Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious questions for Christians.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Serious questions for Christians.

May 18, 2020, 9:34 AM

I have not seen ANY pastor address the COVID crisis effectively. I have seen some churches do some nice things like volunteering and serving and making their parking lots available for various uses. But as for pastors themselves, almost 100% I have heard have fallen back on some lazy version of the old "G-d is in control" mantra. That has not been helpful at all for me.

Anyone got any pastors out there with good takes on the COVID thing?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure what you're looking for...

May 18, 2020, 9:43 AM

The fact that you "censor" yourself on the word "God" makes me wonder why you would care what any pastor of any kind says. God is kind of...the whole point.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not sure what you're looking for...

May 18, 2020, 9:53 AM

Guidance around prayer would be nice. Guidance around the Bible in how we can relate these times back to our teachings. That would be a start.

My pastor seems to mail in a 30 speech where she is half about to cry the whole time and then tip toes around politics for the other 15 minutes. It can get odd. Easter was great as that is a slam dunk for a Pastor, but outside of that, not much to grab onto.

Been watching some old Charles Stanley messages and trying to relate them back to these times. Seems to help at times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, just not sure how a pastor would divorce those

May 18, 2020, 10:10 AM

things from God, which seems to be what the OP is looking for.

I think the OP is looking for more of a motivational speaker.

Re: Yes, just not sure how a pastor would divorce those

May 18, 2020, 10:17 AM

Tim 4

4 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Emphasis mine

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oy vey. You clearly are not hanging out the Messianic Jews.

May 18, 2020, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Not sure what you're looking for... ]

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/166899/jewish/Why-Dont-You-Spell-Out-G-ds-Name.htm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I knew that, but didn’t think you were Jewish?***

May 18, 2020, 10:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK, no I don't personally know any.***

May 18, 2020, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Oy vey. You clearly are not hanging out the Messianic Jews. ]

ATL PAW MAN, I would like to apologize to you

May 18, 2020, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Oy vey. You clearly are not hanging out the Messianic Jews. ]

for jumping to the wrong conclusion about why you wrote God's name the way you did. That was wrong, and I ask for your forgiveness.

I’m not being snarky here.....you’ve really never seen

May 18, 2020, 10:47 AM

That before?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.

May 18, 2020, 10:52 AM

I have a recollection of reading maybe that Jews have an ancient tradition to not speak or write out the proper name of God, but I had never seen that in the English, and it did not occur to me that he could have that purpose.

Fair enough....I think the first time I noticed it

May 18, 2020, 10:55 AM

Was at a Jewish wedding many, many years ago. I noticed it throughout the wedding program and I asked my Jewish friend “did the o’s cost extra or something?”. I think my friend laughed on the inside.

No offense taken. Many are not aware of this custom.***

May 18, 2020, 11:01 AM [ in reply to ATL PAW MAN, I would like to apologize to you ]

Re: ATL PAW MAN, I would like to apologize to you

May 18, 2020, 11:12 AM [ in reply to ATL PAW MAN, I would like to apologize to you ]

Please say no. Please say no.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Throughout my 49 years of spiritual life...

May 18, 2020, 9:56 AM

one thing is immutable, the Word of God.

Romans 8:28
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Anything I might say other than 'this verse is true,' would distract from the immutable truth those words form in a believer's heart.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's fine for belief/faith, but G-d sure is wiping out a

May 18, 2020, 10:35 AM

bunch of good people along the way to His purpose.

That is an interesting idea to discuss, and of course it

May 18, 2020, 11:13 AM

has been discussed quite a bit. The bottom line, Christianity 101, answer is that God is not wiping out anybody. Death occurred to all a long time ago. This is not even home anymore. To a person who does not believe this, every physical death seems like a new horror, so it seems natural to blame Him. It has actually all already happened, a horror far worse than we think we see with a mere epidemic, which in this case is hardly a blip by historical standards, except for our own panic. And an accompanying Solution has been provided.

It has all already happened. The Flood didn't kill anybody, a car accident doesn't kill anybody, covid doesn't kill anybody. Each does show that the day to choose His solution is today. Tomorrow has never been promised.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not helpful and nothing to do with present, physical reality***

May 18, 2020, 11:50 AM

Doesn't fit what you want to believe.

May 18, 2020, 12:25 PM

Explains everything about physical life. One has a choice:

1. A perfect world was created and given to us. It is now a fallen world that will continue to bring a succession of illness and death. God has responded, creating a new Home which is offered to us. Or...

2. We can create a happy world here if we would all get on board, or if God would wake up and make our world better.

Answer: "God said at the beginning that #2 is not going to happen. He did #1 instead."
You: "That is not helpful."

You didn't ask how one might know #1 is true rather than just saying it. You just like #2 better because you get to harrumph. Okay.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is not a sweeping promise that...

May 18, 2020, 11:43 AM [ in reply to that's fine for belief/faith, but G-d sure is wiping out a ]

all thing work for the good. God is killing no one. A chinese virus is killing people.

G-d sure as Hades has permitted it, has He not?***

May 18, 2020, 11:50 AM

Yes. But here you have to fish or cut bait.

May 18, 2020, 11:54 AM

If you don't believe God exists, raising straw man arguments doesn't enlighten anyone. So just forget it and move on.

If you do believe God exists, whining in frustration about what is clearly happening in front of you isn't getting you anywhere. Do you want to know why He permits it, or is this just in which to harrumph in indignation?

...a forum in which....***

May 18, 2020, 11:56 AM

Re: G-d sure as Hades has permitted it, has He not?***

May 19, 2020, 10:51 AM [ in reply to G-d sure as Hades has permitted it, has He not?*** ]

i dont think He wanted us to play with bat viruses , the whole free will thing just bit us again

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bats and snakes are not kosher - so there is that, but DAYUM

May 19, 2020, 12:41 PM

300+ thousand dead and a dead economy is one HAIL of a price to pay for a Chinaman breaking dietary laws, is it not?

They probably want to keep quiet on this.

May 18, 2020, 10:31 AM

If there's a situation that can prove God has zero control of, its a pandemic.

The cliche's of "its God's plan" and "God works in mysterious ways" are just too tired and simply a stretch to even cover any aspect of it all.

It throws the "why would God allow children to die" type questions right up in your face. There's no right answer for those level of questions, especially to a parent.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly - was hoping someone had a good/better take

May 18, 2020, 10:34 AM

But you nailed the dilemma.

He manufactured one. If one buys into the strawman,

May 18, 2020, 11:51 AM

one will think he nailed it. Flat earthers affirm each other all the time.

I’m not sure why it’s so baffling.

May 18, 2020, 10:41 AM [ in reply to They probably want to keep quiet on this. ]

We acknowledge things like deer hunting to be necessary for population control, and have controlled burns of forests to manage them, but see things like pandemics that, in a way, control human population as an open and shut example of an imperfect system?

This is a straw man post. No one here has said anything

May 18, 2020, 11:18 AM [ in reply to They probably want to keep quiet on this. ]

like that, and I know of no one who says those things, except atheists who erect straw men to knock down. Even if a few do say such things, they give no weight to your post, because people say various things about any situation.

One search for truth, or one can find fault in what a particular person says to bolster one's bias. Your post is an example of the latter.

OK..why does God allow children to get Covid an die?

May 19, 2020, 1:07 PM

He's omnipotent, seems he could stop that sorta thing if he wanted.

When people's houses burn down, they sure are in a hurry to thank God for not dying.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A miracle is

May 19, 2020, 4:58 PM

when God steps in to save you from the thing God was about to do to you.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Sounds like you want a microbiologist.***

May 18, 2020, 10:34 AM

You have searched the words of many more pastors

May 18, 2020, 11:02 AM

than I have, such that "ANY" is an indictment. Kudos for your research.

The message I have heard has been simple and consistent, which has seemed right to me; the more existential the issue the more basic the Truth. "Jesus, if you had only been here rather than dallying around would not have happened, and whatever killed my brother and your friend wouldn't have happened. You failed us."

"Lazarus isn't really dead. He will rise again."

"Oh, Jesus, I know THAT. This is me you're talking to. We're all Jews here, remember? I got the last judgement and all that."

"No, you're missing it. I am the resurrection and the life. If you believe in me, there is no death. Do you believe this?"

There is no other message. No prayer prescription, no bible reading course, no act of service to the community can make that true for the individual. When everyone is panicking and placing blame, do you, the individual, know that Jesus has already died ahead of you and has taken you Home with Him? Do you know that this is not your home, that no death can happen to you here that has not already happened to all? Do you know you have nothing to worry about? If the answers are not already "yes" no sermon can make you feel better.

The only truthful sermon regarding covid is to remind the believers of this, and to call the not-yet believers to it.

The only meaningful application to daily life I have heard as two interdependent parts:

1. Remember where this, and every disease and every human ill comes from. There is an enemy, and your neighbor is not it. We are all complicit in this, and there is only one Victor over that enemy. Therefore, do not look to humans for either a scapegoat or a solution. Neither are there.

2. Keep this hopeful and peaceful attitude, because if the worst happens people might again be willing to drop their pride and be open to looking beyond humanity for answers. Disasters destroy the facade of human control. Be ready with the answer, which is the simply Gospel story above.

As best as I can tell, #2 is yet to happen. People are by and large doubling down on human dependence, even sacrificing freedom and identity in the hope that someone can fix the unfixable. But there are individuals who do ask for answers, and they are looking for authenticity, one who is not blaming someone else.

There is no prescription for one to follow in any of that. There are no Five-Simple-Steps-To-Peace. The Creator has already taken one Home, or one is still holding on to this world, and to the prideful belief that answers are found here. So, there is the offer to drop the rebellion, abandon one's pride, and come Home. "You must be born again."

This is the message I have heard. It seems right to me.

Here a couple of solid sermons I've watched lately.

May 18, 2020, 11:09 AM

https://resources.gracechurchsc.org/sermons/response/psalm-131/

Sermon begins about 10:30 mark. Makes some really good points about anxiety vs arrogance. The media asking questions that clearly nobody know the answers for, etc. Only about a 25 minute sermon.

Here's another good resource. Buster Brown at East Cooper Baptist in Mount Pleasant. Excellent 2 part deal on anxiety. March 29 and April 5. Sermons start around 30 min into the deal.

https://eastcooperbaptist.com/sermon/march-29-2020/

https://eastcooperbaptist.com/sermon/battling-anxiety/

Well... Since you asked...

May 18, 2020, 12:07 PM

https://youtu.be/0NROvEMNqx8?t=1451

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

decent answers by N.T. Wright...

May 18, 2020, 12:19 PM

https://time.com/5808495/coronavirus-christianity/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUTD0S9YVuU

Have you not read in the Scripture

May 18, 2020, 9:43 PM

Mk 8:34 When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."

Jesus spoke these words before He ever went to the cross. The people He spoke those words to, they understood what the cross was. They had witnessed the pain and suffering it inflicted upon those found guilty and sentenced to die by the cross. Therefore, they would also understand the sacrifice they were committing themselves to. That Jesus was calling them to.

Beginning with:

1. They would deny themselves. Whatever the worldly side of their being tried to do which interfered with their following of Christ, they were to deny it - to deny self for the sake of Christ.

2. Even it it means the pain of the cross, deny yourself and follow Christ Jesus. They were to take up their own cross - whatever that burden entailed. The problem, however, with being a living sacrifice is this, when it gets uncomfortable we can get up off the alter and leave. Proving by this action, the true measure of our faith.

3. The Christian is not called into the expectation that life will be all rainbows and butterflies. They are not called to complain against, or about, God either when their life gets hard. Or when they don't understand what is happening - as if God ever owed anyone an explanation about what happens everyday.

4. God has not told us why, or where this is heading. But He has made us a promise. The Christian knows what that is. And having the assurance of that promise they are filled with peace that surpasses all understanding - or even explanation by them other than to say this, God is good all the time.

5. Is your calling to follow Jesus any different? You have a special pass that no one else gets? You want help - from a man? Because He owes it to you? My, my, how far from the altar some have fled.

Message was edited by: HuntClub®

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Thanks for your efforts, NT Wright came closest but nothing

May 18, 2020, 10:17 PM

really hitting home on this one.

At first I thought people would flock back to church after this thing died down. I imagined Easter service packed like never before. Now I tend to think COVID may be the nail in the church's (at least the Mainstream Protestant church's) proverbial coffin. People got a taste of staying home on Sunday mawn and they ain't goin' back for pie in the sky, G-d is in control platitudes that don't have any real impact on their daily lives.

Let me save CUintulsa the trouble and go ahead and say it for him: "straw man"

:)

You seem to be projecting based on nothing. I mean,

May 18, 2020, 11:12 PM

You could be right, but anecdotally I know that our small church is enjoying the online services that I’ve been producing, but no one considers them to be viable long term substitutes for the fellowship we are missing. Incidentally, contributions are up year over year for March and April, although I still believe that could be a lag indicator for how people were feeling and doing in Jan and Feb....putting a pin in that one.

I look at it like this, if you are right and people are digging the convenience of staying home just because it’s easier, then they’ll feel the same way about restaurants, travel, shopping, movies, etc. in a nutshell, it’s an economic armageddon of which church attendance will just be one small casualty. I don’t believe that though....what I’ve seen and believe tells me that deep down we are social creatures who ultimately crave contact.

I agree about the craving for contact. Our church is

May 19, 2020, 8:24 AM

reopening May 31 with 3 services, all less than an hour long, all congregants must wear masks, and of course, no touching.

Hard pass.

But APM will be back when/if we can do real church.

Although his messages have been tone deaf at times, I do like our pastor and the people at our church. I want to see them again.

Dang broseph, we had a session meeting last week and

May 19, 2020, 8:33 AM

Decided the first Sunday in July would be our target.

#smartdecision***

May 19, 2020, 8:43 AM

Well, if the church was just a place where people gathered

May 19, 2020, 7:43 AM [ in reply to Thanks for your efforts, NT Wright came closest but nothing ]

and nothing more, you might be on to something. Like the "Moose" lodge, or the "Civitan" club...or the many other clubs that have gone before. People could find something better to spend their time with. Like a bottle of Corona.

But, the church is not just a building where people congregate to worship impossibilities hoped for. And when all is said and done, it will be the same as it always has been... the "church" survives.

BTW, have you read Luke 17:5-10?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. I've read the Bible cover-to-cover three times.

May 19, 2020, 8:26 AM

Still ain't helping me much with this COVID thing.

NT Wright is closest. The Psalms are pretty good for these times.

Of course I agree about the definition of "church". But for the marginal, this will be all she wrote.

There is something I don't understand

May 19, 2020, 12:31 PM

- or have my finger on the pulse of > what is it exactly that you need an answer for (from a pastor) concerning COVID?

I simply wanted a better take than "G-d is in control".

May 19, 2020, 12:38 PM

b/c if so, G-d is letting a shitton of people die and killing the economy as well.

Hey, I hear you

May 19, 2020, 4:20 PM

but hear me too - God is in Control.

1 - Search & Rescue (see Jesus).

2 - Comfort & Care: after He lets us make a mess of something and then we need "help."

3 - Planning & Development: He lays out what is best, we chose it or not.

:)

I've seen a lot of pastors worrying about money***

May 18, 2020, 11:38 PM

Amen. "There won't be an Easter"! Translation: Ea$ter is a

May 19, 2020, 8:20 AM

big money maker for us. Come on Trump, let's re-open by Easter.

These pastors practiced what they preached.

May 19, 2020, 9:12 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/us/bishop-gerald-glenn-coronavirus.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2020/04/27/pastor-landon-spradlin-coronavirus-death/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52157824

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

gotta respect the ones who went out Mardi Grasin' though.

May 19, 2020, 9:38 AM

lol

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic