Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Freshman Sensation or Sophomore Slump?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Freshman Sensation or Sophomore Slump?

May 21, 2013, 9:32 AM

Freshman Sensation or Sophomore Slump?

Freshman Sensation or Sophomore Slump?
Some experts are expecting Clemson to produce major results on the field again this season. I see this happening because several of the key pieces are once again in place.

In my opinion, if the Tigers want to take the next step then <

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Freshman Sensation or Sophomore Slump?

May 21, 2013, 9:41 AM

I think Sammy will grow from last season, he found out fast that at this level nothing will be gave to him.He knows that he has to keep his nose clean and work extra hard.

I hate to be a negative Nelly....

May 21, 2013, 9:45 AM

... but greatness typically happens in spurts. It's rarely sustained for long periods of time. I think the chemistry between Boyd and Hopkins was a picture of greatness. It was special. Unique. Hard to come by. Once in a career type connection. Like Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin. The odds of Boyd finding that same chemistry with Sammy are not in their favor. Of course, it it happens, this could be a very special year for us all! But if it doesn't, and Watkins goes for another sub-thousand season, it could be a long year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

But, just the year before they had success as well

May 21, 2013, 9:54 AM

I mean Boyd/Watkins went for over 1200 yards and 12 TD's. Not as good as Boyd/Hopkins last year, but nothing to sneeze at.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought about that, but...

May 21, 2013, 9:59 AM

one could argue THAT was greatness too... can they find it again? Does that happen between the same QB and WR twice in college football? We'll see.... sure hope so!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

But your argument was

May 21, 2013, 10:10 AM

That Boyd/Hopkins signified something unlikely to occur again. But that occurred after the great season Boyd/Watkins had.

Maybe what we're seeing is that the common denominator is Boyd, and moreover an offense which he runs well and is designed to get the ball to its playmakers.

I'd imagine we'll see stats somewhere along the lines of 2011 Boyd/Watkins. But we'll also see other playmakers emerge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hate to be a negative Nelly....

May 21, 2013, 9:55 AM [ in reply to I hate to be a negative Nelly.... ]

I think we will have a great year even if Watkins only has as good a year as he had last year... I think Bryant will have a break out year and with Peake Humphry and hopper we will have more receiving yards and TDs than last year... If Watkins does break out to a higher level we should challenge for the NC.

Ever watched Tom Brady or Brett Farve - new WR not a problem***

May 21, 2013, 11:16 AM [ in reply to I hate to be a negative Nelly.... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2013, 3:17 PM [ in reply to I hate to be a negative Nelly.... ]

I totally disagree with you. Boyd and Sammy have been together from the start of their careers as starters at Clemson. Sammy's High Times adventure put him behind the eight ball because of his own failure of doing things the right way. He found that at the college level that he can be replaced with other players wanting to show/prove that they can get the job done with equal or good talent. He won't make that mistake again, and if he does, there will be somebody in our receiving core that will step in and perform. Tajh and Sammy will be the history makers this season with an awesome season in putting up big numbers. With the group of receivers we have at Clemson right now, there won't be a drought for history being made for our Tigers in 2013, bank on it. Goooooo Tigerssssss

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2013, 11:12 PM

Totally agree, money in the bank. Bryant showed great improvement during the spring game. A few clutch catches were similar to Nuk's catches. Humphries will be Mr. Guarantee. You can count on him to catch the ball during crucial downs and distances. Peake will be a cleanup type receiver. Extending the drives and putting the game out reach with key catches throughout the game. Don'
t forget we still have two capable, confident, and determine incoming freshman recievers in Williams and TJ Green who remind me of former Georgia's WR AJ Green. The two can or might light up the stat sheet if the opportunity presents itself. Another possible freshman all american in the waiting.

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Freshman Sensation or Sophomore Slump?

May 21, 2013, 9:56 AM

If you look at his production and figure he'd have done similar stats in the other three games he missed, he would be close to his freshman year. it was more a number of games thing than a production in each game think. Sammy is Sammy. If he plays he will do what he does. He is just that good. People will try to stop him but if he is healthy there is only so much you can do to contain him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have to agree here with Plyer

May 21, 2013, 2:35 PM

For Clemson to have a shot at a special season two things really need to happen. Sammy needs to be better than he was as a freshman. And two, at a minimum two of the other WR need to step up their game to make up for losing Brandon Ford and Nuk Hopkins. Losing Sam Cooper hurts. I think we'll be alright at RB, QB, and OL.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic