Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How does 15-0 automatically= best ever.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

How does 15-0 automatically= best ever.

Jan 14, 2020, 4:12 AM

It's a funny tagline, but it seems like the media pulls this every year. 2013 FSU to me is probably the best CFB team I've ever seen and they only went 14-0. The ACC in 2013 was solid and that team went into Death Valley on Saturday night and won 51-14. Clemson only lost another game @SC who finished #4. Not trying to say LSU is not THE 2020 National champion, unfortunately since football is never able to do series due to health reasons, we can never REALLY know who is the best. Clemson very well might develop a better game plan and win a series with LSU 4-2 if it wouldn't be dangerous. LSU being the best ever is a joke though, that defense allowed 25 points today, the best CFB team of all time would be all-pro in Offense, Defense, and ST. Clemson fits all 3 categories in 2018, but this is a debatable subject. I did not feel like LSU beat us, I thought Joe Burrow was THAT DANG GOOD. He escaped 6-8 sacks last night. Alabama was the best ever until the game happened lol.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How does 15-0 automatically= best ever.

Jan 14, 2020, 5:06 AM

Most that are saying that are basing it on LSU's resume this year. 5 wins over the final top 8 and 7 wins over top 10 teams at the time the games were played. That's the most ever. After Alabama, they played 6 games and won by at least 17 points in every game, including 3 games against top 5 teams. They scored the most points ever in modern college football, despite playing several highly ranked defenses. They averaged 42 points against the #1, #2, #7 and #13 ranked scoring defenses.

Down the stretch the defense also played at an elite level.

Jan 14, 2020, 6:23 AM

I think the deserve to be in the discussion, and had they beat both tOSU and Clemson I would probably give it to them. But sadly I feel we got sold a little short by not getting to see LSU play vs top tier cornerbacks who could challenge their stud wrs. All i saw this season was possibly the greatest offense of all time skate through their schedule with an average at best defense.

In terms of who is the greatest ever, i can only speak since 2002 as that is the first year i watched college football from week 1 to finish but if I had to choose i would put 2001 miami, 2004 usc, 2011 alabama, 2013 FSU, and Clemson 2016 in front of this LSU team. (Yes i think your 16' team would have beat last years.)

Jan 14, 2020, 6:27 AM

Another thing you guys need to realize is that i dont really think that LSU is a better team than yours, they just match up very well vs your team as their strengths allow them to exploit your weaknesses. I think if you guys had their regular season schedule you would have worked it better than they did because your defense >> theirs.

Jan 14, 2020, 6:43 AM

"we'll never know who the best really is". I'm sure you said that after Clemson won last year right?

I think people can say that Lawrence isn't really that good, it's just the system he was put in and the competition he has faced. Hes' no DW4 and this year showed it.

Jan 14, 2020, 6:49 AM

Honestly he has a point tho. If the playoffs were seeded differently, we could have knocked LSU out and played vs you for the natty after you demolished Choklahoma.

I was actually disappointed we got bumped to #2 because you were and still are the last team i wanted to play against in the playoffs. LSU has a horrible run defense, and your D staff knows how to abuse less experienced qbs. Unfortunately for you guys, Burrow is near NFL ready.

Jan 14, 2020, 7:16 AM

Why do you think you could have beaten LSU if we couldn't?

Jan 14, 2020, 7:39 AM

Because we matchup better vs them. We had 3 corners that can cover their wrs, and a dline that could pressure burrow without having to blitz. On offense our bread and butter is running the football which happens to be the weakness of LSUs defense.

Your team on the other was a worse matchup for us because your d coordinator runs multiple schemes with many blitz packages/line stunts that confuse the opposing oline and qb. Rewatch the game vs us and you will notice the adjustment venables made around 5:00 left in quarter 2.

He basically showed playing 7 defensive backs, while blitzing 1-3 of them each play with the line stunting to add extra confusion. Fields spent 20 minutes trying to learn calculus because he has never seen that before he it really rattled him. You cant do this to Burrow tho as they use a levels system with wr routes which reads what your d does post snap instead of pre and he is experienced enough to make you pay for it.

Jan 14, 2020, 10:36 AM

Yes. It's not so much about who's better absolutely, but who matches up better.

I also think that, given the fact that the QB run game is a more natural part of OSU's offense, their game-planning would have included it. Combined with Dobbins, a virtual twin of Edwards-Helaire, OSU would have given LSU fits.

Just like Travis should have, if we'd fed him the ball more. And Lyn-J had only one carry.

Jan 14, 2020, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: How does 15-0 automatically= best ever. ]

The LSU offense would have cooked tOSU worst than Clemson.

While tOSU has elite level athletes they run a very basic schemes, tOSU gets away with that in the BIG10 because none of the QBs can challenge you.
Okuda would have been on skates just like A.J.

Offensively tOSU runs a more playground-style where again you’re basically just out athlete the competition 4 & 5 stars vs 2 & 3 stars. The first time tOSU met a team with comparable talent and a decent scheme they were held to half there ppg average.

Jan 14, 2020, 2:10 PM

We run basic schemes because we can actually afford to leave our cbs on an island for a few seconds. It doesnt take long for our dline to get to the qb. The point of doing it that way is because it makes you very good at what you do.

This was a change from last year, where we tried to run a complex defense and it resulted in many busted coverages/overall trash defense.

This takes the thinking out of playing D and lets your athletes read and react. Think what you want about our dbs, but the nfl scouts disagree with you and your defense just got torched by LSU and gave up over 300 yards passing to an above average passer with a gimpy knee 2 weeks before.

Jan 14, 2020, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Re: How does 15-0 automatically= best ever. ]

I'm not sure who the blue powerade represents, so that might need to be clarified before you answer the question accurately. I am not sure that you (OSU) match up any better than us (Clemson) on most nights offensively. We didn't play very well on offense and to what extent that was due to LSU is debatable. I do believe that most nights your offense would have played better than ours did last night, but so would ours.

I do think that your defense matches up a little better than ours. Whereas, we had to bring blitzes to disrupt Burrow, I think that you could have depended more on your Dline. Whether it would have been enough, we can only speculate.

As for the best ever, I have no problem putting LSU in the argument. A good case can be made, even if I don't agree with it. Michael Jordan once said that it was an honor just to be in the conversation. LSU, you are in the conversation. Argue your merits, take a drink and sit back and listen to the counter arguments from other fanbases. We/they are unlikely to change your mind and you are unlikely to change ours. This part of it is not a contest. It is simply an opportunity to relive some of the good memories that the young men in our respective communities have provided for us. Leave it at that.

Jan 14, 2020, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: How does 15-0 automatically= best ever. ]

Dude drink your trash blue powerade and take a nap ffs.

You're going overboard on being a moron.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 7:19 AM

Who cares? Its just talk. They won and people can speculate all they want. There will always be debates about who had the best team ever. Its meaningless.

because it hasn’t happened in the modern era

Jan 14, 2020, 7:22 AM

Since last year

Jan 14, 2020, 8:09 AM

I will say tho, that this years playoff gave us the best 3 teams since its first season. It was a joy to watch and i only wish we could have thrown oklahoma out and made it a 3 team round robin instead. The rock paper scissors between those 3 would have been intense.

Jan 14, 2020, 8:11 AM

In its existence* i should say. Year one was crap as oregon and FSU were meh.

One of the better teams I've seen but not the best***

Jan 14, 2020, 10:40 AM

Jan 14, 2020, 10:50 AM

Clemson was kinda beat up after the OSU game. It was a very physical game. Had we or OSU played LSU first it might have been different outcome all three teams could have won it all this year, but two of the three had to lose. Hats off to LSU.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 11:06 AM

Like to see last years BEST Ever Clemson team or one of the Bama Best team ever teams this decade play LSU. LOL.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic