Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Legacy Student question - advice please
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Legacy Student question - advice please

Dec 8, 2012, 10:35 AM

I graduated from Clemson in 1981. After graduation - I have been fairly successful in the business world - but in doing so - have lived in multiple states, China, Mexico and now reside in Florida. (Too many Gator fans - but at least I don't have chicken fans everywhere). Anyway - I now have a 16 and 10 year old that travel with me to Clemson at least once a year and away games when we can. The 16 year old wants to go to Clemson and the 10 year - at this point - wants to as well.
First - if you have looked at the out of state cost for Clemson - ouch. Even though I lived in SC for 20 something years - and went to CU - I would have to pay out of state costs - where someone who moved to SC a year ago would pay in-state. Second - while my daughter's grads are good - they are not great. She is above the 4.5 and just took the SAT so I don't know the score yet.
So - to anyone with knowledge.
1. How do I continue the family tradition? What if any leniency do they show for legacy families? How do you push on this? Who to contact?
2. Is there any legacy cost assistance? or is it as advertised to all?

Thanks guys.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no legacy assistance

Dec 8, 2012, 10:49 AM

I'm a Third Generation Tiger and my parents pay full price out of state. My brother is a senior in high school this year and wanting to come to Clemson. The good news is that the school has recognized losing too many out of state kids to SCAR because they have a better scholarship program. They have since changed the CU program so they give out more scholarship money. My brother and I's grades and SAT scores were pretty similar. I'm a junior now and got no help but he is in line to get $7K/yr in scholarship from the school. And if she is only 16 she has time to pull her grades up

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is no legacy assistance

Dec 8, 2012, 11:45 AM

Had same issue three years ago. Son had very good grades and SAT's. Got accepted but no aid was forthcoming, or in state tuition offer. If there are any legacy benefits then I didn't find them. However, given limited enrollment and state funding cuts I can see why.
I know at least three friends in Richmond whose kids received in-state rate offers from UsuC.

Several kids at my high school got the same

Dec 8, 2012, 1:16 PM

And I had better grades and SAT scores

Re: Legacy Student question - advice please

Dec 8, 2012, 10:49 AM

I am a fourth generation Clemson student who grew up out-of-state. You will not receive any out-of-state aid unless your children score above a 1350/1600 on the SAT. At this threshold you will have some of your Out-of-State tuition compensated. If you can get their SAT's up to 1400/1600 the entire out-of-state tuition can be dropped. Other than that you are not going to find much assistance. The SAT is more important than class rank to Clemson when it comes to out-of-state deduction. I would advise you to have your younger students rigorously prepare for the SAT as early as their freshman year of high school. Good luck.

Dec 8, 2012, 10:50 AM

I graduated in 82. I also am in FL. My son wanted to attend CU. He was accepted into Bridge, but chose to stay in FL for one year of CC. Was accepted for his Soph year and graduates in Aug. Bring a legacy does help, although not monetary. His HS grades were B, and average SAT. He got 3.5 in CC, and that seemed to clinch it, as demonstrating he could do college work. I also became more active in IPTAY, but not more than 500, a year.
I empathize with you. Getting him accepted as out of state was our primary goal. We have had to hussle to make finances work. I hope it turns out well for you and your children. Go Tigers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2012, 10:55 AM

Its been a while since i was involved in this but legacy applicants used to get a little help in the selection process but not much anymore. Getting accepted into Clemson is, as I'm sure you know, pretty competitive. Clemson has since at least the 80s had an in-state/out-of-state ratio of about 65/35%. So in some regards it may actually be easier to get accepted as an out-of-state student (presumably there are more in-state applicants).

As for cost, occasionally Clemson offers scholarships for out-of-state students that drops tuition down to the in-state rate. These tend to be awarded based on merit (the best students). I don't know of any price break given to legacy students. I would recommend looking at the list of scholarship given by individuals/organization for Clemson students. There are hundreds of them and that may be of some help.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good that you've been fairly successful in the business world, you'll need

Dec 8, 2012, 10:57 AM

it. I'm currently paying out of state for one daughter and will be paying for two at Clemson next year. Ouch is right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

My parents will be in the same boat

Dec 8, 2012, 11:01 AM

I don't tell them enough and I'm sure your daughter probably doesn't tell you enough but thank you for your sacrifices that allow us to go to a top-notch school that has been in our blood since the day we were born (at least it has mine)

Re: My parents will be in the same boat

Dec 8, 2012, 11:31 AM

I'm sure they know how grateful you are to not have to go to any of those schools in the triangle ;)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I actually never looked at any of them

Dec 8, 2012, 1:15 PM

Not smart enough to get into Duke, plus it is more expensive than CU. Got into UNC but hated the school when I visited and same with NCSU. Got a 1/2 scholarship to Auburn and was going there if my parents said they couldn't pay for CU. Luckily my grandfather (1st generation in our family to go to Clemson) agreed to help out.

thx for asking, i've wondered the same.

Dec 8, 2012, 11:04 AM

Woman at a game this season advised me to use my parents' address in Sakerlina. Not doing that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have closed all of those loopholes

Dec 8, 2012, 11:08 AM

My grandpa has a house on Hartwell that is now in my mom's and aunt's names and we were going to try to use that address to get in-state tuition but they had stopped allowing that practice about 5 years ago

Re: thx for asking, i've wondered the same.

Dec 8, 2012, 11:12 AM [ in reply to thx for asking, i've wondered the same. ]

> Woman at a game this season advised me to use my
> parents' address in Sakerlina. Not doing that.

not that easy. they'll look at the high school transcript to see where the student is domiciled. but it used to be pretty easy for the student to get state residency once they enroll. they'll need to get a DL, register a car, and file a separate tax return (can't be a dependent of parent).

Re: thx for asking, i've wondered the same.

Dec 8, 2012, 11:50 AM

The student also needs to have their name on a house or apartment lease for a year to be eligible for instate, and since you must live on campus as a freshman, you can't get in state until your junior year unless you beat the system somehow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of you people are fortunate enough to have

Dec 8, 2012, 11:08 AM

either had your education paid for or help soomeone.

Count your blessing. Not all are that lucky

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Does buying your kids an apartment in Clemson

Dec 8, 2012, 11:09 AM

help get in state tuition? Buy an apartment for your kids and their friends pay rent for it? Then does that help with the in-state tuition?

I am second generation and SATs are more important than grades were. I think legacy does help as a criteria like playing a sport or being in a club, but grades and test scores are main factors.

It would be cheaper for you to buy a condo

Dec 8, 2012, 11:11 AM

and have that be a primary residence for a year, then sell it after their done.

Not sure what the rules are, but I know it can be done.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Dec 8, 2012, 11:13 AM

Tell your kids to keep a 4.0 GPA, or above. My daughter is a sophomore at Clemson this year and receives a waiver of out of state tuition because she's part of the honors college.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Apply anyway

Dec 8, 2012, 11:14 AM

She will definitely get an In-state tuition waiver. They offer those to a lot of out-of-state students with good grades.

Don't let sticker shock scare you away from applying to certain schools. Most schools will offer aid and assistance packages after you are accepted. Just make sure she understands what you can and cannot afford.

legacy

Dec 8, 2012, 11:43 AM

as said above, legacy means jack for money.
It almost means jack for admissions. If two students are equivalent, and there is one spot left, the legacy will get it.

as far as tuition goes...I was a NC resident growing up, and we looked into establishing SC residency - we even had a house in SC. Long story short, it was a fairly difficult process that required more than a year. You had to show paying income taxes in the state, paying bills/utilities in the state, and have a mailing and physical address in the state for at least a year.

If that is your plan, better start looking for condos now and maybe rent them to establish income and bills.

For scholarships, they are pretty competitive. I had a 1430 and 4.65gpa in high school, and got my out of state tuition waived which was about 50% of the cost at the time (~$10,000). By the time my brother graduated 2.5 years after me without instate tuition, he was paying almost $30,000/year. If I hadn't gotten my scholarship, I probably would have ended up at my instate safety school, which was UNC (shoot me now). I do wonder how nice it would have been to be an instate student and get my same scholarship, which would have basically been a full ride.

so plan for cheaper tuition:
1. have smart - who don't screw off in college and lose the scholarship
2. have a plan to establish residency in SC which will take >1yr
3. do what I did and move to SC. now in 18 years when my son is ready to matriculate, we'll pay instate!

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Here is what you do

Dec 8, 2012, 11:44 AM

1) Make sure your kids graduate as high as possible in their class and do well on the SAT. The #1 item in the admissions formula is class rank perentile adjusted for how good (or bad) the high school is. Unless you contribute a crap load of $s to the academic fund you can't overcome bad grades and/or SAT. Also, the higher they are the more likely they will get scholarship offers.

2) Contribute at least $100 to the Clemson Fund for every year since you graduated if you have not already.

3) If you need an extra push put Clemson in your will - and obviously make sure they know it.

4) Have your kids apply to other schools that are competitive with Clemson like UGA and NC State. They like to "win" the good kids away.

5) Make an appointment with an admissions counselor and talk with them now and stay in touch.

Worse comes to worse you can probably get you kids in the bridge program - they go to Tri County and they get an automatic transfer to Clemson if they make their grades. While they are at Tri County they get treated like a Clemson student - game tickets, join clubs, intramurals, etc.

Dec 8, 2012, 12:18 PM

I definitely wouldn't be here if it weren't for the in-state scholarship. I finished 9th in my class with a 4.5 (our GPAs were tougher apparently) and a 2180 or something like that on the SAT.

The out-of-state tuition really is absurd, coupled with the fact that it is a scholarship, so when they approve these percentage increases, I have to add...say, the 7% out-of-state tuition increase or whatever it was, in full, and my scholarship doesn't change. It's still rough with the scholarship really.

I wish you luck in affording it. I'd advise making sure your kid fills out every scholarship application that they even come close to matching the requirements for. You never know when a thousand dollars or so will just show up from a random application.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic