Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How good can Cole Stoudt be?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

How good can Cole Stoudt be?

Apr 17, 2014, 10:07 AM

"He reads the whole field, instead of having one guy to go to like on a jump ball," Leggett said. "He scans the defense, and he's opened up his whole view when he goes through his progressions."

From Williams: "He looks through all his options now. He doesn't just go for the first option; he scans the field a lot now."

Cole can calmly scan the field and make quick decisions in part because he's tall enough to have confidence that he's seeing all of the defense. That should improve our passing efficiency. The question will be, what can he do when the pocket breaks down or the receivers are covered. A big key to our offensive consistency was Boyd's ability to make a play in those situations. Boyd, at around 225 pounds, was able to use his size and toughness to keep the chains moving. How will Cole make plays in those situations? Does he have the durability to take some shots and get back up? I read recently where he was up to 230lbs. That's generous, but if he can get to that weight or close, he could have a great year.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140416/PC20/140419482/1032/clemsons-stoudt-has-teammates-support

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to gush too much about his ability...

Apr 17, 2014, 10:09 AM

But I think, at the end of the day, he could be the most talented pure passer we've had in a few decades. Better than Charlie-- less of a gunslinger and more polished. I am very high on this kid, I think he's special and I think he gets drafted.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. Charlie didn't have good feet to avoid pressure

Apr 17, 2014, 10:13 AM

and get the ball off. Cole does.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will play in the NFL***

Apr 17, 2014, 10:52 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Re: How good can Cole Stoudt be?

The ONLY advantages Boyd had over Cole was his size/strength to make tough yards on the ground, and that cannon for an arm.

Cole does everything better IMO. He is more of what I think a "pure QB" should be than Boyd, but just couldn't make those throws that Boyd could make.

My preference has always been Cole, but Boyd was just too dang good on those critical throws.

Personally, I am excited to see Cole get a shot to let us see his skills.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Different team now.

Apr 17, 2014, 10:17 AM

Boyd didn't have the blocking Cole has. Boyd had excellent WRs but not nearly the diversity at RB position.

This year will be at least as good as last and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boyd had a more experienced OL

Apr 17, 2014, 10:54 AM

We're more talented on the line this year, but we aren't more experienced (At least at the beginning of the year).

Can't really make excuses for Boyd. He was great, but he didn't have an elite pocket presence. It's too early to tell if Stoudt will, but early indications are that he knows how to actually use the pocket.

Leggett took a cheap shot a Winston. Really, he's right. Half FSU's offense was those 6'5" WR's who could jump like frogs. Winston just had to throw it straight up to get a completion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2014, 10:27 AM

to be realistic, coaches felt Tajh was the better QB last year or Cole would have started. but Cole has developed another year. but so did Procter following Charlie W. but also remember Tennessee won the BCS the year after Peyton w/ Tee Martin.

so the answer is we don't know. could be good. could be bad.

Don't be dropping a Proctor in the same sentence as Stoudt

Apr 17, 2014, 10:55 AM

Proctor wishes he could pass like Stoudt, and that's not being petty. Completely different types of QB. Proctor was a ball dispenser at best.

About as good as the O-line lets him be.

Apr 17, 2014, 10:41 AM

If he gets good protection, he will have a great year. I'm not sure how he will respond if he is constantly under pressure.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Ask Braxton Miller***

Apr 17, 2014, 10:56 AM

Apr 17, 2014, 10:45 AM

Hope he pulls a "Tee Martin"

Apr 17, 2014, 11:11 AM

Understood much of Cole's time has been what so may call "Mop-up" time. That's the same for all back up QBs. What folks should realize is that for every rep Qbs get in a game, they get hundreds of reps in practice. That is where Cole has impressed coaches and teammates. Everyday Cole throws against a better defense than Clemson faced all last season except maybe FSU. This years defense is supposed to be even better. And for his so called lack of mobility, or escapability, many call this years defensive line the best in the country. So with all these opinions, consider the everyday opponent he gets his work against. Good luck Cole.

Apr 17, 2014, 11:28 AM

I think Cole runs better than most of y'all think. As far as passing.......so far he hasn't made a lot of mistakes.

Overall he is going to surprise hell out of a lot of people....just not me. I think he will be fantastic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic