Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Under Armour game announcers say Clemson class will
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Under Armour game announcers say Clemson class will

Jan 1, 2017, 2:41 PM

be small. He said Tiger fans should be glad as it means most of our players are coming back. I don't understand how it is just fact that we will only have 13 or 14 recruits and we have Watson, Gallman, and Scott leaving early. I guess if that didn't happen, we'd only have about 10 recruits. How do SEC schools sign 26 every year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

are you saying that Dabo may be pulling a Spurrier

Jan 1, 2017, 2:43 PM

by neglecting recruiting and running our program in the ground?

sounds like that's what you want to say... it's ok...

you can say it

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: are you saying that Dabo may be pulling a Spurrier

Jan 1, 2017, 2:47 PM

these small classes add up, it could come back to bite us next year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just don't want to be in a position where we have to sign

Jan 1, 2017, 2:48 PM

38 next year to fill out our roster...

very possible though

Next year is a small class as well, 2019 will be a big class

Jan 1, 2017, 2:49 PM

Nm

so you are saying we may need to sign 48-50 in 2019 in order

Jan 1, 2017, 2:51 PM

to fill out our roster?

It sounds like Dabo may have gotten complacent, and that could bite us big time

O M G***

Jan 1, 2017, 3:43 PM

Re: I just don't want to be in a position where we have to sign

Jan 1, 2017, 2:51 PM [ in reply to I just don't want to be in a position where we have to sign ]

quick math would suggest 38-50. Hopefully some can count back to all these years we under recruited.

Jan 1, 2017, 3:00 PM

You guys realize we are limited to 85 on ship at any given time?

Jan 1, 2017, 3:50 PM

yes, but it sounds like we could lose up to 50 in 2018.

As long as the small classes add up to 85, then you are

Jan 1, 2017, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Re: are you saying that Dabo may be pulling a Spurrier ]

good my friend!

Re: Under Armour game announcers say Clemson class will

Jan 1, 2017, 2:43 PM

Because they cut guys that don't pan out and we don't. Also they take some riskier guys who might not make it in academically here

We have 14 spots only if DW4 AND AS3 both leave early.

Jan 1, 2017, 2:44 PM

Jan 1, 2017, 3:15 PM

I personally look at attrition as a bad thing unless you're just plain carrying a lot of dead weight.

I myself just don't see the dead weight on Clemson's roster. We could maybe lose 1-2 QB's, but I'd personally hate to lose Kelly Bryant the athlete even if he doesn't win the starting gig because whether it is as a QB, a WR, a S, even an OLB, the guy is an NFL-caliber athlete somewhere.

We'll probably see a RB transfer, which means Oh My are we getting thin there now that Cordarrian Richardson looks to be ineligible. CJ Fuller and Feaster will almost certainly shoulder the load but are we going to have anyone behind those two? We need more RB's on the roster, not less.

We lose Mike Williams and probably Artavis Scott at WR to the NFL after the National Title Game. That stings. After that if you lose anybody you start wincing even more because these are blue-chip-type NFL talents pretty much across the board. I look at Cain, Renfrow, McCloud, Trevion Thompson, Cornell Powell, Diondre Overton, etc, and I see a bunch of guys who can legit aspire to play Sundays. A big part of what's made Clemson more dangerous this year is we're rolling 5-6 dangerous receivers at opponents all game long and it just flat-out grinds their legs off. Which is why you see plays late where it looks like, say, Deon Cain is just jogging past defenders, largely because he is. So who would you be willing to part with? These guys are talented, and even with Scott and Williams gone probably remain the big strength of the team.

I don't see a lot of dead weight at OL...especially if we lose a former blue chip like Jake Fruhmorgen. Love what Pollard is done but when 2 of your top 3 OT's are true froshes you don't have a lot of spare depth at tackle. We've got slightly better young depth inside with guys like Falcinelli, Mav Morris, John Simpson, Gage Cervanka and Noah Green waiting in the wings but you still wouldn't want to lose any of them because they're all either potential starters or at the very worst valuable-depth guys who wouldn't get you killed if they had to step in and start, and some - like Simpson - are probably upgrades over the long term once they develop a bit. Clemson had a problem with a lack of quality numbers, size, and bodies on the OL, now that we're passable on the OL the last thing you want is to start losing them.

Tight end? Garrett Williams is indispensable as a blocker. Milan Richard is still putting it together more than you'd like but he's an NFL talent if he does. Cannon Smith looks valuable at a big-bodied blocker/in-line tight end, and coaches are grooming Shadell Bell as a Brandon Ford, an off-the-line WR/TE tweener who does his damage down the field, and he's got an equivalent physical toolset to Ford. Again, not a lot of guys you'd just "cut".

You look at the defensive side, you see a lot more of same. A lot of quality, not a lot of dead weight.

Clemson is, at the end of the day, a young team - almost as young in fact as Ohio State, which was the least-experienced team in FBS coming into this year. We're losing some key guys to the draft; we are not losing a lot of guys. And I personally think that's a very good thing because it means there's not a lot of goats on the roster and Clemson's coaches did very well in evaluation.

Jan 1, 2017, 4:35 PM

Thanks q for the wonderful breakdown. Please correct me if I'm wrong but if I followed your logic, you are saying that whereas we may have a couple years of small classes, the talent and the way Dabo has it setup for recruiting the talent level and positioning we can;
A) offer preferred w/o that step up like ren ren a scholly thus the less people we lose or need and
B) if we do need a bigger class it will be minimal and the more time we have to develop the new talent.

Dabo always says we want to win but we want to do it the right way. Dabo and staff are bringing in the talent now like a big dex that can play right away so again a little bigger class won't create a talent gap.

Sounds smart to me but what do i know. Sounds like what he always says, we're built to sustain the future... imo it sounds like the bama/saban formula.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow some of you.....

Jan 1, 2017, 3:36 PM

I hope some of you are just playing as far as Dabo under recruiting will bite us, please please tell me you aren't that stupid? Every year you recruit to a number and that number is 85 and thats it, so if Clemson can sign only 13 or 14 there is a reason for that. THAT WILL PUT THEM AT THE ALLOTTED AMOUNT OF 85, JESUS CHRIST I HOPE A COUPLE OF YOU ARE PLAYING...... Also Dabo might be a scholarship or 2 under the 85 so he can give a walk-on who has earned a scholley a scholarship.

Re: Wow some of you.....

Jan 1, 2017, 4:15 PM

I am sympathetic with your frustration, about people knocking Dabo's recruiting practices but could you please use a less blasphemous phrase to express it?

Go Tigers!

Jan 1, 2017, 3:47 PM

Dabo doesn't over recruit because he is not going to pull scholarships and leave players with no place to go like the SEC and other schools do.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

this is one reason....

Jan 1, 2017, 4:20 PM

Teams/Schools

1. University of Missouri – 9 Arrests/Citations/Charges

T2. Auburn University – 7 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T2. University of Georgia – 7 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T2. University of Nebraska – 7 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T2. University of South Carolina – 7 Arrests/Citations/Charges

T3. Mississippi State University – 6 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T3. University of Colorado – 6 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T3. University of Miami – 6 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T3. University of Notre Dame – 6 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T3. Washington State University – 6 Arrests/Citations/Charges

T4. University of Florida – 5 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T4. University of Illinois – 5 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T4. University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) – 5 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T4. University of North Dakota – 5 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T4. University of Wyoming – 5 Arrests/Citations/Charges

T5. Baylor University – 4 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T5. Florida State University – 4 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T5. Indiana University – 4 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T5. Los Angeles Rams – 4 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T5. Texas A&M University – 4 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T5. University of Alabama – 4 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T5. University of Iowa – 4 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T5. University of North Texas – 4 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T5. University of Oklahoma – 4 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T5. University of Tennessee at Chattanooga – 4 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T5. Youngstown State University – 4 Arrests/Citations/Charges

http://arrestnation.com/2017/01/yearly-roundup-2016/

Re: this is one reason....

Jan 1, 2017, 4:25 PM

Wow - 5 of the top 6 offenders are SEC schools? I would never have dreamed that.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic