Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1,288

Well...

Jul 11, 2017, 3:46 PM

I don't know how many of you saw Mumbette's son's obituary in the newspaper last week, but he died from an accidental drug overdose around noon on Sunday, July 2. (He was the Phish fan I mentioned awhile back.) He was only 30.

My son was living with him, but wasn't there that particular night, thank God. The really tough part about this is that he was very successful, an Area Comptroller with Republic Industries, and acquired his CPA upon graduation from Clemson; his sister was there that night, and she was the one who found him. Mumbette and I were coming come from a wedding in Birmingham, and received the call while going 80 mph on 285 in bumper-to-bumper traffic. That was definitely the worst two hours of car time I've ever had, with Mumbette alternately screaming-crying and frantically trying to reach his twin sister before she might hear it from someone else.

I had known that he used weed and alcohol regularly, and cocaine occasionally, based on what I heard from my son. He was recently separated from his wife, and they were in the process of getting a divorce and had sold their house. The sudden influx of cash may have precipitated the quick spiral of drug use that ensued. The grapevine has passed along the drugs he used during that preceding night included alcohol, weed, cocaine, snorted heroin, and Roxy's.

Mumbette has been devastated, as you might imagine. The funeral was this past Friday, and to top it all off, the entire week before and in the days just after the funeral, the daughter that found him wasn't coming home and was running with some of the crowd that brought this shid into the house in the first place. Consequently, Mumbette has not been able to relax enough to grieve normally for her dead son, and has been on pins and needles worrying about her safety.

We took her to the Charlotte airport last night to fly her to a rehab center in Florida that comes very highly recommended. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers only if you do it in earnest, because she needs a lot of help and I don't know if anything short of a miracle can get her head straightened out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

That's fuggin awful. So sorry to hear.

Jul 11, 2017, 3:50 PM

This sort of thing is becoming terribly common.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, it is.***

Jul 11, 2017, 3:56 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's getting people from all walks of life, too

Jul 11, 2017, 4:00 PM [ in reply to That's fuggin awful. So sorry to hear. ]

Crazy stuff, I hate that for y'all. Hopefully at the very least the daughter can get herself straightened out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen, brother.***

Jul 11, 2017, 4:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My greatest fear as a parent

Jul 11, 2017, 3:51 PM

is this happening to my kids.

Thoughts are with you. SO is the daughter on the hard stuff too ?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has to be on something stronger than weed

Jul 11, 2017, 3:53 PM

There is no weed rehab needed. Just stop doing it. Alcohol, nicotine, or other hard stuff, then yes. So I assume the answer is yes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

She's used weed, Xanax, and cocaine that I know of.

Jul 11, 2017, 3:53 PM [ in reply to My greatest fear as a parent ]

Although I hardly know what is considered hard stuff anymore.

well, there are only 2 kinds of withdrawal that can kill you

Jul 11, 2017, 5:00 PM

alcohol and benzo's. alcohol use is implied with this list and xanax fits the benzo bill

hopefully she doesn't relapse

Heard heroin is up there too.***

Jul 11, 2017, 7:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Normally just feel like you'd rather be dead.***

Jul 11, 2017, 8:07 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The withdrawal is bad, but won't physically KILL you.

Jul 12, 2017, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Heard heroin is up there too.*** ]

I've got a friend who has been shaking it for a couple of months. He said it's the worst thing that's ever happened. But the good news is that he isn't dead'd and not in jail. He actually seems like a totally different person in a good way. I had no idea he was on the horse. He never shot it and says that's probably what saved him. Told me a story of intentionally smoking a fentanyl patch with another guy. Woke up hours later and hadn't even moved. Too high to move and too asleep to enjoy it. Droogz are a helluva droog.

That really suxxors

Jul 11, 2017, 3:54 PM

Addiction is a hard thing to deal with.

Well...####***

Jul 11, 2017, 3:54 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We got the daughter to come in and submit to rehab by

Jul 11, 2017, 4:05 PM

taking her phone from her. It was like the only leverage over her that we had.

I'm sorry brother...

Jul 11, 2017, 4:23 PM

thank God you had that leverage to apply.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a guy i know couldn't get his son to wanna go

Jul 11, 2017, 4:57 PM

the son wound up at the house and dad said, "you try and get in and i am calling the cops" son tried to get in, cops called. a small bag of weed was found and a trip up the road for son.

his friends were there when he got out and he jumped in the car and they drove him to the rehab place in NC. He went happily with them

Yeah...that.

Jul 12, 2017, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Well...####*** ]

sorry to hear

That's terrible.***

Jul 11, 2017, 3:55 PM

so sad that stuff runs in my family too

Jul 11, 2017, 4:03 PM

got 1 nephew that's died twice
still alive but non functioning
got another nephew that died once
wife of cpr'd him back to life
he functions but is hopeless

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so sorry to hear about that. I haven't met Mumbette

Jul 11, 2017, 4:05 PM

but my thoughts are with her.

This will be a tough road for her to travel, glad a man of your statue is with her.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holy ####, that is awful.

Jul 11, 2017, 4:10 PM

Good thoughts and vibes to you and Mumbette. Nobody should have to bury a child.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry to hear, Ts and Ps***

Jul 11, 2017, 4:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Very sorry to hear.

Jul 11, 2017, 4:18 PM

If we can help out in any way, just say the word.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

really sorry***

Jul 11, 2017, 4:20 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

sorry to hear that.

Jul 11, 2017, 4:23 PM

when she is ready, sharing the story could help someone else.

Praying for relief

Jul 11, 2017, 4:25 PM

Horrible news. Hopefully rehab will help daughter. Best wishes.

Ditto...best to mumbette***

Jul 11, 2017, 4:58 PM

Sorry to hear, prayers for you all.

Jul 11, 2017, 4:26 PM

This youug man sounded a little like me, back when I was even 30. I'm very thankful heroin wasn't really a thing at that time. It's a shame to see what it has done.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry to hear, prayers for you all.

Jul 11, 2017, 5:59 PM

Same here. The opiates are a biiatch!

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

so sorry to hear. Prayers for all of you, hope the daughter

Jul 11, 2017, 5:00 PM

can get straightened out. I'm thinking she didn't mind going too much, I mean a phone is a big deal, but not like going to rehab.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very sorry to read that.

Jul 11, 2017, 5:03 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

dang, really sorry to hear that***

Jul 11, 2017, 5:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well...

Jul 11, 2017, 5:09 PM

Prayers my man. Lots of prayers coming your way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry main...***

Jul 11, 2017, 5:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

T's and P's

Jul 11, 2017, 5:20 PM

For all of you. Had a good friend's daughter pass away from fentanyl - this stuff is horrible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why anyone that does heroin now is playing...

Jul 11, 2017, 5:25 PM

Russian roulette.

it's no joke

Jul 11, 2017, 5:43 PM

DEA buddy has been saying it for years that it will be spreading to middle america and non-UDP white folks aren't going to know how to handle a drug epidemic thinking that only poors are druggies.

i think we can thank china on this one as well.

#### is the 1st thing that comes to mind. Hang in the.......

Jul 11, 2017, 5:34 PM

brother and be there for Mumbette as I know you will!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very sorry for your loss

Jul 11, 2017, 5:56 PM

The combination of uppers and downers has taken way too many prematurely

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

T's & P's my man, even though I don't know you.

Jul 11, 2017, 6:24 PM

I feel your pain, have also experienced some drug-related tragedy in my life. All you can do is be there and be strong for your lady. I hate it for her and for you.

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Condolences... thoughts & prayers with you and the family***

Jul 11, 2017, 7:55 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Terribly sorry for your loss...

Jul 11, 2017, 7:59 PM

there is really nothing else one can say when you see someone lose a child.

Mumbette and you and your family will be in my prayers.

Jul 11, 2017, 8:20 PM

Sorry to hear that. Just sent a prayer your way.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just saw this, and will definitely

Jul 11, 2017, 8:29 PM

keep you and the fam in our prayers.

I don't know many people these days who haven't been horribly impacted directly or indirectly by drugs, and I include my family in that statement too. I'm so sorry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2017, 9:02 PM

Sorry to hear that. He was a member of our church, but I didn't know him-it's a big church and there's a lot of people there I don't know. Hope his sister is able to get help.
It seems like a terrible epidemic that's came up quickly. There have been several local obituaries in the past few months of similar circumstances.
Again, sorry for your loss and especially for your wife's loss of her son.

Prayers***

Jul 11, 2017, 9:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry to hear that.

Jul 11, 2017, 11:15 PM

Thoughts and prayers to all of you.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is awful. Just plain awful. My thoughts to your family***

Jul 12, 2017, 1:02 AM

Dang, sorry to hear this.

Jul 12, 2017, 7:42 AM

You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Is this the youngest daughter? (Not sure how many kids Mumbette has but I know one was living with you guys.)

Yes, he died on July 2, and that is her birthday.

Jul 12, 2017, 7:55 AM

She's 19, and entering her second stint in rehab.

####!

Jul 12, 2017, 8:00 AM

Sorry brother.

Sorry bro

Jul 12, 2017, 9:22 AM

Thought and prayers your way.

That's absolutely awful to hear

Jul 12, 2017, 1:42 PM

and my worse nightmare as a parent. Strength to your wife and you to get through this awful time.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1,288
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic