Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This NCAA dicision infuriates me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 87
| visibility 1

This NCAA dicision infuriates me

Jul 23, 2012, 11:13 AM

it hurts millions of people....this affects a great deal. Football paid for many things. Who do you think is going to pickup the bill? Tax payers. How would you like it if you were told your jobs sucks now, you're not going to move up any more, but hey, it's ok, you're free to move across the country and try to work your way up from the bottom at another establishment? How about the faculty and staff who will be laid off due to loss of revenue and budget cuts? The students who had nothing to do with it who lose their college atmosphere that they chose? The fans, the alum? why did all these people need to suffer because 4 men were disgusting idiots?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just wonder what these jokers thought

Jul 23, 2012, 11:18 AM

just let him go and he will ner be caught. if they have just addressed it up front they'd be past it and it would be a blip on the screen. cover up is always what makes anything worse . though in this case the basic crimes were bad enough.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In a perfect world.......

Jul 23, 2012, 11:18 AM

the NCAA wouldn't have had to step in and levy sanctions.....as soon as Sandusky's court case was over and the Freeh report was delivered, the State of Pennsylvania should've closed down PennSt football for a year (or possibly more)---essentially delivering their own death penalty. After all, its the state of Pennsylvania who'll have to foot the bill for all the civil suits that have been filed. Pennsylvania's legislature missed an opportunity to do the right thing. IMO

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In a perfect world.......

Jul 23, 2012, 11:22 AM

and that still punishes everyone not involved....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's Life

Jul 23, 2012, 1:16 PM

when any stupid idiot goes to prison or worse is shot some where doing crime, many, many people suffer the consequences. Family, friends, etc. The Sandusky crimes were beyond hienious, and the cover-up by PSU athorities even more so. They enabled more abuse to continue.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When it comes to NCAA punishments, you can ALWAYS

Jul 23, 2012, 11:22 AM

make the argument that just because there is one or two people that do something wrong, why does the entire team or the entire university have to be punished? And that argument holds no merit whatsoever. There was a culture in place at PSU of protecting the guilty in order to maintain the university's image and the NCAA has the right, AND the obligation, to drop the hammer so this does not happen again at any university. It's not just punitive, it's also supposed to be preventive. They will not get any sympathy from me on this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: When it comes to NCAA punishments, you can ALWAYS

Jul 23, 2012, 11:25 AM

in other ncaa sanctions players and/or boosters are involved. Not this one.....

You're right.

Jul 23, 2012, 11:28 AM

Only the most important people were involved in this, to protect what had become larger than the safety of children.

That makes it a lot better, right?

Re: You're right.

Jul 23, 2012, 11:33 AM

no, just mean ncaa is punishing the wrong people. Doesn't punish the wrong doers one iota....

If a school of business dean was caught ###### a boy on campus, would you be ok with closing the department and telling the kids to go to school elsewhere?

If it meant that at least one kid would....

Jul 23, 2012, 11:50 AM

avoid being abused in the future than you're d@mn right that's the right thing to do.

Re: If it meant that at least one kid would....

Jul 23, 2012, 11:53 AM

but on what earth does it mean that if the person is in jail??????the guy ###### the kids isn't there any more he's in jail! How are these punishments keeping kids from getting raped?

What don't you understand about mentality?

Jul 23, 2012, 12:01 PM

It's not just Sandusky that's at fault here. It's the other high ranking officials that everyone else in the program looks to for leadership. It's the mentality surrounding a program that leads those involved with said program to brush indiscretions under the rug. These indiscretions aren't some minor deal either. It's not just a booster giving a few kids a summer job with higher than average pay.

After a $60 million dollar fine, 4 years bowl probation, losing scholarships and the deep whole that PSU will be crawling out of over the next decade do you think that the new administration will tolerate this kind of thing again? I think not.

Now, give them the punishment you suggest, which seems to be nothing but locking up Sandusky. Ok, that's already done so the university and all those idiots protesting Paterno's firing that PSU calls fans will still put football onto a pedastal that even child molestation can't overshadow.

in this case it was worse--coaches, administrators--people

Jul 23, 2012, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: When it comes to NCAA punishments, you can ALWAYS ]

who had the power to do something but ignored the demonistic actions of a COACH.

Re: in this case it was worse--coaches, administrators--people

Jul 23, 2012, 11:53 AM

which is criminal and should be handled in court, not by NCAA.

Sick of this argument. It holds no merit.

Jul 23, 2012, 11:32 AM

The culture of football at Penn State had become so large that Paterno was viewed as a God. Because of that, and only because of that, was there a cover-up.

The cover up was specifically to protect the image and reputation of Penn State football, because it had become bigger than the school and bigger than the safety of children.

They needed to be brought back to reality. Period.

Message was edited by: 6317forever®

Re: Sick of this argument. It holds no merit.

Jul 23, 2012, 11:35 AM

Bingo. The players should be ecstatic that they can leave pedo state without sitting out a year, and go to a school where kids don't get raped.

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

Jul 23, 2012, 11:37 AM

Yeah, they should be estactic about having to up and transplant to bust their @$$ to get a starting spot. I'm sure they love the heII out of that....yall are delusional.

Jul 23, 2012, 11:40 AM

Star players will be str players no matter what. If this happened at clemson, sammy would be starting at Florida in a month and a half. Meanwhile, a group of adults will be crapping pancakes the rest of their lives because paterno loved winning more than the welfare of children.

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

Not sure to TD or TU for "crapping pancakes"***

Jul 23, 2012, 1:39 PM

Life's not fair sometimes......

Jul 23, 2012, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Sick of this argument. It holds no merit. ]

we all get dealt a bad hand sometimes. Would you rather have to uproot and switch programs or be abused by a football coach?

Which one is more difficult to deal with?

Yeah everyone is delusional but you who are the only one

Jul 23, 2012, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Sick of this argument. It holds no merit. ]

who is defending this crap. Lose the pride and see you're the only one defending this. When 99% to 1% vote, then i'd say the 1% is wrong.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 23, 2012, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Sick of this argument. It holds no merit. ]

So let's punish tradition, loyalty, and doing the right things? That's why Joe Pa was revered. They didn't know about this cover up.

Yall punishing the wrong things. These men made these dicisions.

It's like the idea of banning guns because some people ar ebat chit crazy....punish the people who are crazy not the poeple who do the right things with it.

Don't punish tradition and loyalty in football, punish those who take advantage of it.

Jul 23, 2012, 11:38 AM

"tradition, loyalty, and doing the right thing" and "joe paterno" should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

My point is, the student only knew that Joe Pa did the right thing at the time. So to punish them for that is wrong. We shouldn't ban loyalty and tradition in college football. That will kill the sport we know and love. And what? Over a sick individual? He's gonna get his day in jail and in heII.

Jul 23, 2012, 11:42 AM

If the students and alumni are honestly complaining about how this affects them, it just shows how selfish, delusional, and out of touch they actually are.

Jul 23, 2012, 11:48 AM

You're only hearing from those because they are the loudest. I'd bet money that most PSU fans are disgusted and just keeping quiet....

Jul 23, 2012, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Sick of this argument. It holds no merit. ]

Did you not read my post? It was because of that "loyalty" and "tradition" that this happened. Penn State football was bigger than Penn State University. Am I wrong here? Was the cover-up not to protect Penn State football?

If people didn't care about football as much, this cover-up would have been exposed right away. But because people did, it was hidden away for years.

The point is that the "culture" needs to be changed there, and it will be. Football should not be the top priority for any University, and it most certainly should not come at the expense of innocent lives.

No it isnt' because of loyalty and tradition. That's the same argument the pansy liberals use for gun control. "It's because of the gun that that person was killed." No it's because someone pulled the trigger. Sandusky, JoePa, the AD and Pres pulled the trigger.

Loyalty and tradition <> rape fraud

Loyalty Tradition and F'ed people = rape fraud

You're still missing the point. So I'll simplify it to

Jul 23, 2012, 11:51 AM

one sentence.

Without football, this cover-up would never have happened.

That's all there is to it.

Re: You're still missing the point. So I'll simplify it to

Jul 23, 2012, 11:55 AM

This could have happened in any department....football was not the reason...they just happened to work for the football program....football was an indendent factor....

Jul 23, 2012, 11:57 AM

You think if this was women's volleyball that it would have been covered up for so long?

Football was the ONLY FACTOR, and the ONLY REASON there was a cover-up.

Jul 23, 2012, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: You're still missing the point. So I'll simplify it to ]

Football itself wasn't the cause for the cover up, money was. When an entire institution is at fault, sometimes those lower down on the totem pole that didn't have anything to do with anything illegal still get lost in the shuffle. See Enron.

CU, you keep bringing up all other kinds of example--lets

Jul 23, 2012, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Sick of this argument. It holds no merit. ]

stick to the CRIMES committed by penn state! I have to TOTALLY disagree with you on this and it sounds like everyone else does to---so that's YOU"RE sign that you may have it wrong this time.

Re: CU, you keep bringing up all other kinds of example--lets

nah i think many do agree....the one's replying just feel strongly against. Look at Athomas' post from last night.

The entire program was at fault

please explain to me how you discipline the entire program without hurting someone that is innocent?

It is punishment by association...is it right to everyone, NO, but something major had to be done.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: The entire program was at fault

the entire program wans't to blame. 4 men were....

They WERE the whole program.

Jul 23, 2012, 11:52 AM

They ran the whole show.

Re: They WERE the whole program.

Jul 23, 2012, 11:56 AM

ran it yes, but not the whole program. Those kids are the program....

Re: They WERE the whole program.

Jul 23, 2012, 12:03 PM

No, joepa was the program. He and the admin had a reaponsibility to those kids, and they failed spectacularly.

now 63-17 gets it---that is EXACTLY correct***

Jul 23, 2012, 12:02 PM [ in reply to They WERE the whole program. ]

Jul 23, 2012, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: The entire program was at fault ]

Clemson whole program wasn't at fault, Miami's whole program wasn't at fault, SMU.

Jul 23, 2012, 12:00 PM

players and boosters were involved.....not involved with the crime at PSU.....

Jul 23, 2012, 12:02 PM

Okay...

But the COACHES and higher-ups WITHIN the football program were! That makes it a football issue!

Every probation hurts the innocent. So you can't

Jul 23, 2012, 11:57 AM [ in reply to The entire program was at fault ]

lesson a penalty based on the innocent. The programs, they deserve to be penalized. They are allowing the kids to go else where without sitting out a year. I wouldn't care if they tore down the whole program.

Re: Every probation hurts the innocent. So you can't

Jul 23, 2012, 12:00 PM

see above....

Name one school who ever got ncaa sanctions where the players and/or boosters weren't involved.....

Re: Every probation hurts the innocent. So you can't

Jul 23, 2012, 12:04 PM

Name 1 school that covered up child sodomy for 15+ years.

So who do you punish?

Jul 23, 2012, 11:41 AM

I understand the arguement that none of the current players or staff were involved. But with the seriouslness of what happened a message has to be sent to PSU and all other programs.

So do you let the program itself walk away with a wrist slap and indirectly continue the mindset that child abuse is ok as long as it means the football program isn't shed in a negative light?

Or to you punish some innocent players and coaches to send a strong message to all that this will never be tolerated? Keep in mind, these players and coaches will eventually be fine. This may be a stumbling block for them, but by no means a life changing event. Can you say the same for those kids who will live with this for the rest of their lives.

I very rarely use a blanket statement, but in my opinion ALL negative reactions to this punishment are sad.

Re: So who do you punish?

ncaa should punish acording to LOIC....give them what usuck got....

I haven't seen USuck get anything yet......

I'm pretty sure there is no comparison either between getting free/cheap hotel rooms vs. coaches abusing kids.

Re: I haven't seen USuck get anything yet......

Jul 23, 2012, 11:56 AM

getting free cheap hotel rooms = ncaa violation

coaches abusing kids = crime, not ncaa violations

Usuck lost 3 shcolarships per year for 3 years....

Do you believe that losing 3 schollies.....

Jul 23, 2012, 12:03 PM

for 3 years would change the mentality that football is king? Do you feel that a punishment similar to that would really have any long lasting changes to any program?

I don't believe that will hurt USuck or any other school bad enough to have any sort of impact.

It was on the football team and the coaches and AD knew

Jul 23, 2012, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: I haven't seen USuck get anything yet...... ]

about it and covered it up. They could have shut the whole program down and i'd have no problem with it.

Re: I haven't seen USuck get anything yet......

Jul 23, 2012, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: I haven't seen USuck get anything yet...... ]

A COACH molested children at the FOOTBALL facilities. The HEAD COACH covered it up and allowed more victims to be molested. He covered it up to protect the FOOTBALL program.

How is that not a violation? How can anyone argue this? The ncaa punishes free tattoos. But they should ignore child rape? And don't say its just criminal. The cover up protected the football program. That is a violation. And the worst kind of violation because it allowed the behavior to continue and created more victims.

The NCAA punished free tattoos because they provided a

Jul 23, 2012, 1:12 PM

"competitive advantage".

As bad as this CRIME was, it did not involve student athletes and it cannot be said it provided a competitive advantage. Penn State did break a single NCAA bylaw.

Re: The NCAA punished free tattoos because they provided a

Jul 23, 2012, 1:12 PM

Wow, I can't believe we've agreed on something.

Jul 23, 2012, 1:20 PM [ in reply to The NCAA punished free tattoos because they provided a ]

How can you argue that this doesn't provide a competitive advantage? What mother wants to send their kid to a school where kids are raped? You don't think that some recruits who signed with psu migjt not have had they known that joepa was harboring a molester? If so, then covering up the scandal gave them a competitive advantage.

Jul 23, 2012, 1:22 PM

They're ranked 15th in recruiting by all outlets RIGHT NOW!! even after all of this! To say for sure it would have hurt them is hypothetical and mostlikely garbage. Could have even HELPED them in recruiting.

Jul 23, 2012, 1:26 PM

I think you need to gove it more than 4 hours before you jump to the conclusion that it doesn't affect recruiting.

Of course, if PSU would have taken care of it right away...

Jul 23, 2012, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: The NCAA punished free tattoos because they provided a ]

then kids aren't getting raped. But why would parents be concerned if the perpetrator was eliminated right away? I don't think it would have hurt recruiting at all.

No recruits were lured in due to extra benefits, and no wins were seen on the field because PSU chose to ignore it. Kids getting raped by a twisted former member of the football program in no way, shape, or form provided a "competitive advantage".

It can only be, at best, speculated that a player or two would have decided to go elsewhere had PSU taken care of this earlier. Doubtful though. That's like saying the shootings at VT has prevented recruits from going there.

Re: Of course, if PSU would have taken care of it right away...

Jul 23, 2012, 1:39 PM

I disagree.

They would have lost recruits and VPI&SU was different in that it was not the football program, but bad publicity costs university applications.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

The NCAA deals in athletics...

Jul 23, 2012, 1:44 PM

Whether or not student apps go down as a result of firing Sandusky 15 years ago is speculative, but I highly doubt that it would have cost a single recruit had they ELIMINATED the source of the issue. The Penn State football program would have had exactly the same amount of success had they fired Sandusky 15 years ago, and the NCAA did not levy their punishment because the coverup provided a competitive advantage.

Let's agree to disagree.

Re: Of course, if PSU would have taken care of it right away...

Jul 23, 2012, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Of course, if PSU would have taken care of it right away... ]

From Article 6.1 of the NCAA’s Constitution: “[t]he control and responsibility for the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be exercised by the institution itself and by the conference(s).” 

I'd say sandusky's actions fall under this.

"conduct of intercollegiate athletics"

Jul 23, 2012, 1:45 PM

If a coach commits a crime, the NCAA has no jurisdiction.

Re: "conduct of intercollegiate athletics"

Jul 23, 2012, 1:49 PM

Are you serious? It says that schools are directly responsible for the conduct of intercollegiate athletics. Sandusky and paterno were both integral parts of psu's intercollegiate athletics.

Re: "conduct of intercollegiate athletics"

Jul 23, 2012, 1:52 PM

They took meither control or responsibility for a heinous act committed by a member of the athletic staff in a penn stye facility. Instead, they acted in a manner directly contradictory to any sane person's definition of maintaining control or reaponsibility.

If a coach was caught robbing banks or mugging old ladies...

Jul 23, 2012, 7:32 PM

Is it the NCAA's job to discipline? Of course not.

I think you're a little confused.

If the institution tried to cover up the robbings...

Jul 23, 2012, 7:54 PM

and muggings, then yes, the institution can and should be punished.

I think you are the one that is confused. The NCAA is not punishing psu for the crime, but for the cover up, which violates ncaa bylaws

That's way off base...

Jul 23, 2012, 8:07 PM

The NCAA doesn't deal in criminal activities. It nonsensical to think they'd get involved if a school tried to cover up a criminal activity unrelated to athletics.

The NCAA governs athletics and student athletes, and any punishment they dole out has to do with that arena. If the coverup created an unfair competitive advantage in athletics, then the NCAA would have grounds to punish. But it didn't, so they don't. In fact, they didn't state a single thing about a competitive advantage.

Not confused at all. Penn State and the people involved in this horrible crime should face criminal charges, and it should be handled in a court of law. That process hasn't even run it's course, and the NCAA has no place or precedent in this matter.

Stanley - read this and get back to me on NCAA Regs

Jul 23, 2012, 1:52 PM [ in reply to "conduct of intercollegiate athletics" ]

10:1 Unethical Conduct

Unethical conduct by a prospective or enrolled student-athlete or a current or former institutional staff member, which includes any individual who performs work for the institution or the athletics department even if he or she does not receive compensation for such work, may include, but is not limited to, the following:

(d) Knowingly furnishing or knowingly influencing others to furnish the NCAA or the individual’s institution false or misleading information concerning an individual’s involvement in or knowledge of matters relevant
to a possible violation of an NCAA regulation

19.01.2 Exemplary Conduct.

Individuals employed by or associated with member institutions for the administration, the conduct or the coaching of intercollegiate athletics are, in the final analysis, teachers of young
people. Their responsibility is an affirmative one, and they must do more than avoid improper conduct or questionable acts. Their own moral values must be so certain and positive that those younger and more pliable will be influenced by a fine example. Much more is expected of them than of the less critically placed citizen.

10.01.1 Honesty and Sportsmanship.

"Individuals employed by (or associated with) a member institution to administer, conduct or coach intercollegiate athletics and all participating student-athletes shall act with honesty and sportsmanship at all times so that intercollegiate athletics as a whole, their institutions and they, as individuals, shall represent the honor and dignity of fair play and the generally recognized high standards associated with wholesome competitive sports."

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

CG - please try to read it in context...

Jul 23, 2012, 7:30 PM

The NCAA deals in athletics and rules within athletics to prevent teams from cheating and gaining competitive advantages. They don't deal in coaches ###### kids or any other unethical behavior outside the impact on athletics.

what you are not understanding...

Jul 23, 2012, 7:51 PM

the ncaa is not punishing psu for the crime, they are punishing them for the cover up.

19.01.2 Exemplary Conduct.

Individuals employed by or associated with member institutions for the administration, the conduct or the coaching of intercollegiate athletics are, in the final analysis, teachers of young people. Their responsibility is an affirmative one, and they must do more than avoid improper conduct or questionable acts. Their own moral values must be so certain and positive that those younger and more pliable will be influenced by a fine example. Much more is expected of them than of the less critically placed citizen

You're not understanding...

Jul 23, 2012, 8:14 PM

Their role is in athletics and behavior within athletics. Period. If a coach or student athlete engages in criminal activity not related to athletics, then the NCAA should have no say in it.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2012/7/19/3170175/college-football-the-right-answer-regarding-the-ncaa-and-penn-st

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1258859-what-is-the-role-of-the-ncaa-in-the-penn-state-scandal

http://www.sungazette.com/page/content.detail/id/580504/NCAA-s-role-up-for-debate-in-Penn-State-investigation.html?nav=5017

Sure it did, if they wouldn't have covered this up, would

Jul 23, 2012, 1:25 PM [ in reply to The NCAA punished free tattoos because they provided a ]

they have been able to have high recruiting, top 25 classes? I'd say that is an advantage. Shocking a stalker would defend PSU

What are you talking about armyranger?

Jul 23, 2012, 1:37 PM

1) If PSU canned the guy 15 years ago, it wouldn't have kept Penn State from recruiting at exactly the same level they have since then.

2) I am in no way, shape, or form defending Penn State, and your little veiled insult is pathetic.

Re: So who do you punish?

Jul 23, 2012, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Re: So who do you punish? ]

Yeah cause what SC did is equal to what went on at Penn st, come on CU you're smarter than that

Re: This NCAA dicision infuriates me

wow - talk about a lame argument. I had to do exactly that. I've uprooted my family and moved and started all over again. If you're tough enough, you overcome adversity instead of crying in your beer. Get over it.

Life will go on. I just hope the kids can overcome their mountain of adversity. It's about the KIDS right now. Why can't everyone see that?????

Jul 23, 2012, 11:59 AM

creating more victims after a victim centered crimes is never the answer and solves nothing.....

Solves a lot of things, punishes the athletic department

Jul 23, 2012, 12:06 PM

which fostered the look-the-other-way mentality and deservedly is getting everything they deserve.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey CU....

Jul 23, 2012, 12:13 PM

Was it fair that the entire Clemson team received a bowl ban the year we fought with Usuck? Probably not because there were some players on both sides who didnt' get invloved. The coaches weren't fighting either. I don't remember seeing TB drop kicking Holtz.

But they all received the same punishment regardless to send a message that that sort of behaviour would not be tolerated.

This situation is no different. I think it's a shame that players and others not involved are now going to suffer for the actions of a few others. Remember being in school and the whole class was punished for what one kid did? This is the same thing. No, it's not fair, but life rarely is. Congrats to you though if you've never had an unfair situation in your life. You are definitely the outlier.

Also, I am going to guess that you don't have children. I do and I can tell you that if that happened to my children no punishment would be too harsh to the individual who commited the abuse or to those who allowed it happen. Not to mention, if it was my kid, Sandusky wouldn't be waiting for a sentance as I would have already buried him six feet under.

^^^^ exactly right +1 great post***

Jul 23, 2012, 1:22 PM

Re: Hey CU....

Jul 23, 2012, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Hey CU.... ]

players were involved....that's the point. At PSU no players were involved AT ALL....

Its 1000 times worse. The Head Coach was involved***

Jul 23, 2012, 1:26 PM

Re: Its 1000 times worse. The Head Coach was involved***

Jul 23, 2012, 3:23 PM

yes in a crime, outside the ncaa jurisdiction.

Re: Hey CU....

Jul 23, 2012, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey CU.... ]

How do u know that no players knew about it? Dis you interview every formaer player since 1998? You'll have a hard time convincing any reasonably logical person that no one outside the 4 or 5people that were publicly roasted knew about it.

Keep CRYING - you sound like you are trapped in a shower too

Jul 23, 2012, 12:14 PM

whaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaaa

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Think about it this way!

Jul 23, 2012, 1:48 PM

I think I understand where you are coming from. It does seem out of line from what the NCAA is used to reviewing. However, think about it this way.

Personally, I think the NCAA did PSU a favor. PSU needed to, and probably wanted to do something to show that as a University they had gone astray and needed to be punished. Granted the school was lead a stray by a few school officials, but none the less the school as a whole was led off course. This being understood, how do you even begin to determine what a “fair” punishment should be from within? The answer is you can’t. No punishment is good enough. The only thing that is even close is the “Death Penalty”. But then the question is how long do you ban football? Is it 1 year, 10 years, forever? I think forever is probably about the only thing that could be offered that would keep everyone from screaming at them. I also think this was an option that they did not want to entertain. Football pays for everything, so they need it. So how do you keep from having to institute the “Death Penalty” when that is the only penalty that is even remotely acceptable? The NCAA…

First, the NCAA helped PSU by stripping JoPa’s record from them. From a PR perspective this had to happen. Or you would never hear the end of the Sports is greater than Abuse story that would linger forever. But PSU definitely did not want to bring this into play on their own. Their boosters, fans, hell the whole state has a lot of pride in that record. How do you take this record way while not alienating your support base. Thank you NCAA. They stripped the record not PSU! This allows PSU to save face and not further irritate a sore subject among it’s base.

Next, they helped out by defining a punishment. PSU did not come up with these penalties, the NCAA did. This helps PSU from trying to prove or qualify why it believes this punishment is fair, which would have been a losing battle. Notice how the President, did not even fight this. It was a “Yes Sir” regarding the punishment. The penalties are Harsh, but they had to be. And while it will hurt for a while, they will still play football. This is the price that had to be paid so that they can get past this story and start moving forward. Right now the timeline for this story is approximately 8 years. That is when you will see the PSU team at full strength again from a scholarship perspective. At that point, given the success of the coach PSU will either be looking for another coach, or they will be praising O’Brian for the success he has achieved. I believe he was given a 10 year guaranteed deal, which will be 2 years after he will have a team at full strength. And thus a new news cycle regarding PSU will begin and this terrible awful thing will be finished (w. the exception of the documentaries that will be put out every 10 years or so).
So, even though it may seem like the NCAA is stepping over the line. I think they are actually helping PSU get past this awful thing. Just my 2 cents.

GO TIGERS
LNT

I think you're overreacting and making a lot of assumptions***

Jul 23, 2012, 2:27 PM

Jul 23, 2012, 7:40 PM

Penn st. Gave too much control o Joe Pa and the NCAA is making a point that this kinda control will not be tolerated. Penn st. Has over 1 billion in their endowment. They will not be laying of people left and right.

Replies: 87
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic