Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What was worst loss to USuCk?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

What was worst loss to USuCk?

Nov 22, 2017, 9:14 AM

I dont remember the year, but we were at home and the USC backup QB, who looked like lurch from Adams family ran touchdowns on us. 5 or 6 years ago?...was there anything worse?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What was worst loss to USuCk?

Nov 22, 2017, 9:22 AM

1983? Up 21-0 at halftime, lost 22-21, maybe 1984

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2017, 9:35 AM

That was ‘84 and my first Tiger/Coot game at 10 years old. I saw how those fans acted & actually had a grown (drunk a$$) male get in my face yelling “Clemson sucks” on my way out of the stadium. I’ve hated everything about them ever since, so to me ANY loss to that bunch of nothings is the worst

Nov 22, 2017, 9:50 AM

1975 - absolutely!

Jeff Grantz led Usuck to a 56-20 beatdown at WB. The whole season of 2-9 was the worst! Young fans may think other losses have been bad, but you don’t have a clue. Clemson’s BOT got a ear full and made a commitment to change the program. The Ford era followed for a reason.

Usuck got the same vibe from last season and I just hope our team and staff understand what we are walking into Saturday. While I believe the game will be won by Clemson, the hostility will be quite evident. Our fans best be prepared. The 1987 loss, 20-7 when Rodney Williams was QB also remains a sour taste, but Coach Ford got his revenge 45-0 two years later.

Go Tigers!

Nov 22, 2017, 10:12 AM

I was there. The coots were up 49 to 20 with less the 2 min to play. There entire first team was still in the game when grantz ran for the final score. Tigers (at least the fans) were pizzed at the coots trying to run up the score. In my mind this game was the beginning of Clemson rating is dominance of the rivalry.

In all the Clemson blowouts against the coots we have played our 2nd and 3rd teams in the third and fourth quarters

Class and sportmanship are not to be found anywhere near the coots.

Nov 22, 2017, 3:35 PM

I was there too. Steve Carlin was a real class act.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

That was 1984... and that is also top of my list

Nov 22, 2017, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Re: What was worst loss to USuCk? ]

That was their greatest team to that date by far and we did go up 21-0, but my recollection is that it was 21-3 when we let them score a TD right before halftime; it was 4th and goal from about the 10 yard line and they missed a field goal, but we were offsides. They decided to go for it and pulled off a trap play from the 5 yard line to score. You could just feel the momentum shift at that point.

I forget the rest of their scores except they scored a TD with about 3 minutes to go to tie it at 21, and had to make the PAT to go ahead. They miss, but we had 12 men on the field... they make the re-attempt.

Then, with what should have been plenty of time, our 2-minute offense looked very inept and turned the ball over on downs. They run the clock out and the infamous "roll the ball" incident between their no-name QB and William Perry takes place (they printed T-shirts, bumper stickers, etc. with a picture of it).

Still eats at me... now I really want to beat the crap out of 'em this Saturday!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were 7-3 and they were 10-1 ... they'd just lost to Navy

Nov 22, 2017, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: What was worst loss to USuCk? ]

... and we were on the tail end of our NCAA/ACC probation. That Tiger team was not particularly motivated all year long. SCARwas very motivated because had actually (and legitimately) been entertaining designs on the MNC until the week before.

We probably should have won, but it would have been a big upset if we had. That was a talented SCAR team.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Talented maybe but also juiced!!!

Nov 22, 2017, 6:19 PM

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For me, 1987 sucked the most***

Nov 22, 2017, 9:30 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For me, 1987 sucked the most***

Nov 22, 2017, 9:40 AM

1958 ranked #10 lost 26-6.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

R-O-D-N-E-Y ! ... R-O-D-N-E-Y !

Nov 22, 2017, 10:36 AM [ in reply to For me, 1987 sucked the most*** ]

That was two really good, highly ranked, pretty evenly matched teams and the home field advantage at night actually seemed to make the diffrence I thought.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2017, 9:55 AM

but it lead to our taking football seriously.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yep, nothing else even remotely close in my book.

Nov 22, 2017, 10:05 AM

56-20 Bad Guys at Willy B, for you young'uns that don't remember that far back. It was 20-7 at halftime, and there was a controversy at the end of the half, where we should have had enough time on the clock to kick a relatively short field goal, but refs called end of the half. I still think the game may have turned out completely different if we kick and make that FG going into the locker room. but, we'll never know.

Oh, well, we got them the next year in the Valley, 28-9. Just goes to show how fast it can turn.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2017, 9:58 AM

1975! Chickens won big 56-20 if I remember correctly. SC called timeout to score last game instead of running clock out. Many years ago? Yes but they are still the same.

Nov 22, 2017, 10:10 AM

And they complain about last year's TOs.

Nov 22, 2017, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: What was worst loss to USuCk? ]

And they complain about last year's TOs.

Nov 22, 2017, 11:17 AM

To me it was 84 and 13.

1984 yeah Coots had a good team that year but you gotta remember at the beginning of the season the Tigers were picked as one of the favorites for a run at another NC. Supposed to be the most talented team Ford had to date, even better than the 81 team and were highly ranked at I believe #2. Then the ACC dropped that extra year beyond what The NCAA had done and it was like they all of a sudden didn’t give a ####, can’t say I really blame them. I hate Swaffie to this day cause he ramrodded that ####.

Up 21-0 and then basically just lay down, I was so pissed. Was on the hill that day, got drunk as #### in Johnstone afterwards.

2013 - you know #### well the Tigers were the better team and they were supposed to stop the streak at 4 that year but they just gave that game to them with all the turnovers. I knew from the first drive when the Tigers drove it down their throat and then Chad got cute with the trick play that got intercepted in the end zone, it was going to be a long day. You could just see it in their eyes after that. They were so wound up to beat them and then bam it was like letting the air out of a balloon, six #### turnovers.

Nov 22, 2017, 11:58 AM

56-20 Jeff Grantz ran wild.

That beat down was much like the 5-bomb. It brought the entire Clemson community together for a bigger/broader commitment to football.

The last one...

Nov 22, 2017, 2:30 PM

And if they ever win another one my response will remain the same. The last loss will always be the worst loss.

Re: The last one...

Nov 22, 2017, 7:21 PM

Any of them. Losing to the coots is always bad.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic