Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
soft fans = soft team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 2,138

soft fans = soft team

Nov 29, 2012, 6:43 PM

Sometimes us fans need to look in the mirror. So many on this board claim our team is soft. Well as someone who has followed this program longer than a lot of you have been born I can say that may be the team has started to reflect what I see as a soft bunch of fans.

I understand society as a whole is pampered this days; technology has made all of us softer but many of the fans who attend Clemson games these days are not cut from the old cloth. I think some of it has to do with the fact that we have priced out the "blue collar" fan. We had some die-hards that cannot afford what it cost now to have a decent seat. What many of you would now probably laugh at and call "red-necks" were #### good and rowdy fans!! Clemson controlled the rural parts of the State.

When is the last time a QB at Clemson had a hard time hearing. May be 05 Miami, 07 BC. In 1978 we went TO NC STATE and made so much noise they could not hear in there own stadium. IN THERE OWN STADIUM !!!! Look it up young ones. I guess you can just GOGGLE IT

The taking of a time-out for crowd noise was started because of Clemson. 1983 (Ballon Game) Boomer Easion had to beg the officials to calm the crowd. When is the last time we lost a time-out for crowd noise. I know it is a little different with silent counts and stuff but you get the point.

In 1977 the Hill full hours before the Notre Dame game. I could go on and on. Ask Tim Bourett. The ND coach was guoted as saying what have we gotten ourselves into.

We did not ##### about the game time. They were all at 1:00. It was not all about the tailgate it was about the game on trying to make life as miserable for the opponent as the team. We loaded up a big thermos of coffee or other beverages for some. We did not have some fancy little tail-gate. You grabbed a hotdog in the game or just packed a lunch.

I think some things have changed since Clemson is no longer so grounded it is agricultural background. Many of us were tough kids just glad to get to Clemson and out of farm work. Heck the team in the 50s with Coach Howard had to sod the field. Can you imagine the team now sodding the field? If you lost to Carolina you had to keep wearing the "RAT Hat". Kids these days would die if they had to wear a RAT HAT.

So look it the mirror Tiger fans when you call the team soft. I think the team and fans go hand and hand. The fans to me set the enviroment as much as the team. It all works together. So I ask you are you doing your part ? Are you a whiner about game times, the weather, etc ? We do not need whiners, we need some tough SOB fans like the old days. We expect the coaches and players to do their part but what about us. I can tell you from what I have seen we have not. How many times have people around you been asked to sit down ? So quit your whining and do something. Don't give me the a went to every game, pay some much money to IPTAY. Just being there is not the issue it is what you do when you get there.

So please before you cast those stones look in the mirror. ARE YOU SOFT ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: soft fans = soft team

Nov 29, 2012, 6:50 PM

GOGGLE IT!

You may have just coined the next T-net phrase of the Germans, landblasted, grade of slaw and "loose" variety.

Great post and will GOGGLE the references!***

Nov 29, 2012, 7:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PLEASE make this happen.

Nov 29, 2012, 9:31 PM [ in reply to Re: soft fans = soft team ]

"Goggle it" should absolutely be the new phrase around here.

I remember those days! I'm with you! GO TIGERS!***

Nov 29, 2012, 6:52 PM

Post of the week!!***

Nov 29, 2012, 6:53 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was remember those good times in the Valley.

Nov 29, 2012, 6:56 PM

Go Tigers.

I diagree. I come from a pretty rowdy class of Tigers

Nov 29, 2012, 6:57 PM

1978-1984 . We had spirit , blew up the balloons, wore the overalls, made away games home games and won the NC.

What I saw , from where I was standing, was a great effort by Clemson students and Central Spirit. I can't speak for anywhere else in the stadium. It seemed pretty rockin from where I was.

I just got on so I do not know yet about some saying our team is soft but I will look at it and vent accordingling.

Great to read a passionate post from a fellow salty old Tiger1

GO TIGERS !

I do agree that the prices have changed the dynamic

Nov 29, 2012, 7:07 PM

More wine and cheese folks now maybe than in the good ole days. That is a shame.

But even back in the day, I loved a good tailgate, the comraderie.

yeah.. i remember going to games in the snow

Nov 29, 2012, 7:05 PM

bare footed.... uphill BOTH Ways....

These kids today don't know nothing about nothing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Wow. Just when you think tigernet cant be any more stupid

Nov 29, 2012, 7:09 PM

Blaming the fans?
Really?
If we have that much of an impact, I want my f'n 2011 ACC Championship Ring.....

Most

Nov 29, 2012, 7:20 PM

of the folks on this board just live to whine.

I was at that 1978 State game! It was awesome!!!

Nov 29, 2012, 7:22 PM

State's quarterback looking to the refs for relief . . . for relief from the visiting Tiger fans cheering so loud!!!

In the fourth quarter, Clemson fans were chanting lyrically "Our Brown's better than your Brown", as our Lester Brown tore up the State defense, and State's notable running back, Ted Brown, was held in check by the Tiger D!

We pounded them, 33-10!!

Go, Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there too ! Thanks for the memory

Nov 29, 2012, 7:25 PM

One of my fondest .

Loved the roadies back then .

Re: I was at that 1978 State game! It was awesome!!!

Nov 29, 2012, 8:04 PM [ in reply to I was at that 1978 State game! It was awesome!!! ]

Remember the "Ted Who?" signs?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought this post was gonna suck,

Nov 29, 2012, 7:30 PM

but it's ####### spectacular, well said sir.

Nov 29, 2012, 8:06 PM

The last time we lost a timeout form crowd noise was shortly before they changed the rule and no longer penalized the loud crowd...about 20 years ago or so.

I was there for plenty of lost timeouts, beginning in 1978.

Gotta totally agree

Nov 29, 2012, 8:08 PM

I was walking around yelling USC SUCKS! pregame and people were looking at me like I had just cursed out their grandmother to her face. In fact, got into an argument with some Ms. Priss Clemson fan who said I was making us look classless. CLASSLESS??? Give me a break. I HATE USC, SCAR, SOUTH CAROLINA, THE #####, THE GAMECOCKS, THAT TEAM DOWN SOUTH, or WHATEVER you wanna call them, and I D@MN sure am gonna express those feelings when we play them.

Clemson fans have something stuck up their butts right now and it honestly p-isses me off. I live in Oklahoma and you attend an OU-Texas game and all you hear is "OU SUCKS!" or "TEXAS SUCKS!" You feel the hatred in that game. Heck, you hear "TEXAS SUCKS!" at any OU game. That's how much they hate 'em. And it's not just students, everyone yells it. It generally gets the loudest yell during the back and forth Boomer and Sooner chant. At the end, someone yells TEXAS and everyone else yells SUCKS!

Back to the point, though, I'm tired of Clemson fans thinking the tailgating and being polite to our visitors is what sets us apart. Sure it's a nice thing and all, but honestly, when you get inside Death Valley, your @$$ better be yelling your fool head off and quit looking at people like their insane for cheering at a football game.

Its all bout the tailgating right now ...

Nov 29, 2012, 8:20 PM

People will readily pay hundreds for a certain parking pass, then cry about having to pay face or over face for a ticket.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2012, 8:30 PM

Sorry for the long rant. One of you summed up my page of writing in a sentence. We have become a wine and cheese crowd. I guess UNC, UVA and the ACC wine and cheese crowds finally broke us down. I guess some of you got tired of being called red necks so you just decided to join them. Enjoy your tailgate with your wine and cheese

come on brother Tiger.

Nov 29, 2012, 8:43 PM

would you rather be anything else ?

At the end of the day, would you rather be associated with a university that is dedicated to the advancement of agriculture in our great state, or one that looks at paintings down the road.

Farming Is a huge part of the SC economy. CU is a big part of that .

the noise level at our stadium sure has changed***

Nov 29, 2012, 9:35 PM

Nov 29, 2012, 10:02 PM

Those 50's teams under Howard were not that good. Look it up! I don't remember the team sodding the field. You can have the "rat" days. Stuck up cadet officers abusing freshmen. Most of them would be afraid to go one on one with you.
56 grad

Replies: 22
| visibility 2,138
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic