Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's time to ruffle feathers.. Who could change basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,184

It's time to ruffle feathers.. Who could change basketball

Dec 18, 2015, 11:49 PM

Posted this in other thread. Apparently we're just missing the right coach. I don't think any coach really pleases people. I think were a football school (which is ok with me) over paying a basketball coach. Happy to be proven wrong. So here's your chance. Not trying to pick fights but i don't see it. But will eat crow if needed.

Pick your new coach. Any coach. Then tell me when we'd win our own conference. Let alone something more.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's time to ruffle feathers.. Who could change basketball

Dec 18, 2015, 11:51 PM

let Dabo coach the BB team!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lets do what other desperate schools do....

Dec 19, 2015, 9:23 AM

Hire a known cheater. At the very least, it will get us a few good years of bringing in the best players money can buy that wil establish a legacy, a tainted legacy but a legacy none the less. It will have people excited and the new arena or whatever they are spending $63 million on,will be filled. Then, when we get accused of cheating, we'll form a sham of a self-investigative committee, sort of like the farce UNCheat has done( it doesn't appear to have hurt them at all.) For what it's worth, the NCAA doesn't have the staff, stomach or interest in perusing rogue programs. So, let's go rogue. There would probably be an eSECpn 30 for 30 documentary on us! Think of the publicity! Just follow the Dean Smith/Roy Williams plan and we will have the best team money can buy. Regardless of what others think, this is our best, realistic and most immediately gratifying option! So, since integrity is something for losers, get those money satchels ready, lets hire a big name coach, with questionable ethics but unquestionable results and win an ACC Championship! Go Tigers!

Dec 19, 2015, 12:01 AM

Why are you ok with being bad at one of the 2 sports that turns a profit?

Winning the conference and something more doesn't have to be the benchmark. It is not that difficult for an ACC team to make the tournament if they take care of their OOC schedule. There are plenty of coaches who can make us nationally relevant (top 25, and NCAA appearances) like OP and Barnes did. That alone would be a major upgrade over Brownell.

Dec 19, 2015, 12:12 AM

Ty Corbin, from SC, has coached in the NBA. He should be able to get us talent to compete in The ACC. With the right staff we be a very tough out.

Dec 19, 2015, 12:39 AM

We need a young hungry coach who can build like Rick Barnes did. Find a 30 yr. old who wants to build a legacy at Clemson. Nobody knew Coach K at Duke his first three years, but he quietly renewed his program. Clemson Univ. sells itself and fan base attitudes would be reversed with a bright hard working leader who accepts the challenges involved. Brownell never talks about overcoming! Use that negative past as a recruiting tool to attract players who want to change a historically inconsistent program into a sustained program of success! Personally I thought Brownell brought much to the climate initially, but his lack of identifying and signing good talent has taken a toll.

I wish the Tigers success, but he has simply not gotten the degree of success expected.

Dave Richman at NDSU

Dec 19, 2015, 1:03 AM

He is a great young coach and he reminds me a lot of Brad Stevens from Butler and now the Celtics.

although he is an NDSU alum so he is probably set

Eric Musselman, Nevada

Dec 19, 2015, 1:19 AM

Former NBA head coach who was the main recruiter for LSU landing #1 player Ben Simmons.

outside box. coach available now....

Dec 19, 2015, 1:25 AM

Another guy outside box to think about is Dino Gaudio. Got a bad deal at Wake, and he is a great recruiter. Similar to Gottfried at NC State and that turned into good hire. Really recruits well in the Atlanta and Charlotte area.

My top choice would be Gregg Marshal.

Also like Mack at Xavier, Miller at Dayton,,Cooley at Providence..also Butler coach.

Re: outside box. coach available now....

Dec 19, 2015, 7:47 AM

I had friend of a friend type of connections to that Skip Prosner Wake Forest staff that includeds Dino Gaudio. If you remember, several of that teams top players departed early for the NBA right before Prosner passed away. What I heard was that it was because of Gaudio because he's a real prick and the players hated him.

I normally enjoy your knowledgeable posts about

Dec 19, 2015, 7:59 AM [ in reply to outside box. coach available now.... ]

basketball---especially recruiting.

But please, lets not play the Greg Marshall card again. Its my opinion that he's turned down "feelers" from Clemson in the past, and if I remember correctly he snubbed the chickens during the process when they ultimately hired Frank Martin.......the Marshall ship sailed long ago and he has never been amenable to taking the job in the first place.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I normally enjoy your knowledgeable posts about

Dec 19, 2015, 8:44 AM

Marshall and family have found a home in Kansas. He would be foolish to leave at this point. Clemson really needs to take a bold step and quit playing it safe in both programs! Fans, especially those over age fifty, are tired of losses to Mid-majors, The Streak in CH, and never winning the ACC tourney! We are the only original member left without a championship. I have to give OBS credit with his question at the start of his tenure. "Why not us?" The time has come for coaching and institutional change in basketball and Clemson needs it now!

Marshall is great, but I think he is happy being the top dog

Dec 19, 2015, 8:54 AM [ in reply to outside box. coach available now.... ]

at a non-football playing school

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's an interesting idea honestly

Dec 19, 2015, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Re: It's time to ruffle feathers.. Who could change basketball ]

Avery Johnson is certainly having an impact at Bama

Dec 19, 2015, 12:11 AM

Wisconsin's a football school. Ohio State is a football school. Michigan State is a basketball and football school, so why can't we be both. Texas and Oklahoma have had excellent basketball teams. Louisville has been been playing both sports well. It goes on and on. You can have both. You have to empower the coaches and the entire program and recruit like Dabo. It can be done.

Dec 19, 2015, 12:47 AM

You would think we could get a good coach that could recruit better .,

We only seem to have 3 great players out of 10 at one time ,.,

How hard it must be to get 10 McDonalds AA like Duke ,., Dabo should show
them how to recruit ,.,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pay Greg Marshall and be done with it***

Dec 19, 2015, 2:08 AM

The problem with that is

Dec 19, 2015, 7:50 AM

that Marshall's won at Witchita State with someone else's players. The main issue at Clemson is recruiting, so I'd like someone who has an established recruiting resume at a successful Power 5 school. It's time to make a statement that Clemson is serious about basketball.

Re: The guy will win.***

Dec 19, 2015, 11:50 AM [ in reply to pay Greg Marshall and be done with it*** ]

If I knew the answer, some one would be paying me..........

Dec 19, 2015, 2:46 AM

to make decisions on basketball programs.

But I do know this: I have seen the Tigers win. I have seen Littejohn packed to over flowing. I have felt the excitement and electricity of a competitive team. So it is possible.

The excuse of being a football school don't cut it. Win or at least have every one believe you have good chance at winning and folks will fill the seats. We have done so in the past.

To build a program it will have to be some one that steps on campus and says "this is where I want to be," "this is where I want to raise my family." The same as with the football program. If the guy is looking to build a record to get some where else or is simply a hired gun we will always be in the same state after couple seasons when he moves on.

I honestly thought we had it done when Barnes was hired. I remember he was always involved with other things on campus, tailgating football games, etc. And he didn't win every game but he was darn competitive, even with 4 freshmen and a sophomore. Basketball was fun. We can find it again, just gotta accept nothing less and keep looking until its here......

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2015, 6:44 AM

I won't do this again - sorry. I tried to help this pathetic program become something worth watching. For me, when they were doing a coaching search in years past, I recommended Rick Pitino as he was leaving the Celtics to return to college coaching. No - not to be - we didn't even bother to approach the guy. We decided to go after OP, and the rest is history. Louisville played for the NC 2-3 years later, and we looked like we never saw a basketball before. Same old crap.

Bottom line - our AD and admin don't know chit about sports. We need to start with the AD before we go after a new coach for BBall. People are solving the symptom of a problem instead of the actual problem itself.

Analogy:
A guy goes to the dentist and the dentist says "Good news, bad news". The guy asks for the good news. The dentist replies "Your teeth are perfect". And the guy is amazed and asks for the bad news. The dentist replies "Your gums are decayed and all of your teeth must come out".

Actually in our case, the teeth are all bad and the gums are decayed, so it's "Bad news, bad news".

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,184
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic