Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How much time does Doeren have left at NC State?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,127

How much time does Doeren have left at NC State?

Oct 18, 2018, 8:53 AM

NC State has a unique habit of only keeping coaches 6-7 years. O'Brien 6 seasons, Amato 7 seasons, O'Cain 7 seasons. Sheridan would also fall into that category but his situation is a bit different, so we will give them a pass.

So 1/2 in his sixth year, Doeren is now % wise between O'Brien and Amato. All of those coaches have had 9 or more win seasons, with many happening earlier than Doeren's best season. Most also had a slightly better in-conference record.

So how long does Doeren have left? Would he be wise to jump soon because the common theme is that all of these coaches can get 8-9 wins but all it takes is one 6-7 win season (or worse) to end the coaches career. Considering how weak NC States schedule ends with UNCheat and Looserville as the last ACC games and ECU, they should be in decent shape. Granted 4 of the next 6 are on the road with ECU at home.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NC St should go 10-2 this year worst case scenario.

Oct 18, 2018, 9:01 AM

Losses at Clemson and potential hangover next week at Syracuse.

The only possible losses on their schedule is Clemson, Cuse, FSU.

They could also go 12-0 with a win on Saturday. But 10-2 will get Doeren at least an extra 3-4 years. They've recruited pretty well. If he was a "likeable" guy, he could probably stay at NC St for as long as he wanted. His personality is the only thing holding him back as a head coach.

Re: How much time does Doeren have left at NC State?

Oct 18, 2018, 9:07 AM

I would think for a while, he is the best coach they could hope to have and has them competitive in most games. I would have liked to have seen them beat the gamecocks in the prior two season's opener, but bottom line is they do not have the talent, nor the facilities to land premier talent and be an elite program. I think if you put doeran at a program like LSU and gave him a staff that could recruit, he would be in the conversation.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2018, 9:29 AM

I agree he is safe at ncst. I see him leaving for a better opportunity before he gets fired. Also, he won't make a lateral move. I'm sue he will be on uscjr fans short list as their next head coach, but he's not that stupid.

Oct 18, 2018, 11:15 AM

If he had failed miserably this year after all the talent left last year, there is a chance he would have been fired.

Last year was not a great year for them given the talent level they had, but since there expectations were so low as a program, they were okay with it and maybe even gave him an extension.

Since they are exceeding expectations this year, he is safe for a couple of years and, most likely, will leave for a better job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever happened to ol' Mike O'Cain?

Oct 18, 2018, 11:16 AM

aka "My cocaine"?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,127
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic