Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are we in an experiment?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 377

Are we in an experiment?

May 6, 2020, 9:02 AM

I am starting to wonder if we are in an experiment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are we in an experiment?

May 6, 2020, 9:04 AM

Yes. End result imo is that we have to be willing to lose lives and we have to keep moving on like ants.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No

May 6, 2020, 9:04 AM

A simulation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Re: No

May 6, 2020, 9:56 AM

A stimulation

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

The Matrix***

May 6, 2020, 9:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Take the blue pill

May 6, 2020, 9:58 AM

and you can finally put it in her rabbit hole.

Ignorance is bliss.

May 6, 2020, 10:13 AM

Best line in the movie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sort of, but not really.

May 6, 2020, 10:13 AM

We already know how this generally goes, overall. The trend is consistent, and has been for thousands of years. The experiment part of it is to see how we manage it. We are much more connected and knowledgeable now than 100 years ago. As such, we have access to science at and above levels leaders did 100 years ago, unfiltered. So you have science directly impacting people, whereas in the past, the leaders ran the response.

100 years ago you had leaders declaring the pandemic over as cases declined. People went back to work, and it then got much worse. Today you have scientists saying there has been no significant decline but we have controlled it (at great economic cost), and as we go back to work it will get worse. Then you still have leaders saying there's nothing to worry about. The experiment is to figure out how much MORE we can function and work while keeping medical care available.

The Spanish flu wasn't Spanish. Americans suffered as much or more than any other country on Earth back then. We were #1 in 1918. We're #1 today. But overall, our response to this has been much stronger than 1918. In 1918, people got their news from leaders, mostly local, and news was sparse, and people were not connected like today. As such, our leaders knew more going in, and people knew less going in. And we responded at a weaker level because news was controlled and we were not connected like today. At no time in 1918 was there any discussion of partially reopening quarantines to allow some work, while making sure there was no second wave. The "news" back then was it's over, go back to work, reopen 100%, and it roared back, worse in most places. Our leaders (Trump included) don't have that luxury today. People are more connected. People know history far better. Scientists know pandemics far better. But the issues are still very much the same. The process of dealing with this is very much the same. The problems both economically and politically are much the same.

The experiment is in our management of things. We know we can control it, but we also know we can't cause cases to decline significantly or to stop. We know it's worse than the 1918 flu in terms of infectiousness. We are still arguing about the deadliness of it though. But we also know we can function more economically than we are now and still minimize deaths. But history has also shown us that leaders, when confronted with bad news, tend to fall into two camps. Those who ignore it, minimize it, and carry on, and those who acknowledge it, and figure out how best to deal with it. Trump is in the first camp, Como in NY is in the second category. Our aversion to masks will cost our economy trillions, and countless thousands of lives. That's one example of an area where economic output could be increased, while infections could be managed. If you wear a standard surgical mask, you cut your exposure by up to 50%. If everyone else wears a surgical mask, they cut their emissions by 50%. That's 50% more GDP, 50% more productivity. 50% more labor, 50% more money earned. 50% less jobs lost. Everyone wears a mask you combine the benefits, and MUCH of "normal" work can get done. Stop hand shakes. Keep 6 feet apart. No large events or crowds in enclosed spaces. All things that help. Testing helps. Contact investigations help. The leaders in the deal with it best camp should make every effort to combine all possible measures. The leaders in the denial/ignore it camp, just want to let it burn and carry on as normal. We say masks don't help, and have for many, many years. Why? Because we also know there's no money to be made (normally) manufacturing masks. We long ago farmed that cheap labor off to poor countries. So when this happens, those poor countries have masks, and the infrastructure to make them, and we have a shortage and no way to make more easily. So the best way to handle that is to say they're worthless. We have medicine shortages now because much of our cheaper and more common medicines are made overseas. We only make/create the profitable medicines that the most people can take daily. Which is why there are more antibiotic-resistant bacteria now. We stopped making new antibiotics because they're not a money maker like statin drugs, etc. So we stopped funding research into new antibiotics. History will show many of the things we take for granted, that have made us the wealthiest country on Earth, also have made us vulnerable in many ways to what we're faced with now. Plenty of ammo for the denial/ignore camp of leaders to use to deny and/or ignore.

So yes, we're in an experiment, but overall the story, the lines, the battles, the politics, and the responses are predictable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holy wall of text

May 6, 2020, 10:15 AM

Bored today, Tiggity®?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah. Wanted to put yall to sleep.***

May 6, 2020, 10:20 AM

I think the one thing our country is lacking is large

May 6, 2020, 10:24 AM

predatory animals in the wild like tigers and lions. I think people are too safe in this country, gives them too much time to whine about inconsequential ####.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yo mane, you forget about bears?

May 6, 2020, 10:41 AM

they could likely #### up either a lion or a tiger

If they'd get their lazy ##### out of the mountains and

May 6, 2020, 10:43 AM

woods they might be enough. But all they want to do is sleep all the time and occasionally wander into populated areas.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like a pretty good life.

May 6, 2020, 11:04 AM

Apparently the beaches near Apalachicola also have bear "problems"

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope they do, I fear that area is primed for a Tom Winkopp

May 6, 2020, 11:10 AM

to come in and #### it all up.

I bet Tom has a very attractive wife who's closet space is

May 6, 2020, 11:12 AM

yuge. And then he came in and took it all from her.

Built a condo in there

May 6, 2020, 11:18 AM

"I can sell this as a tiny space, tailored to the needs of the modern student"

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He'd probably sublet his wife's closet space to Cartels

May 6, 2020, 11:22 AM [ in reply to I bet Tom has a very attractive wife who's closet space is ]

to house human trafficking victims if the payday was good enough.

Probably, we've got some friends down there.

May 6, 2020, 11:16 AM [ in reply to I hope they do, I fear that area is primed for a Tom Winkopp ]

If I made about $100k a year in mostly passive income I'd go help the guy at Oyster City brewing and be a general bum.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Port St. Joe is about to get "progress", I think

May 6, 2020, 11:21 AM

You could go help the guy at Skully's, he seems to just chill out, play guitar, drink a few beers, and sell fresh 'low country boil'.

We're looking at going down in August, but they've hiked rental prices up pretty high this year, I guess to make up for lost revenue.

Holy crap!

May 6, 2020, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Yo mane, you forget about bears? ]

How could you lob this theory out so nonchalantly? You don’t even have a shred of evidence to support your theory.

Yes a bear could #### up a lion. But a Tiger? No ####### way! Only thing that could beat a Tiger... is a Tiger!

dood I think I watched an episode of those animal fight

May 6, 2020, 11:23 AM

simulators on the history channel or whatever it was about this. I was in college and high AF. The bear won.

I think it beat a shark too.

Beat a shark?

May 6, 2020, 11:28 AM

The bear would just float on top of the water while the shark nibbled all his bits off. Bear loses. Flawless Victory!

what if it was on land?***

May 6, 2020, 11:31 AM

I could beat a shark on land.

May 6, 2020, 11:33 AM

And a Girl Scout could beat me on land. (No CS02)

Re: I think the one thing our country is lacking is large

May 6, 2020, 10:45 AM [ in reply to I think the one thing our country is lacking is large ]

How is MauldinT® suppose to conduct a tournament when you keep adding teams to it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

We're in a culling. Mother Nature (and China) are cruel AF.***

May 6, 2020, 10:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 377
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic