Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Big XII is still possible
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Why Big XII is still possible

Jun 26, 2012, 11:39 PM

1. There has been no official statement from the BIG XII saying expansion is dead.

2. There has been plenty of "blogging" about why Notre Dame is the major hold up > because ND is the true target in expansion for the Big XII.

IMO, the Notre Dame info being put forth will most likely play out to be a great dis-information campaign.

3. There has been plenty of blogging about UT and new Big XII commish not wanting expansion...wait, I thought the new commish was big on expansion? UT is used to being portrayed the bad guy. Why change that now, especially if it suits their purpose?

4. Four Team playoff is approved.

I know, all we have to do is win....isn't it an amazing thing that every team that was once a proud football tradition, and is now in the ACC, is laughable at best when the chips are on the table. Is that an individual University issue, or is it an ACC issue?

5. BIG XII Championship Game.

Time will tell, even if York won't!

Message was edited by: HuntClub®

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: Why Big XII is still possible

Jun 26, 2012, 11:42 PM

Dont't forget, the dude said so too...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Bwahaaa

Jun 26, 2012, 11:46 PM

Got to be kidding me

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Big 12 has more reason to expand now that ever.

Jun 26, 2012, 11:48 PM

RPI/SOS and a bigger cut of the playoff money.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quite honestly, despite the way perceptions are now,

Jun 26, 2012, 11:54 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if by 2014 the ACC considered a better football conference than the Big 12. I don't doubt one bit the Big 12 wants to expand b/c I don't think Texas and Oklahoma can support the entire conference and I'm not so sure TCU, Oklahoma St, and West Virginia can consistently play at the highest level needed to keep the Big 12 as an elite conference. I also don't have a lot of hope on the other schools stepping up consistently either. I'll take the ACC's future any day of the week. Just my 2 cents!

Re: Quite honestly, despite the way perceptions are now,

Jun 26, 2012, 11:57 PM

The ACC's future = basketball and 8 of 12 are 1000 percent committed to it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would never argue that the ACC would rather be a

Jun 27, 2012, 12:04 AM

football conference than a basketball conference. It would be a cold day in h3ll before that ever happened. However, I don't see any reason why the conference can't be solid all around. There are certainly enough schools in the ACC with great football tradition that care enough to do what it takes to get their respective programs improved. Basketball doesn't have to suffer for this to be done.

Re: I would never argue that the ACC would rather be a

Jun 27, 2012, 12:31 AM

One word money

Unless the others start pulling their weight no tv contract will rival other conferences. Right now there are 8 teams riding the coat tails of 4.

There's your reason.

No media outlet worth a crap is going to give the same revenue for 4 even really good football teams when other conferences have four really good teams and 4 or more good teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are there any numbers available for TV ratings for

Jun 27, 2012, 1:13 AM

each school?

Other than last year, have we had better ratings than UNC, State, and UMD who have many more alumni and population bases than us?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are there any numbers available for TV ratings for

Jun 27, 2012, 8:45 AM

if you can find that link you'll be the first in the ultraverse....

Clemson, FSU, Miami and VT bring in the revenue....that's fact. Clemson, FSU, Miami and VT are the football schools....that's fact...Clemson, FSU, Miami and VT have the most nationally televised games every season....that's fact.....and that's all you need to know.

I think' it's a given re: FSU and VT, and us last year.

Jun 27, 2012, 10:56 AM

If State is undefeated when they play UNC this year, are ratings better when we play Duke?

Blow your smoke somewhere else because you don't really know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UNC seemed pretty committed to football with their

Jun 27, 2012, 12:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Quite honestly, despite the way perceptions are now, ]

cheating. Us, FSU, State, Miami, GT, VT, BC, UVA, and Pitt are committed as much or more than basketball.

Re: UNC seemed pretty committed to football with their

Jun 27, 2012, 8:48 AM

You're joking right? BC had a little success because of matt ryan and they let Tom O'Brien walk....ummm no they're not....

I could see you making the case for GT getting Paul Johnson but they have a ceiling because they can't recruit.....

UVA and Pitt might be committed to football as much as basketball but let's face, they don't bring anythign to the table and never will.

Why not? LOL***

Jun 27, 2012, 10:57 AM

Yep

Jun 27, 2012, 12:01 AM [ in reply to Quite honestly, despite the way perceptions are now, ]

The biggest thing is that the Big 12 lost TAMU, Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and replaced them with TCU and WVU. Who knows how those teams will fare with tougher competition in a new conference.

In the ACC teams like Maryland Virginia NCSU and BC have normally been better than what they have been the past few years. I'm sure in time they will get back to where they were instead of these 2-10 type seasons.

We're right on the verge of passing the Pac-12 as well.

Jun 27, 2012, 12:18 AM

They have USC and Oregon. Does anyone expect Stanford to be near the team they were without Luck and Hargrove as coach? The southern division champ last year UCLA was what, 6-6 before the championship game?

We have FSU, Va. Tech and of course the mighty Clemson Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Along with that.

Jun 27, 2012, 12:29 AM

How long will historically weak programs like Oklahoma St., Baylor, and Kansas St. be able to stay at the level they have been the past few years.

Snynder has been the only guy that's brought relevance to

Jun 27, 2012, 12:46 AM

KSU, and as he's already retired once, he's really pushing the limits of how long he's going to be around there. Baylor's pot of gold is in DC now, and Tubberville will keep Texas Tech a few cupcake games over .500 at best. Will any Texas team anyway be able to keep up with UT and their ESPN-funded and pushed Longhorn Network? I just don't see it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We're right on the verge of passing the Pac-12 as well.

Jun 27, 2012, 8:08 AM [ in reply to We're right on the verge of passing the Pac-12 as well. ]

To be fair, the only reason UCLA was their division champ is because USC was ineligible. But yeah the rest of that division stunk.

Re: We're right on the verge of passing the Pac-12 as well.

Jun 27, 2012, 8:51 AM [ in reply to We're right on the verge of passing the Pac-12 as well. ]

Who is Hargrove?

Meant Harbaugh.***

Jun 27, 2012, 10:44 AM

That makes a lot of sense.

Jun 27, 2012, 12:23 AM [ in reply to Quite honestly, despite the way perceptions are now, ]

I believe that possibly may be but that doesn't answer for the difference in money between the SEC and ACC. It's also likely that the additional Big12 money will help shore up WVU, TCU and OSU enough to keep them competitive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the money was that much more I would certainly think

Jun 27, 2012, 12:48 AM

that would be a huge factor in making a move. However the big payday that some have speculated teams moving to the Big 12 would get has been nothing more than rumors. Most of the paid journalists who have pretty much stayed away from expansion rumors have downplayed the huge TV contract rumors and have also suggested that certain expenses and hidden payouts not talked about pretty much equalize everything. BOT members and Presidents from schools who have commented have alluded the same thing.

I've said before I'm not the type of person who makes decisions based on rumors in speculation. If concrete numbers came out that'd be one thing, but that's not going to happen. As of now I lean to the side of believing what is written and said by journalists and school representative over what is being put out by bloggers, but if the $ is in fact out there, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing heats up again.

Re: Quite honestly, despite the way perceptions are now,

Jun 27, 2012, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Quite honestly, despite the way perceptions are now, ]

come in out of that Vegas heat....its made you delusional

Would you care to elaborate or do you just like

Jun 27, 2012, 12:34 PM

to come on here and fail at trying to be funny?

All of the reasons for expansion are still there.

Jun 27, 2012, 12:01 AM

Barring an inside connection, there is no reason to think it's any more or less likely than it was a week or a month ago.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: All of the reasons for expansion are still there.

Jun 27, 2012, 12:04 AM

Exactly. Silence was a must from a legal standpoint. Or at least would be.

True, but I'm guessing it was and will be bs.***

Jun 27, 2012, 12:33 AM [ in reply to All of the reasons for expansion are still there. ]

Re: Why Big XII is still possible

Jun 27, 2012, 12:24 AM

I think we're staying in the ACC...I'm not even considering a move to the Big 12 as being in the cards anymore. I'd be shocked as hell if we do move

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic