemic. We were on the front lines of that outbreak. I had it, and it was worse than a normal flu. It turned into pneumonia with me. Anyway, we traced the virus back to a 10-mile region of just a couple of pig farms in central Mexico. We found patient zero and the very first cases. We matched the exact virus to the exact pigs in the exact farms to the exact first humans (100%) to catch it. And we released all of this.

China noted the first cases came from a seafood market. BUT not the very first cases. They closed the market and never tested the animals there. They have yet to find an exact genetic match for this. If their story is correct, and they did what they knew they should, then they would have identified the exact animal in that exact market, which would still not explain why the first three cases were NOT EXPOSED to that market. Then they try and cover up the disease until it can't be anymore. Then they react FAR beyond their numbers suggest they should react. In fact, we had a replay of SARS in that they punished an early doctor to release information about the disease.

Our media trusts the Chinese government far more than the Chinese people.

Re: They put words in his mouth.

Feb 18, 2020, 7:56 AM

I dont want to jinx it, but I havent had the flu since I was a kid, so over 35 years ago.

Swine flu sucked. Early on a lot of people had complication

Feb 18, 2020, 8:18 AM

which made it more deadly than regular flu. I had that. 105.5 fever, pneumonia, couldn't breathe, and the sickest I've ever been. I've had the flu three other previous times and it was nothing compared to that.

Upside, it's not as bad now. Last year everyone in my house got flu shots. I didn't. Swine flu went around again last year. It's milder now. Anyway, wife and all three sons got it. They all had the shot. I didn't have the shot and didn't catch it. Unlike most flu, early swine flu people have a permanent(?) immunity to it and several close strains. At least it's a lot longer immunity than people usually develop when they recover from the flu. That was 2009 and I haven't had the flu since. It's gone through our house more years than not since then. 2 sons have had it this year.

gain of function virus research has been going on for years

Feb 18, 2020, 10:22 AM

in labs around the world, including the US. It is controversial, because of the risk of outbreak.

It seems likely to me that this was going to happen eventually, bounded only by chance and chaos; a case of science being conducted without the requisite discipline, as Dr. Ian Malcolm would say.

Sen. Cotton should also remind everyone that we conduct this kind of research in labs all over our own country.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/lab-made-coronavirus-triggers-debate-34502

That Tom Cotton... sharp as a husk.***

Feb 18, 2020, 9:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,337
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic