Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wake Forest...good offense, but their D is a dumpster fire
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Wake Forest...good offense, but their D is a dumpster fire

Oct 2, 2018, 12:22 PM

Did some stat digging, as I like to do...and Wake Forest is interesting.

S&P+ (which gets increasingly more accurate as the season wears on, and we're getting to that point) is, uhm, not remotely high on the Deacs. They're ranked 73rd in the country by the Maff Super Geeks...err, sorry, Football Outsiders, who have always had one of the better triple-secret algorithms on the planet. (By way of comparison, the Brainiacs have us 2nd overall, just behind Bama. Bless you, Nerds! Bless you all!)

The Deacs can score points and move the ball, though. Their offense is actually Top-25, ranked 23rd overall at 487.7ypg. Clemson - again, which contrasts with the hand-wringing we're hearing - ranks seven spots higher, 16th overall, averaging 497.6ypg. The Deacs also score 38.2 points per game...which is actually two-tenths of a point better than Clemson (38.0ppg) who has shown a bad habit of moving the ball early without cashing in like we probably should be doing. We need to clean that up.

The big problem - and difference - is defense. Clemson is fourth overall in total D, allowing just 263.8ypg despite already facing three Top-50 offenses in Georgia Tech (41st), Syracuse (26th), and Texas A&M (13th.) Wake has faced just one decent offense thus far (Notre Dame, 47th overall at 442.4ypg) but still has somehow allowed a whopping 461.2 yards per game against...good for 111th overall out of 129 FCS squads.

Ouch.

The Deacs also allow 31.6 points per game, good for 95th overall. That ain't good either.

Even worse: every game they've played thus far except the opener at Tulane was at home.

Who to watch out for? It's pretty easy: WR Greg Dortch. He's already gotten 45 grabs for 555 yards and 5 TD's...which laps the next guy (Sage Surratt) who has just 19 catches for 280 and 1 TD. Dortch is also an electric return man who can score from anywhere on the field at any point. Give him a step and he's gone.

Freshman QB Sam Hartman has taken most every snap this year, completing 95-164 for 1185, 10 TD's, and 5 INT's...surprisingly, the guy who had some success against us last year, Kendall Hinton (who is very mobile) appears to have fallen to third on the Deacs depth chart. Hinton is went 14-30 for 203 and ran for another 92 on 24 scampers last year and drove us crazy with his ability to escape pressure...pocket QB's tend to die ugly against Clemson, so I still wonder if we'll see Hinton again. Hartmann can scamper a bit (he's got 208 yards on 59 carries) but he doesn't have the kind of wheels Hinton did.

Clemson needs to sit on Dortch, regardless. If Wake is going to have a prayer, Dortch is going to have to have some big plays and they're going to feed him.

We don't need to be fancy to move the ball and score points. We just need to be efficient and not totally blow it. Personally I'd totally let Etienne, Choice, and Feaster lead the way again, and keep things sweet and simple for Trevor Lawrence (or Chase Brice), and let 'em do their throwing against plus situations off play-action as much as possible, gain some confidence, and put the ball in our playmakers' hands as much as possible. I'm quite certain Elliott will likely see it the same way.

The goal, obviously, is that Lawrence comes out of this next game not just upright and vertical, but with a healthy dose of confidence and a sense of command of the offense before the Wolfpack roll into Death Valley after the bye. And this looks, on the face of it, for a good game for that. So we'll see....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wake's D is terrible against the vertical passing game...

Oct 2, 2018, 12:25 PM

their secondary gets beat over the top quite a bit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I'm hoping we don't have to punt much Saturday.

Oct 2, 2018, 12:28 PM

And kick the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs. Limit Dortch's touches.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Dortch is legit. I do think with the secondary being our weakness,

Oct 2, 2018, 12:29 PM

there's potential for quick slants or rollouts for deeper passes that will neutralize our stellar front 7 and give Wake a chance to exploit our secondary.
The D was really impressive in the second half against Syracuse, ad perhaps some of the kinks were worked out then.
I could see this game being a blowout or a track meet.. my guess, Clemson 38 Wake 24.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Dortch is legit. I do think with the secondary being our weakness,

Oct 2, 2018, 12:36 PM

Apparently Dortch went to the same HS as Simmons which I did not know till this week

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't wait to see all the idiot poasters

Oct 2, 2018, 12:31 PM

like GWPTiger® complain when ETN doesn't get the ball forty times.

SMDH

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

TL; DR***

Oct 2, 2018, 12:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I wouldn't go with any of that and

Oct 2, 2018, 12:38 PM

only believe what Walt Spatula says.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice summary - well done

Oct 2, 2018, 12:51 PM

On offense I'd love to see TL maximize what our offense is designed to do - spread the field and run the ball. If we can get them on their heels with some quick complete passes, I suspect ETN and Feaster will both be able to run for 100+. On D, just double up Dorkch and trust our front 4 to make trouble for the freshman Wake QB.

Yeah, it's a cliché, but the time has come to make a statement and show the rest of the country what this team can do when they hit on all cylinders. I'd love to see us hang half a hundred or more on the demon dorkchs.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic