Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My fellow tigers, I graduated from high school in 84,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

My fellow tigers, I graduated from high school in 84,

Aug 25, 2012, 12:34 AM

Clemson in 88. If you went to Clemson and you are from my generation, then you know Tiger Town is one of America's great college bars.

Triple T had one of the greatest album collections I've ever seen. With vinyl back in style, esp for audiophiles like myself, that collection is worth a small fortune. I'd love to have it. Not sure who does, but my guess would be Jay or Marshall. This fall I'll ask if I see one of them.

It was a sad day when they decided to become more like TD's - food, liquor, lights, but mostly, arrggghhhh CDs. Don't get me wrong, I love TD's, but TTT was the perfect polar opposite. I loved going in there for Happy Hour on a hot afternoon with it nearly black dark and cold inside, popcorn from upstairs, and playing Neptune/Submarine with ice cold $2 pitchers as Marshall cranked some serious rock on those Bose 901s hanging up front and those big PAs in the corners.

As I polish off my last Fat Tire and pop open a Yuengling, here's a little nostalgic trip down memory lane for those of you that enjoyed those days like me ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsKgR4hugVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXH-DyjsBd0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke3ua0kLhYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV8MNbBIlOI&feature=related

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Graduated Daniel HS in '80, CU in '85

Aug 25, 2012, 4:26 AM

Graduated Daniel HS in '80, CU in '85

To each his own and without offense to anyone where it was part of their
experience and memories, i've never understood the amount of fascination
with bars. I drank a little and i love music, but since i grew up near Clemson,
i spent 20 something years in the area. And since i've wandered a little in
later years and thought maybe the grass was greener elsewhere, i've come to
realize that the golden corner of upstate SC may be as good a place as any.

The nearby lakes, rivers, and mountains are breathtaking (though Hartwell
is struggling); and the campus is beautiful. Over the years, i've enjoyed
things like hiking the Foothills trail, rafting the Chattooga, and fishing and
swimming in Hartwell, Keowee, and Jocassee. As a kid and teenager, i
loved to wander the campus with friends and sneak into the game room,
play some pickup football on a practice field, run the track and see Edwards
there a few times, and of course football weekends buying tickets at the
game, sitting on the hill, and feeling like a big shot if we got an actual seat.
Sorry to wax sentimental and nostalgic, but since i've passed 50 that area
and the memories with it are among the best of my life as is probably with
a lot of people. And call me corny and mainstream, but i thought CCR had
some of the best music ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hvA0wWTIv4

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've got you beat by 15 years, but I've got a great

Aug 25, 2012, 7:40 AM

collection of CCR's top hits...er, on CD's (excuse me, please) that my son, older grandkids and their friends jam to whether at home or on my boat. Used to buy their hits on vinyl, 8-track, cassettes and mini's, but, alas, they've disappeared over the years. The most favorite among my crowd today: "Born on the Bayou."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've got you beat by 15 years, but I've got a great

Aug 25, 2012, 5:32 PM

Seems like you should have the greatwst hits CD from gropups like the Tams, 4 Tops, Temps, Otis, etc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, I do have a pretty good collection of those

Aug 26, 2012, 9:04 AM

among others, and what has surprised me is how friends/family in their 40's and younger like them. And regardless of what anyone may think of him, those same folks will always jam to Michael Jackson. HaHa.

Re: My fellow tigers, I graduated from high school in 84,

Aug 25, 2012, 7:08 AM

I graduated high school in 88 and Clemson in 92 so I caught the tail end of that golden era. TTT was a blast. One spot that never gets mention any more is Whirls on Friday nights though. Never went any other time but standing shoulder to shoulder in that packed bar was tons of fun as well for sing-along. I still get a chuckle out of those fond memories. Sad thing is I am not even sure I spelled it right but then I never really looked at the sign out front lol.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea, they did that when I was in school too. What nights

Aug 25, 2012, 4:46 PM

were the sing a-longs, I can't remember. And it wasn't all the time, but certain times of the year, like summer school. Or am I recalling incorrectly? We didn't go out there a lot cause it was always kind of late and we were well into getting our drink on and not wanting to leave downtown to drive out there. But one of the times we went, this was the song we sang. I will still smile thinking of this till I die. It was a freakin hilarious riot that night. I can picture that girl up on the bar holding up the words written on the poster board right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YekncNouZZA

TTT had great tunes. Especially upstairs, shooting pool.

Aug 25, 2012, 7:41 AM

Good times.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looking through a box just recently, I found about 50

Aug 25, 2012, 7:57 AM

or so old 45's from years ago. Most were in poor condition from my constant use. Somewhere I've, also, got a good many 33 1/3's packed away in their original sleeves, plus some reel-to-reel tapes. This is how stupid I am: when they came out with cassettes to replace 8-tracks, I asked a friend: "How the hel! did they get all that music on those tiny things?" lol When I was at Clemson from '65 to'69, most of us had some type of record players for the vinyls that we'd crank up and blast across the quadrangle with the most popular groups being the Soul Music artists. My son would've enjoyed the same groups you did. Good post.

Remember joining the mass exodus from the dorms for

Aug 25, 2012, 8:10 AM

a 1:00 game with someone's stereo speakers sitting on the ledge of the tin cans blasting out those old songs? Seems like I always remember a day when Tommy James and the Shondells (of all groups) was playing as I walked past the Calhoun mansion.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of the funniest incidences occurred when The Four

Aug 25, 2012, 8:32 AM

Tops were late arriving for a CDA-sponsored dance in the cafeteria. So, some enterprising students blasted Four Tops' songs from speakers onto the quad, which resulted in impromptu dancing among the crowd. The group arrived during this and thought it was pretty cool (to use an old term.)

Re: Remember joining the mass exodus from the dorms for

Aug 25, 2012, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Remember joining the mass exodus from the dorms for ]

Sitting on the ledges on game days (and others) is one of my favorite memories. Stayed in the tin cans from '83 - '85. Talked to the Tiger and helped him with the ice vest on B-5 sometimes too. Then would grab a booth at TTT after the game; green taps, sticky carpets, good music and good friends.

The most hilarious were the drunks that would climb

Aug 25, 2012, 8:41 AM

out on the ledges, which always prompted crowds yelling: "JUMP! JUMP!" lol

Re: The most hilarious were the drunks that would climb

Aug 25, 2012, 9:21 AM

used to climb out on A-9 ledge and D 6 ledge to get snow for snowballs. what was I thinking? much wiser now

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have to admit that I never did....Every roommate I

Aug 25, 2012, 9:25 AM

had threatened to push me off...and they were d@mn serious! lol

My freshman year was 84 and they had just outlawed going out

Aug 25, 2012, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Remember joining the mass exodus from the dorms for ]

on the ledges, which totally sucked. It was still ok in '83 right?

I loved during high school going up there for games and everyone grilling and hanging out on the ledges.

A good friend of mine refuses to this day to listen to

Aug 25, 2012, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Looking through a box just recently, I found about 50 ]

anything by Squeeze because it was played so much in TTT. Other music heavily in rotation then was the Cars, the Police, tons of Zeppelin, all the great classics from the 60s and 70s. I picked the songs I did for the OP because those were iconic songs/bands/albums at their peak during that time and they definitely match, or more aptly, "set" the mood and sound TTT was famous for during that period.

probably walked past you 100 times..graduated 89

Aug 25, 2012, 9:15 AM

from clemson..: )

I probably walked past you 100 times..graduated 89

Aug 25, 2012, 9:23 AM

HS in 84...5.5 year plan with work

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I often wonder how many people on TNET we'd recognize

Aug 25, 2012, 5:20 PM [ in reply to probably walked past you 100 times..graduated 89 ]

from school if we were all together. That's what is so cool about Clemson and the south, esp back then - even if you weren't friends with someone, everyone that hung out downtown was cordial, said hi, smiled, and had mutual friends.

One summer a buddy of mine did a summer engineering internship with the DOD in DC. After my summer session ended I went and saw him and crashed with for 2 weeks. Did the whole DC tourist thing. Had a blast and one night we ate a ton of crabs at a place on the bay.

Well, one night we did some bar hoping in Georgetown. Toto, we were not in Kansas. I went over to this table and said hey to some girls. My crowd grabbed me and said stick with us. I said, wow, those chics were serious biotchs. They responded, this is Georgetown, you only talk to people you came with. I was like, what? Are you kidding me? They weren't. It was the snobbiest place I've ever been.

I've met friendlier people in bars in Boston while up there on business. Even met 2 chics from there that graduated from Clemson. They heard my southern accent and asked where I was from. I said Charleston and that I went to Clemson. They said "we're from here, but we both went to Clemson too". And they had.

'65 - '69 it was Red Carpet, Study Hall, & the Tiger Den

Aug 25, 2012, 5:45 PM

Music was soul R&b....Tops, Tams, Temps, Otis, Wilson, Percy, Wilson, Jackie, and James.....all were great!

Re: '65 - '69 it was Red Carpet, Study Hall, & the Tiger Den

Aug 25, 2012, 6:07 PM

and Clarence

Ahhhhh yea .....

Aug 26, 2012, 1:22 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0WwD9qEyLE&feature=related

I thought TTT was the Red Carpet then TTT with the Study

Aug 26, 2012, 1:20 AM [ in reply to '65 - '69 it was Red Carpet, Study Hall, & the Tiger Den ]

Hall across the street. That's what I've always been told.

'89 CU grad, TTT regular

Aug 25, 2012, 6:49 PM

Ah the memories. Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. I remember:
> climbing up the fire escape on the building next door and hanging out on the roof.
> last call songs - Hank Williams Jr?, American Pie...
> "last call for alcohol"... “now get the f out!”
> graduation night Champagne
> walks home across Bowman
> quarters
> “ABC is in town!”

Anyone remember The Barrel Tavern? I think it was open for a semester or less, but it was pretty wild. I think it was on Sloan St.

And ....

Aug 26, 2012, 1:31 AM

Saturday night 12:01 parties in the Quad, esp after a big win like UGa.

And at closing they also always played ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwYcsMiB2UM

Wednesday night $.75 Moosehead & Molson @ Sloan Street.

TTT turning off the music and having on the big screen Dr. Suess' "How The Grinch Stole Christmas". Which to the best of my knowledge is the ONLY time they turned the music off other than Clemson football games.

That's a hilarious post, considering you graduated from USuC

Aug 25, 2012, 7:22 PM

in 1987.

"__________, __________, and __________ will vouch for me..

Aug 25, 2012, 7:26 PM

"..that I'm a Clemson grad."

When asked all 3 of them said, and I quote: "Never heard of him".

Something is not right upstairs with you, Faddy.

Riddle me this ....

Aug 27, 2012, 12:23 AM

When were you at Clemson?

If you were there around 83-86, who was Ann Duke? If you were a straight male at Clemson you knew who she was. Why was she so infamous?

What does the "TD's" stand for at TD's bar?

If you went to Clemson, Stanley, you should be able to answer those. I can.

Any Beta's on here from around 82/83-86/87? If so, I can tell you how "Cougars" got his nickname. You can confirm I'm right for Stanley.

Stanley, where were the cheapest kegs bought?

Who are Snake & Slug?

Who use to, maybe still does, own the most real estate in downtown Clemson? People use to joke he owned the whole town. Hint: It's NOT Ibrahim.

Who owned Tiger Town? Who was the manager?

I could pull nuggets like this out my rear for hours. Things most on this board after 4 or 5 years at CU don't know, but I do.

Where did TAPS take student pictures every year?

As Matt Damon's character in "Rounders" said to Teddy KGB, "I could go on bustin you up all night if I wanted".

I am with you brother

Aug 26, 2012, 9:28 AM

Graduated in 87 from Clemson.
Had my first college beer at Tigertown, 2$pitchers!

Was very dissapointed to visit many years later to find more of a bar/restaurant. Well lit, with sunlight flowing in.

Oh well, such is life.

I have moved on also, instead of cheap bud light pitchers, i will be sipping on great porters and stouts watching my tigers next saturday night!

Go Tigers!!!

The first beer I drank was a Bud in the tall-neck

Aug 26, 2012, 9:38 AM

bottle, which is still my favorite to this day with salt shaken inside. However, my most favorite "spot" remains JD on the rocks with a little branch chaser, which, unbelievably, I never sampled until after I left Clemson.

Point***

Aug 27, 2012, 12:09 AM [ in reply to I am with you brother ]

Re: My fellow tigers, I graduated from high school in 84,

Aug 26, 2012, 9:31 AM

I hear what you are saying about old bars. For me Lester's tiger den is where my fond memories are.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic