Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So help a brother out
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

So help a brother out

Jan 6, 2020, 10:06 PM

Trump has a history of lying. We know this. Even his ardent supporters here admit he lies about stuff and defend it with, "So what? Everyone in DC lies. Every president lies." He lies about his rally attendance numbers. He lies about things big and small. This isn't disputed.

He's told us for years to not trust our intelligence community. They've been painted as some sort of "deep state" conspirators. He's even said he trusts and believes Putin, a former KGB agent, more than our intelligence community by stating he didn't think Russia interfered with our election... because Putin told him so. Remember that speech?

Back in 2011, Trump said (quoted exactly word for word, you can find the video if you like): "Our president will start a war with Iran because he has absolutely no ability to negotiate. He’s weak and he’s ineffective. So the only way he figures that he’s going to get reelected — and as sure as you’re sitting there — is to start a war with Iran."

So, help me understand this. Now, with his approval numbers still sitting firmly as the worst in U.S. history and an election approaching, Trump assassinates one of Iran's top officials, tells them he has 52 sites ready to be smote if they respond, and says he did it because Soleimani was about to carry out an attack which he learned of from the "best intelligence in the world" (he said this in his speech after the assassination).

And... we're supposed to believe it's all legit?

Are we going to send our soldiers to die for that?

Y'all break those items down for me. No red herrings.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

No, it is true, Americans are now safer. It’s true.

Jan 6, 2020, 10:56 PM

We are safer, but we just need to evacuate.

See how that works.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So help a brother out

Jan 6, 2020, 11:23 PM

It's simple. If you watch Fox News, his actions are perfectly legitimate and he's saving the country.

If you watch any of hundreds of outlets not called Fox News, the man is a menace and a legitimate threat to our national security.

Targeting 'cultural sites' is actually a violation of international law. Much like the Taliban destroying 800 year old Buddha statues in Afghanistan to Isis destroying 2000 year old edifices in Palmyra.

Trump's an idiot. Unfortunately, some Trump supporters think you mean their idiots for supporting him. It's very personal to them. Very strange.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your last two lines...

Jan 7, 2020, 8:12 AM

That's what I really haven't gotten out of this presidency. I've never seen such a group of people take it so personally and get so angry when you criticize this man.

That makes him, and them, especially dangerous to America.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

That’s unfair, bordering on disingenuous.

Jan 7, 2020, 8:25 AM

We began the election with the Dem candidate calling Trump supporters deplorable. Since then they’ve been painted as racists, fascists, etc. Even you make a monthly post with something like “if you don’t call out Trump in this thread you’re a _________”

I really wish the criticism had remained at Trump’s level. I’m not sure I’ve seen a group of voters quite so criticized and villainized in my lifetime, to the point that many won’t admit their support in polite company, out of fear of ostracization and retaliation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry but what Trump supporters stand for and defend allow

Jan 7, 2020, 8:30 AM

themselves to be ostracized.

I like your funny words magic man

that’s the problem.

Jan 7, 2020, 8:35 AM

You have no clue “what they stand for” nor have you tried to learn. It’s just an oversimplified stereotype.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I go off of what Trumpies post on their social media accounts

Jan 7, 2020, 8:37 AM

and the lack of any other Trump supporters calling out their xenophobia, racism, and straight disinformation. That's what I'm basing my view of Trump supporters on.

Is that not an accurate portrait of their beliefs?

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

Re: I go off of what people post on their social media accounts

Jan 7, 2020, 8:38 AM

The left has found their new boogeyman....and it’s the right.

Re: that’s the problem.

Jan 7, 2020, 8:55 AM [ in reply to that’s the problem. ]

Some of them have made it very clear on this board what they stand for.

Some, if you recall, have called for civil war.

I'm guessing 'some,' means more than one.

Jan 7, 2020, 5:48 PM

Since I've been here I've seen no one call for civil war.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm guessing 'some,' means more than one.

Jan 7, 2020, 6:54 PM

Chesty and APM have openly called for it. A few others have hinted. You even vaguely suggested it one time.

Re: That’s unfair, bordering on disingenuous.

Jan 7, 2020, 8:52 AM [ in reply to That’s unfair, bordering on disingenuous. ]

It certainly is not. I've never seen such anger coming out of a group of presidential supporters. And I've yet to meet a Trump supporter in person who isn't quite open about it.

I'll give you that there was much unfair criticism during and after the election for those who voted for him since many held their noses and voted against Hillary.

But those who cling to him and adore him now, the ones who think he's the greatest president we've ever had and those who think he's accomplished more than any president in history (yes, I've heard em say it), those are the people I'm talking about. And yes, those people are dangerous to America.

I think I've made a very clear distinction between those who simply voted for Trump and those who think he's the second coming.

And no, I don't believe that's been the premise of any of my posts "monthly". But feel free to link one that says exactly what you claim I said.

That's a very clear distiction that needs to be made

Jan 7, 2020, 9:00 AM

which I do a very poor job of.

There are Trump voters: Those that voted for Trump in spite of Hillary

And there are Trump clingers: Those like you said actually cheer on this type of leadership.

I didn’t overgeneralize about your “monthly” posts

Jan 7, 2020, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: That’s unfair, bordering on disingenuous. ]

Than you did about Trump supporters.

You must hang around a different crowd than I do. I’m generally surrounded by conservatives here in suburban middle TN, and most people are happy with the results they’re seeing in their personal lives from the administration. At the same time, they would rather fall over dead than to have their kids grow up to be like Trump. I don’t encounter this mass of fawning lemmings that you seem to.

Come to my town. You'll see it then***

Jan 7, 2020, 9:02 AM

you live in a town where the president of the ACLU

Jan 7, 2020, 9:10 AM

Has a sheet in his closet that smells like a campfire. It’s not an accurate sample of society at large.

Don't you live in Lake City?

Jan 7, 2020, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Come to my town. You'll see it then*** ]

I mean, people in Florence don't like to be compared to people from Lake City.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HOW DARE YOU***

Jan 7, 2020, 9:12 AM

Re: Don't you live in Lake City?

Jan 7, 2020, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Don't you live in Lake City? ]

That sounds like how Spartanburg feels about Gaffney. Both are trash but Spartanburg is a little more bougie trash.

Re: I didn’t overgeneralize about your “monthly” posts

Jan 7, 2020, 9:20 AM [ in reply to I didn’t overgeneralize about your “monthly” posts ]

Maybe I've just found that magical pocket of Trumpies in the Charleston area, and maybe I'm still seeing too many Facebook posts from back in the Upstate.

Why is the deplorables comment so bad

Jan 7, 2020, 10:19 AM [ in reply to That’s unfair, bordering on disingenuous. ]

when Trump calls people names daily?

I've never understood that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because they are snowflakes***

Jan 7, 2020, 10:21 AM

Logically that's a non-sequitur.

Jan 7, 2020, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Why is the deplorables comment so bad ]

They can actually both be bad, and they are.

That's exactly what I'm saying.***

Jan 7, 2020, 12:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That’s unfair, bordering on disingenuous.

Jan 7, 2020, 5:45 PM [ in reply to That’s unfair, bordering on disingenuous. ]

Either side can get out of control, Obed. Radical leftists tore up Europe in the '70's - the Baader-Meinhof gang, the Red Army Faction, the Red Brigades. They thought nothing of capping a guy just because he was rich, even kidnapped, killed, and then left former Italian Prime Minister Aldo Moro in his trunk in '78. It's also worth noting that history's champion genocide was actually Stalin, not Hitler, dispensing of nearly 30 million dissidents in an insane application of political orthodoxy. Hitler - a far-right-winger - only killed 6 million Jews in comparison.

Right now the right is getting out of control in America, though...and the silence of those who know better - which should include you, honestly - makes you complicit. Sorry. The derps I can almost excuse...but you aren't a derp.

But business is obviously great for you, so in for a penny, in for a pound, right? So don't whine about being ostracized when you persist in defending (or at least turning a blind eye) to what is increasingly indefensible.

Anybody who knows me knows I'm hardly crazy about liberals, but the current GOP has also seemingly forgotten lesson #1 about politics - politics is supposed to be about compromise, the art of the possible. It's not a team sport, and "winning" isn't really the goal. "Winning" when you completely alienate 55%+ of the electorate isn't a victory, it's a power grab...and those are always destructive and never turn out well in the long run.

Listen brother, we have been bouncing from one

Jan 7, 2020, 12:13 AM

foreign policy blunder to the next since when, Vietnam? Why should we change course on the stupid now?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For three years there you were positive that our...

Jan 7, 2020, 6:54 AM

intelligence community had discovered Trump had conspired with Russia to hack the 2016 election and therefore should be removed from office.

What makes you think we need to invade Iran or that destruction of Iran is a possible goal. The goal is to deter Iran's terrorist activities. That starts at the top and Iran's leaders know their names are at the top of our chitlist.

We deployed 6 B52s to an island base in the Indian Ocean and 52 6th gen fighters took flight yesterday on US soil. Reportedly they can strike any target on earth from any base on earth. We have enough firepower in the Gulf to complete level Iran and you're thinking we want to do what?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For three years there you were positive that our...

Jan 7, 2020, 8:17 AM

For three years there you were positive that our intelligence community had discovered Trump had conspired with Russia to hack the 2016 election and therefore should be removed from office.

Uh, no, I said repeatedly that I didn't know if he did or not but that the investigation needed to be held for the good of America. And I said if he was found not guilty, then we should move on. And I held to that when he was.

Russia DID interfere our election, Trump was the man they wanted (Putin said so), and the intelligence community got it right. And Trump was found not guilty but not exonerated.

What makes you think we need to invade Iran or that destruction of Iran is a possible goal. The goal is to deter Iran's terrorist activities. That starts at the top and Iran's leaders know their names are at the top of our chitlist.

We don't. It shouldn't be the goal. But when has that stopped previous presidents from doing the same? We didn't need to invade Iraq in 2003, did we? Now we have a president who is dumber and more desperate than any before him.

We deployed 6 B52s to an island base in the Indian Ocean and 52 6th gen fighters took flight yesterday on US soil. Reportedly they can strike any target on earth from any base on earth. We have enough firepower in the Gulf to complete level Iran and you're thinking we want to do what?

You're dodging my question. I'm asking why we're supposed to believe Trump in this whole mess.

Jan 7, 2020, 8:47 AM

"Russia DID interfere our election, Trump was the man they wanted (Putin said so), and the intelligence community got it right. And Trump was found not guilty but not exonerated."

Now you're taking Putin's word? lutz Trump imposed serious sanctions on Russia for the hacking. He brought our nation to a net exporter of petro last month which limits the price Russia can get for its most profitable export, oil.

Trump sold weapons to Ukraine to allow them to defend itself against Russian aggression. Trump just took out Putin's brownie buddy and favorite Iranian.

"We don't. It shouldn't be the goal. But when has that stopped previous presidents from doing the same? We didn't need to invade Iraq in 2003, did we? Now we have a president who is dumber and more desperate than any before him."

Every policy in the middle east for 50+ years has failed. We installed the Shah of Iran and how did that turn out? We put Saddam in power, that worked out well, then we took him out, that worked out even better, right? We trained and armed Afghanistan to fight Russia. 18 years later we're trying to figure out why.

All those men we elected to direct our foreign policy in the middle east did so well. Which previous policy would you suggest for Iran 50 years of terrorism across the globe?

Why believe Trump is doing what's right with Iran? Because he has kept more campaign promises than any president in my lifetime.

Jan 7, 2020, 9:16 AM

1. Slaps on the wrist, and Trump himself said he didn't believe Russia interfered. Do I really have to post quotes?

2. Ukraine? Yeah, he sold them the weapons... after a little quid pro quo.

3. Yep, you're right, they have failed. And we continue to be obsessed over there for oil. Let's be honest. So why not get the hell out of there? After all this time in the Middle East, for the sake of oil, we have dead Americans, even more dead Middle Eastern civilians, and a bunch of radicals who hate us more and more. And I'm certainly not putting that blame on Trump.

4. Trump has not kept more campaign promises than any president in your lifetime. That's a lie he and fringe right-wing media have told you without proof.

Jan 7, 2020, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Re: For three years there you were positive that our... ]

1. Slaps on the wrist, and Trump himself said he didn't believe Russia interfered. Do I really have to post quotes?

2. Ukraine? Yeah, he sold them the weapons... after a little quid pro quo.

3. Yep, you're right, they have failed. And we continue to be obsessed over there for oil. Let's be honest. So why not get the hell out of there? After all this time in the Middle East, for the sake of oil, we have dead Americans, even more dead Middle Eastern civilians, and a bunch of radicals who hate us more and more. And I'm certainly not putting that blame on Trump.

4. Trump has not kept more campaign promises than any president in your lifetime. That's a lie he and fringe right-wing media have told you without proof.

Apologies for the double post.***

Jan 7, 2020, 9:19 AM

Finish the impeachment process...

Jan 7, 2020, 8:00 AM

since the evidence is so strong

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Red herring. Answer the question.***

Jan 7, 2020, 8:18 AM

I don’t have an answer to opinions...

Jan 7, 2020, 8:27 AM

You have your right to them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don’t have an answer to opinions...

Jan 7, 2020, 8:49 AM

Sorry buddy, but Trump's own quotes and his blatant lies are not an opinion. Again, I ask, given his past statements and his past lies, how are we supposed to trust him on this issue?

The same way he's been saying the

Jan 7, 2020, 8:52 AM

Intelligence community can't be trusted and is corrupt and anti-Trump, but now they can absolutely be trusted when he gets to kill somebody in a drone strike to take away focus on his impeachment.

You were sure they were right about Russia/Trump collusion..

Jan 7, 2020, 9:27 AM

and fixing the 2016 election for three years and now you're claiming they can't be trusted? It's called politics and it's fun.

You have a short memory

Jan 7, 2020, 9:34 AM

I made it very clear back then that it was suspicious and that the investigation needed to happen, but I didn't know for sure what happened.

And no one said Russia "fixed" the election. Our intelligence community proved they interfered and hacked systems during our election. This is a fact.

I noted that and the response wasn't to you, Cat.***

Jan 7, 2020, 9:54 AM

Oops.

Jan 7, 2020, 3:17 PM

I'm message board failing today. Sorry.

I don't believe the argument here is that the intelligence

Jan 7, 2020, 9:35 AM [ in reply to You were sure they were right about Russia/Trump collusion.. ]

community can't be trusted regarding Iran. I believe the argument is that Trump and the administration can't be trusted in what they say about the intelligence.

The drone strike being...

Jan 7, 2020, 10:01 AM

a surgical strike implies both the military and intelligence agencies proposed and coordinated that as a prospective strike.

I think there's a reuters article circulating which indicates that dead terrorist was coordinating some really nefarious actions against our citizens, troops and diplomats. I do not believe him being in Baghdad at the same time our embassy was attack is coincidental either.

I'm not arguing either way.

Jan 7, 2020, 10:13 AM

I've already said that none of us are in position to know and that I hope/assume that there was appropriate consultation in advance.

I'm more concerned about having a coherent strategy

Jan 7, 2020, 10:16 AM

moving forward. Not sure that Trump or his predecessors have been known for coherent strategies.

I'm not sure there is a successful strategy in that region.

Jan 7, 2020, 10:22 AM

It seems that most of our actions in the middle east are right until they mature. Somehow there is no way to predict other than to say the middle east is unpredictable.

I know only that I do not want a nation lead by radical muslim terrorist to have nuclear weapons.

Do people really think that Trump is just sitting

Jan 7, 2020, 1:19 PM [ in reply to I don't believe the argument here is that the intelligence ]

in a room by himself with a red phone telling people to shoot rockets?

GO TIGERS!!

He has made decisions that the pentagon has found

Jan 7, 2020, 1:28 PM

out about via Twitter. And has said that he knows more than the generals. So a bit of skepticism is warranted.

Put on your tin foil deflector beanie for a second.

Jan 7, 2020, 9:38 AM

Imagine this:

Trump was fed bad intel on purpose by the deep state so he would launch this attack and start a war.

There are nuts out there.

I think Trump trusts military intel over CIA intel. And give Reuters credit for actually doing some legwork:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-security-soleimani-insight-idUSKBN1Z301Z

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think your questions are valid....

Jan 7, 2020, 10:31 AM

because we have a POTUS that has lied so much, says SO MANY stupid things, and is politically undisciplined. The result is a valid distrust of anything he says or does. He has brought this on himself in general and it has been amplified by an overly-willing press.

With all of that said, it doesn't automatically mean that anything Trump does is wrong...sadly, we just have to be more cynical than normal.

My personal opinion is that I can give Trump the benefit of the doubt on this one. It seems clear that he was advised by military leadership to take Suleimani out. I don't hear many making the case that the hit wasn't "justified". The real question is what it advisable at this time and place.

I'm thinking "yes" to that question right now, but only history will be the judge of that.

Also, I don't believe the term assassination is proper here. Assassination means the murder of a prominent person for some kind of gain (political, payback, etc...). Murder is an "unlawful" killing. The pronouncement of this action as "unlawful" is not proper at this time. If Suleimani killed Americans and/or was plotting an imminent attack, his killing was not automatically unlawful under international or US law.

Yes, Trump is a lying bastige. That said...

Jan 7, 2020, 1:23 PM

When he viewed the Intelligence Community as "out to get him" - he said they sucked. When he needs them to boost his own credibility, he says they are awesome.

I think the "52 sites" statements ARE Trump negotiating with Iran. The US is not going to bomb 52 sites (including cultural sites), but Trump needs them to believe we will...

It's a dangerous game - the Reuters article lends credence to the decision to eliminate the Iranian General.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I find it odd what you believe he says, and what you don't

Jan 7, 2020, 3:34 PM

believe.

Liars lie; thats what they do.

Why do you believe him when he says he trusts Putin, but don't believe when he says anything else?

Re: I find it odd what you believe he says, and what you don't

Jan 7, 2020, 4:33 PM

Because generally his lies can be proven lies, and his adoration for Vladmir Putin is pretty evident.

Care to answer the question?

So basically you think everything he says is a lie

Jan 7, 2020, 5:23 PM

unless you don't agree with it being a lie.

So to answer your question, it's whatever you want it to be.

That's not what I said.

Jan 7, 2020, 5:36 PM

And you know that's what I said. Straw man.

My point is that he has been busted lying so much over issues great and small, how are we supposed to believe anything he says over Iran? Especially given his past statements as I laid out in my post (which you are ignoring because you can't address them and you know you can't address them).

Pretend he's your neighbor. Pretend you have garage beers with him and the boys on the street. Pretend you've caught this neighbor in tons of lies, from lying about women he's been with to lying about where he's been on vacation.

Now pretend he starts telling you a big story about a fight he got in with another neighbor and asks you to get his back and trust him. How much are you going to believe him?

Isn't that the same as what I just asked you?

Jan 8, 2020, 11:39 AM

If he's a liar, he's a liar. I wouldn't believe anything he says.

If he says "he trusts and believes Putin, a former KGB agent, more than our intelligence community by stating he didn't think Russia interfered with our election... because Putin told him so", I wouldn't believe that either.

Why do you? What do you pick to be truth or lies? Apparently, a lie is whatever YOU want to be a lie.

So if that's true, and it sounds like it is from everything you've said, the answer to your question is exactly what I said--whatever you want it to be.

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic