Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Teammates/Brotherhood/ Perseverance
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 729

Teammates/Brotherhood/ Perseverance

Nov 18, 2018, 12:28 AM

Some of you noticed the Marine with an eyepatch at the end of the broadcast tonight speaking with a Duke player. That Marine's name is Clebe McClary. 1st Lieutenant McClary, a SC native, was severely wounded during his 19th reconnaissance mission in Vietnam. He lost his left arm and his left eye during hand-to-hand combat deep in hostile territory. He was wounded when North Vietnamese soldiers lobbed grenades and satchel charges, and they used mortars and AK-47s to shoot at McClary's platoon. McClary was hit by several explosions, which tore his left eye and his arm from his body. When another grenade landed inside the platoon, 19 years old, Marine Pfc. Ralph Johnson (also from SC) displayed more selflessness and sacrifice than most people might learn in a lifetime. Johnson willingly threw himself onto a grenade to shield his fellow Marines from its impending blast. McClary and Johnson had bonded through their SC roots, but also through their love of sports. McClary had been a coach and Johnson loved sports, so they made time to go on a run or toss a ball back and forth whenever they could find gloves.
McClary has survived more than 40 surgeries and overcome the mental and emotional stress of losing an eye and arm during the attack in Vietnam. He came very close to dying. And at times, believed he’d have been better off if he had died. However, McClary found purpose in sharing the story of bravery and compassion that he saw in the jungle of Vietnam, speaking to various groups around the world. McClary has also been very instrumental in getting recognition for Pfc. Johnson and his act of selfless bravery.
I have heard him speak before and it is a pretty powerful story. I know that 1st Lieutenant McClary spoke to the Tigers earlier this week. I am sure that was a very valuable lesson in "We not me". Kudos to Dabo and his staff for continuing to mold our guys not only into better players, but also better men. On this Military Appreciation Night, I thank all servicemen and women for their sacrifices. Weather it be the loss of a limb or time away from their family they ALL have to give up something to keep us safe and maintain our freedoms. To me, that exemplifies "ALL-IN"
Go Tigers!

Image result for clebe mcclary

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 729
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic