Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If The Committee does what it usually does...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

If The Committee does what it usually does...

Nov 13, 2016, 6:32 PM

...and favors conference champions who actually played in conference championship games, it makes the math a lot simpler.

Alabama is almost certainly in, and will stroll into the #1 seed - which unfortunately means they get the Peach Bowl and Georgia as their opening venue - almost regardless of what happens. They can lose the Iron Bowl; doesn't matter. They've already clinched the West. And they're going to be favored by about 50 over whatever shambling monstrosity drags itself out of the cesspit that is the SEC East.

If Clemson wins the ACC, we still get in pretty much automatically, either as the #2 or #3 seed. which doesn't much matter except for the color of the uniform we wear. What does matter is it also means we get the Fiesta Bowl and Arizona...again. The only real good news there is Clemson will be very familiar with that venue having played the national title game there last year.

I think we can safely say, whoever gets the #2 (or #3) seed will be the B1G Champ. Michigan wins out it's theirs. If Ohio State beats Michigan, Penn State or Wisconsin will fight for that honor. Ohio State is pretty much buggered even if they beat Michigan because Penn State - who has only 1 B1G loss (their other loss was to Pitt, which seems more understandable now) owns the tie-breaker with Ohio State.

That leaves the #4 spot. Politics for this spot are likely to get bloody. If Washington wins out they'll finish with 1 loss and the Pac-12 Championship and they get first dibs. This is the cleanest option, which of course means it won't happen that way. If Washington loses again at any point, it'll likely go to either Ohio State or Louisville because both have only one loss though neither is likely to get a conference championship. Go figure which way The Committee would vote there if both win their last two games; Ohio State will have had better wins - against Michigan, against Wisconsin, against Nebraska - whereas Louisville would have the best loss, on the road to Clemson.

The only other teams I see that remotely have a chance of creeping back into it are either Oklahoma or West Virginia. The press guys keep talking up the Sooners, but Oklahoma's got two losses and effectively will be eliminated if Louisville wins this Thursday at Houston, since Houston already beat Oklahoma this year and would almost certainly finish with a loss less than the Sooners anyhow; no way Oklahoma jumps the Cardinals in that case. West Virginia could be the Dark Horse to watch for that final spot, though - if the Mountaineers beat Oklahoma in Blacksburg this Saturday, they then only have to beat Iowa State on the road and a spiraling Baylor team at home to finish 11-1 and as champions of the Big 12. So even though they're at #10 in the polls right now, West Virginia almost seems like the likeliest team to me to sneak into the #4 spot. Again, though, the ineptitude of the Big 12 brass seems likely to bite them - the Big 12 presidents did vote for a Big 12 title game...starting in 2017. Here in 2016, their champ will still be left without one even as some powerful 1-loss teams like Ohio State and Louisville could well be in the mix. Would The Committee pick even a 1-loss West Virginia over Ohio State or Louisville if they finish with the same record? Doubtful.

So in a nutshell we're looking at:
1 - Alabama
2 or 3 - Clemson if we win out
2 or 3 - Whoever wins B1G (Michigan/Penn State/Wisconsin)
4 - Washington/Ohio State/Louisville/Oklahoma/West Virginia

Whatever, it's probably about time to start shopping those discount flights back to Arizona.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If The Committee does what it usually does...

Nov 13, 2016, 6:35 PM

"Whatever shambling monstrosity drags itself out of the cesspool that is the SEC East ."

This statement wins the internets for the 13th of November.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 13, 2016, 6:38 PM

Ohio state and Michigan , could they both make it ya think?

No, because that would be allowing a 2 loss team in over

Nov 13, 2016, 6:42 PM

Louisville....and that won't happen I don't think.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you are spot on

Nov 13, 2016, 6:41 PM

Ironically, it would be the same for us had we won yesterday as we were not going to jump Bama.

Amazing what happened yesterday...our loss in essence does not matter except it creates no margin for further error.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Concur. And I think this loss will re-focus the team.***

Nov 13, 2016, 6:50 PM

Re: I think you are spot on

Nov 13, 2016, 7:32 PM [ in reply to I think you are spot on ]

Agreed!

Re: I think you are spot on

Nov 13, 2016, 8:21 PM [ in reply to I think you are spot on ]

Unless the committee learns from last year that the conference championships are misleading.

The playoffs would have been a lot better with Ohio State instead of Michigan State. What's going to help Louisville is the committte is going to want to put in Ohio State so they're going to have to lessen the value of a conference championship.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Exactly . . . assuming the committee sticks to their

Nov 13, 2016, 6:54 PM

guidelines.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Nov 13, 2016, 7:25 PM

A 2 loss team nor a 1 loss washington team is going to get in ahead of Louisville since they are the media darling and if you don't think that matters for the playoff you are kidding yourself. So assuming we and louisville both win out .... the committee will have us playing each other cuz there's no chance they will allow an all acc national title game. Write it down ... Bama vs Michigan (or ohio st whoever wins their matchup) in Atlanta, Clemson vs Louisville in AZ. The rematch between two of college fb's best qbs is a guaranteed ticket seller after the way the first one ended.

I'm not so sure. Really think it would take

Nov 13, 2016, 7:41 PM

heaven and Earth to put two from the same conference in the play-offs. Not trying to start an argument - just saying I don't believe it would happen.

Nov 13, 2016, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Re: If The Committee does what it usually does... ]

?Doesn't understand the committee at all .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

This has always been what I think since...

Nov 13, 2016, 7:26 PM

the beginning of CFP era. High percentage will be Power 5 champions in the playoffs, almost like a lock. Those who don't win have a lot but slim shot.

An example of a scenario that Power 5 champions will be left out:

- Florida loses to Florida State and somehow beats Alabama for the SEC title.
- Big 12 champion has 3 losses.

This is a more likely scenario that champions could be left out. Even with this scenario, Louisville might not get in.

Many still believe that a 2-loss champion might not be jumped ahead by a 1-loss team. I kinda disagree and lean toward the 2-loss champions, even for the Big 12, unless it looks really bad at the end of the season.

I think the rule of thumb can be like this (puts teams in until they fill in the 4 spots):

- Priority is given to undefeated Power 5 champions.
- Priority is given to 1-loss Power 5 champions.
- NOTE: Big 12 has the least priority among Power 5 champions for the same number of losses.
- Priority is more likely given to 2-loss Power 5 champions, but this is where the committee comes into play.

Things will change a lot after championship week.

Agree. And a lot will happen between now and the last

Nov 13, 2016, 7:39 PM

CFP poll.

Re: Agree. And a lot will happen between now and the last

Nov 13, 2016, 7:51 PM

"they're going to be favored by about 50 over whatever shambling monstrosity drags itself out of the cesspit that is the SEC East"

This is awesome!

That said, Auburn crapping the couch against one of those SEC Least teams doesn't help our resume. Thanks Auburn, thanks a lot.

yeah. There's that...***

Nov 14, 2016, 12:32 PM

Agree, except if Wisconsin or PSU

Nov 13, 2016, 7:56 PM

win the BIG, it would be no higher than a 4 seed with Washington or Ohio State at number 3.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree, except if Wisconsin or PSU

Nov 13, 2016, 8:11 PM

> win the BIG, it would be no higher than a 4 seed with
> Washington or Ohio State at number 3.

I think you're right and this occurred to me after I wrote up all that.

That would leave:

1) Alabama 13-0 (assuming they win Iron Bowl, they'll stay #1 likely even if they lose it)
2) Clemson 12-1 (assuming we win out)

BUT...

3) Penn State/Wisconsin 11-2 (assuming one of the two wins the B1G)

Or would it be like that?

Would one of those two - especially Penn State, which has a 40+-point loss on its record - be ranked ahead of a...

4) Washington 12-1 (assuming Washington wins out)

Doubtful.

I think you're exactly right, it'd bump Washington up to #3 and leave the 11-2 B1G champ at #4 to face Alabama in Atlanta. And probably die ugly, since neither Wisconsin nor Penn State are likely to do better than Michigan State did against the Tide last year.

Nov 13, 2016, 7:58 PM

This may be the year that pushes it to 8.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right now my biggest concern is Weak Florist and the Coots...

Nov 13, 2016, 8:02 PM

There is a lot of questions in my head if we can pull that off without a hitch. The rest takes care of itself. Louisville is in a better spot than we are because we have to get past VT in the ACCCG and could get knocked out there and Louisville will waltz right in without having to have a conference Championship. How about them apples?

Nov 13, 2016, 8:15 PM

Don't even mention Choklahoma and playoff in the same post. Not even worthy of consideration.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why is West Virginia playing Oklahoma in Blacksburg?***

Nov 14, 2016, 12:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic