Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Democrats reportedly plan scorched-earth approach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Democrats reportedly plan scorched-earth approach

Jan 27, 2017, 7:52 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/27/democrats-reportedly-plan-scorched-earth-approach-to-fighting-trump.html

For the past two months, Democratic leaders have been reportedly discussing ways to approach the presidency of Donald Trump and have largely landed on a conclusion: fight him at every turn in a ‘not-now-not-ever’ opposition.

Bring it on.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like the Republicans the last 8 years.***

Jan 27, 2017, 7:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not really...Pubs did little to stop Obama policys

Jan 27, 2017, 7:57 AM

except Supreme Court

And lower courts

Jan 27, 2017, 9:28 AM

and political appointments.

Under the Republican leadership of the 114th Congress, the Senate has slowed the process of presidential appointments to an unprecedented trickle, a Vocativ analysis has found. In its final stretch, the Obama administration faces a logjam of 178 appointees awaiting confirmation. Forty-three of them, or nearly 25 percent, have been in a holding pattern for more than a year, including a half-dozen federal judicial nominees who, through March 16, have been on hold for 434 days. All told, the growing impasse has kept the president’s appointments waiting more than a combined 100 years to be confirmed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unless you count the 37 attempts to repeal the ACA.***

Jan 27, 2017, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Not really...Pubs did little to stop Obama policys ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

LOL, just kidding about 37.

Jan 27, 2017, 2:58 PM

It's 54.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/03/21/the-house-has-voted-54-times-in-four-years-on-obamacare-heres-the-full-list/?utm_term=.cf69e6e909f6

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

That's pretty silly

Jan 27, 2017, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Not really...Pubs did little to stop Obama policys ]

Republicans said some of the same things about stopping Obama's policies. In fact, they did everything they could do stop them, but there wasn't much they could do until 2010.

I do think the "not now, not ever" thing is pretty peculiar to Democrats. It's not enough for them that they consider a policy mistaken or wrong-headed, they also want to portray it as a terrible affront to justice and totally illegitimate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder where they got that idea.***

Jan 27, 2017, 7:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is what liberals do. Every time they are out of power.***

Jan 27, 2017, 7:58 AM

Ah. I understand, finally.

Jan 27, 2017, 8:00 AM

You're a troll.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are wrong.***

Jan 27, 2017, 8:05 AM

Re: You are wrong.***

Jan 27, 2017, 9:23 AM

The Republicans couldn't do anything 8 years ago because the Democrats had 60 votes in the Senate. As we saw over the last 6 years, it is an effective way to regain power in politics. It is a lot easier to say No than it is to present proposals on tough issues that large percentages of the population are going to disagree with.

Re: You are wrong.***

Jan 27, 2017, 9:25 AM

On the flip side, I do not think that Donald Trump has made any attempt (at least publicly and we would know about it based on the way he plays the media) to reach out to the Democratic Leadership in the Congress

you like when republicans confirmed

Jan 27, 2017, 9:28 AM [ in reply to I wonder where they got that idea.*** ]

Justice Ginsburg (96-3)? or Justice Breyer (87-9)? or Justice Kagan (63-37)? or Justice Sotomayor (68–31)?

or do you consider them, in the words of Chuck Schumer "mainstream"

[hint: anyone with any common sense knows these are liberal jurists]

Right now President Trump is likely to appoint Judge Neil Gorsuch of the US 10th Circuit Court of Appeals (who BTW was confirmed to the 10th Circuit by voice vote). He's no further right than Scalia was and he's no further right than Ginsburg is left.

BUT, you and I both know there is no way he gets more than 2 Democrat votes (and can you really call Sen. Joe Manchin a Democrat?)

I look forward to the Nuclear Option. I just wish we had a nuclear option for media which will NEVER report the above cited facts.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, and how they confirmed Merrick Garl -- oh wait.***

Jan 27, 2017, 10:06 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so that's the best defense you've got?

Jan 27, 2017, 10:48 AM

an election year appointment?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"an election year appointment"

Jan 27, 2017, 2:57 PM

You're a lawyer, CA. I know you know better.

- Jonathan Swift

I don't know if Republicans should go the Dem route...

Jan 27, 2017, 12:27 PM [ in reply to you like when republicans confirmed ]

but it is definitely annoying that Republicans sticking to tradition often means that Democrats, who have no scruples about tradition, will often take advantage of them. Only 4 Democrats voted for the highly qualified Samuel Alito, and he was confirmed by a margin of only 4 votes, the same margin by which Thomas was confirmed (and which was the narrowest margin in a century, at the time). Roberts had an absolutely sterling resume, but the Democrats still split on him and give him a relatively narrow margin, while his committee approval vote was 13-5.

It's absolutely undeniable that Democrats have treated SCOTUS nominations in a much more partisan fashion than have Republicans. The non-consideration of Garland could be Republicans getting into the Democrats' game, or it could just been what they said it was- leaving the seat temporarily open because it was an election year. At any rate, I'm not sure it would be a good thing if Republicans stopped considering judges on the basis of their qualifications and instead mainly considered them on the basis of their ideology.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fine. They won't see the White House again for decades.***

Jan 27, 2017, 9:26 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mean technically 2021 is next decade.***

Jan 27, 2017, 10:20 AM

decadeS. Plural. Not years. Dayum. Thought you was smart.***

Jan 27, 2017, 1:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well let me know the last time a political party held the WH

Jan 27, 2017, 10:08 PM

for decades.

That will depend on the economy.***

Jan 27, 2017, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Fine. They won't see the White House again for decades.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's half of what they have to do to take DC back.

Jan 27, 2017, 9:27 AM

Fighting a successful president with obstruction is only going to bear fruit in districts which congressmen reside if the districts are strictly liberal. If they are anywhere near balanced with a deciding portion of independents, it will fail.

Of course this depends on the success of the POTUS. Eventually, if Trump is successful at growing the economy without too much inflation he will win the support of the business community just as did Reagan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sooo.... you want Trump to be more like Obama

Jan 27, 2017, 11:51 AM

"Of course this depends on the success of the POTUS. Eventually, if Trump is successful at growing the economy without too much inflation he will win the support of the business community"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obama didn't grow the economy he subsidized it with Q3,2,3..

Jan 27, 2017, 3:13 PM

National debt total was over 9 trillion in the past 8 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Democrats reportedly plan scorched-earth approach

Jan 27, 2017, 10:15 AM

Sort of like "I hope he fails" and making it the top priority to make sure he's a one-term president?

Wait, that was the Pubs.

- Jonathan Swift

I though it was...

Jan 27, 2017, 10:26 AM

'We have to screw this guy because we're racist.'

Probably, but I didn't realize that was the actual quote.

Jan 27, 2017, 11:35 AM

Hahaha, we're having fun. But my previous post stands.

- Jonathan Swift

I'm enjoying it too.

Jan 27, 2017, 3:16 PM

I'll elaborate on my last post. Most liberals pay no attention to conservatives because the default response is always 'You're rassist.'

Re: I'm enjoying it too.

Jan 27, 2017, 9:14 PM

Agreed. Many liberals are dumb, much like many conservatives. Sad fact of life.

- Jonathan Swift

Re: Democrats reportedly plan scorched-earth approach***

Jan 27, 2017, 10:41 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same as the Repubs did for 8 years.

Jan 27, 2017, 9:04 PM

Sad that we have to continue with the same old nonsense.

The GOP literally did the exact same thing

Jan 27, 2017, 9:21 PM

when Obama took office. A meeting amongst the bigwigs and so on and so forth.....as its already been pointed out.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic