Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UGA - Richt Article. Blasted
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

UGA - Richt Article. Blasted

Nov 4, 2014, 7:46 AM

There has always been a little criticism here and there. But, I can't recall Richt ever being blasted in this manner by media.

http://www.macon.com/2014/11/02/3399058_yet-another-big-loss-for-mark.html?rh=1

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UGA - Richt Article. Blasted

Nov 4, 2014, 8:29 AM

While I agree it is pretty frustrating to watch Richt coach over the years, too many stinkers against inferior competition but I just don't see the talent there to really win a national title. Besides Floyd on defense is anyone else a star? Besides Gurley and maybe Chubb is anyone else a star on offense? You need more than that to win a title in almost any conference in the country, much less the (snicker) SEC East.

I think he does everything with class, something a lot of coaches could learn from, FSU and USuCk especially. The whole article in general is pretty silly, I mean does anyone think Richt was trying to lose to that crap team in Columbia or Florida? They are inconsistent but on their best day can play against anyone in the country but they will have a hard time winning a title until they recruit the whole team and not just running back.

Serious question for any recruiting guru's out there. How many top 5 recruiting classes have Georgia had in the last 10 or 15 years? While stars don't always mean titles they usually can lead to a decent guide to see how good a team is overall. My guess would be that UGA ends up in the 10 to 15 range a lot and that is kind of where they end up at overall. I would also say that sometimes they remind of what Tommy Bowden did when he was recruiting for Clemson, he would have a high recruiting class but it would be only WR's in that class and would leave gaping holes in the defense or offensive line, this is what I think happens at UGA, they had a huge class with Gurley and Marshall in the same class but they didn't address the whole team's needs and thus they end up with wildly inconsistent seasons with huge highs and huge lows.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our Tigers have routinely gone in their back yard

Nov 4, 2014, 8:33 AM

and brought in many of the top level prospects from the peach state. Georgia is talent rich, and all the SEC teams along with Clemson and Lamecocks take lots of high end talent!!

Georgia has underachieved without question, but its not as easy to coach as we all think.

Go Tigers!!

Re: Our Tigers have routinely gone in their back yard

Nov 4, 2014, 8:45 AM

The dog went "Richting" again.

Nov 4, 2014, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: UGA - Richt Article. Blasted ]

Without going back to research the recruiting classes, I'd bet that most of his classes have been in the top ten. Unfortunately for him, a lot of that talent ends up being kicked out of school, like Crowell and many others.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He had Stafford, Moreno, and Green on the same team.

Nov 4, 2014, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: UGA - Richt Article. Blasted ]

And couldn't win the SEC East.

Re: He had Stafford, Moreno, and Green on the same team.

Nov 4, 2014, 10:41 AM

Not to mention Geno Atkins and Justin Houston.

Ouch!***

Nov 4, 2014, 8:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Nov 4, 2014, 8:59 AM

Wow, reading that article is like reading some posts here on T-net. In this guys opinion being a good man counts for little. I bet he probably respects Jimbo Fisher and no one can ever include his name and "good man" in the same sentence. Good men hardly stand a chance in this win at all cost world of College Football where liars, thieves, probable rapist, domestic abuser and those that proudly enable and defend them held up as examples of greatness! My God what a screwed up world!

That sounds like the same bullchit UT fans and writer...

Nov 4, 2014, 10:48 AM

said about Fulmer. UGAy fans keep whining and they'll end up with some turd on a stick like UT did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way. Georgia has some of the best high school talent

Nov 4, 2014, 11:26 AM

in the country. Tennessee has to recruit outside the state.

Richt is Tommy Bowden with better players....Nobody has done

Nov 4, 2014, 11:27 AM [ in reply to That sounds like the same bullchit UT fans and writer... ]

less with more

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Richt is Tommy Bowden with better players....Nobody has done

Nov 4, 2014, 11:28 AM

Especially in the SEC east.

Re: That sounds like the same bullchit UT fans and writer...

Nov 4, 2014, 11:42 AM [ in reply to That sounds like the same bullchit UT fans and writer... ]

Meh. Maybe.

There's a big, big difference though.

UGA is sitting in a state where there's only two major programs - UGA and GT - and one of them, GT, doesn't care diddly about recruiting. PJ goes and gets FCS-level talent for his option offense and then does whatever he's doing with his defense. I know a couple of Georgia HS coaches and they're amazed at how indifferent PJ's staff is towards them even when they're sitting on 4-star guys. And Georgia as a state produces close to 50 FBS-level prospects every year, and UGA gets first pick of those guys. They're also able to dip into Florida, the deepest talent pool of any state not called Texas. They're also better-positioned, geographically, to dip into the Low Counties in South Carolina even than the University of South Carolina is, and there's a lot of talent there too. So they're sitting in one of the most fertile recruiting territories of any program in America.

Tennessee is a state that might, in a good year, produce 15 or so legit FBS-level prospects. It's an artificially inflated program.

Richt has had a golden window to jump through, the last few years, with both UT and UF being down...and with Georgia Tech not even showing up in the recruiting scene. And he hasn't taken advantage of it. The window was there for UGA to absolutely dominate the East and get to the SEC Championship game every year. He didn't do it.

Richt is a good man and an OK coach, but nobody will ever confuse him with Nick Saban.

Well said***

Nov 4, 2014, 2:37 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic