Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Times you guessed Clemson had hit its ceiling?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1

Times you guessed Clemson had hit its ceiling?

Apr 10, 2019, 8:32 AM

I've been a fanatic Clemson supporter for 50+ years. I've seen some long long low ebbs in our football program. My first 9 years of being a fan, we posted 8 losing seasons. I got the low point out of the way early. If I try to think of the most precise nadir of Clemson football it came on 11/22/1975 when I walked out of Carolina Stadium a 56-20 loser to South Carolina. But I've also seen a lot of what felt like high points for Clemson. Here are my own personal/Clemson high point markers.

12/29/1977....I'm walking out of the Gator Bowl, giddy over the fact the Tigers have just defeated Ohio State University to finish the year at 10-1. I was nearly positive we'd end up in the top ten. I thought, and remarked to my buddies, "Clemson football will never get any better than it is right now."

9/19/1981.....Leaving Death Valley a 13-3 winner over Georgia and Herschel Walker was a huge moment. The Dawgs were defending National Champs and were riding a 15 game winning streak. I thought I'd never see a bigger single win for The Tigers.

*****1/1/82....Tigers Beat Nebraska to win the first Natty. I'm not sure any time has ever really felt bigger in the moment than the first Natty. I thought that night and for many many many nights to come how lucky in life I had been to have my team with the National Championship.

*****1/9/17....Tigers win a squeaker over big bad Bama, in the last second to win our second Natty. We all go just crazy with joy. Can any moment in the future ever possible feel better than the instant Renfrow caught the pass and casually flipped the ball to the referee?

*****1/7/19....Clemson destroys Alabama. No one anywhere can ever again doubt Clemson is a blue blood of College Football. Our win was so complete, unchallenged, and so seemingly inevitable against the long time king of college football, the feeling was mostly just fully satisfying. There was no 'I can't believe it' moment. Most importantly for me, it never even once occurred to me that the win over Bama was likely to be the last Natty I'd see in my lifetime.

The change in perspective between that 1977 win over Ohio State and today feels very very rewarding.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Times you guessed Clemson had hit its ceiling?

Apr 10, 2019, 8:39 AM

Just haven't sensed that even once since Danny left. I've always felt that if anything (particularly during the Bowden years) we were perennial under-achievers.

Like Dabo says, "the best is yet to come".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 1
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic