Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
polio
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 51

polio

Jul 7, 2020, 9:42 AM

Before a polio vaccine was developed, polio epidemics
were common in the United States. For example, in the immediate pre-vaccine era (i.e., early 1950s), between 13,000 and 20,000 paralytic cases were reported each year. After the development of the
inactivated (Salk) injectable vaccine in 1955 and thelive (Sabin) oral vaccine in 1961, the number of polio cases dropped dramatically. In 1960, there were 2,525 paralytic cases reported, but by 1965 this num-
ber had fallen to 61.

While I know this is not deaths but 13,000-20,000 people paralyzed a year is a huge deal. I remember as a kid the thought of having to live in an iron lung was just terrifying. For you youngsters look up iron lung. It was a machine you had to live in with just your neck sticking out. The machine had to help you breath due to paralysis.

The point is they had no idea if there would ever be a vaccine and the fear was terrible. Those of you old enough remember parents making kids take a nap after school as they thought rest would help ward off the virus. But they still had to keep on living, play sports, go to school and just try and be as careful as possible.

The WSJ had an excellent article on how people have forgotten until around the 1950s pandemics/ disease outbreaks were a part of life and very common. Just look at the deaths in Wars prior to WWII. Dysentery, flu, typoid, malaria killed 100,000s of thousands.

We must protect the vulnerable etc for sure but just as we have done throughout history we must continue to function as a society. Schools etc must re-open, sports played, with precautions of course and maybe even no fans. Unlike the "old days" we now have a media and culture that stokes fear and attempts to intimidate and shame. Time for the silent majority to stand up. Quit cowering to the mob and especially the teacher unions who are just trying to use this to leverage more schools funds and claiming it all about the kids.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: polio

Jul 7, 2020, 9:50 AM

Last paragraph is spot on.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2020, 10:02 AM

President Roosevelt, one of the greatest, four terms, was crippled by polio and had to wear leg braces. 1932-45.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2020, 10:11 AM

I wouldn't say that everyone just went about their lives normally.

https://www.npr.org/sections/npr-history-dept/2015/04/10/398515228/defeating-the-disease-that-paralyzed-america

2) How was the public responding — what precautions were people taking, what myths were being circulated? "The public was horribly and understandably frightened by polio," says Oshinsky, who grew up in Queens, N.Y. "There was no prevention and no cure. Everyone was at risk, especially children. There was nothing a parent could do to protect the family. I grew up in this era. Each summer, polio would come like The Plague. Beaches and pools would close — because of the fear that the poliovirus was waterborne. Children had to say away from crowds, so they often were banned from movie theaters, bowling alleys, and the like.

3) What cultural changes occurred in America as a result of the polio outbreaks and as a result of its cure? "Rumors spread that soft drinks were responsible — or too much rain or heat," Oshinsky says. "In some places people stopped handling paper money and refused to shake hands.

I'd say that if the technology existed back then to do school or work from home that many people would have done so. For the record, I have a child in elementary school and I'm hoping they return to school this year. I just don't think it's as simple as saying everyone went about their normal lives back then or they would have done so with this back in the day. Technology is different, and it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Re: as i stated

Jul 7, 2020, 10:27 AM

We did take precautions such as naps, etc. And as I also said we tried to be as careful as possible, that included the swimming and all that stuff. So I certainly did not say we lived just a normal life as we took precautions. I acknowledged the fear was terrible but yes we did try to live a pretty normal life. We never did a complete shutdown, we didn't close schools, etc, at least not in Sumter, SC.

Re tech crap

Jul 7, 2020, 10:38 AM

And technology don't mean crap to especially those elementary kids who need to be in school for the benefits of social interaction, etc. The American Academy of Pediatrics and others are starting to weigh in on the cost of kids not in school. Molly Spearman just released last week there are over 16,000 kids they cannot account for. I had a teacher friend who said she had 2 or her 24 students checking in for her high school class after quarantine.

I took many online classes in my 27 year Army career and none were like in person classes.
Sorry but you cant teach gunnery (Artillery officer) online. We had to learn how to use the aiming circle to get the battery online, we had to touch the howitzers to learn how to load, pack the powder etc.

And I don't want someone operating on me that learned to operate online !!

Re: Re tech crap

Jul 7, 2020, 10:57 AM

I agree on all of that. I want my kid back in physical school as soon as possible for the reasons you're laying out there. I'm not saying that e-learning is an acceptable long term solution. I'm only saying that it's hard to compare how thing were done back then to now because e-learning for school, and computers to work from home were not options back then.

I really think that's one difficult thing to our current situation. There really isn't a 100% best way of doing anything. It's for that reason that I feel regardless of your political views that we all(most of us at least) can at least admit that our leaders including Trump are in a no win situation at the moment. If you decide to shut things down and implement a ton of restrictions then you have half the population mad that you're taking away their freedoms. If you decide to do nothing at all then you have half the population mad at you for not doing anything. If you decide to do something in the middle then you still have people saying you didn't do enough, while other people say you're doing too much.

i agree

Jul 7, 2020, 11:15 AM

It is no-win and I know the trial lawyers are just waiting to sue school districts, the State, businesses if anything goes wrong.

But my point is this is where leaders have to get the best information available and lead. They can't cower the teacher unions, etc. Trying to please everyone you will please no one.

As we did in the military you develop the best plan you can with the intelligence you have and drive forward. AS we always said men die while you try and create the perfect plan. Sometimes you just have to charge that machine gun nest before they drop artillery on you.

And as we also said you plan the best you can but all that usually goes out the window of first contact and then you adapt.

WE at least have to try and get them back in school and then maybe adjust.

People seem to be fine with killing each other

Jul 7, 2020, 10:17 AM

by murder, manslaughter, war, and accidents, and fine with killing ourselves with suicide, diet, sloth, substance abuse and lifestyle but we just can’t seem to handle being killed by something out of our control.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: People seem to be fine with killing each other

Jul 7, 2020, 10:28 AM

you are sadly so on point here. the violence issues and deaths of kids in recent days are very chilling reminders. this doesnt just happen in tough neighborhoods. my daughter and son in law live in a nice subdivision. one summer day dad and son in law had an altercation. they drew guns and started blasting. a sister in law was shot in the arm. fortunately no other injuries. DIL ran away to avoid arrest. His wife is on the school board. now this was 5-6 years ago not this past weekend. it does seem people have just lost their minds and the first response is grab a gun, fire away, and ask questions later. it is beyond frustrating

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow...

Jul 7, 2020, 10:32 AM [ in reply to People seem to be fine with killing each other ]

doesn't take many words to state the truth

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I lived through those days.

Jul 7, 2020, 10:41 AM

I went to elementary school with several schoolmates who wore braces.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I lived through those days.-I did not though

Jul 7, 2020, 11:03 AM

I am of an age where I could have. I remember vaguely getting the vaccine and boosters but that is about it. I had an adult colleague with braces once I left school but really never saw much of the result first hand

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2020, 10:44 AM

Childhood illnesses are coming back in New York becsuse a religious sect refuses to get their kids vaccined.

Jul 7, 2020, 11:06 AM

That's why everybody had so many kids back then you always planned to lose a few.

Replies: 14
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic