Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Universities everywhere are having to make tough financial
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Universities everywhere are having to make tough financial

Sep 4, 2020, 9:34 AM

decisions, almost daily, due to Coronavirus lost income. Salaries are being cut, unpaid furlough days announced, open positions going unfilled.

The one thing you DON'T hear of is any school forcing kids off scholarship to free up money.

My question is, couldn't the schools use some of this huge untapped pool of money that all the Pay for Play Crusaders say is out there to sail through this?

Almost makes you think it doesn't exist, and that schools use athletic revenue to actually pay salaries, and sustain their core financial obligations. Strange to think that maybe schools are NOT taking unholy advantage of the student-athlete. Oh, My.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Universities everywhere are having to make tough financial

Sep 4, 2020, 10:05 AM

I have heard UNC may have to choose between wine and cheese this year. So tragic. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2020, 10:31 AM

While many will have to choose between Budweiser and Peanuts

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Peanuts belong in cold Are See Colas.

Sep 4, 2020, 10:36 AM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good. They’ve been gouging John Q public

Sep 4, 2020, 10:49 AM

For a couple of decades now

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2020, 12:24 PM

Athletic generated revenue does not go into the general coffers.

Much of the school financial items can be traced into a couple different spots.

First, Covid-related prep has cost a LOT of money. While there has been some effort to distribute various relief money, it generally has not been enough. Even then, it is reimbursed and you might not have a lot in case to begin with.

In many states, the support to a school is based on enrollment. Thus if a school sees a decline based on enrollment, they would receive less funding. Thus a school propping for 10,000 students only getting 8,000 students would result in a 20% loss. Still, the school had to plan and spend for 10,000 in their prep in july, etc. In some cases like my former school/employer their enrollment went up slightly as more kids "stayed home" that traditionally go to other universities as it was felt to be a "safer" choice. (aka a small school with 8,000 vs a large school with 25,000+)

Next, with tuition caps by various legislatures - tuition isn't what keeps a lot of the light going. Much of that is brought in by fees or housing/service revenue. Student fees have been a point of concern. Thus if a University took out a load to build a residence hall 3 years ago and needed an occupancy rate of 70-80% to cover, if their Covid occupancy rate is 50%, they are losing money. Worse, the University can't jut default. As a result, it has to pull in general revenue sources to bail out that loan. Worse, a lot of non-faculty (aka the staff doing the actual work) are funded via student fees. They are still state employees so it isn't like the school could just lay them off, as their salaries could/would be covered by general funds again. Think about this, when I was staff, I was both a fee-funded position but also marked as essential. See the enrollment/fee related budget issue? I would have been critical in my covid-response but my funding would be at risk. Thank gooodness I changed jobs into a more secure spot in Jan.

However, housing is easy, parking is harder. In my state, you can't use ANY tuition or state dollar to cover parking deck cost. It has to come from parking permit sales - only, no exceptions. If you also took out a loan to build a parking deck, expecting to sell 1000 $400 permits, ($400,000) and you only sell 250, where does that money come from? Can the state default? nope. Can you shuffle tuition/state funds? Nope. It comes from the quasi private "foundation" aka the Donor/advancement funds. Donors normally don't like funding parking decks, but the foundation does have X money aside for ANY budget shortfall.

Thus many schools are looking at a situation whereby their enrollment/state support goes down, the service/loan costs are requiring general/foundation dollars to cover basic debt burdens, and then higher cost. Keep in mind, those foundation/general funds normally go into other funding needs, such as renovation, land acquisition, and fronting the school money etc. Thus these funds are running out and some schools. Those funds often also cover athletics if they are behind... and most schools are as most schools are not nationally branded D1 schools.

If a school had a high debt burden from a major building campaign, etc then they are doubly in trouble.

Athletics can't cover that. Athletic "profits" is chump change

Sep 4, 2020, 2:24 PM

76er, I TUed you because i agree that the Dabo-makes-millions-as-a-modern-day-slaveowner crowd are idiots, but it's not as though that POTENTIAL income isn't out there for athletes.

If we are talking about NIL income, that will be coming from outside sources, not the schools, and that market doesn't exist until it gets created. But it will, because business owners are looking to use athletes to gain a competitive advantage.

But if you're talking about Contractor or Employee payments direct from schools that would essentially make these students professionals, I agree: only a tiny fraction of programs could pay that.

Once again, the talking heads are not interested in helping the majority of student-athletes. They keep looking to warp the entire system to benefit the top 1% in the most lucrative sports and programs.

Finding a way to write a check to every student-athlete? Wow. Can you imagine how much the fans and non-athletic students are going to have to pony up for that to happen?

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic