Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Things I’m sick of hearing about- Expanded playoff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Things I’m sick of hearing about- Expanded playoff

Dec 13, 2018, 3:00 PM

Playoff was created so an undefeated team would never get left out of having a chance for a national championship. Example Auburn in 04 and Notre Dame this year. If you weren’t good enough to get in the top 4 you aren’t good enough to call yourself National Champion. Your fault. Shouldn’t have lost

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree!

Dec 13, 2018, 3:04 PM

Unless we end up consistently having 5 undefeated conference champions - and we won't - I don't see why people keep complaining about "only" 4 teams getting into the playoffs. Yes, there will always be debates about who should be 4 and who should be left out, but that will happen regardless of how many teams are in the playoffs. If we have 16 teams, people will whine and complain about who gets left out at 17.

I think the chances are very, very low that the best team will ever get left out of a 4 team playoff. Does anyone believe that the best team has gotten left out yet?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Re: I agree!

Dec 13, 2018, 3:30 PM

I like things the way they are now
No need to extend the season
Just win baby!

That simply isn't true.

Dec 13, 2018, 7:02 PM [ in reply to I agree! ]

People complain because there are no concrete rules. 13 people just decide based however they want.

Take the people out of it and no 1 can complain.

Trying to pick "the best " team to be national champio is the problem.

Ohio state "could" very well beat clemson, nd, Oklahoma, or bama...but we"ll never know.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

We’ll never know because Purdue smacked dat a$$!***

Dec 13, 2018, 8:37 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well never know never because 13 people decided

Dec 14, 2018, 10:05 AM

That Ohio state will not be the national champion.

Well never know if Oklahoma, clemson, or ND could beat UGa because 13 people decided that UGA will not be the national championship.

Well never know how well UCF could do because 13 people decided ucf could not be national champion.

I could go on for another 140+ div1 teams, but the constant would be.."13 people decided " only 4 teams could be the national champion...

Or I should say , the cfp national champion. Ucf could very well win another NC this year.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

+1***

Dec 13, 2018, 3:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Re: Things I’m sick of hearing about- Expanded playoff

Dec 13, 2018, 4:38 PM

It won't die because of Georgia. I've been pretty high on Georgia all year. Kirby Smart is a good coach and he's recruited as well as anyone in the country. But to imply, or in Herbstreet's case, boldly declare, that Georgia deserved to be in the playoffs is ridiculous! They had their chance at redemption when they got to play the #1 team in the country in the SECCG. They lost. That, combined with a loss to LSU, is proof positive they are not the best team in the country. As best I understand, the playoff system was put in place to determine that very issue; the best team in the country. So Georgia folks need to quit their whining and move on. Get better and try it again next year. You can't brag about "the mighty SEC" on the one hand and then complain about "the mighty SEC" on the other. You either want to be in the SEC or you don't. If you do, you understand you'll have to beat Alabama almost every year to make it to the playoffs. If that's unacceptable, get out of the Conference. Playoff expansion is not the solution. Football isn't like basketball, where a 64 team tournament makes sure everyone who has a prayer of making it gets in. Football takes a huge toll on the student athletes. For that reason, expanding the playoffs beyond 4 teams makes no sense. At this point, the 4 best teams are in and one of them will be National Champions for 2018. I happen to believe that'll be the Clemson Tigers. But if we get beat, there should be no whining or complaining. When the opportunity presents itself you must take advantage of it. Otherwise, you clearly are not the best team in the country. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2018, 4:51 PM

The regular season needs to matter. That’s what makes college football great. An expanded playoff will just turn it into the NFL.

It’s a shame I can only hand out one TU at a time.

Dec 13, 2018, 4:54 PM

I don’t know how many times I have to tell some people that it’s Georgia’s fault for losing not just once but twice. I honestly expected us to get left out of the playoff immediately following our losses the last two years and I would’ve accepted it because, you know, we lost. Fortunately for us others lost too but this year we probably would’ve been left out if we lost a regular season game and you know what? We would’ve had no one to blame but ourselves. An expanded playoff is bad for college football. It allows teams to lose more and personally I like the near perfection it takes from a win loss standpoint to win it all. It’s not about getting hot at the right time. It’s about consistency throughout the course of the season. It’s what makes CFB unique and a big part of what makes it great.

Besides which it doesn’t matter how much you expand it someone will always complain about getting left out. It will just be a supersized version of the same problem with a watered down path to the national championship.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have solid logic here

Dec 13, 2018, 5:03 PM

My only sticking point is the conference championship games. There is just no point to them if the playoff will only include 4 teams.

Then how do you determine conference champions

Dec 13, 2018, 5:17 PM

with the size of the conferences? The conference championship games in some cases helps whittle down the field of playoff contenders. That’s exactly what it did with the SECCG. Now we know that for a fact that UGA is no longer a contender. It’s not up for debate. They were eliminated. All this fuss for UGA or even OSU is ridiculous. Both teams suffered blowout losses. They are out of the NC picture for a good reason.

Re: Then how do you determine conference champions

Dec 13, 2018, 8:35 PM

My issue isn't with determining conference champions with a game, it's with the fact that there are teams from 5 major conferences and 1 independent team that have a realistic chance of making the playoffs. With 4 spots available, obviously someone is gonna get screwed. Also, there is a clear bias towards the SEC where it always has a chance to get 2 in. Then you have ND who will likely be in if they have a good season. Thankfully the ACC is thought of highly enough that the top team is usually in...imagine if we were in the PAC 12 or B1G.

In addition, most teams have more to lose by playing in a conference championship game then to gain with the exception of a couple of the top SEC teams. If we had lost to Pitt we would have been out, but a bama team that didn't even play in the conference championship game got in last year. Had UGA been 12-0 going into the SEC championship game this year, I can about guarantee you that they would be in over Oklahoma. Then of course you have ND sitting around twittling their thumbs and they are automatically in.

So my whole point here is that if there are 4 playoff spots something needs to be done to make the conference championship games mean more, and not allow a team to make the playoffs without playing in one.

A good start to solving this issue would be to make the power 5 conferences pit their 2 top teams against each other in the conference championship games regardless of divisions, and force ND to join a conference.

Re: Then how do you determine conference champions

Dec 13, 2018, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Then how do you determine conference champions ]

Agreeb100%

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

The SEC played only 6 conference games in the 80's with

Dec 13, 2018, 11:48 PM [ in reply to Then how do you determine conference champions ]

10 teams in the league, and probably long before that, and the Big 10 played 8 with 11 teams until they expanded for the CCG framework.

You don't have to play everyone in a league during the season to produce a regular season champ. If you go back through P5 league standings over the years it's easy to spot. There are plenty of tie-breaker scenarios, and if it's between two legit badasses, then the odd team out is likely in as a wild card.

The CCG's today, 5 games with 10 teams, are a hodgepodge of meaningful to meaningless. Just lose that round and replace it with 4 games and 8 teams - all meaningful as the winner advances and the loser heads to a NY6 game. The ND's of the world get their 13th data point like everybody else. Voila.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

An undefeated team did get left out.

Dec 13, 2018, 5:20 PM

Just sayin'. And you are assuming that the top 4 are indeed the best 4, or the 4 most deserving, and that may or may not be true. That is why we need, without question, a different system which would include an expanded playoff. Until then, the debate will continue, and it will not detract from my enjoyment of the sport one bit.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: An undefeated team did get left out.

Dec 13, 2018, 5:40 PM

You're a thunderstorm on his sunny parade.

I disagree!

Dec 13, 2018, 6:04 PM

h

As long as Clemson gets in every year and UGA gets left out,

Dec 13, 2018, 6:17 PM

They don't need to change a thing, the system is working just fine.

Dec 13, 2018, 6:22 PM

I think the committee got it right this year with the system we have but the system is incredibly flawed and needs to change....

The problem is you have teams playing schedules that don’t have the #1 team on it and multiple other top 15 teams like UGA did. I think it’s safe to say that they would have gone undefeated or had one loss at worst with any of Clemson, ND, Oklahoma, or Ohio St.’s schedule....

It’s funny how those of you who defend it contradict yourself. When talking about UGA it’s “just win your games”....when the convo switches to UCF it’s “schedule better opponents”....

How about we let all these teams in a playoff and just let them decide on the field?

Dec 13, 2018, 6:36 PM

Ugay tried to settle it on the field...And guess what, they lost 2 flippin’ games! As far as UCF, I’m ok with giving them a shot, but start scheduling power 5 OOC opponents.

Give it a rest. It’s been settled on the field for UGA.

Dec 13, 2018, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Things I’m sick of hearing about- Expanded playoff ]

UCF knows what they need to do as does every other nonP5 team. I think deep down inside they’re happy being listed as co champions with Bama without ever having to prove it.

Dec 13, 2018, 6:40 PM

Expansion introduces variables that turn the CFP into nothing more than a crap shoot; agree should be left at 4.

I'm sick of hearing the term "eye test." The "eye test" is all based on where a team starts in

Dec 13, 2018, 11:18 PM

The pre-season AP poll... which is based on last year's team. BUT they say last year's team has nothing to do with current year team... BS.... Do away with polls before mid October... Thats it...

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic