Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: Culture Change
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: Culture Change

Mar 20, 2017, 10:54 AM

Culture Change

Culture Change
Steve Spurrier talked about it. So did Lou Holtz. It seemed like an impossible feat, but they talked about changing the culture of South Carolina football and it appears both had brief stints of success in accomplishing that in Columbia.

This is what Clemson basketball i

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: Culture Change

Mar 20, 2017, 11:07 AM

I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, I don't think it can happen with the current Basketball Coaching Staff. I hope I'm wrong. Another season like this one, there needs to be a swift and immediate change. GO TIGERS!!!

Mar 20, 2017, 5:47 PM

GET READY!! U are going to get another this horribly bad or worse! we have NO PLAYER that can come close to JB

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Culture consists of all the things you listed ...

Mar 20, 2017, 11:09 AM

History, tradition, support, facilities, etc.

Changing "The Culture" is absolutely the key. The right coach can help. We've had a couple of good coaches who temporarily changed The Culture. It didn't last because the coaches quit on us.

I certainly hope we find the guy we need. And I hope he sees Clemson as a destination and not a stepping stone.

Finally ... I have to disagree that FSU or Va Tech have had a worse culture over the years or have a particularly better culture now. Both programs are on a bit of an up-tick, but they are no better off right now than Clemson has been at certain stages in the past. And certainly no worse off culturally over the course of their history.

How can you change culture with the same leadership?

Mar 20, 2017, 11:12 AM

How does he change his stripes? You can't read a book or visit other programs to gain a 'culture.' It has to be from the heart and after seven years, it seems that CBB is not a good fit for Clemson.

How can the culture change with a coach

Mar 20, 2017, 11:16 AM

Whose teams have consistently crumbled down the stretch in games?

Mar 20, 2017, 11:23 AM

The head coach is the one who changes the culture. He's the one who sells the program, develops the players, changes the way the players think and respond in pressure situations, etc. There is no better example of this than watching Dabo take over for Tommy. The fans feed off the results on the field/court. The fans believe when they've been given reason to believe. I agree we need a culture change, but it's not going to happen unless we get a coach who can do it. We need a complete overhaul in our basketball department from top to bottom in my opinion.

Mar 20, 2017, 12:31 PM

Dr C...you nailed it.Change will start with the leadership..the coach.

FIRE BROWNELL

Mar 20, 2017, 11:27 AM

That's the only first move in attempting to change the culture. Retaining him is retaining the culture.

Mar 20, 2017, 11:30 AM

Re ; CJ Spiller . For all those who still believe that TB was a good recruiter , uh NO !

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We need a bb coach that can actually recruit a Spiller or

Mar 20, 2017, 12:11 PM

Beer type of player.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We need a bb coach that can actually recruit a Spiller or

Mar 20, 2017, 5:45 PM

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!! what we have is a coach that can not recruit any players that could make 2nd team @ Duke or UNC

Only one has ever done that: Rick Barnes

Mar 20, 2017, 12:45 PM

But you nailed the problem.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously...

Mar 20, 2017, 12:51 PM

BB has to go. He has been here for seven LONG years. He clearly does not have the ability or desire to change the culture. The only way that happens is with a new coach. One of my knocks on Bowden was no sense of urgency to win right now. Swinney has that urgency. We need a basketball coach who believes we can do better right now, not a few years from now. Very disappointing to hear that he will be back for another season.

Mar 20, 2017, 2:28 PM

Are you advocating a coaching change Plyler?

Mar 20, 2017, 2:28 PM

Are you advocating a coaching change Plyler?

Deer Mickey***

Mar 20, 2017, 2:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Mar 20, 2017, 4:00 PM

The man that built the culture can't all of a sudden change it.

Mar 20, 2017, 4:59 PM

Coach Brad didn't build the culture. It has been here since before the ACC, regardless of what Mickey says. Barnes may have tried to change the culture, but with the exception of one class, he couldn't recruit. Did you ever stop and think that maybe Drad couldn't generate any interest in the Clemson job? Maybe no one wants it.
In the HISTORY of the ACC their are two coaches that are tied for the most ACC wins with 59 -Cliff Ellis & Brad Brownell

Mickey is dead wrong when he says the culture is a recent thing.

Mar 20, 2017, 6:41 PM

The culture was different by Oliver Purnell's fourth year....

Little John was actually considered one of the toughest venues in the ACC. Imagine that....

OP was a "blip" on the cultural radar ... and then he QUIT!

Mar 21, 2017, 11:36 AM

The Clemson hoops culture is so much older than anyone who reads or posts on Tigernet.

Oliver Purnell did not change it ... he only accentuated it by giving up and leaving.

And it's worth noting that OP's best years were when he had Shaka Smart by his side. Not so great before and only so-so afterwards.

And BTW, I am not supporting retaining Brad Brownell. Just stating facts.

Mar 20, 2017, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Plyler's Blog: Culture Change ]

Where did I say this was a recent thing? I have been watching Clemson basketball for over 40 years. This is no recent change.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2017, 10:03 AM

Your post is spot on. It's so clear that there needs to be a change in culture, it's ridiculous that we would settle on what we've seen the last few years.

I was there during the late nineties where the successes of the football program and basketball programs were flipped, mediocre Coach West teams and very competitive Barnes teams.

The basketball program created such a buzz and demand for tix I recall students needing to camp out for certain ACC matchups ...

There is so much wrong with the BB situation i will try to be brief:
1. BB should have never rec'd such rich buyout terms for unproven record of "success"
2. AD should never have that much autonomy in doing so w/out some kind of coaching performance clause
3. AD should man up and admit when it's not working out - have a short list of coaches (reading this wasn't the case with the WW situation)
4. CU Athletics need to be adopt the "Best is Standard" for all programs
5. Swallow the $3MM buyout, pay up to get a quality, proven coach (if we really spent $1.2MM on sending band to last 2 football games this really is a small amount)
6. BOTs need to put DR on notice that terms of prior contract, and acceptance of mediocrity are unacceptable to them, the University, Alumni and ultimate CUSTOMERS (the fans)

This whole thing is such a drain on the fan base ... TommyWestBowden v3.0

To change the culture, Clemson needs to step up and hire a proven coach.

Mar 20, 2017, 6:40 PM

Not someone who has had some 20-win seasons on the mid-major level, but a coach who has proven to excel at the high major level. A guy who can build and sustain a program. Someone who is confident, passionate, and who does things with class.

Of course, that coach will require a high salary. Clemson must be willing to pay it. Historically, we have not been willing to do that. Thus, we continue to get what we've always gotten.

Clemson needs to decide to support basketball as priority #1B in the athletic department, not a distant second. I'm not holding my breath.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

delaying the inevitable will not chance it,changing coaches

Mar 20, 2017, 6:59 PM

will

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic