Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You might hate the guy....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

You might hate the guy....

Jan 29, 2013, 7:49 AM

But you have to give Tommy Bowden some credit. He pushed really hard for facility upgrades at Clemson. Since those have been put into place the recruiting has followed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think you will find...

Jan 29, 2013, 7:52 AM

very few people that hate Tommy. He ran a clean program and advanced our program more than any other coach in a long while. However, he had peaked as far as winning goes and change was necessary.

He did something that no one has ever done for Clemson...

Jan 29, 2013, 7:57 AM

he hired Dabo who landed CJ, Tajh, Nuke and Sammy and hired Chad and Brent.

I'll give him credit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He did something that no one has ever done for Clemson...

Jan 29, 2013, 8:42 AM

Spiller was a TB recruit because TB won FCA COY

Re: I think you will find...

Jan 29, 2013, 8:08 AM [ in reply to Re: I think you will find... ]

All over it!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I totally agree***

Jan 29, 2013, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Re: I think you will find... ]

I'm not much for hate.

Jan 29, 2013, 7:55 AM

He was just another spoke in the wheel. I believe that Clemson was going to make some changes toward facilities upgrades with or without TB.

After all, they didn't stop when he left.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only the usual delusional Tigernet idiots hate Bowden.

Jan 29, 2013, 7:57 AM

He was great to our University, was a great person, and ran a clean program.

Only thing I dislike is his contract extension, but that's not Bowden's fault.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Only the usual delusional Tigernet idiots hate Bowden.

Jan 29, 2013, 7:58 AM

I thought that was the reason he interviewed with Arky.

Entirely. To dupe Barker to force TDP.***

Jan 29, 2013, 8:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

All that happened while I was away from the internet.

Jan 29, 2013, 8:09 AM

I got my news from a station in Chatt. They only hit a few of the high spots about the entire thing. I understood that he interviewed with Arky and Clemson gave him a big contract extension.

I'd watch the games and to me he had stayed just below the hump for three or four years.

I didn't have much insight into recruiting but it didn't seem that we were going to get any better with him here.

I admit, the tears that fell from his face broke my heart but I knew firing him was the only way to progress and try and get where I though Clemson belonged.

The years of him collecting money after what seemed an extortion job ended my allegiance to him. At first I thought with such a namesake surely he would take other work and relieve us of the million of dollars burden.

I don't know, maybe I just didn't have all the information. Somebody straighten me out if I'm wrong.

he and his friend pulled a fast one on TDP. I wonder how

Jan 29, 2013, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Entirely. To dupe Barker to force TDP.*** ]

much of a cut the AD from ark. got?

Unfortunately, Tigernet has turned into mostly delusional

Jan 29, 2013, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Only the usual delusional Tigernet idiots hate Bowden. ]

fans and Coots.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clap, clap, clap!!!!!***

Jan 29, 2013, 9:25 AM

His loyalty to Rob Spence was his downfall.***

Jan 29, 2013, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Only the usual delusional Tigernet idiots hate Bowden. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Good morning, CGD....I've never hated nor even disliked

Jan 29, 2013, 7:58 AM

Coach Bowden. He brought honor and integrity along with his famous name and was able to find a reasonable level of success. I think the dislike among some fans rose from an unpredictability about his teams, which often stymied and angered a lot of people. As time progressed, I believe the rancor from the fan base caused him to evince a level of petulance and disdain that further made the "marriage" shaky. Unfortunately, that caused the same to be doomed.

Yet, I credit him for a number of accomplishments, including that which you cited, and have wished him well since his departure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

morning Hartins!

Jan 29, 2013, 8:32 AM

I thought (and still do think)he would do a good job for someone following his tenure at Clemson. Time had run its course and the program had really become somewhat stagnant. It was time for a change when he left (not just for us but for him too).
He is a good man and I really hope he gets another shot somewhere.

Would have been a lot more and faster if he would have

Jan 29, 2013, 8:14 AM

won more games...he may have found a personality along the way.

is this going to turn into another form of ford vs dabo?

Jan 29, 2013, 8:36 AM

Tommy gets zero credit. Clemson always upgraded facilities.Do you think it is Tommy that got us to 80K plus stadium seats?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

If you were around this site during that time

Jan 29, 2013, 8:39 AM

you would have NO trouble identifying what I am talking about. Bowden was extremely vocal about needing upgrades and was instrumental in the West End Zone project. He basically said we would continue to lag behind if we didn't do something. He was right.

I think inconsistency was TB's problem.

Jan 29, 2013, 8:37 AM

He won some big games that I didn't expect Clemson to win and then turned around and lost some real head scratchers. He could never put together a complete season. He definitely left a better program than he inherited, though.

Correct on all points!***

Jan 29, 2013, 8:39 AM

No doubt he was a step in the right direction.

Jan 29, 2013, 8:52 AM [ in reply to I think inconsistency was TB's problem. ]

I don't think that's contestable after Hatfield and West. I don't think he followed such a great act either.

Actually, TB didn't have a chance from the git go. We still love Danny and compare all his successors to him. That's a pretty big pair of shoes to fill.

This is what Danny Ford fought so hard for, for so long

Jan 29, 2013, 8:53 AM

and for the very same reason...If only the administration would have pulled its head out of its #### back then we would have been reaping the benefits for the last 20 years...

who?***

Jan 29, 2013, 9:22 AM

I kid...I kid....he did have the insight on that***

Jan 29, 2013, 9:23 AM

I give him credit, he was just too soft in other areas...

Jan 29, 2013, 9:42 AM

When it came to making a change for a poistion coach, he waited way too long. He also didn't go after the best, which Swinney has proven he can, does, and will bring in the best coordinators.

Northern Illinois went to a BCS game without those facilities.

Jan 29, 2013, 9:53 AM

Tommy beat the Coots on the field and that's about all he could do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see your point...but they won't do it consistantly.

Jan 29, 2013, 9:55 AM

Northern Illinois is not who we aspire to be.

I seem to remember "pulling a Clemson" became popular

Jan 29, 2013, 9:58 AM

..under TB and got cemented in the first 2 DS seasons. So, like some say, his teams were weirdly inconsistent. Give him credit for building up a number of things like facilities, but his programs were never that impressive overall. After all in the middle of his tenure with coaches and players of his choice we were STILL going 4-4 in the ACC! because we would lose to teams that eventually had losing records. Go figure.

Re: You might hate the guy....

Jan 29, 2013, 10:42 AM

I hope no one hates him. He laid a good foundation that Dabo and Co are building off of now. I wish him the best.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic