Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As much as hate to say it, I dont see our defensive issues
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 2,569

As much as hate to say it, I dont see our defensive issues

Sep 24, 2012, 9:50 AM

being ABLE to be fixed this year. Our problem is up front. When you cannot provide the push and fill the gaps, your entire defensive schemes has to change and accomodate the ineffeciancy.We just do not have the horses up front this year to fix it. We played 3 down linemen not to prevent the pass, but to provide an umbrella to keep the plays in front of us...and it still didnt work. Venebles has his work cut out for him, but Chad is the one who will have earn every penny of that 1.3 million for us to have a decent season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have a serious talent deficiency across the board on D.

Sep 24, 2012, 9:57 AM

There is only so much that can fixed.

Brent Venables is a good, proven DC. He will get everything possible out of this defense, and I expect them to show some improvement as the season progresses. Having said that, neither Nick Saban nor Danny Ford could work a miracle with this defense. The problem is talent and depth, and it will only be fixed with recruiting.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yep. Who's responsible for that?***

Sep 24, 2012, 10:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yada, yada, yada,.... Give it a rest.***

Sep 24, 2012, 10:04 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm just asking a question. Is BV responsible for it?

Sep 24, 2012, 10:06 AM

People want to fire BV already. Is he responsible for the recruiting of the last 4 years?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WE we all know Steele never cared for recruiting. We're

Sep 24, 2012, 10:41 AM

seeing that start to sting a little. Now we got a DC who gives a crap and is out there after the top linemen in the country.

Give it time, grasshoppers.

I'd say more development.A few were misses in recruiting but

Sep 24, 2012, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Yep. Who's responsible for that?*** ]

a lot of the guys we were going after, so were a lot of people.

It's pretty sad that Meeks, Hall, Brewer, and Goodman are still below avg.

Willard and Blanks are bright spots. Our corners are young-ish but have had a ton of playing time. No excuses for such poor technique. We also have no depth. I really don't think Harbison is a good coach. Our DBs were awful when he was here under West.

Such a combination of things on defense right now. Really discouraging.

Re: I'd say more development.A few were misses in recruiting but

Sep 24, 2012, 10:12 AM

A friend of mine played Safety at Clemson and in the NFL. He has said numerous times that Harbison was the best DB coach he played under at any level. He is definately not the problem. The problem is complete lack of talent and depth. Ever notice how really good teams win in the 4th qtr... Their depth wears down the opposing team. That is what happened in Tallahassee. We just dont have the horses yet... But, the calvary is coming. Be patient.

What happened to Hall? I remember his freshman year

Sep 24, 2012, 10:59 AM [ in reply to I'd say more development.A few were misses in recruiting but ]

he was a ball hawk with D-Mc in the secondary. Was it McDaniel just covering up for him or is it the knee injury from last year?

He has just progressively went down hill and if it's because of the injury then that's terrible because he was looking like he was going to be one of the classic Clemson safeties in his freshman year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What happened to Hall? I remember his freshman year

Sep 24, 2012, 11:20 AM

ACL. He hasn't been the same since. Not yet, at least.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Who's responsible when we fumble?***

Sep 24, 2012, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Yep. Who's responsible for that?*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Probably the coaches -- it's their responsibility to teach

Sep 24, 2012, 10:52 AM

the players how to hold onto the ball.

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Whoever is carrying the ball is responsible for not fumbling

Sep 24, 2012, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Who's responsible when we fumble?*** ]

it.

Next ...

what is all this lack of talent junk??

Sep 24, 2012, 10:14 AM [ in reply to We have a serious talent deficiency across the board on D. ]

All this board has done is crow about recruiting and especially out recruiting FSU the last few years. This is just ridiculous to just pass it off to recruiting and experience. we've done well enough if we've missed it is on players and the staff.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When did we out-recruit FSU? I must have missed that.

Sep 24, 2012, 10:59 AM

They've been in the top what? 3 or 5 every year?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crawford and Goodman were both 4* defensive ends.

Sep 24, 2012, 11:02 AM [ in reply to what is all this lack of talent junk?? ]

Crawford is still youngish, but Goodman was the #1 player in the state of SC and the #2 defensive end in the nation in the 2009 class according to rivals.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Malliciah-Goodman-78811

Why he hasn't developed is a mystery to all of us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. Scheme was awful but it wouldn't have mattered...

Sep 24, 2012, 10:01 AM

We are below avg at every position and it's not gonna change.

Chad is already earning his 1.3 and as long as we're healthy, our offense will only get better... if that's possible.

Scheme was awful? Really?

Sep 24, 2012, 10:15 AM

BV schemed to limit the big play. Under the circumstances, that sounds like a pretty solid plan to me. When we did blitz, we couldn't get pressure most of the time. My worst fear came to pass--that we would stack the box to take away the run and not be able to get pressure. Turns out, nothing we did was effective. Why? They were better. If they can win the one-on-one battles, who gives a flying fig what your scheme is? Any scheme comes down to execution. Execution is a matter of every player being able to hold his own against the other guy. Lose the one-on-one battle and your scheme is no longer relevant.

The good news is we won't see that kind of talent and depth again this year.

Re: As much as hate to say it, I dont see our defensive issues

Sep 24, 2012, 10:10 AM

Yea it will take time to get the D where it needs to be.But to give up 700 yards and just let a 190lb running back straight run over you, there is no excuse for that.The D can improve and play better than Sat night.

I agree with that......mostly. Our problem Saturday was

Sep 24, 2012, 10:10 AM

that FSU's talent and depth were just that much better. We won't struggle as much with anyone else on our schedule. Come November 24, I expect to be a little better, but your point is well made. You can't coach ability, only technique and assignment. Only recruiting can solve the issue of ability.

tackling and fundamentals can be taught.. and learned

Sep 24, 2012, 10:20 AM

that's all

Re: tackling and fundamentals can be taught.. and learned

Sep 24, 2012, 10:45 AM

Agree but up to a point: Fundamentals have been hammered home all summer and fall camp, and BV is one of the better LB coaches out there....bottom line is there's been zero--zero, improvement. Failure to shed blocks, failure to set the edge, falling for misdirection each and every play, inability to cover the flat, unwillingness to lower the shoulder and wrap up....same as last year.

No, at this point I'm inclined to believe we have guys out there who just don't have the talent to play at this level. BV has a mess to clean up and it's going to take at least another 2 recruiting cycles to do it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

agree 100%***

Sep 24, 2012, 11:01 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Re: Scheme was awful? Really?

Sep 24, 2012, 10:35 AM

One thing we can't keep doing is playing so soft on 3rd down.At least try to stop them don't give em the first down.

The offense and defense are not mutually exclusive...

Sep 24, 2012, 10:42 AM

When 3-and-outs and turnovers start occurring, the defense does not have time to rest and regroup. Perhaps Morris should have called some more run plays when the tide started turning to try to keep the ball out of FSU's offense's hands.

Re: The offense and defense are not mutually exclusive...

Sep 24, 2012, 10:48 AM

If not for the tempo we had in the first half,the game would have been over.They tryed to run the ball and slow things down when it was 31-21 that didn't work to well.If the D could have got some stops the Tigers win

Re: The offense and defense are not mutually exclusive...

Sep 24, 2012, 10:59 AM

I didn't say slow the tempo down in the first half (when it was working). Only in the second half when the 3-and-outs started giving the ball back to FSU (putting our overmatched defense back on the field).

I don't think the outcome of the game would have mattered, but it might have slowed FSU's scoring down some.

Re: As much as hate to say it, I dont see our defensive issues

Sep 24, 2012, 10:54 AM

91,93,97 are all zeroes..50 is sub-par. 34 is limited. 12 is young. 20,7 need a chance. 11 is a player out of position.

Re: Crawford and Goodman were both 4* defensive ends.

Sep 24, 2012, 11:08 AM

I watched Goodman play in HS and he was a beast.I figured he was a lock for the NFL.Dont know if it's heart,better comp, or coaching.But he sure has been a disappointment,he is really not that bad,he's just not as great as I thought he would be

what's concerning to me is the defensive issues won't be

Sep 24, 2012, 11:31 AM

fixed until the playmakers on offense are gone....You've got next year as the last yr for Sammy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 2,569
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic