Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruiting question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,309

Recruiting question

Nov 13, 2018, 2:17 PM

I am not a recruiting guru and know little about the rules and limits so I wanted to ask some of the folks that follow it and understand the numbers to comment.

I thought that teams were allowed a maximum of 25 (scholarships) each year. My first question is why does Clemson not offer 25 Scholarships each year? It seems every year we can only offer 14, 18, 21, etc while teams like Bama and UGA (and others) offer a lot more than 25. Am I wrong on the 25 limit? Would we offer less than 25 because walk-ons are given scholarships? It just seems like due to graduation, transfers, and folks just leaving the program there would be 25 available every year.

Any insight would be appreciated!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Recruiting question

Nov 13, 2018, 2:44 PM

You also have 85 max limit too. Plus some can early enroll and count for the prior year class. Those kind of muddy it. Then there are early departures -vouluntary or otherwise (SEC culling the ranks).Bottom line though it does seem like SEC teams bring in about as many as they want to

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2018, 2:50 PM

We are allowed to bring in 25 recruits per year, but are allowed to have only 85 scholarship players on the squad. The 85 limit may reduce the number we can bring in. An option is to have some of the recruits report in January and count against that years 25. Walk ons given scholarships are a factor, but usually walk ons are given scholarships when we have defections, non-qualifiers, etc.
Some who are more well-versed than I, may give you more details.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty accurate

Nov 13, 2018, 3:07 PM

The limit is 85 scholarships so nobody can theoretically sign 25 every year, of course teams have found ways around this (processing players out) or early departures to the NFL. The cap is 25 but you’re right you can apply early enrollees to the previous year’s class. Which is how we’re going to take 30 guys this year.

Nov 13, 2018, 3:14 PM

25 is not a set number. The maximum that can be on the roster at 1 times is 85. So if a team has only 14 leave on a given year then that is number is how many scholarships that can be handed out by the coaches. The SECheat will send kids packing that they recruit and it doesn't look like they are going to be a contributor their junior or senior years. That's how teams like Tennessee can recruit 33 every year it seems. This year Because of all the Seniors on the roster and a few Juniors that are expected to leave CDS has put a number somewhere between 25 to 30. If they have a couple juniors not leave they expect then the number would be 25 and if they have a couple of extra leave that they didn't expect then the number would be 30. CDS first class was like only 8 players and so he was able to give a couple of walk-ons scholarships. All scholarships are 1 year in length but CDS will no pull a scholarship on someone unless they get in trouble and he kicks them off the team. There has been a push to change that where the scholarships are for 4 years and a few schools have actually instituted that. I do not recall if CDS has done that or not. One thing to keep in mind is if a player has an injury that will not allow him to continue his football career they change the scholarship to a medical type scholarship that doesn't count against the 85. So the student can finish his degree. Remember some will be around for 5 years, Like Hunter Renfrow, although hunter was not on scholarship his Redshirt freshman year. The redshirt season does count against the 85.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2018, 3:56 PM

Correct. The esh-she-she use spring practice as an opportunity to cull the herd. If they see a player is taking "too long" to develop, they tell them " we have decided to go in a different direction." Pretty much tell to transfer. Then they can give that scholy to a highly sought after recruit.

Those teams over sign every year. Dabo won't do it. I'm sure he gives them an honest evaluation, then encourages them to stay and earn more playing time.

Nov 13, 2018, 3:20 PM

Thanks guys - that makes a lot of sense now. I appreciate it!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2018, 3:24 PM

Due to most of the Clemson players staying until graduation or grad school Clemson also holds a much longer scholarship retention, by those players keeping that scholarship an extra year we don't always have enough scholarships to max out that year.

SEC vs ACC

Nov 13, 2018, 4:55 PM

as many have said - 85 total.

Due to major oversigning the SEC pretended to establish a rule (I think in one year TN signed 35) - limiting each school to 25 signings per year. I say pretend because every year - most of the SEC goes over that number.

If you total the signings over 4 years in the ACC vs SEC - you will see the oversignings. This number will also be greater as it does not include the redshirts for year 5.

Oversigning examples
2015,16,17,18 - 4 year total signings. (again - does not include 5th year red shirts)

School - # signed
Alabama - 95
Georgia - 103
Texas A&M - 97
South Carolina - 101

Clemson - 79
FSU - 89

So - before you add the redshirts (maybe 8 per year) - where do the players over 85 go?
Bama had to run off 10
GA ran off 18
A&M ran off 12
SC ran off 16 (or they ran off on their own) also after - de-cootments.

Clemson - 0
FSU - 4

Imagine being a poor city kid from NY (maybe a TE) and you got signed by GA. you go to school 2 years and don't quite progress the way they expected you to. They find a new hot shot TE from FL - but they dont have a scholly. So - they pull yours. So - now you have no scholly - 2 years away from graduation - and your family is poor and cannot afford out of state tuition. What does GA think you will do - or do they care? Answer is obvious.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,309
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic