Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Still think DRad keeps Coach Brownell with an NIT bid.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Still think DRad keeps Coach Brownell with an NIT bid.

Feb 6, 2017, 3:54 PM

And the odds seem pretty good that we get in if we can win 4 more games to go 4-4 over our last 8 to get to 7-11 in the ACC and 17-13 overall.

He can point to the progress we have made to get to the NIT(maybe we win a game or two) and the 5 new players we will be adding next year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still think DRad keeps Coach Brownell with an NIT bid.

Feb 6, 2017, 3:56 PM

thats your 20k post! congrats! and i hope you're wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Plus it's common knowledge that it takes a good 8-10

Feb 6, 2017, 4:01 PM

years to get to the NCAA Tournament with your own players. Add in the big NIT run we made several years back and I'd say this team is right on schedule to finally be slightly better than mediocre on a consistent basis by the year 2020 or so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Plus it's common knowledge that it takes a good 8-10

Feb 6, 2017, 4:13 PM

I'm not confident we will make the NIT.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plus, I don't think DRad wants to be the guy that paid $3.5

Feb 6, 2017, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Plus it's common knowledge that it takes a good 8-10 ]

million to buy out a Coach that would have gotten Zion Williamson to come to Clemson.

Feb 6, 2017, 4:12 PM

:(

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quite frankly it would not surprise me purely based upon what others have said. First a $3.5 M buyout is not cheap, secondly CBB finally has a solid class of recruits and he led on LJC renovation. I would give him no more than one additional year to get into the NCAA tourney without any contract extension. Otherwise he would asked to resign within his contract.

This year thus far has been quite disappointing and he knows it, but he has character enough not to quit in the midst of what has transpired. His record could get him another high mid-level job, but he faces an uphill task at Clemson under current circumstances.

Go Tigers!

It's not character that keeps him from quitting, it's the

Feb 6, 2017, 5:30 PM

$3.5 Million he will forfeit if he quits.

That is a good point, but those numbers are usually

Feb 6, 2017, 7:51 PM

negotiated, I think. The question is, "How much will you pay me to resign?" Sometimes its not all that far off the buyout. Its not giving up 3.5, but maybe 1. But yes, you are right, it is a contract matter, not character. He should get paid for what he signed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he does...

Feb 6, 2017, 4:24 PM

that tells us all we need to know about the priority the Athletic Department places on mens hoops.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

This team won't make NIT. Will quit before then***

Feb 6, 2017, 5:08 PM

Feb 6, 2017, 5:55 PM

Just who is Clemson going to get? Clemson basketball is the polar opposite of football, commitment-wise. Tiger b'ball history is positively putrid, with just enough 'fools' gold' seasons to keep hope alive. Brownell could have done well for himself by bailing on Clemson a few years back, rather than compromise his reputation. He's seven years in and JUST NOW having facility upgrades. I'm sorry, but Clemson basketball lies at the feet of the administration, not with whomever is the coach. It's time to decide: is Clemson basketball a stepping-stone...or destination. It's never been a destination...the good ones all left of their own accord. That's not a positive.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What responsibility does a coach who makes $1.8 Million

Feb 6, 2017, 6:32 PM

per year have for the state of their basketball program? Why pay him so much if he has no responsibility?

How could Brownell have "done well for himself" by walking away from Clemson without his $3.5 Million dollar buyout? Shouldn't his "reputation" be a function of his performance in his chosen profession? What should we judge him on?

Re: What responsibility does a coach who makes $1.8 Million

Feb 6, 2017, 8:48 PM

I'm not defending Brownell. I am pointing out the failure on the program's fault to emphasize success in basketball. I've been around Tiger b'ball for over forty years...and the results are horrid. My point is, who will Clemson get and CONVINCE that the school is changing its stripes? The track record sucks, so....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are MANY High School coaches better than CBB

Feb 6, 2017, 10:13 PM

I dislike your losing mentality. If that's how you feel, we should spent the least amount of money on basketball possible. Instead, I'd rather find a coach who can actually win.

We're paying above average for a below average coach. Take a look here and you will see plenty of coaches who would join Clemson for the money we're paying

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

By the way, Brad is missing from this list since it was only coaches who made the tourny.

There are dozens up dozens of options.

Feb 6, 2017, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Still think DRad keeps Coach Brownell with an NIT bid. ]

We don't need Coach K or Bill Self. There are plenty of other possible options with young hungry protege assistant or some mid major coaches looking for more pay and upgrade of exposure.

Re: There are dozens up dozens of options.

Feb 6, 2017, 7:31 PM

If the dirtpeckers can find a coach that wins 20+ games, DRad should get his butt and checkbook in gear!!!

We are dying a death of a thousand cuts!!!!

It is very obvious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I feel a little better.

Agreed, but he must be a strong recruiter above all else.

Feb 6, 2017, 8:34 PM [ in reply to There are dozens up dozens of options. ]

A great X and O coach will fail miserably if he can't get better players. There are probably some pretty successful coaches at the mid-major level who just would not be able to recruit at this level. It's got to be somebody who not only has been a strong recruiter at the mid-major level, but who understands that strong recruiting will be the expectation at Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

What? You must be joking!!!! He should have already been

Feb 6, 2017, 7:46 PM

Replaced.

Feb 6, 2017, 8:16 PM

DRad is good with spending $$ on bricks and mortar.

Not sure he is very good at hiring and firing when it needs to be done.

He needs the "nads" to make a change.

Otherwise, I see him as riding the pine!

The improvements, athletically, we have seen are driven by Coach Dabo.

DRad is trying to enrich himself and his offspring IMHP.

Best is standard in football! No so much in "roundball."

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic