Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it time to start considering Coach B for national coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Is it time to start considering Coach B for national coach

Feb 1, 2018, 10:41 AM

of the year?

We were picked 13th in the ACC. Many thought we wouldnt match last years win total with losing Blossomgame.

We have 5 top 50 wins and are 7-3 in the best league in the country. We already have 18 wins and are tied for 2nd in the league.

Barring a collapse down the stretch, I think Brownell will get serious consideration for the award.

I also believe that Louisville's interim has done a remarkable job with taking over that program 2 weeks before the season started and in the middle of a major controversy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is it time to start considering Coach B for national coach

Feb 1, 2018, 10:46 AM

We would have to win either the ACC regular season title or the ACC tourny for that,so maybe.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UVA started the year unranked as well, but theBrad...

Feb 1, 2018, 10:53 AM

should get some loves from the ACC writers.

Finish other worldly, make a run in the ACCT & Dance and the national merit only increases.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UVA started the year unranked as well, but theBrad...

Feb 1, 2018, 11:03 AM

Very true and TB is a great coach.

Re: UVA started the year unranked as well, but theBrad...

Feb 1, 2018, 11:04 AM [ in reply to UVA started the year unranked as well, but theBrad... ]

True, but UVA was picked 6th in the preseason of the ACC.

So certainly Bennett would get love for National COY, but ACC COY would have to have Brad up there if we finish in the top 4.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure there's other good "stories" around the nation...

Feb 1, 2018, 11:09 AM

as well. Pointing out the job Coach Bennett has done was a reminder of the competition.

Brad has garnered a lot of attention as he should.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course, I'm in agreement with you. I was just adding to

Feb 1, 2018, 11:17 AM

the conversation that on a national scale people will see what Bennett has done, unranked to #2, moreso than what Brownell has, picked 13th in the ACC to tied for second.

Not a knock on Brownell, Bennett, or any of the other coaches, nor your opinion, just adding to the discussion and looking at it on a macro and micro scale.

Exactly the direction I'd hoped for when bringing up TB...

Feb 1, 2018, 11:24 AM

and the Hoos.

Terrific job by Coach Brad as you and others know, but don't loose site of the great big world around us.

We have an accord.

Re: Exactly the direction I'd hoped for when bringing up TB...***

Feb 1, 2018, 11:32 AM

Would Tony Bennett be the first to win the award at 2

Feb 1, 2018, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Exactly the direction I'd hoped for when bringing up TB... ]

different schools, or did Calipari win it at Memphis? I know he won it at Kentucky but don't know about Memphis.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Nevermind, just looked it up, Coach Cal won it at 3

Feb 1, 2018, 11:36 AM

different schools, UMass, Memphis and UK.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Would Tony Bennett be the first to win the award at 2

Feb 1, 2018, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Would Tony Bennett be the first to win the award at 2 ]

Based on the Naismith Coach of the Year:

Calipari won 2 at Memphis, one at Kentucky.

He's the only one who has won it at two different schools, interestingly enough only he, Jay Wright, and Coach K have won it more than once (3,2,3 respectively).

That award was first handed out in 1987.

Based on the AP Coach of the Year:

Roy Williams won one at Kansas and North Carolina, no one else has won that award at multiple schools.

I believe these are the two big ones, so I won't delve any further.

**Completely read over UMass, but you found that out.

Message was edited by: tiggerz04®

GWP ain't gonna like this.

Feb 1, 2018, 10:55 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Has any school Fired the NCotY??

Feb 1, 2018, 10:57 AM

Asking for a GWPTiger®

Ill hang up and listen

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Current or former?

Feb 1, 2018, 11:26 AM

It's important.

[Note: GWP is a lawyer and will ask lawyer things so it's best to head her off at the pass.]

Just taking a guess here, I think the following are

Feb 1, 2018, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Has any school Fired the NCotY?? ]

national coaches of the year who have been fired:

Tubby Smith
Bobby Knight
Larry Brown
Nolan Richardson

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of any.

Re: Just taking a guess here, I think the following are

Feb 1, 2018, 11:34 AM

I tried to warn the newb.***

Feb 1, 2018, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Just taking a guess here, I think the following are ]

You also tried to warn york too, but that didn't take either***

Feb 1, 2018, 11:38 AM

Fug, I hate being the constant.***

Feb 1, 2018, 11:43 AM

Pitino, maybe? How about the guy from UMass

Feb 1, 2018, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Has any school Fired the NCotY?? ]

Who wound up getting a couple of programs in trouble for shenanigans, but was a really good coach.

I was only looking at that Naismith Coach of the Year Award

Feb 1, 2018, 12:20 PM

and shockingly Pitino has never won it, which is crazy to me.

I'm guessing you're referring to Calipari at UMass, I don't know that he's ever been fired has he? I thought he left "voluntarily" although it could be like when Tommy Bowden who's a good Christian man "resigned"

Re: I was only looking at that Naismith Coach of the Year Award

Feb 1, 2018, 12:26 PM

Not sure if he voluntarily had to leave, but he was fired as the Nets' coach prior to his tenure at Memphis.

Message was edited by: tiggerz04®

I like this. It means we're winning***

Feb 1, 2018, 11:27 AM [ in reply to GWP ain't gonna like this. ]

Feb 1, 2018, 11:02 AM

Pearl at Auburn
Texas Tech coach
Arizona st coach
K St coach
Would be some competition but I would argue BB has exceeded expectations more so than any of those except maybe Pearl.

I hate having to say it, but losing Donte and a strong finish...

Feb 1, 2018, 11:51 AM

should only bolster theBrad's case in theACC & nationally.

GWS DG.

Feb 1, 2018, 11:13 AM

Sorry, I've been on the space station for a year. I thought we were firing him.

Feb 1, 2018, 1:22 PM

He was picked 9th in national coach of the year in an ESPN article about 2 weeks ago. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets consideration, but unfortunately it’ll probably go to a coach who gets a lot of time on national TV like Tony Bennett. I’m not saying Bennett hasn’t done a great job this year, i’m just saying he wouldn’t be my pick to be the National Coach of The Year.

For which sport ?***

Feb 1, 2018, 1:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic