Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't understand why the ACC is so weak?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

I don't understand why the ACC is so weak?

May 23, 2012, 8:30 AM

We have FSU, Clemson, Miami, VaTEch, BC, GT, who at one time or another went through patches or long stretches of greatness....but now they ALL yes ALL are underachieving.

You look at that list back in the 80's and even 90's and you would say thats a pretty tough football conference. I mean FSU and Miami were steamrollers.

Why in 10 years have we all fell back? It has to be leadership at the top of the conference. I don't know if the ACC stresses academics to a point that it reduces the number of kids that can qualify or what but they have pretty much Schruted the whole thing for about 10-15 years.

Who would've thought that FSU would fall like they have...they're just another team now. And MIAMI...how you can't have a perennial contender for a Nat.Championship every year is beyond me.

The ACC has about 5-6 good to Great tradition rich teams at the top. Just like the SEC, Big12, PAc10. Why the wheels have come off like they have is the big question.

And it has to be the conference leadership. Miami didn't s*ck until they came here. FSU eventually got to where they s*ck now. VaTech is solid but no powerhouse. BC used to be a tough place to win and now they sinking to the depths of Wake or Maryland. Look at our confernce BCS record for comparisons to other leagues.

It just doesn't make sense. We (theACC) should be so much better than we are. If every team was where they should be then this league would be tough. Why it hasn't.....you can only blame one entity. Leadership.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

College football is cyclical***

May 23, 2012, 8:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

It was cyclical - which might explain why the ACC is down

May 23, 2012, 8:35 AM

now. But the ACC has the bad fortune of being down when all of the money is being handed out based on recent performance. Going forward in the ACC, we'll have to try to compete against teams that have millions more per year to spend than we do - and things will become much less cyclical.

Unless we go somewhere else.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly! Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, ect.. They will benefit

May 23, 2012, 8:52 AM

from the money eventually. Just wait for that check to roll in, and they will see more success. Look around the SEC east. Several teams that have had rich traditions have been down the past few years, but that money will continue to roll in, and they will be back up.

Re: Exactly! Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, ect.. They will benefit

May 23, 2012, 8:56 AM

I think those schools will focus on other sports see basebal, and basketball.

Yea, Kentucky improved a lot in baseball, and won it all

May 23, 2012, 8:59 AM

in basketball. Vandy has been good in basketball and baseball, and really improving in football. Cooties better watch out, that is going to be a good opening game. Oh yea, there is going to be a pretty good game in the Georiga Dome on September 1rst! CAN'T WAIT!!!! Anybody going?! I've never been to a game in the Georgia Dome.

Schools not taking athletics seriously

May 23, 2012, 8:40 AM

Fell behind in coaching and facilities. Not just fottbal but basketball also.

it has no leadership, all organization are weak without it***

May 23, 2012, 8:42 AM

when VPI is winning 4 conference championships

May 23, 2012, 8:44 AM

there's a problem houston.

VPI is a 'good' program, no more. Your ACC champ got roflstomped at home by JMU.

Thanks Frank.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

very well said... at least we agree on the

May 23, 2012, 8:48 AM

"overratedness of VPI"

;)

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

what about when BC was winning the Atlantic***

May 23, 2012, 8:51 AM

One thing interesting is that since Ford left it is always

May 23, 2012, 8:53 AM

more times than not the outside teams who are new conference members who seem to win--FSU in the 90's, VT and BC in the 2000's

Why? Becuase they came in with a different mentality? Not sure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

or dear lowered weak florist?***

May 23, 2012, 8:57 AM [ in reply to what about when BC was winning the Atlantic*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no question....

May 23, 2012, 9:13 AM

that schools like Clemson, FSU, Virginia Tech and Miami should be achieving more on a national level.

That has been the biggest difference betwen the ACC and some of the other leagues. The others leagues always seem to consistently have at leasst one or two teams in the national Championship mix each year while the ACC hasn't been able to do that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

even in the years miami and fsu didn't reign

May 23, 2012, 9:30 AM

supreme, cu, gt[ross/o'leary/gailey], maryland[fridge], ncst[amato], uva[welsch], someone would/should've stepped up nationally to carry the torch for a year.

just didn't happen.

it blows me away how #### poor a conference, that owned 9 of the last 22 national titles when miami joined, has performed 'nationally' in the last 10 years.

oh, we agree on more than just vpi, but it's a lot

May 23, 2012, 8:56 AM [ in reply to very well said... at least we agree on the ]

more fun to advocate the debil; cause law don't go round here law dog.

;)

Bad leadership is to blame in every case.

May 23, 2012, 8:49 AM

Certainly the ACC has poor leadership in the front office, but the ACC has suffered from poor leadership at the school level for quite a while. That is where the real problems have occured. BC has fallen because they lack a Tom O'Brien caliber of coach. FSU fell off because Bobby Bowden should have retired years ago. The game just passed him by. Miami has had a litany of NCAA problems and poor coaching decisions. Clemson, well Bobby Robinson is all you need to say there. The good news is that Clemson and FSU seem to have righted the ship. Now, all we need is enough revenue to compete with the SEC. Where that will come from though is still up in the air.

Agree***

May 23, 2012, 8:52 AM

You're only as strong as your weakest link

May 23, 2012, 9:00 AM

At one point Wake, BC, and Maryland - easily three of the most apathetic fan bases in the ACC - also had arguably the top three (at least the top half) coaches in the conference. Bobby got old, Tommy stayed soft, and their teams were getting beat consistently by better coached teams from what would be perceived by big time football fans and pundits as weak programs. FSU and Clemson losing to wake and Maryland - at noon on RAYCOM no less - really took its toll on the brand. Va Tech is an example of a team thats had good coaching and didnt consistently have those bad losses.

I believe it starts with Attitude, and the attitude that

May 23, 2012, 9:08 AM

these teams should be good because at sometime in the past they were good is the very entitlement thinking that leads to "I don't understand why we are here or how this happened?"

A favorite quote from an old construction worker friend "Everyone wants to look good, no one wants to be good." sums it up.

It starts with having the right attitude which leads to the right actions which develops into the right culture which ultimately results in the right outcome.

Re: I don't understand why the ACC is so weak?

May 23, 2012, 9:14 AM

Because TigerNet says so.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

The SEC East is asking the same question...

May 23, 2012, 9:16 AM

Sometimes, there's just a perfect storm. During the last decade, we had a legend at FSU who hung on about 6 years too long. We had a perennial power in Miami fall apart because of a bad coaching hire. Tech hired "Mr. 7-5", Chan Gailey. Maryland thought they had the right guy with The Fridge, but he couldn't recruit. UNC hired a guy that had won big at Miami, but who got them into trouble with the NCAA. And Clemson had a guy with Bowden that just couldn't get them to focus 12 weeks a year.

It's just the way things went. I don't think this will last forever. Part of fixing it is the individual programs realizing it, and making changes. Don't blame Dook/UNC. Don't blame Swofford. It's up to each program to work with what it has.

And that's not me saying that Swofford is great or anything. He isn't. I don't like him. But I don't blame him for the entire ACC being weak in football.

May 23, 2012, 9:18 AM

Because you refuse to believe the truth about the conference. Football wise we are not a tradition rich conference, especially when considering only the charter members. It's even a stretch to consider FSU as such. FSU was great for about 20 years at most.

Miami I consider as good as any before they got to the ACC. Since then, nothing. But even their success was in a 20 year stretch. But no one can deny there tradition in that span. They were incredibly good.

Competition breeds success. For whatever reason the SEC is a more competitive league. Wish we were in it.

May 23, 2012, 9:18 AM

Because you refuse to believe the truth about the conference. Football wise we are not a tradition rich conference, especially when considering only the charter members. It's even a stretch to consider FSU as such. FSU was great for about 20 years at most.

Miami I consider as good as any before they got to the ACC. Since then, nothing. But even their success was in a 20 year stretch. But no one can deny there tradition in that span. They were incredibly good.

Competition breeds success. For whatever reason the SEC is a more competitive league. Wish we were in it.

May 23, 2012, 9:27 AM

The perception that Clemson created in the OB as the conference champion has a great deal to do with it. Probably any ACC team would have not given up 70 to WV.
We are to blame. Fix it Dabo.

May 23, 2012, 9:43 AM

Dabo will not last two seasons in big 12

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can blame the admin all you want

May 23, 2012, 9:55 AM

The fans that tolerate the level of play is the problem. Just take yourselves as an example. You kept Bowden forever even though he was underachieving because he beat SC every year.

For a football program to rise to national prominence...

May 23, 2012, 10:01 AM

it first needs a foundation of fans. I know it sounds like the cart before the horse.

It also must find a good coach. If the school is wealthy enough it might pick up a coach with a resume but without the money to pay such a coach it may have to settle for an unknown. Also, if the program is not wealthy the coach will soon leave for greener pastures.

Each of the schools you have mentioned have lost winning coaches, though the reason vary from just over the hill/senile to going to the pros.

I'm not in love with our current leadership and have no intention of anything here except objectivity.

Actually, I wouldn't #### on him if I had a bladder full of cheap beer and his face was on fire. We must admit though, that he was in charge when four of the six football programs you mentioned came into the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic