Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My thoughts on the UGA game.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 86
| visibility 1

My thoughts on the UGA game.

Aug 10, 2013, 9:47 AM

The first thing is that I will be watching this game at 8 am in the morning from Shenzhen, China. Does that make it ok to wake up and start drinking beer and tailing-gating at 5 am? Well I think I will just to calm my nerves alone! BTW, if there are any Clemson fans in Hong Kong or Shenzhen they are welcome to come by. I WILL have the game.

Secondly, I think the fans of either team who get caught in a blow-out loss will be very disappointed. Make no mistake, UGA fans aren't as cocky about this game as they might seem. They are coming into a difficult place to play with a game-day frenzied crowd behind them. They'll say it's just "another big stage" blah blah. Top ten opening day Game Day games against an old past rival and top ten team at Clemson isn't JUST another big stage game. Fans have had time to think about this since the end of the bowl games last year.

Finally the game....many of you guys here will argue with me about this but I am standing by my prediction that we will have a difficult time stopping the run. Remember Dyer and Auburn last year? Sure it was the first game but it also wasn't UGA. Hill even got his yards the last game of the season though we did a good job in short yardage verses LSU. I just don't think that game was the norm. We are going to really miss Willard. It surprises me that NO ONE even mentions this. Our DL will need LB help to stop the run and I just don't see that coming from Anthony or Christian. My only hope is that Steward is as good I we think he'll be. I still don't understand why him or Shuey aren't at Mike. My guess is that Anthony just has a difficult time grasping the play book to move or cross-train. Last year Anthony rarely made plays and was always caught in the wash up the middle. Anthony is a liability out there but if he starts then it must mean he is part of the best three.

I do think we will score but the run game could really slow Morris down and put us in a tight game - even a game where we really get behind (gulp). I think it'll be tight though with Morris having all that time.

In those games (really all games) you need to talk about special teams. The kick return at FSU killed us last year but we have no way of knowing how this team will be this year on KO and punt returns. We also can't predict turn-overs. That is what killed UGA at USC last year, not the crowd.

We do know that we have a solid FG kicker and UGA doesn't not. I hope Pininon (sp?) is as good as we hear. Changing the field position and getting UGA in third and long backed up will be the key. There you might see Murray make some mistakes.

I think we win by 6 but we struggle against the run.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I´ll add...

Aug 10, 2013, 9:55 AM

that I think we kick 4 FGs that day.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gonna be lower scoring than the experts think. 1st game

Aug 10, 2013, 10:03 AM

is usually more of defensive battle. UGA gonna try to run the ball. The key stat will be 3rd downs. The only way we beat LSU is that we stopped them on 3rd downs.

We had like 7 or 8 straight 3 and outs and still barely won that game. Can't let UGA kill us on 3rd downs like SCar did.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we gift wrapped a couple turnovers for them in our end of

Aug 10, 2013, 2:05 PM

the field, which they turned into easy points. otherwise, the game wasn't as close as the score. same for any game, we give the ball away, it's close, or we may lose. ball security is a must.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point.

Aug 11, 2013, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Gonna be lower scoring than the experts think. 1st game ]

I kind of alluded to that with flipping the field and getting Murray in 3rd and longish. Well maybe I didn't say that but was thinking it.

Anyway, you are absolutely right. Stuff the run on first and possibly second down then send the blitz.

You make a number of good points.

Aug 10, 2013, 10:10 AM

I'm a UGA fan, and I'm very nervous about this game. I don't expect it to be a shootout.
I think both teams will be nervous, and the defenses will dictate much more than most people expect.
Watkins scares me. Boyd scares me. Your offense overall really scares me, and I expect your defense to be very stout.
I look forward to a good game.

Re: You make a number of good points.

Aug 10, 2013, 10:14 AM

I'm wanting a great game for both programs and I will definitely become a Dawg fan week 2!! I am ANTI-COOT!!!!!!

Re: You make a number of good points.

Aug 11, 2013, 10:18 AM [ in reply to You make a number of good points. ]

Yeah, I figured that you guys were worried. Heck, I would be against any top team team opponent first game of the season on the road. It's only natural. This SEC or ACC dribble doesn't mean shyat when the pads start popping. This is Clemson verses UGA not SEC verses ACC.

We played Texas A&M a few years back early in the season at home. They were pretty good and the game was low-scoring like you think this game will be. There are so many unknowns that literally nothing would surprise me.

no clemson fan...

Aug 10, 2013, 10:43 AM

Would ever knock you for drinking beer at 8am! Most of us will be too, Cheers! Go Tigers!

Re: no clemson fan...

Aug 11, 2013, 10:20 AM

Thanks man but it won't be A beer I can promise you! Beer and eggs....kinda has a ring to it doesn't it?

Re: My shorter thoughts on the UGA game.

Aug 10, 2013, 10:48 AM

I expect this game to be a wild offensive display from both teams.

It will come down to turnovers.

Which offense will bite itself in the paw?

Do not see a shootout.

Aug 10, 2013, 10:53 AM

The UGA defense is usually pretty tough about giving up points.
I also like Clemson's front seven.
You can lean to the Peach Bowl from last year, but that was not a shootout either, and I expect a similar game.

uga lost 7 players on defense to the nfl.....

Aug 10, 2013, 11:26 AM

They have talent, but are inexperienced. Their first game will have breakdowns.

Our offense has lots of experience and another year under the Chad's system. And we're gonna be faster than last year.

UGA returns a very experienced offense. Death Valley will be the loudest it's been in the last few seasons, but their offense will handle it (after learning a hard lesson at billy brice last season).

Our defense will be better, but I expect us to get burned some. Too many questions about our db's.

At least 30 points from both offenses.

Just saying. You heard it here first about defense.**

Aug 10, 2013, 11:30 AM

nm

Re: My thoughts on the UGA game.

Aug 10, 2013, 10:53 AM

Dyer didn't play for Auburn last year. Your other points are valid.

Solid, fair analysis

Aug 10, 2013, 10:57 AM

I agree with missing Tig. In the Clemson games I watched he really was in the right place at the right time more often than not.

And, as you alluded to for the UGA offense, they are hard to defend because they put so much pressure on the opposing linebackers. They'll pound away with Gurley and Marshall, and when the LB's creep up a step too much, they'll bang out a pass across the middle exactly where the LBs should have been. UGA is equally adept at running and passing, so it is almost impossible to make them one-dimensional.

Here was a quote on UGA from that Athlon "What the SEC Coaches are saying" article:

"They don’t wow you with X’s and O’s because they don’t have to. They remind you of the Miami teams in the early 2000s. They lined up in pro sets and twins and you got a chuckle out of it, then 450 yards and 42 points later they got the last laugh."

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2013#sthash.otWPSSo6.dpuf

Re: Solid, fair analysis

Aug 11, 2013, 10:12 AM

Thanks. Yes, and isn't that scary?

Go Cremsin Tiga, Fa Kin Su Pa!!***

Aug 10, 2013, 11:03 AM

nm

Gurley gets > 175 yards rushing.....

Aug 10, 2013, 11:18 AM

we need turnovers to win

Re: Gurley gets > 175 yards rushing.....

Aug 10, 2013, 11:21 AM

i don't think he gets quite that much but he could get close. like around the 150 mark.

null

We hold him under 100 yards

Aug 10, 2013, 11:45 AM

Georgia is going to have to throw the ball to beat us.

Agree and disagree.

Aug 11, 2013, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Gurley gets > 175 yards rushing..... ]

Agree that he gets somewhere close to that number. I don't think we need turn overs but it would help for sure.

Venables will force UGA to throw and catch to win.

Aug 10, 2013, 11:25 AM

Boyd and Clemson can complete passes when everyone knows we will be throwing. Not sure Murray can do that.

Boyd has added a little quickness and speed in the offseason and I expect his ability to run from an empty backfield or when the play breaks down will be the difference in the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Making UGA one dimensional is a very tall order.

Aug 10, 2013, 11:42 AM

Venables will have to commit to 8 in the box all night long if he wants to shut down the UGA run game. That would put a lot of pressure on a secondary that has yet to prove itself.

Our offense will also pressure UGA to throw the ball more.

Aug 10, 2013, 12:46 PM

We are going to score against your defense. You lost too many experienced and talented players and your defensive system is too complicated for a good start with so many new guys. Plus, you wasted a ton of preparation time in the spring implementing a defense predicated on Josh Harvey Clemons' unique talents.

We don't have to shut down the run totally to get you guys throwing more and getting away from your running game. We just need to slow it down with our front 7, like we did versus LSU. Bobo will go into the game thinking, like LSU did and like Spurrier did, that he has to attack our secondary in the passing game to win. He's got a better passing game than LSU, and a better running game than Spurrier, but he's not the play caller Spurrier is. Georgia's passing game won't be as good as their numbers might indicate from last year. Too many yards against inferior opponents because they kept their starting quarterback in too long since they were redshirting the number 2 qb and were unwilling to play the third string guy.

Clemson is neither as inexperienced nor as untalented in the secondary as many seem to think. We had injuries to 3 of our top 4 cornerbacks that caused our defensive backs to get worn down over the course of a game and give up big plays. With this being the first game, all of those guys are back and healthy.

The bottom line is, both teams have great offenses. But, while Georgia lost the core of their defense to the NFL, the core of Clemson's defense returns and went from freshmen and sophomores to sophomores and juniors and, combined with the return of the injured players, is much more likely to have a good first game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our offense will also pressure UGA to throw the ball more.

Aug 10, 2013, 1:23 PM

> We are going to score against your defense. You lost
> too many experienced and talented players and your
> defensive system is too complicated for a good start
> with so many new guys.

The thing here is that Clemson won't be able to out athlete UGA like they can most every ACC team not named "FSU". Athletic defenses with a big, rangy front seven are like Kryptonite to spread offenses. It is no coincidence that Clemson's lowest points scored last year came against defenses that could match up athlete to athlete with the Clemson O. Yes, UGA will lack in actual game experience, but they won't lack in the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

> Plus, you wasted a ton of
> preparation time in the spring implementing a defense
> predicated on Josh Harvey Clemons' unique talents.

Not really true here. UGA will still run the same nickel package with the "Star" position, just with the next man on the depth chart. Damian Swann played "Star" last year, and Brandon Boykin did the year before. You act like this was a position solely created for JHC. It wasn't.

> We don't have to shut down the run totally to get you
> guys throwing more and getting away from your running
> game. We just need to slow it down with our front 7,
> like we did versus LSU.

Clemson used more than their front seven to slow down LSU last year. Watch it again. Lot's of 8 in the box. Thing is LSU didn't have the passing game to capitalize. Clemson won't be able to contain the UGA rush game with the normal 7 in the box. They'll have to commit an 8th man if they want to slow Gurley and company down.

> Bobo will go into the game
> thinking, like LSU did and like Spurrier did, that
> he has to attack our secondary in the passing game to
> win. He's got a better passing game than LSU, and a
> better running game than Spurrier, but he's not the
> play caller Spurrier is. Georgia's passing game
> won't be as good as their numbers might indicate from
> last year. Too many yards against inferior opponents
> because they kept their starting quarterback in too
> long since they were redshirting the number 2 qb and
> were unwilling to play the third string guy.

The secret to slowing down UGA's passing game is being able to pressure Murray early and often. Preferably, from only having to rush four so you can drop 7. Clemson doesn't have the DL to consistently pressure Murray and will be forced to bring 5 or more. Playing cover 1 or cover 0 against a QB as experienced as Murray is akin to playing Russian Roulette.

> Clemson is neither as inexperienced nor as untalented
> in the secondary as many seem to think. We had
> injuries to 3 of our top 4 cornerbacks that caused
> our defensive backs to get worn down over the course
> of a game and give up big plays. With this being the
> first game, all of those guys are back and healthy.

Honestly speaking, none of the guys at coming back at CB for Clemson are game changers, even the ones coming back from injury last year. Alexander may be, but we probably should let him play a game or two before crowning him.

> The bottom line is, both teams have great offenses.
> But, while Georgia lost the core of their defense to
> o the NFL, the core of Clemson's defense returns and
> went from freshmen and sophomores to sophomores and
> juniors and, combined with the return of the injured
> players, is much more likely to have a good first
> game.

The thing about this is that even if UGA takes a step back in overall defense next year, Clemson would have to take a pretty hefty step up to even be on the same level.

One thing I do know is that it will be fun to watch it all play out.

Oh my.

Aug 10, 2013, 1:27 PM

Did Girly and Murray share the Heisman last year and, I missed it?

Those two must be, by far, the best players to ever strap up.

wow

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And, we're doomed.***

Aug 10, 2013, 1:27 PM

Well, they are arguably the best QB/RB combo

Aug 10, 2013, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Oh my. ]

In the nation this year. Arguments could be made for some other folks too, but Murray and Gurley are definitely in that conversation.

And, before someone else points it out

Aug 10, 2013, 1:32 PM

Boyd and Watkins are arguably the best QB/WR combo in the nation.

Let me guess. UGA's secondary will stop them, with

Aug 10, 2013, 1:45 PM

regularity.

No, but they do have a guy who had an amazing 4 sacks last

Aug 10, 2013, 2:02 PM

year. He's their leading sack guy, and at 4 sacks on the entire season we're obviously going to seeing immense pressure from him all night. At least that's what this dude so_co tells us.

Nevermind the fact Vic Beasley has 8 sacks last year.

IHe had me thinking that. perhaps, Girly and Murray may

Aug 10, 2013, 2:04 PM

play both ways.

Murray hikes to Murray. He pitches to Gurley who throws

Aug 10, 2013, 2:09 PM

back to Murray. Gurley races 30 yards downfield and gets a key block, then Murray waltzes into the endzone.

Man, we're in big trouble.

Re: No, but they do have a guy who had an amazing 4 sacks last

Aug 10, 2013, 2:09 PM [ in reply to No, but they do have a guy who had an amazing 4 sacks last ]

Jordan Jenkins had 5 sacks last year and was a true freshman.

Darn, you know you're right..It was 5.

Aug 10, 2013, 2:12 PM

Makes matters much worse.

Who's next on your sack list? Damian Swann...with 2 sacks? Does any other returning guy have more than 1?

Re: No, but they do have a guy who had an amazing 4 sacks last

Aug 10, 2013, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: No, but they do have a guy who had an amazing 4 sacks last ]

Playing on the opposite side of an AA? He did good.

Never said that

Aug 10, 2013, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Let me guess. UGA's secondary will stop them, with ]

But it won't be just an easy pitch and catch all night. The Dawg D will put up a respectable fight.

What you did say is...

Aug 10, 2013, 2:26 PM

that you don't think that Clemson's D will be as respectable, in this fight. Yet, you have zero evidence to suggest that UGA's d is going to be as scrappy, as you hope.

What I do think is

Aug 10, 2013, 2:32 PM

That a lot of the Clemson weaknesses on D are being glossed over.

I also think that too much is being made about the losses that UGA has had on defense and not enough emphasis is being put on the people that UGA does have. Just trying to shed some light on areas that deserve more attention IMO.

in other words, you think your last years #2's and 3's, and

Aug 10, 2013, 2:36 PM

the kids you signed, are better than our starters of last year, who were injured, and had to sit, making our #2's and 3's play.

Stop glossing.***

Aug 10, 2013, 2:39 PM

At CB specifically ...

Aug 10, 2013, 2:58 PM [ in reply to in other words, you think your last years #2's and 3's, and ]

UGA's Damian Swann is the best of any of the returning CBs from both teams, and then I also think that UGA's second CB Sheldon Dawson would be a starter at Clemson.

At safety, I'd probably pick Blanks as the best overall returner playing safety, but as the second I'd be hard pressed to say as Smith has a few snaps over his career (163 to be precise), but Mathews is a big time talent. Tough call.

Um, you are aware we played nearly the entire season

Aug 10, 2013, 3:25 PM

without 3 potential starters in the secondary last year, right? Those guys are all back just fyi.

In my opinion it would be very unwise to try and project Venables 1st year into his 2nd year. In his 1st year he brought a much different system than Steele's, plus he had an EXTREMELY limited secondary.

By seasons end we saw nice strides last year, and all things considered we expect a nice jump on defense this year.

Don't know if we're going to see it all in game 1, but I do think it's a mistake to project last year into this one.

Whereas, do you think your defense will be as 'good' as last years? Even if you say yes, do you think that will come to fruition in game 1?

One name. Jordan Jenkins.

Aug 10, 2013, 3:30 PM

Game changer and Butkus Award winner, in his second season and first at the almighty "will" position.

He's a kicker and punter too.

Jadaveon who?

Move over heisman!

DUDE HAD FIVE SACKS!!!***

Aug 10, 2013, 3:31 PM

No way!! In one game??***

Aug 10, 2013, 3:33 PM

uhhh...No, not really. That was over the course of the

Aug 10, 2013, 3:36 PM

entire season, while playing opposite an AA.

I don't get the giddyness.

Why have 11 Jordan Jenkins?....

Aug 10, 2013, 3:37 PM

When you only need 1?

In all of this talk, you're forgetting about the dual

Aug 10, 2013, 3:39 PM

Heisman winners.

In the history of the trophy...

Aug 10, 2013, 3:43 PM

have they ever had a tie? How about 3 guys from one team in NY for the award ceremony?

"And the award for this years best player goes to, well, to both Murray and Gurley, from national champs, UGA!!" (crowd cheers).

And of course, Jordan Jenkins finishes as a runner up.

Yes I am aware.

Aug 10, 2013, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Um, you are aware we played nearly the entire season ]

Breeland, Jenkins, and Robinson are all coming back.

As for the two defenses, it all starts up front and that's the wildcard.

For UGA a shift in philosophy on rotation plus a greater number of available lineman bode well for a better overall DL. And in my book anytime a DL gets better the opportunity for the whole defense to get better is strong.

For Clemson things are a little murkier. I do think the DT rotation will be good to very good. I wouldn't say any of the main three Jarrett, Reader, or Watson are worldbeaters by themselves, but they'll be able to get the job done more often than not. The DEs are more of a concern. Crawford, while stout against the run, just doesn't get after the QB very well. Then Beasley, the other projected starter, can rush the passer, but is a big question mark against the run. Neither situation is ideal, and to make the 4-3 hum you have to be able to trust your DEs to be good at both areas.

If only we had a Jordan Jenkins, we wouldn't have to

Aug 10, 2013, 3:43 PM

worry about the rest of our pedestrian defense.

Glossed over? I really don't see a whole lot of that.

Aug 10, 2013, 2:38 PM [ in reply to What I do think is ]

What we all hope for is a much improved D.

If there's any glossing over going on, I'd say it's your delusions that, somehow, your 5 sack freshman/sophomore wonder is going to throw off our entire offensive scheme. All the while, more no names are going to clamp down on all 5 of our receiving threats, along with our sevicable running game.

Did I get that wrong? Is that not your view of things?

Jordan Jenkins will take over at Jarvis Jones old spot

Aug 10, 2013, 3:05 PM

That's the featured pass rushing role in Grantham's defense. A change in role is why I think his numbers will go up.

But, that's just it. He got the numbers that he did because

Aug 10, 2013, 3:10 PM

he was opposite Jarvis. You're hoping his numbers go up.

In the scheme that UGA runs

Aug 10, 2013, 3:17 PM

the Sam and the Will have different duties in passing situations. The Sam has a lot more coverage duties where the Will is going to be one of the four rushers a very high percentage of the time.

Every year under Grantham the Will OLB has had double digit sacks. This year will be no different.

And, you think a second year dude, playing the position

Aug 10, 2013, 3:19 PM

for the first time, in a road game, is gonna be a game changer?

You're delusional. And, double digit sacks? I hope he gets half of them in week two.

Jordan Jenkins is that kind of talent

Aug 10, 2013, 3:27 PM

He's a good one to be sure.

THAT kind huh? I'm sure he's a very good player, but

Aug 10, 2013, 3:32 PM

you're gonna need more than Jordan Jenkins in this one, chief.

pfffft***

Aug 10, 2013, 3:33 PM

Good thing we have more

Aug 10, 2013, 3:43 PM [ in reply to THAT kind huh? I'm sure he's a very good player, but ]

:)

We have more. You've just deluded yourself into

Aug 10, 2013, 3:44 PM

thinking that Girly/Murray are gonna seal a trip to New York, in game one.

And, you assume that we'll just lay a slab of meat out

Aug 10, 2013, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Jordan Jenkins will take over at Jarvis Jones old spot ]

there for him to just step over or around.

Gosh, man...put a little less heart into you logical, analytical assessments.

Jordan Jenkins eats pancakes off Chuck Norris' head.

Aug 10, 2013, 3:15 PM

We are in BIG trouble.

Didn't say that

Aug 10, 2013, 3:19 PM [ in reply to And, you assume that we'll just lay a slab of meat out ]

But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that the Clemson OL was a brick wall last year.

We're in this year dude. This year.

Aug 10, 2013, 3:22 PM

The O line wasn't horrible last year and, will be better this year.

Your second year dude, playing the position in his first game, on the road, is not going to beat us.

Dream up a different scenario.

I hope, much like LSU, that UGA tries to bring the heat.

Of course it will be necessary for us to get 1st downs in the process, like we did against LSU, but if we can get 1st downs then we will completely gas them before the 4th or somewhere in the 4th. Like we did LSU. My opinion anyway.

Here's to first downs...

Southerncomfort

Aug 10, 2013, 2:44 PM [ in reply to What I do think is ]

First of all I want to commend you for your lucid thoughts. So very different from when a coot gets loose on the board. I think the bottom line is both defenses will be challenged. Furthermore the thing I am most concerned about with your team is that you do have great balance on offense and we can't just load up the box on you guys should be a good game.

Thanks.

Aug 10, 2013, 3:03 PM

I try to be logical and make valid schematic based points.

And I agree both defenses will have their hands full. Just because I think UGA has a lot of talent on defense doesn't mean I think they will shut down the Clemson O. Sammy and Boyd will get theirs.

Will be fun to see how it plays out.

Do you think 8 in the box could even be effective?

Aug 11, 2013, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Venables will force UGA to throw and catch to win. ]

This worries me.

In the similar manner as it was against LSU, yes.

Aug 11, 2013, 10:45 AM

Putting an extra man in the box is risky for two main reasons.

1) Yes, it can be effective in slowing down the run game just like what happened to LSU overall. That being said, it also opens up the possibility of bigger plays in the running game when someone misses an assignment upfront. There is less help on the back end, so a play that maybe would have gone for 8 yards now turns into 50 because the safety was up in the box rather than playing as that safety valve. That really was the tale of the tape in the Peach Bowl, as LSU wasn't really able to consistently move the ball on the ground, but they did get a few big chunk plays that resulted in TDs.

2) Committing that 8th man leaves the secondary short handed. So against LSU, the Clemson pass rush, and more specifically M. Goodman, was able to mitigate this risk by giving Mettenburger no time in the pocket. The deeper routes run to take advantage of a defense loading the box require more time in the pocket for the routes to develop, and LSU didn't have that luxury.

So, if Clemson can consistently pressure Murray, then 8 in the box on the regular could work.

It will be fun to see how it all works out.

Agree however concerned after scrimmage

Aug 11, 2013, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Venables will force UGA to throw and catch to win. ]

Have we got too many fragile cornerbacks?

Aug 10, 2013, 11:38 AM

I remember seeing the hosts on TCI predicting 40 and 50+ points to be scored against SCAR last year. Didn't happen and it wasn't even close....lowest point total all year actually.

The UGA game will be similar, because like it or not the SEC is built defense first and it is a different type of football. The CFA bowl was a win but it was a low scoring SEC type game. Those on here predicting the offense to get into the 30's and 40's are not being realistic.....it could happen but it's not likely.

That's why I said Chad needs to be conservative and not try and run 90+ plays. There was an early lead in the SCAR game and the defense was fresh, but as the game wore on and the offense was having trouble moving the ball.....it meant the defense was on the field longer than they were accustomed and by the 4th quarter it was only a turnover that stopped SCAR's offense.

I think there could be an early lead against UGA but if the offense does not continue to score and Chad continues to play HUNH without moving the ball, while UGA is grinding and playing field position.....then I think the lead could evaporate late as the defense tires and their running game will take over.

Aug 10, 2013, 11:53 AM

"That's why I said Chad needs to be conservative and not try and run 90+ plays. There was an early lead in the SCAR game and the defense was fresh, but as the game wore on and the offense was having trouble moving the ball.....it meant the defense was on the field longer than they were accustomed and by the 4th quarter it was only a turnover that stopped SCAR's offense."

I don't think the amount of plays was the problem. It was the total abandonment of the run that was our demise.

Aug 10, 2013, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: My thoughts on the UGA game. ]

Call me old school, but that's what I don't like about the HUNH. We have questions on defense, UGA has questions on defense. The difference is number of plays each will be on the field. When your defense is your weak link, you don't want them to be on the field 100 plays. We can score early and often, but if we do get an early lead, I would love for us to be able to run some time off the clock. It will be hot and the excitement of the first game will burn a lot of energy, I hope our defense is up to it.

Aug 10, 2013, 12:25 PM

Georgia feels like their offense will run easily on us, and our defensive line will not be able to handle their strong offensive line or tackle their awesome running backs.

HUNH

Aug 10, 2013, 1:59 PM

To suggest that the only way we can win is if our OC abandons his entire offensive philosophy is craaaazy!

if you are old school, you will know that there is nowhere

Aug 10, 2013, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: My thoughts on the UGA game. ]

near 200 plays in a cfb game. if we snap it 100 X, uga won't have near that many offensive snaps. come on, think about it.

Message was edited by: sgt tiger®

We played at least 5 defenses better than UGA's last year,

Aug 10, 2013, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: My thoughts on the UGA game. ]

and we beat all but one of those teams.

UGA lost the majority of their entire defense; both in tackles and sacks.

Please spare me the "SEC defense" crap.

Re: We played at least 5 defenses better than UGA's last year,

Aug 10, 2013, 2:13 PM

That's right Bro. Not to mention that our offense punched LSU's D right in the mouth. Swinney is making these boys tough and we don't care what conference you play in

as i stated in another thread, if we are running 90+ plays,

Aug 10, 2013, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Re: My thoughts on the UGA game. ]

our defense is sitting on those plays. there are only so many plays in a cfb game. the more plays we are running our offense = fewer # of plays our defense is on the field.
in other words, what you are saying goes both ways.

Message was edited by: sgt tiger®

Re: as i stated in another thread, if we are running 90+ plays,

Aug 10, 2013, 3:47 PM

I feel better about slowing their awesome RBs than slowing Murray.
http://ryankantor.com/2013/07/30/football-season-preview-2013-clemson-tigers/

Aug 10, 2013, 4:09 PM

Tigers will have to put pressure on the Ga QB to have a chance to win this game, I think that's the key. Those two DEs must be coming and coming hard! In that USUc game last year that was the key, Clowney and that tall other end put heat on him and he collapsed early. The crowd will play a major part in this game. If we can get loud and stay loud, we have a fighting chance to take it. I believe alot of points will be scored in this game. Ga defense has to replace alot of startes from last years team.

"Clowney and that tall other end"....Logan Thomas was his

Aug 11, 2013, 10:15 AM

name, I think :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats. Today is also the start of BREAKING BAD again!***

Aug 11, 2013, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: My thoughts on the UGA game. ]

Replies: 86
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic