Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reparations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 541

Reparations

Dec 3, 2019, 5:11 PM

Good idea or not?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-city-pay-reparations-african-144159006.html
https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/3I793cYZXfyko5GmZodHOQ--~B/aD0xMDAwO3c9MTYwMDtzbT0xO2FwcGlkPXl0YWNoeW9u/https://media.zenfs.com/en-GB/the_telegraph_818/5b809f09b58dddbbe838ef24afb20b15">

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why not just give them free weed?***

Dec 3, 2019, 5:11 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Might have to check out Ancestry.com?***

Dec 3, 2019, 8:03 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Relations is beautiful.***

Dec 3, 2019, 5:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reparations

Dec 3, 2019, 6:09 PM

Reparations are a truly AWFUL idea.

You go trying to right historical wrongs and there's no end to it, and Good God the historical litigating that will ensue will beggar belief. My own family - or at least 3/4's of it - was German. My grandmom arrived here back in the 1930's not speaking a single word of English, her parents having fled Germany because they were members of a potato-pickers union...and as such were just behind Jews, Gypsies, and Communists on Hitler's list. They sensed which way the wind was blowing...and bailed, for which I am grateful, because they lived long enough to procreate and all.

How do you think it would go if I went back to Germany, stuck out my hand, and demanded "reparations" for running my great-grandfolks out of the country on a rail?

It's just ridiculous. Unless you were born a Rockefeller - or a Gates or a Bezos - somebody on this planet got dealt a better hand than you. And somebody effed your family over at some point. Actually plenty of people have effed me over in this life, and I haven't seen a dime of reparations from any of them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 9:00 PM

That's not what it's about though. When the wages of slaves were stolen, that money ended up in the American economy where it remains today, inflated. Had the slaves rightfully earned it, they could have created generational wealth, which is a way better method of financial security than earning it yourself. Generational wealth is also the key to advancement for a group up the societal ladder.

Forty acres and a mule was meant to even some of that out and it was a promise broken. And I'm not saying every black person be given x amount. It doesn't have to be a cash payment at all. But there are ways to make it better even if it can't be made right.

I know you're a thinking person unlike some others here, so watch this take on it and give your thoughts.

https://youtu.be/3MNu2GNx-kQ

Imo, the worst issue suffered from slavery is illiteracy...

Dec 3, 2019, 9:00 PM

among blacks. We can fix that but not with public education. I think we should take public education into court and try it for criminal negligence, child abuse and child slavery. I impeach our education system for failing our children and our nation.

Yes, if we end public education any money we spend could be to repair the damage we did when we denied slaves education. We're still doing it and nobody gives a chit, nobody.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Imo, the worst issue suffered from slavery is illiteracy...

Dec 3, 2019, 9:22 PM

https://twitter.com/haymarketbooks/status/1202043656376598529

Re: Imo, the worst issue suffered from slavery is illiteracy...

Dec 3, 2019, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Imo, the worst issue suffered from slavery is illiteracy... ]

Yeah, the way you educate people is create financial barriers to education. Republican logic is astounding.

^^^product of public education***

Dec 4, 2019, 8:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 11:02 PM

Reparations are an impossibility. It's only used to try to gin up votes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 11:37 PM

You should watch that link I posted. Your argument is addressed head-on.

Terrible.***

Dec 3, 2019, 11:04 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dec 4, 2019, 2:09 AM

I think reparations are a good thing IF it can be proven that someone's relative was a slave.

And who will pay those folks? Just any ol’ tax payer?

Dec 4, 2019, 6:46 AM

My ancestors didn’t own slaves in this country. Why would I pay them?

This is just the new aged affirmative action.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And who will pay those folks? Just any ol’ tax payer?

Dec 4, 2019, 6:50 AM

Our government wrongly allowed them to be enslaved. You and I pay for wrongly convicted people who are let out of jail. You didnt incarverate them. We paid the Japanese too. You didnt put them in internment camps.

Such a negative, victim view.

Dec 4, 2019, 7:15 AM

It was the way of the world back then. Our govt was the catalyst for fixing the problem. And to think we should pay 4, 5, and 6 generations of slave bloodlines is reckless. I could see giving the actual slaves some kind of head start, but at this point it’s just playing to the victim state of our country. If you think the reason you’re not successful is that your great-great grandparents were slaves.... come on.

Re: Such a negative, victim view.

Dec 4, 2019, 7:21 AM

I would be all for it IF I thought it was a simple process, but it wouldnt be. It would be corrupt and convoluted. That said, if it were simple I would be all for it. They made our nation rich and were tortured. I am against reparations due to the fact that it is not practical at this stage.

Dec 4, 2019, 7:24 AM

Agree with the point that it would be corrupt and convoluted.

Obviously still disagree that it’s a good idea, or just, or necessary, or betters our country in any way.

Dec 4, 2019, 7:57 AM

It might benefit black peeps.

Re: And who will pay those folks? Just any ol’ tax payer?

Dec 4, 2019, 6:52 AM [ in reply to And who will pay those folks? Just any ol’ tax payer? ]

Forgot to add...that I think it would be corrupt and possibly too complicated to figure out whose relatives were slaves.

Yes! Please yes for reparations. I fully support.

Dec 4, 2019, 7:58 PM

At the federal level, at least.

Dems...this is your policy. This is your promise to your cherished constituents. Put it out there. Put a plan in place that says "This is what the cost of slavery is" and I will press my representatives to vote for it.

What is the price, just out of curiosity?

Oh, and this deal in Evanston is worthless vote-buying, but so be it.

null

So potheads pay for 150 year ago slavery

Dec 4, 2019, 8:05 PM

Replies: 22
| visibility 541
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic