Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kelly is clearly better
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Kelly is clearly better

Sep 13, 2015, 2:47 PM

Kelly with very limited PT continues to prove he is head and shoulders a much better quarterback than shuessler and has much more to offer to this offense.

Dabo claims shuessler is by far the # 2 guy. This seniority issue bothers me as Kelly needs to get more snaps because he will be the guy we go to if we need to win.

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kelly is clearly better

Sep 13, 2015, 2:49 PM

Agree 100 percent also see the same situation at rb.

Sep 13, 2015, 2:51 PM

No doubt. Fuller is going to be a stud

Kellyis easilyour best running QB and imo his arm looks

Sep 13, 2015, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly is clearly better ]

better than Schuesslers.Once he understands the playbook,#2 is in the books.

Kelly has more God given talent.

Nick has a better grasp of the system and knows more of the playbook.

We have opened up 20% of the playbook so where Nick does have an advantage on Kelly isn't being shown.

I know this is a message board and is meant for discussions, but I always shake my heads when arm chair QB's think they know more about our players than those that see them everyday.

Re: Kelly has more God given talent.

Sep 13, 2015, 3:37 PM

No pun intended....
But ANYONE can learn the play book....ANYONE!!

But executing it is a different story.

j/S

Sep 13, 2015, 5:16 PM

Yeah some nerd who plays computer all day could learn the playbook better. Does that mean he'd play better than Bryant? No

Sep 13, 2015, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Kelly has more God given talent. ]

Exactly. Just like last year when Cole Stoudt was the starter.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

Sorry I don't buy that

Sep 13, 2015, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Kelly has more God given talent. ]

Kelly knows "the playbook" I promise you. That's been his only job since he walked on campus in January.

It's about game reps, feeling the speed of the game, keeping your head, reading defenses, making adjustments. There's a lot to do that's much more difficult than stuffing the playbook in your head.

I don't think Schuessler will be able to get the job done under pressure. Anything he does will be very Cole Stoudt-ish. We won games last year because our defense dominated as the offense barely did the minimum.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL...

Sep 13, 2015, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Kelly has more God given talent. ]

that is what coaches wanted us to believe last yr about Watson when there was a qb controversy

I agree. I would say that Kelly is our best bet at the #2 spot. Our #2 spot needs an athlete who can make things happen when things break down. Sheus is NOT that guy. Sorry. Bryant IS. Nick may have a better grasp on the offense in the classroom, but it doesn't translate onto the field. JMHO.

Yep...I guess it's almost like the corporate world...

Seniority / Comfort level with the management still matters a lot!

How can the headcoot start Connor Mitch over Perry Orth?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

any updates on Kelly's injury?

Sep 13, 2015, 2:52 PM

hope he's good to go on Thursday.

Sep 13, 2015, 2:52 PM

My thinking is that if they were sold on Schuessler, they would have redshirted Bryant.

They're not going to publicly light up their current #2...nor should they. He's limited. They know it. I think every DC that watches tape now knows it. No point in publicly drawing and quartering the guy.

FWIW, I don't think Bryant is nearly ready either. We're pretty much flying without a net this year...again.

Sep 13, 2015, 2:54 PM

Kelly was really a problem for the program and Dabo had no choice but to release him!!!

uhhhhhh.......not that Kelly........

Sep 13, 2015, 2:57 PM

He meant Bryant

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: uhhhhhh.......not that Kelly........

Sep 13, 2015, 4:12 PM

I didn't know you fans were on a first name basis with these star athletes!!!

btw/ I knew who the op was referring to

Sep 13, 2015, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly is clearly better ]

The other Kelly silly...

Allthough I wish Chad Kelly nothing but the best and can only hope he matures as a person. He has the talent, but this team doesn't need that negativity within our program.

Sep 13, 2015, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly is clearly better ]

I agree :)

Sep 13, 2015, 2:53 PM

I agree. If we needed someone to actually beat a tough team I think Bryant gives us a better chance. Going into the ACC schedule though, it might be another month before there's garbage time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2015, 2:57 PM

yes he is a better athlete than Nick. But you don't know how well he can exicute. You guys would turn on him in a flash if he had to come in a game and lost it for us. Most of you had given up on the bowl game last year with Cole, but what Streeter did with him.
All you QB and O-Line experts -why aren't you coaching making the big bucks? Oh I know X-Box doesn't pay!

I think the fans have seen enough of

Sep 13, 2015, 3:01 PM

Kelly or just have the feeling he is special and wouldn't turn on him if he was messing up. I get a Proctor feeling from Nick and I think the bar is set low for him. He would feel the wrath instantly.

Sep 13, 2015, 2:53 PM

Kelly is really good. He can run and pass. i know we don't see what they do at practice but Kelly has looked like he should be 2nd string QB in both games so far.

Buddy who was at that game told me

Sep 13, 2015, 2:54 PM

it was kinda sad what little fanfare Nick got coming into the game and Bryant got a rousing applause. Clearly the fans know what they want. Schussler is the perfect buffer between protecting DW and Kelly. The question is how short is the leash on Nick if God forbid DW goes down in a real game ? I am guessing real short.

#2 Spot will be blatantly clear next year when Zerrick comes***

Sep 13, 2015, 2:55 PM

Unless we get to see Scheussler and Bryant with the #1's

Sep 13, 2015, 3:05 PM

then it's going to be hard to gauge.

Last night in the SCAR game we saw how good a walk-on QB with almost no experience can look when he gets to take meaningful snaps with the starters, rather than laboring behind the #2 OL with reserve WRs and RBs to go to.

Not saying that Scheussler would shine in the same situation. Just saying that it's hard to tell for sure.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Refreshing to see a "common sense" post.***

Sep 13, 2015, 5:05 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2015, 3:19 PM

I won't say that Dabo & Co are wrong about who is #2 at QB, but IMO, Nick has shown me absolutely nothing that indicates he should ever start a game if DW4 goes down for any reason. I'm not comfy with Kelly's lack of knowing the playbook, but at least I think he can escape problems a lot better than Nick. The ball hiked over his head that resulted in a GAIN instead of a huge LOSS is an example. Can someone please provide examples of Nick performing at the level of a starting QB. I'll be glad to change my mind if you can convince me.

Right now - we're in trouble at QB if DW4 goes down. Everyone in the stands knows it too. I bet that some of us had concerns about beating ASU when DW4 went out for a few plays. If you were betting, you probably thought that CLEMSON would not cover.

Sep 13, 2015, 3:28 PM

I know right, you'd think Dabo has been to every practice and watching film or something the way he talks

Here we go....

Sep 13, 2015, 3:35 PM

I don't think too many people will disagree with you.
I am sure if you cornered Dabo, he would tell you the
same. But I get the feeling, the plan is to bring Bryant
along slowly. As someone said...
-he has to learn the offense.
-and the staff doesn't want to destroy his confidence.

No doubt, the transiction is happening.

Why should I believe a man whose multimillion

Sep 13, 2015, 3:52 PM

dollar job is on the line? Everyone knows that anonymous people hiding behind a keyboard are much better at evaluating talent. I say "Free Tucker!!!"

Re: Why should I believe a man whose multimillion

Sep 13, 2015, 4:18 PM

While I agree with you for the most part, and had actually believed that Nick had to be much farther along this year, so far, I would say we have seen enough to say he's not very good. He got turned around on a couple of plays the first week, had very poor mechanics on several passes yesterday. Now, if he Coach says he's ahead of Bryant right now for knowing the offense, I believe it 100%. I think that a player that has been in the same system for 3 years has to know the playbook forward and back. My thing is this. We all believe Bryant has much more upside than Nick. I don't think there is argument from anyone on that. So why not give him a number of plays. Say 8. Just a number, whatever. Say Bryant, here is your 8 plays, that you will know like the inside of your hand. Be ready to run those plays if we call you in the 1st or the 4th Quarter. It not rocket science, is a common practice. Tajh supposedly had 80% the first year, 90 the next, etc. I trust in Dabo to the end, but it does seem that there is an issue there, and im not sure the solution.

Re: Kelly

Sep 13, 2015, 3:59 PM

you are correct about Kelly
he is far superior. He has the ability to make a "play" His ceiling is 10 times higher than the present number 2.

Swinney is at fault there. He has his favorites, whether they play well or not. Sometimes there is not enough pressure on him to win.

Anyone that knows anything about football and watches Kelly for a few series knows that he will be one of the good ones.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees.

It took Swinney quite a few years to realize he needed linemen and defensive ends.

He does have one sterling ability. He can recruit.

I've been saying that for two weeks; completely agree!

Sep 13, 2015, 4:08 PM

No way Shuessler can carry this team. If something happens, Shuessler will lost two games then Kelly will be the quarterback.

Sep 13, 2015, 4:10 PM

Fire dabo!

Why is this so hard to understand? It has nothing to do with

Sep 13, 2015, 4:13 PM

seniority or loyalty.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Why is this so hard to understand? It has nothing to do with

Sep 13, 2015, 4:32 PM

They do NOT want to understand! They just want to hate Dabo.
If he is so terrible about evaluating players and playing the best ones, how has he managed to win 10 or more games 4 years in a row?
Since we haven't seen Bryant playing with the 1's against the other teams 1's, we really don't have a whole lot to go on. The same goes for Scheusler. It's comparing apples and oranges. I firmly believe the coaches know way more about this than we do. I would much rather go with their thinking than a bunch of armchair QB's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They think that because Kelly looks better in mop up

Sep 13, 2015, 4:51 PM

against inferior competition that he therefore should be the number two qb and be getting more snaps than Nick. They are overlooking or blocking out the fact that his understanding of the offense may still be too limited or that he may not be mentally ready to take over when the game is on the line, as well as the fact that the coaches are very much aware of those things while there is no way for any of us to have a clue.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I'm sure some of these knowledgable posts give the coaches

Sep 13, 2015, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is this so hard to understand? It has nothing to do with ]

a few good laughs.

Loyalty

Sep 13, 2015, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Why is this so hard to understand? It has nothing to do with ]

makes more sense than anything else. You can see the natural talent Bryant has compared to Schuessler. I'm not saying it is right, but it is just like last year. You could tell Deshaun was better than Stoudt, yet we stuck with Stoudt 3 series too long against FSU. This time last year, people were also questioning why Howard was our starter over anyone really. By the end of the year, Howard was what, 5th on the depth chart?

Huh? I guess I don't get sarcasm or satire.

Sep 13, 2015, 5:09 PM

It's Kelly vs Watson. Kelly wasn't balling for backup in his mind. Am I missing the joke here?

Sep 13, 2015, 9:41 PM

Yeah but, Nunez is clearly the best

He's definitely the best

Sep 13, 2015, 10:00 PM

QB with the last name "Kelly" who has ever stepped foot on our campus.

Seniority issue? Shusseler is a RS JR been with team since

Sep 13, 2015, 10:12 PM

2012(sat out that year but still practiced I believe) and is behind Watson, a true Sophmore. So...there goes the seniority theory.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic