Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
my truth about ventilators
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,385

my truth about ventilators

Mar 26, 2020, 9:22 PM

I think ventilators are being portrayed as a lifeline ... if you can get a ventilator, you'll live.

This is far from the truth. The longer you are on a ventilator, the less chance that you'll ever be able to breathe on your own. If you can't beat the virus in a few days, you're gonna be in trouble. You may live but there is a good chance that you'll be on a vent for the rest of your days.

My dad was on a ventilator for a year before he passed. It's not pretty.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re very right in associating vent need and longer vent time

Mar 26, 2020, 9:29 PM

With poor outcomes. However, there are certainly many people who are intubated, vented, and recover ultimately. Especially intubations related to other, unrelated issues - those people will arguably suffer more as they may have a very treatable condition but could die due to lack of access to a vent

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: my truth about ventilators

Mar 26, 2020, 10:03 PM

One can still become infected if they have the proper equipment. But the PPE improves the chances the healthcare worker does not become infected. I guess the ventilator is the same. It's better than not having one. And I agree, it is ugly.

My dad was on a ventilator as well and passed many years ago. Had open heart surgery which went fine. Recovery seemed to be going fine and he was alert and doing well. Then he developed ARDS over the course of several days. Then they had to intubate him as the ARDS progressed. The good and bad part is he was a physician and devote Christian. So he had no fear but knew the chances of him leaving the hospital alive was next to zero. Gave us all words of wisdom, kissed my mom, thanked her for being his wife, and then he was intubated. Four days later he was gone.

But at least he had a slim shoit once he was intubated. ARDS is a beast.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,385
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic